Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Everquest Next: 'We Like Permadeath'

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

personally i disike his permadeath comment - because he offers no meat to the one-liner

its like advertising a car by showing a hiker climbing a cliff face

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

Thre is always an option fpr permadeath. Its called the delete button. 

To those of you who keep claiming you want permadeath - go prove it.

• badyellabadyella Member Posts: 1
    That I think is a pretty badass Idea that could appeal to most. I like the idea of being on a permadeath server knowing you have been on it without dying or transfer for 50 days or 100 days. Great idea DJ. Best solution I think for all. I would enjoy the fear factor while being on a permadeath server and also being able to continue later normally on normal server grinding and raiding and the like.
  • DeVoDeVoDeVoDeVo Member UncommonPosts: 106

As long as he didn't say "we like open pvp for EQ Next", I'm fine.  That's where I draw the line.

I would rather see the details about Perma-Death before making a judgment.  I’m not totally against perma-death because it can actually add a bit of excitement to a game if done correctly.  I would make it difficult to die permanently though.  I mean, you would have to be quite an incompetent player to die permanently.

Perhaps they should make a Bloody EQ server for the perma-death, open pvp and pk/griefer crowd.  Every day, all 102 of them can kill each other off. 

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by badyella
    That I think is a pretty badass Idea that could appeal to most. I like the idea of being on a permadeath server knowing you have been on it without dying or transfer for 50 days or 100 days. Great idea DJ. Best solution I think for all. I would enjoy the fear factor while being on a permadeath server and also being able to continue later normally on normal server grinding and raiding and the like.

Everquest used to have a variety of server rules

- hopefully SOE will do this again w EQN

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664
    Originally posted by Golelorn

Thre is always an option fpr permadeath. Its called the delete button. 

To those of you who keep claiming you want permadeath - go prove it.

It their defense, I would say a game has to be built around permadeath, in most mmos death is meaningless so balance os more like "how many times does the average player die to finish this".

Beyond that some of the fans of permadeath aren't happy with just using the delete button. They want everyone under the same rule.

In the end permadeath in an mmo isn't going to work very well. For starters, dying because of a server burp, sucks.  Being ganked is so much more annying and people will find ways to cheat making the whole thing a big clustrer f**.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Tho it looks like it might not be true..

Permadeath done right can be a very good thing..

• wesjrwesjr Member UncommonPosts: 506
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Nadia

personally i disike his permadeath comment - because he offers no meat to the one-liner

its like advertising a car by showing a hiker climbing a cliff face

What's even worse is that the tweet was a straight up false information.

Where is the false information, even the reply said tehy like permadeath...

eq2gu Nope. Not happening. Many of us here like permadeath, but no.

— David Georgeson (@Qixter) March 6, 2013
    Read more at http://www.mmorpg.com/newsroom.cfm/read/26987/Everquest-Next-We-Like-Permadeath.html#oy1MQqOCxdeTrx93.99

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    I wouldn't give it another look if it had permadeath.
  • Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Been said before, will be said again.........."Until there can be a guarentee against DC's, there can be NO permadeath."

Thanks, bye

• aylwynnaylwynn Member Posts: 94
    Originally posted by FromHell

Best news since I heard that Star Citizen will also have permadeath :D

Could it be.. do games get hardcore again? MMOs no longer catering to carebears? Too good to be true.

This.

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    Originally posted by SBFord
    UPDATE: SOE's Dave Georgeson has rebutted Mr. Smedley's permadeath Tweet by saying, "There is NO permadeath in EQN and we wish the permadeath rumor would die a permadeath."

eq2gu Nope. Not happening. Many of us here like permadeath, but no.

— David Georgeson (@Qixter) March 6, 2013

Thank you David, via Susan.  I was really, really worried there.

Any wagers this one still appears in forum arguments 10 years from now?

certainly, especially since the titles of the thread havent been updated, and think alot on these forums only read a post once...

• stefanakisgrstefanakisgr Member UncommonPosts: 38
    Smedley is a master at manipulating crowd responce . Permadeath my ass , this is only to make people interested in the game . Next you will hear about how this world will be like nothing you have ever seen , how this is the next generation mmo , and more bs . I will not believe anything until I actually see it ..... 
  • BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon
    Originally posted by BizkitNL
    Originally posted by Malcanis

It's on record that Mr Smedly is a big fan of EVE; is this a tangential hint that he's planning to make EQNext the long-awaited "EVE with Elves" - translating EVE's player driven narratives, complex supply chains, economy, full-loss PvP, and maybe even PLEX into a fantasy gameplay setting?

Because I would play the hell out of that.

That might be for a certain server but make no mistake that EQNext will have a strong PVE baseline. Yeah it will have a grest PVP system but anyone thinking that EQNext is going to be some pro PVP game is delusional. EQ has always been about PVE and that stance wont change.

PVP servers will be great but i would bet my yearly income that EQNext will be a PVE sandbox hybrid first and foremost.

Their will be no permadeath in EQNext which has now been confirmed.

I don't see "sandbox" working without a solid PVP base. Though that depends on the definition of sandbox.

EQNext will have PVP servers just like EQ had but if you are thinking that the whole game is going to be PVP before PVE then you might as well give up now. Yes we will have a great PVP system but EQ has always been about PVE and most of their fanbase expect that.

Smed knows his fanbase and he knows that adding a PVP system will bring in more. And who says that "sandbox" needs PVP to actually work, that's your take on it.

When Smed says sandbox then you should think hybrid, anyone taking his words literally is setting themselves up for fail.

So.....themepark plus?

And yeah, a sandbox MMO needs PVP. There's no question about that.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by dave6660
    Originally posted by DJMantiss

Make a toon on a perma-death server, love it, live it, die and you are "killed" on that server and automatically transfered to the "normal" server. So you don't lose all of your progression, just the ability to continue with that character on the perma-death server.

That's a pretty good idea.

What about your friends and guild that get split in two.  It may work in a simple arpg, but in an mmo where success lies with the community and guilds then that is a horrible idea.

If you're going to roll on a perma death server, that goes with the territory.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• LyrianLyrian Member UncommonPosts: 412

Perhaps you are all looking at this the wrong way.

How would you react if it was...

Permadeaths for NPCs.

Unique non-static content!

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Cecropia
    Originally posted by mizanyx
    Originally posted by Yizle

Could it be.. do games get hardcore again? MMOs no longer catering to carebears? Too good to be true.

Name me one permadeath game that has came out and succeeded? How many of these too good to be true permadeath games are you currently playing?

I have no qualms with pvp open world and full loot but permadeath is stupid.

Every arcade shooter. In arcade shooters when you die you lose all powerups. You have to get them again and again every time you die. And in MMORPGs, Realm of the Mad God.

Also, even though it's not an MMO, one cannot ignore the insane success of a little mod with permadeath called DayZ. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of permadeath, but apparently there are lots of gamers that do indeed enjoy it.

DayZ is absolutely an MMO. It's way more of an MMO than say, Age of Conan, TSW, and even WoW and LotRO. 

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Originally posted by stefanakisgr
    Smedley is a master at manipulating crowd responce . Permadeath my ass , this is only to make people interested in the game . Next you will hear about how this world will be like nothing you have ever seen , how this is the next generation mmo , and more bs . I will not believe anything until I actually see it ..... 

Posting prema-bull on Twitter accounts is a great way for SOE to drum up internet interest in the game. First, we get Smedley saying the P word, and then we get a rebuttal from someone else in the company saying no P. Double social networking whammy for the game. Guys, until we see a working playable demo we have no idea what EQN will actually play like, so may as well just wait before forming an opinion.

But, we do know that EQN is due to use the Planetside 2 engine. That's a pretty cool game so if Smedley and the boys mess up EQN they only have their selves to blame as the P2 engine is top notch. EQ2 was sort of killed by SOE due to using a bad game engine. Oh and a bunch of  other things like in-game pizza advertising.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by EndDream
    Originally posted by Yizle

Name me one permadeath game that has came out and succeeded? How many of these too good to be true permadeath games are you currently playing?

I have no qualms with pvp open world and full loot but permadeath is stupid.

Diablo...Diablo 2... Diablo 3....DayZ...

I don't know about DayZ, haven't played it, but all the Diablo games offered perma-death as an option in hardcore mode.  I'm pretty sure the majority of gamers never went that route online, but were willing to try it in single player mode since you can still return to a previous save.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

It's on record that Mr Smedly is a big fan of EVE; is this a tangential hint that he's planning to make EQNext the long-awaited "EVE with Elves" - translating EVE's player driven narratives, complex supply chains, economy, full-loss PvP, and maybe even PLEX into a fantasy gameplay setting?

That might be for a certain server but make no mistake that EQNext will have a strong PVE baseline. Yeah it will have a grest PVP system but anyone thinking that EQNext is going to be some pro PVP game is delusional. EQ has always been about PVE and that stance wont change.

PVP servers will be great but i would bet my yearly income that EQNext will be a PVE sandbox hybrid first and foremost.

I don't see "sandbox" working without a solid PVP base. Though that depends on the definition of sandbox.

EQNext will have PVP servers just like EQ had but if you are thinking that the whole game is going to be PVP before PVE then you might as well give up now. Yes we will have a great PVP system but EQ has always been about PVE and most of their fanbase expect that.

Smed knows his fanbase and he knows that adding a PVP system will bring in more. And who says that "sandbox" needs PVP to actually work, that's your take on it.

When Smed says sandbox then you should think hybrid, anyone taking his words literally is setting themselves up for fail.

So.....themepark plus?

Sorry, that simply isn't true.  It is purely a matter of preference and not a necessity for a sandbox game.

• NeherunNeherun Member UncommonPosts: 280

So.....themepark plus?

Sorry, that simply isn't true.  It is purely a matter of preference and not a necessity for a sandbox game.

Actually, it is. Since Sandboxes are all about freedom, and restricting freedom goes against the very definition of sandbox.

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997
    Originally posted by Neherun

So.....themepark plus?

Actually, it is. Since Sandboxes are all about freedom, and restricting freedom goes against the very definition of sandbox.

very narrow visioned, you can not say no PvP = its not a sandbox at all, its simply to restrictive to even make the label sandbox useful

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Originally posted by Hedeon
    very narrow visioned, you can not say no PvP = its not a sandbox at all, its simply to restrictive to even make the label sandbox useful

Look, there's a circle when it comes to MMO Sandboxes.

Crafting > Destruction

It all starts with the people that create the items, the buildings, the vehicles, etc. Then come the people that use those things in order to destroy their opponent's things. Rinse, repeat. This also makes a player-run economy possible.

That said, on an MMO scale, things NEED to break, otherwise you'lle have a landscape that eventually gets full.

This type of game will attract all types of players, be they PVP, PVE, Crafters, merchants, whatever. THAT is a frikkin sandbox.

Sadly though, most recent releases are more like large-scale arenas than actual sandboxes.

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205
    Originally posted by Hedeon

Look, there's a circle when it comes to MMO Sandboxes.

Crafting > Destruction

It all starts with the people that create the items, the buildings, the vehicles, etc. Then come the people that use those things in order to destroy their opponent's things. Rinse, repeat. This also makes a player-run economy possible.

That said, on an MMO scale, things NEED to break, otherwise you'lle have a landscape that eventually gets full.

This type of game will attract all types of players, be they PVP, PVE, Crafters, merchants, whatever. THAT is a frikkin sandbox.

Sadly though, most recent releases are more like large-scale arenas than actual sandboxes.

Closest I've come to what you describe was Shadowbane. Yes it was a buggy mess but some of the most fun I've ever had in an MMO...

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Perma death? Smed?... Hmmmm... ^^  I'm NOT a fan of perma death, it has way too many down sides, given the existence of the Goonie types.  One can add "challenge"  or "excitiment" to a game without adding that dynamic.
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."