Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recent Surge in Forum Dev Posts

I have to admit.  I'm extremely impressed with the recent forum activity from Eric, Amber, Courtney, and all the developers.  It's as if EA/Bioware flipped a switch and said "Go outside and socialize!"  Who knows if it lasts.. but we've gotten more dev chatter this past week than we did for months...

Comments

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Originally posted by Tigasnake
    I have to admit.  I'm extremely impressed with the recent forum activity from Eric, Amber, Courtney, and all the developers.  It's as if EA/Bioware flipped a switch and said "Go outside and socialize!"  Who knows if it lasts.. but we've gotten more dev chatter this past week than we did for months...

if devs are more out then working on the game, that means or they told then to slow down all development or they are not willing to work that hard on the game again, in both cases that is not good for the game

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • BademBadem Member Posts: 830
    Originally posted by alkarionlog

if devs are more out then working on the game, that means or they told then to slow down all development or they are not willing to work that hard on the game again, in both cases that is not good for the game

Just goes to show that the Devs are damned if they do not post and damned if they do post....

You do know devs get 'downtime' breaks and stuff, maybe they are doing this on their own time with blessing of the Producer? or maybe they have done their bit for the next update and are waiting for something, so instead of sitting around doing nothing they decide to reach out to the community...

In my Job i find time to do my work AND reach out to our online community in company mandated forums

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

Not really. People have this thing called breaks that they go on during the workday. If anything it shows a confidence in their developers, since generally companies will have a few people who are trusted to speak with the community and everyone else is told to shut up so they don't say something stupid.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Originally posted by Omali

Not really. People have this thing called breaks that they go on during the workday. If anything it shows a confidence in their developers, since generally companies will have a few people who are trusted to speak with the community and everyone else is told to shut up so they don't say something stupid.

yeah because if I was working I would use my breaks/free times to post things in a forum about my work......

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

yeah because if I was working I would use my breaks/free times to post things in a forum about my work......

Not my fault if you don't enjoy your job. I know a good deal of game developers, and those that like what they do are excited to talk about the game and what's going on or being worked on whenever they have an opportunity.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

If my next pay check counted on it I sure the hell would. Going home telling your family "I had to work through a break today posting in a forum,  while sipping my coffee" is much easier than saying "we have to eat rice and beans until I find another job".

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    ""If my next pay check counted on it I sure the hell would. Going home telling your family "I had to work through a break today posting in a forum, while sipping my coffee" is much easier than saying "we have to eat rice and beans until I find another job".""
    ^this... And
    ""Not my fault if you don't enjoy your job. I know a good deal of game developers, and those that like what they do are excited to talk about the game and what's going on or being worked on whenever they have an opportunity.""
    ^this, in spades
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Not my fault if you don't enjoy your job. I know a good deal of game developers, and those that like what they do are excited to talk about the game and what's going on or being worked on whenever they have an opportunity.

Just had to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGS2tKQhdhY

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Obidom

Just goes to show that the Devs are damned if they do not post and damned if they do post....

You do know devs get 'downtime' breaks and stuff, maybe they are doing this on their own time with blessing of the Producer? or maybe they have done their bit for the next update and are waiting for something, so instead of sitting around doing nothing they decide to reach out to the community...

In my Job i find time to do my work AND reach out to our online community in company mandated forums

Agreed. That is why employees in Japan are more efficient than in other countries, because they dont work as robots. They have enough breaks and free time at work to get their minds and body in place to keep being productive at work. Not being  sleepy and bored employees being inefficient thoughout the day

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

If anything I would have flushed the in-game moderators down the toilet, because they are the ones creating striffe by delaying or cancelling tickets constantly.  "Ah it's friday and I still have 200 tickets to deal with." "Oh, just delete them and lets get a beer." "OK."

Sadly, the forum moderators / CM's are the most publically visable people at EA's BioWare, with exception to occasional interviews with people in charge .. at least those who do live interviews, not scripted ones (rare to have a one-on-one live interview - but when you have Jeff Hickman or Gabe Amatangelo, they make a lot of regretable comments).

The past CM's did their jobs well, they got overloaded with EA BS and slowed down their responses.  Responses which need EA approval, especially needed on their part if something goes wrong.  Before their firing, some comments were said, specifically one which dealt with exactly how microtransactions would work in the future, like gambling packs.  Could that be a reason for at least one of them?

So rather than EA saying they will work on customer interaction, they just canned very knowledgeable people and replaced them.  Typical corporate behavior.  The new people will falter too, as EA gives them more responsibilities.  Communication will go down, and .. TADA !  a 4th community manager.

EA thinks progress is new people all the time.  A shame, great company in the 80s.  They keep fixing up the fortress walls, but the inside is deteriorating and filthy.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• TigasnakeTigasnake Member Posts: 33
    Originally posted by Karteli

EA thinks progress is new people all the time.  A shame, great company in the 80s.  They keep fixing up the fortress walls, but the inside is deteriorating and filthy.

Last I checked Courtney Woods, and Amber Green have been with the company since launch.  I'm not sure when Eric was hired, but we know he was a great community member before Bioware.

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

They are listening and even posting lots of answers. They have given a good few bits of information today. The planetary comms now have a 50 limit and I was worried about my excess above the 50 and what would happen to them. They gave me an answer , you will be allowed , when 2.0 goes live , to store an extra 50 on top of the 50 , so a total of 100 planetary comms per character.

Also the reputation armors will be able to be worn by level 10's instead of level 45's , in a future patch , the golden gree armor will also have a minimum of level 10 requirement and will be removed from the CM , returning in the future. My guess is that the "legend of the gree" title which is "perfect gold bisector " might have something to do with it.  Also the Gree event will return sooner than we think , my guess is when the first players are legend , well that's a week Tuesday so maybe a week later. 

They are going to announce some good information next week too.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• SaintWalker44SaintWalker44 Member UncommonPosts: 80
    TThey're trying to sell their crap expansion....duh??

All Will Be Well.....

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314

Im almost positive its because all the complaints that the forums have gotten out of hand, and to remind people that they still monitor what people say. 

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by SaintWalker44

Doesn't look crap to me.

http://www.swtor.com/info/media/trailers/making-rise-hutt-cartel-part-1-creating-makeb-video

/shrug

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

For making it easier :) I am so excited... this is going to be a lot of fun.

http://www.swtor.com/info/media/trailers/making-rise-hutt-cartel-part-1-creating-makeb-video

Here is all recent devs tracking and it includes new rules for forums posted today :) It looks like they will be more lenient:)

http://www.swtor.com/community/devtracker.php

Hey everyone,

As I am sure many of you have noticed, it has been the Community Team's goal to try a new direction in communication. We are aiming to speak with you more, in a more casual way, and with more information.

Some of you may have then wondered "what does this new approach mean for forum rules?" Actually, maybe none of you were asking that, but I am going to answer it anyway. The reason? Because that is going to change a bit as well.

Before I explain specifics I want to stress what our goals are for these forums. The forums are meant to be a place where people can come, express their opinions and have constructive discussions without fear of attack or harassment. Please always keep this in mind! Let's talk details:

Where we will be more lenient:

• General "internet" style chatter. In the past we have been pretty harsh about some things, such as calling someone a "troll" or throwing out a "can I have your stuff?". We would remove these types of posts and they could possibly incur a warning or an infraction. In general, we are going to let this slide a bit more, but honestly you shouldn't be doing this in the first place. Just be respectful to each other.
    • Things that are usual forum "nonos" like bumping a thread or "necroing" an old post. We are not going to go as crazy actioning these types of things. That doesn't mean we won't just delete them with no notice. Again, don't do them, because if you are being disruptive, it can still lead to actions being taken against your account.
    • Posts that are often reported for trolling. These types of posts are not always the most constructive or involve direct feedback, but as long as they remain harmless and in good spirits we will err on the side of leaving them be.
    Where we will continue to be very strict:
    • Any type of post or thread that is political or religious and this also includes analogies of the same type. I know some folks will not understand why we have this rule in place. The problem is that when you make a comparison which is religious or political in nature, it almost always derails that discussion into a religious or political one, which is something that just serves no purpose here. So please stay away from these types of posts as they will continue to be removed and will almost always include a warning or infraction.
    • Threads and responses that are vulgar or sexual in nature.
    • Threads where the only subject is another game or is very off-topic. At the end of the day this is still a STAR WARS: The Old Republic forum and so all threads should revolve around our game.
    • Callouts of any kind are strictly not permitted. This includes calling out specific players and guilds. To get one step further, even posts that appear to have good intent ("List of known ninja looters!") are still in violation of this rule and are not permitted. We want everyone to feel that the forums are a safe place for them and this type of post only serves to harass other players.
    • Intentionally posting false information in the hopes of "stirring up" the community. If it is very clear you have made a post with the intent of lying about facts in order to create disorder, your post will be removed and you will be actioned for it. This type of behavior only serves to incite negative reactions from our forum users.
    New Infraction/Warning Structure

With our new policies in place on *what* we will action against, we are also making similar changes to our warning and infraction system. Although we are giving you a bit more freedom in what you can say, if you continually cross those lines you will be actioned appropriately.

In most cases, your first violation will net you a warning. This warning will remind you of what you have done and will act as a friendly reminder to avoid this type of behavior. (For severe violations, a user may skip receiving a warning and go right to an infraction.)

After you have received a warning, if you do something else which violates our forum rules, you will receive an infraction. All infractions are now worth 5 points each and suspensions will work as follows:

5 points - 3 day suspension
    10 points - 7 day suspension
    15 points - Permanent ban

TLDR: We want to provide the opportunity for all of you to be able to express your opinions, even disagreements, in a way that does not have you in fear of being reprimanded. However, even with this leeway we will not tolerate players making hurtful statements, harassing, or directly attacking each other in a way that is not constructive.

One thing I need to make very clear is that even with this change in forum rules, this does not change any warnings or infractions that you received previously. All of those will still stand and will not be reversed based on the new rules.

I hope that all of this makes sense as I tried to spell it out as clearly as I could.

-eric and the Community Team

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

oh and Gree Event is coming back pretty soon :)

Hey everyone!

Although I cannot completely satisfy your request by stating a date that the Gree event will be returning, I do have some information at least. The Gree event will be returning a whole lot sooner than you think (note no ™). Soon in this case, is Game Update 1.7.2!

As part of this I wanted to make you all aware of the fact that along with the Gree Event coming back, the Golden Scalene Armor is going to be removed from the store at the same time, but that armor could always come back at a later date!

As one last teaser, we have some pretty cool information coming next week, so keep your eyes open for that.

-eric

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

if they really enforce those rules, they might as well shut down their forums

if it is unbiased , they will have to permaban all of the posters in a couple of months

how many threads and posts have they deleted already? and did it improve the game,,or even the forums?

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937
    To be honest, it sounds like those new forum rules are to make it easier to police with both automated software (keyword filters) and less trained and less forum moderators. Less staff, less overhead.
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

oh and Gree Event is coming back pretty soon :)

Hey everyone!

Although I cannot completely satisfy your request by stating a date that the Gree event will be returning, I do have some information at least. The Gree event will be returning a whole lot sooner than you think (note no ™). Soon in this case, is Game Update 1.7.2!

As part of this I wanted to make you all aware of the fact that along with the Gree Event coming back, the Golden Scalene Armor is going to be removed from the store at the same time, but that armor could always come back at a later date!

As one last teaser, we have some pretty cool information coming next week, so keep your eyes open for that.

-eric

These can be seen as both good and bad.

Good in that it's something fun to do, and complete.

Bad in that in my view it puts Makeb another month down the line.

Wait for 1.72, a 2 week event. If you include the 5 day early access, the general Makeb (and assumed 2.0) is now at least a month away if not longer. (Another month's sub cycles I guess.)

By the time it finally launches, Makeb will be nearly a year since it was announced.

Originally posted by tiefighter25
    To be honest, it sounds like those new forum rules are to make it easier to police with both automated software (keyword filters) and less trained and less forum moderators. Less staff, less overhead.

Hmmm. How is it that I read this post quite opposite.  image

• General "internet" style chatter. In the past we have been pretty harsh about some things, such as calling someone a "troll" or throwing out a "can I have your stuff?". We would remove these types of posts and they could possibly incur a warning or an infraction. In general, we are going to let this slide a bit more, but honestly you shouldn't be doing this in the first place. Just be respectful to each other.
    • Things that are usual forum "nonos" like bumping a thread or "necroing" an old post. We are not going to go as crazy actioning these types of things. That doesn't mean we won't just delete them with no notice. Again, don't do them, because if you are being disruptive, it can still lead to actions being taken against your account.
    • Posts that are often reported for trolling. These types of posts are not always the most constructive or involve direct feedback, but as long as they remain harmless and in good spirits we will err on the side of leaving them be.
    More lenient means more freedom for posters.
    The rules which they are going to be strict make sense to me.

• tokinitokini Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Originally posted by SaintWalker44

whether its crap or not is debatable, but you are correct. this sort iof thing sems fairly common before any game sends out an expansion. ask questions, ask for feedback as if they are 'really listening!' get the customers feeling good with all this new found communication by 'devs', go silent after.

cryptic was notorious for this, dead silence for months, an update or patch was about to come out, they would post about all the great things 'in the pipeline', patch hits, dissappoints, dev's no where to be found.

Originally posted by Sevenstar61
    Originally posted by tiefighter25

Hmmm. How is it that I read this post quite opposite.  image

More lenient means more freedom for posters.
    The rules which they are going to be strict make sense to me.

It's also 3 stikes and you're out.

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

they claim to have been "harsh" on the "can i have your stuff" posters?

seriously?..theres at least one in every quit post