Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Collision Detection in Camelot Unchained: Yes or No?

Comments

• dynamicipftwdynamicipftw Member UncommonPosts: 206
    Originally posted by Kuldebar
    Originally posted by dynamicipftw
    Having CD doesn't make it not be DAoC style combat. Collision Detection is an environmental setting. It could be exactly like DAoC (I hope it isn't, personally) and still have CD.

Wait you didn't like DAoC's combat? This explains everything...

Do I want CU's combat to be EXACTLY like DAoC's? Of course not, that would be stupid, games can support better systems now without being restricted by the same things a 12 year old game was saddled with: low bandwidth connections, lower processing power, restrictive engines, etc.

The interrupt code alone would be reason enough to make it different.

Well you have terrible taste in combat systems :)

• KuldebarKuldebar Member UncommonPosts: 67
    Originally posted by waynejr2
    Originally posted by waynejr2
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Originally posted by Hairyzac
    Originally posted by FromHell

Collision detection !YES!

Age of Conan has CD, TSW has CD, but in SWTOR you walk through NPC like ghosts because of missing CD

only joke MMO don't have collision detection, it's immersion breaking and crappy

I guess DAoC was a joke MMO then, right?  11m people seem to like that joke of an MMO called WoW, too.  Also I have never played Conan or TSW.  But I have played SWTOR and I certainly had no problem with their system.  I would have beeen pretty frustrated if things didn't work the way they do in that game.

WOW is a shitfest for PVP, who cares what bloody wow does its a raiders game, serious pvpers dont play the bloody thing.

no CD made sense in daoc, because back then everyone was on dial up and didnt have the bandwidth to pass the data back and forth, nowadays with everyone on broadband, you can do it, hell PS2 supports 2000 players per continent, with collision detection, bullet tracing and real time combat, because todays technology is capable of doing it.

I would say that serious PVPers avoid mmorpgs and play more pvp appropriate fps games.

FPS is a different genre than MMOs. It's like saying people who are serious fisherman only go out open ocean fishing, when obviously there are plenty of serious fisherman that hang out on rivers, lakes and ponds.

Yes it is different captaion obvious.  When someone brings up the serious pvpers bullcrap, I have to tell them where to go with it.  Sometimes they are not clever enough to know they were just told that.

Must not be so obvious, because I told you where you could go with your silly categorization.

Those who tread with ill intent
    Beneath our sacred firmament,
    Whether of Hammer or of Tree,
    Albion's might shall strike at thee!

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456
    I'm going to vote for collision detection.  One of my greatest annoyances in DAoC was people running through my character just before my spells completed so that I would get "you must be facing your target" instead of a boom.  Seriously, some people would do that for every single spell and since you couldn't cast while "in combat," your caster was all but defenseless. 

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

Well you have terrible taste in combat systems :)

It appears I'm not that alone in my tastes when you can see how people vote with their feet on any given issue. The point isn't  that popularity makes something better; the point is that some people don't like change so they stick with a 12 year old game and assume eveyone else finds that impressive.

DAoC was a creature of its time, that game would not be made today in the way it was then. The majority of players aren't the kind of players then, as they are today.

I like old movies, well they aren't that popular with the newer generation. I can deal with that, I still like old movies, but I like new movies as well. I can appreciate a black and white movie and my attention span can keep me engaged.

Do I want all new movies to be made black and white? No, I like color.

• Plastic-MetalPlastic-Metal Member Posts: 405
    Originally posted by CluckingChicken
    This isn't DAoC 2, so a lot of you that are stuck in the past are going to find themselves very disappointed.

This is coming from someone that clearly has never played Dark Age of Camelot (per the thread created entitled, "@ Veteran DAoC Players" which was full of douchbaggery - which a moderator had to step in and lock it and tell you not to bait a community made up of DAoC veterans).   Honestly, when I see you post I just lol in my head and scroll past it with the exception of this post response.

My name is Plastic-Metal and my name is an oxymoron.

• SeitrSeitr Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Originally posted by Raventree
    I'm going to vote for collision detection.  One of my greatest annoyances in DAoC was people running through my character just before my spells completed so that I would get "you must be facing your target" instead of a boom.  Seriously, some people would do that for every single spell and since you couldn't cast while "in combat," your caster was all but defenseless. 

You are the third person to say something like this about daoc....am I the only person who used /face? As a caster that is the first thing I did to ensure I was always facing my target.

• zekuelzekuel Member UncommonPosts: 39
    Yes to CD. Along with some good cc it came help to limit numbers in zergs. It also sets up players building stratigies in certain areas and game play/design opportunities for keeps towers bridges. We all don't mind big groups but 100 man zergs can be a game killer(meaning ill log off now and back on later, or ill jump realms) and server crasher.
    Originally posted by Seitr

You are the third person to say something like this about daoc....am I the only person who used /face? As a caster that is the first thing I did to ensure I was always facing my target.

/face didn't help if the enemy player dipped right inside your avatar at the right moment during a cast.

• zekuelzekuel Member UncommonPosts: 39
    Seen a post about players running through other players. Do you guys remember lag casting. Man that sucked getting popped by a target that wasn't even there.

/face didn't help if the enemy player dipped right inside your avatar at the right moment during a cast.

I used it and never had an issue casting

Originally posted by zekuel
    Seen a post about players running through other players. Do you guys remember lag casting. Man that sucked getting popped by a target that wasn't even there.

One of the few things in daoc I absolutely could not stand. 

Did they remove LOS restrictions from spells at some point? Because that's exactly how it worked: combine the lack of CD with LOS denial plus the interrupt code, casters would pretty much be nullified.

• KrullenKrullen Member Posts: 18

There are good arguements for both sides. The best solution to this is to beta test it with and without. We can decide then. Pointless to say you are or are not going to play based on CD alone without having a clue about the other game mechanics, class abilities and engine performance. It's what happens to you during a CD or not that is important, not it of itself.

If you want to your opinion to affect the game, buy a beta access during KS,  test the shit out of it and give feedback in the beta forum. CSE has 14 poeple on the team list of their site. They need us to test and you can bet their ass they will listen with MJ running the show.

DAOC - Krullen - Hero/Tristan

• OdamanOdaman Member UncommonPosts: 195
    It's true that it's too early and the best way to have an answer is beta testing. I can honestly say that as much as I dislike CD and other things that go with it from other games it is not a make or break aspect of the game for me by any means. Honestly there isn't much that will make or break the game for me though ;) 
  • TumblebutzTumblebutz Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Originally posted by zekuel

There was a Sorceror on Percival who had lag-casting perfected.  He could LT the hell outta you while he was out of bow range.

Emeryc Eightdrakes - Ranger of DragonMyst Keep - Percival

RED IS DEAD!

Did they remove LOS restrictions from spells at some point? Because that's exactly how it worked: combine the lack of CD with LOS denial plus the interrupt code, casters would pretty much be nullified.

LOS issues because of other physical barriers plus interrupts yes, but I can assure you a caster was not nullified because of CD issues with people running through you. If you were you didnt know how to play a caster.

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660
    If they can pull it off perfectly with no significant loss in performance then I vote yes. In other words, if they can do it right then CD would be nice. Otherwise no.
  • dynamicipftwdynamicipftw Member UncommonPosts: 206
    So pro-CD guys which MMOs with CD had great combat? Give us names.

Every game in existence has collision detection, yes, even Tetris.

• grimjakkgrimjakk Member Posts: 192

For all it's faults elsewhere, WAR had fantastically fun combat.  The question here isn't the quality of the combat.  It's the scalability.  After they got the kinks out, keep-level RvR in WAR worked beautifully.  It was the Fortress-level battles that people complained about. 

In those situations I could see the server deciding to switch off CD.  Or switch to a simplified version of CD.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Planetside 1 & 2 for a start

I can name plenty of mmos without cd, that have shite pvp combat.... rift, swtor, wow, eq
  • Niix_OzekNiix_Ozek Member Posts: 397
    No game compares to daoc pvp
    Keep the core concepts the same
    Ie no cd

Lets move on

Ozek - DAOC
    Niix - Other games that sucked

• Dane_WildingDane_Wilding Member Posts: 16
    Originally posted by Niix_Ozek
    No game compares to daoc pvp
    Keep the core concepts the same
    Ie no cd

Lets move on

DAoC not having CD was not a "core concept" but practically impossible because of the limitations of the technolodgy.

Mark said he doesn't want to make DAoC2, and why would he? You can go back and play DAoC if you think it's so amazing. Don't oppose to anything new just because DAoC was your favorite game. 

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I disagree anyway there are 3 mmos I've played with great pvp - daoc, planetside & eve, all 3 have their strengths depending on what sort of mood youre in. (never played lineage2 and shadowbane)
  • ArnfiarnunnArnfiarnunn Member UncommonPosts: 61
    IMO it's a plus, still nice to use if it doesn't lead to bug & lag