Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Review from old school D&D fan and MMO veteran

LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Short 4 words reviewev: Its Cryptic dont bother

Ok? Got that...now lets elaborate a bit.

Back when Turbine launched DDO , one of biggest complains and failures with original D&D crowd (the one they hoped to win over) was the action combat nature of the game.

You see D&D is tactical turn based game , while DDO was one of the first "action" MMOs

Yet compared to Neverwinter DDO is complex as EVE is to Hello Kitty Online

Infact Neverwinter feels like unwanted crappy imposter to DDO , even when DDO is kind of crappy itself.

Game complexity is laughable. Its based loosely on 4th ed D&D , but buchered beyond recognition. Simplified , dumbed down , reduced and than simplified again.

Its more like TERA but with less skills.

So if complexity is not there how is graphic ?

There is something wrong with rendering engine of all Cryptic games. And Neverwinter suffers from same. Everything seems fuzzy and unclear with abundance of bloom and fog (perhaps in attempt to hide the crappy graphic)

Game looks ok in motion , especially combat animations - but just dont stop to look at it closer (3d models are laughable)

Foundry projects are ok - but even now its obvious how limited they will be - simply by the fact that game lacks even complexity of DDO. You play one linear mission , you played them all.

Not all is grim however...

Writting in the game is quite good. Lore is closely following the Spellplague Forgotten realms (if you like it)

And lets face it

At least it will be F2P

Shame such awesome franchise will be dragged trough mud :(

Comments

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Agree they have managed to lose my 2 charcters on STO which i have a life-time sub and now will not let me log in past the first screen. Like Funcom im done with Cryptic games.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • sylentnytesylentnyte Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Kinda the same backgound and as much as i was hoping for a great d&d immersive world......i know cryptic all to well. so sad to hear.
  • niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

Back when Turbine launched DDO , one of biggest complains and failures with original D&D crowd (the one they hoped to win over) was the action combat nature of the game.

You see D&D is tactical turn based game , while DDO was one of the first "action" MMOs

Infact Neverwinter feels like unwanted crappy imposter to DDO , even when DDO is kind of crappy itself.

Game complexity is laughable. Its based loosely on 4th ed D&D , but buchered beyond recognition. Simplified , dumbed down , reduced and than simplified again.

There is something wrong with rendering engine of all Cryptic games. And Neverwinter suffers from same. Everything seems fuzzy and unclear with abundance of bloom and fog (perhaps in attempt to hide the crappy graphic)

Game looks ok in motion , especially combat animations - but just dont stop to look at it closer (3d models are laughable)

Foundry projects are ok - but even now its obvious how limited they will be - simply by the fact that game lacks even complexity of DDO. You play one linear mission , you played them all.

Writting in the game is quite good. Lore is closely following the Spellplague Forgotten realms (if you like it)

And lets face it

At least it will be F2P

To me it is what a 3d diablo clone with D&D lore would look like.  Which for free isn't terrible.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

Real D&D has been dead for many years and is never coming back in video game form.

Now if you look at Never winter as a a diablo like action RPG in a D&D lore setting then it's actually a pretty decent game.

• gandlesgandles Member UncommonPosts: 84
    if you dont like it dont play it, simple as that..some people actually enjoy this title...your opinion is yours alone =)
  • CallinCallin Member Posts: 99
    this pretty sums up what i have been able to conclude as well. like i said way back when 4th ed launched. take away the DnD name and it wouldnt be a half bad system but with it on there its a horrible game.
  • aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942
    Originally posted by gandles
    if you dont like it dont play it, simple as that..some people actually enjoy this title...your opinion is yours alone =)

it would appear his opinion is shared by others.

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994
    Originally posted by gandles

Seems like a lot of people are of the same opinion. That said, a lot are enjoying it.

I will wait for the F2P release and I think for once in my life, I was smart to avoid buying early entry (the packs in this game).

If it doesn't cost me anything and it turns out to not be for me (without a ranger class I doubt it will) it was only a bit of time/bandwidth.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Originally posted by Drakynn

Real D&D has been dead for many years and is never coming back in video game form.

Now if you look at Never winter as a a diablo like action RPG in a D&D lore setting then it's actually a pretty decent game.

Except that its not. Its not Diablo - random maps / mobs / drops

And as far as i see , every loot that drops needs to be identified - and id scrolls will be sold at item shop.

F2P playing will be expensive

• epoqepoq Member UncommonPosts: 394
    It's mildly enjoyable but it will be short lived.  Probably the majority of the people with the highest opinions are Founder Pack purchasers who have to believe in the game to justify their pre-order investment, lol.  There's nothing new or innovative about this game, and it's not open world to boot.  Very little exploration, very lackluster classes that lack a lot of customization that I was hoping to see in a D&D related title.  And the fact that there are so FEW classes has always bothered me.  Glad I was in this weekends beta so I didn't make the mistake of buying a Founders pack without knowing what I was getting myself into.
  • IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

And as far as i see , every loot that drops needs to be identified - and id scrolls will be sold at item shop.

So is that comparison with Eve to Hello Kitty Online mean you played the later, or is that as valid as your false claim on ID scrolls being sold at item shop (they are not)? If they moved them to the item shop come release, pretty sure even fewer people would be playing.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

not true at all.. only a couple drops I have gotten needed to be identified and each time I had gotten scrolls from the dungeon anyway..

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

And lets face it

At least it will be F2P

The real D&D is dead and only someone who is insane enough to lose his or her money would invest in a MMO with old rule sets. I like the 4th edition. I would rather enioy this instead of complaining about something that will never exist.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by bestever

you're wrong, you can by the scrolls with gold. Play the game past 10 and you might find that out. Plus the lvling box you get gives you plenty. I have like 30 scrolls right now at lvl 20.

I had 25 scrolls at lvl 12 ;)

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

you're wrong, you can by the scrolls with gold. Play the game past 10 and you might find that out. Plus the lvling box you get gives you plenty. I have like 30 scrolls right now at lvl 20.

You can buy them with gold right now - when the game launches it will be only trough shop or quest reward/drops.

They will give you few as rewards and drops at first levels , to hook you up (and to ward off bad press) . After that it will be

almost impossible to get them outside shop ( this is how f2p works , they need to make money )

And by level 15 every drop you remotely wish to equip will need identify first. I burned trough all the scrolls i had very quickly.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Cleric gameplay = SPAM HOLY LANCE!

Seriously, stupid crap like turning / rebuking undead, choosing which spells to memorize, choosing a deity & domain specialty, or even selecting an alignment is SO 2005. Who needs depth and complexity when the key to winning is just SPAM HOLY LANCE!

This is by far the most dumbed down version of D&D ever used in a video game. So simple a 2 year old with multiple mental handicaps could play it. It makes DDO look like Europa Universalis by comparison.

I will be avoiding this like the spellplague. I feel dirty just speaking of it.

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

These so-called "D&D purists" should probably think for a moment what D&D is actually about.

You think it's about the "complexity"? The classes? The alignments? Turn-based combat? The specific list of skills each class gets? Ability scores? Feats? What?

If you take any one of these mechanics and replace it, you won't have changed the core of the game at all. We can change the setting of a 3.5 campaign from Forgotten Realms to Star Wars, and you know what? Even without the same classes, skills, feats, and other mechanics, it still feels an awful lot like D&D. We could play AD&D, and... yeah, it still feels like D&D.

We can completely change the rules of combat (change the way dice are rolled, replace the dice with some other mechanism, play a physical game instead), and still retain that D&D feel. Is the transition to realtime really a factor? Surely a game can feel like D&D without turn-based combat.

The core of tabletop is in two things: dungeon-crawling and storytelling. By level 10, Neverwinter has more dungeon-crawling than any other MMO I can think of, and with fairly well-written quests, scripted instances, and, most importantly, the Foundry (which, using dialogue options and trigger items, will allow an incredible amount of complexity), I think the storytelling will be quite strong.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Shroom_Mage

These so-called "D&D purist" should probably think for a moment what D&D is actually about.

You think it's about the "complexity"? The classes? The alignments? Turn-based combat? The specific list of skills each class gets? Ability scores? Feats? What?

If you take any one of these mechanics and replace it, you won't have changed the core of the game at all. We can change the setting of a 3.5 campaign from Forgotten Realms to Star Wars, and you know what? Even without the same classes, skills, feats, and other mechanics, it still feels an awful lot like D&D. We could play AD&D, and... yeah, it still feels like D&D.

We can completely change the rules of combat (change the way dice are rolled, replace the dice with some other mechanism, play a physical game instead), and still retain that D&D feel. Is the transition to realtime really a factor? Surely a game can feel like D&D without turn-based combat.

The core of tabletop is in two things: dungeon-crawling and storytelling. By level 10, Neverwinter has more dungeon-crawling than any other MMO I can think of, and with fairly well-written quests, scripted instances, and, most importantly, the Foundry (which, using dialogue options and trigger items, will allow an incredible amount of complexity), I think the storytelling will be quite strong.

but for me I haven't been really into d&d or any table top in over a decade:P

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• augustgraceaugustgrace Member UncommonPosts: 628

You can see what is in the store by typing /cstore  ID scrolls aren't in it.  From two beta weekends now, it seems items that have to be identified account for a rather small percentage, and the id scrolls are so common as drops that you'll never need to buy any.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

You can buy them with gold right now - when the game launches it will be only trough shop or quest reward/drops.

They will give you few as rewards and drops at first levels , to hook you up (and to ward off bad press) . After that it will be

almost impossible to get them outside shop ( this is how f2p works , they need to make money )

And by level 15 every drop you remotely wish to equip will need identify first. I burned trough all the scrolls i had very quickly.

Can you prove any of what you said, or is it just what you think (hope?) will happen?  BTW, calling yourself an "MMO veteran" or "D&D fan" gives you zero additional internet cred.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

...says the GW2 player. I say it's Arenanet don't bother.

Neverwinter is surprisingly good and a lot better than a ton of other titles out there.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Originally posted by FromHell

Neverwinter is surprisingly good and a lot better than a ton of other titles out there.

Theres no need to slam another game when defending another.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by Ginaz

having a certain gaming history can cause credibility problems.

It's like Volkswagen drivers bashing Ferraris. Happens all over and over again here nowadays.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618
    Originally posted by Ginaz

having a certain gaming history can cause credibility problems.

It's like Volkswagen drivers bashing Ferraris. Happens all over and over again here nowadays.

Current cryptic games.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/champions-online

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/star-trek-online

Current Arenanet games.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/guild-wars

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/guild-wars-2

When you bring in credibility issues when someone supports a game you dont like, try to check which camp you are on.

The community prefers Arenanet games over Cryptic.

That doesnt say that Neverwinter is gona be a bad game, but liking GW2 shouldnt affect someones credibility because of your bias to it.

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549

And lets face it

At least it will be F2P

It's a F2P game... what else did you expect. Fail.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!