Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I tried to like this game

ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

I have tried several times to like this game.

For me the reasond I don't play

-sniper class doesn't work.You cannot tell friend from foe at long range.

-I really did not get a sense of a real war going on...but just a game to be played

-when I tried the game there were no good tutorials

-100% of the activity is fighting.....no crafting  or any other activity

-game feels clicky....and not a welcoming player base for noobs

-I REALLY wan't third person viewing....not first

-I could not strongly identify with any of the factions

-game seemed too twitchy(fastest finger wins)  vs more tactical or strategic

Comments

• Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780
     its an fps before is any sort of mmo.

• VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466
    Dont worry, this game isnt for everyone just let it pass and find something better suited for you.

• BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf

-I really did not get a sense of a real war going on...but just a game to be played

completely understandable

the Sniper Class in this game (or Infiltrator)  has a love/hate relationship, esspecially if your a hard core sniper.  it is a type of role that tests someones patience, as well as having  guess work of where the enemy will be coming from.  with the current map system, it is up to the player to anticipate their enemies behavior; such as what direction they are heading, what they are fighting or capturing, if there are any potential flanking areas where you can capitalize.  and of course the type of rifle you take with you,  a bolt action type, or semi auto.. and so on.

as for the real war, that has been the common complaint. the meta game is something, unfortuantely will have to be worked on continiously. 

tutorials as they are on lacking,  even with the VR Training room to be placed soon it will mostly be limited to trying out different type of weapons and vehicles.

alot of it is really just preference, your not the only one that wished to have third person  and not first when in infantry among other things.  

• VindicarVindicar Member UncommonPosts: 138

I'm not a big fan of PS2 but, as an ex hardcore FPS player, I appreciate it from time to time. It really has some "WOooOOAh" moments.

I disagree with everything you said except the green parts witch are , indeed, big flaws in this game. All a matter of personnal appreciation of course.

Old school french hardcore whiner. Online since T4C.

I was "Namless" and "Daroot" in AO (Rk2)
    Been known as "Vindicar" (Aion (EU), SWTOR (EU), WoW (EU).
    Recently  Known as "Wundicar" and "Wundee" in Age of Wushu (US) and Wulin (EU)

Franky Rivera Reyes , From the Reyes Brotherhood (Star Citizen)

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    This is the only decent game Sony has pumped out in a decade, you should put a picture of it on your wall and stare in wonder.
  • ericbelserericbelser Member Posts: 783

The lack of depth is what is killing me; I enjoy the game, I could live the with cheats and bugs, but there is just no point. I play little every now and again because I installed it already and it is free...but it's just FPS...I could do the same in a lot of other games...the 'epic' scale battles mostly end up being epic fails of lag deaths, discons and increasing server + gfx load problems.

The 'strategy' element is basically non-existant and the tactics aren't much better given that the terrain doesn't change, nothing significant is deployable and you end up fighting over the same handful of bases worth defending over and over.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Join a good outfit.
    You will see the game has plenty of strategy and tactics then.

I agree it needs more meta game though. They need to bring in bridge battles and continent locking from ps1.

Personally, despite lacking the meta game of the first planetside, I find it the best mmo in years.
  • CelerionCelerion Member Posts: 30

This game is purposfully an MMOFPS, not an RPG.   If your looking for crafting, beyond upgrading gear, a FPS is probably not the genre for for.    

This is just a game.  Not to sound like a jerk and mean this in a nice way, it is just a game.  A fast paced action one, but a game never the less.  Again, maybe not the genre for you.  But there are plenty of other options.

This game is set up as a first person shooter until you are killed, then it is third person for a few seconds before you respawn.

I know the above may really sound like "jerky comments" but they aren't intended that way.  Just think you were playing the wrong game, but not every game is for everyone.  Just like I personally dispise any sort of crafting that is anything above basic.  I'm just not a crafting fan. Some are, I am not.    Giving Planetside 2 a try, once the thing finishes downloading; seems like my type of game from the play streams I have watched.   Running around blowing things up in a face paced game.  No being stuck waiting for some goofy item to be crafted that takes up half of your supplies and needs 12 hours before you can do anything else.

To each their own.  Maybe Planetside 2 just isn't for you, thats fine.

Celerion (will be CelerionX on Planetside 2).

Celerion
    Contact me on Twitter @IAMCelerion and chat.

• BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399

The sniper isnt a sniper, its an infiltrator.  Your job is to sneak into bases, flip their terminals, sabotage their generators and make use of the scout function in game, which will light up on the map for everyone else the enemy.  It does has a long range two shot gun as an option however.  Its not a sniper thats why its called infiltrator and not sniper.

This is a battle field FPS game, not a crafting game, not a TPS mmorpg.  This also means identifying with factions is moot, as there is no story beyond the back story blurb.  There are no NPC's ect.

All outfits are looking for players, just join one, theres no reason not to have any and all players in an outfit, no reason to kick players out either.  If you dont get with an organized outfit you just roam, which is viable as an infiltrator.  A bit of knowledge on the game, which takes a few hours to get, will give you the means to create a battle hot spot.

As its not a RPG, with no storyline, tutorial, or NPC's for guidence...really the best thing to do is to just jump in and learn under live fire.  ZERO death penalty so just die, try to figure out what happend and keep at it.  Its a very rough learning curve, doesnt take long to grasp it and learn why, then takes a bit of time to figure out what to do once you understand why your dying.

If you have issues with death in video games steer clear of this game, you can die in an instant from tank rounds, aircraft, other infantry.  A good vehicle driver (air or ground) will kill you before you know hes there.  Your going to die a LOT in this game.  If your not ok with that move on.

Game is twitch based, its a FPS. It doesnt pretend to be anything other than a FPS with a persistant world (rather than deathmatch and CTF)

Conclusion: Your doing PS2 wrong. Very wrong.  This isnt an RPG by any means.  Part of the problem with a site called mmorpg.com putting games that are in no way related to RPG's or mmo's (in other cases) people get the wrong impression walking into the game and are dissapointed.

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973
    Originally posted by JimmyYO
    This is the only decent game Sony has pumped out in a decade, you should put a picture of it on your wall and stare in wonder.

LoL

DC Universe is a fun game. Come on now..

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Never had this issue myself each faction looks different for me.

This is a game, its not real/

Its not complicated really..

Your right, its an mmofps..

I was ok when i started in beta

Its an FPS game

*shrug*

its an fps game fastest will win..

At the end of the day not everyone can like the same thing.. its pretty clear this one is not for you... but at least you can say you tried it and came to your own conclusion..

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    I like the game, great way to pass some time, but they really have to get the aim bots under control. I spotted the company some money to help them out, but until I see something done about the aimbots no more. 
    I do like the game, I just can no longer play it. They broke something bad a while back and there is no sign of a fix. I went from being able to play 3-4 hrs no problems to having it lock and crash my comp in under 30 min every time I play now. Not worth putting up with that to wade through.
  • fadisfadis Member Posts: 469

I liked the game - but I've grown disillusioned.

1)  Too many technical problems.  The TechTest started 11 months ago... and in many ways, it has been a long slow process toward progress.  Myself - I've been unable to play the game due to de-sync bug introduced with March 1st patch.  Aside from that... in general, it seems like every patch corrects a few bugs, while introducing a whole new series of equally troublesome (and lingering) problems.  I don't think most expect perfection or even have unreasonable expectations, but PS2 feels like an endless cycle where you're never playing a relatively bug-free game - just endless beta testing. 

2)  I haven't seen ANY progress toward an enduring endgame/metagame/wargame and the breeze of originality that I felt was blowing through the development team in the pre-test/pre-launch days... has... well... blown through and is gone.

Now - they've turned the game into a typical FPS score-grinder and begun recycling tired ideas (kill 10 rat quests, anyone?) from the oldest of MMOs.  Nothing is scarce.  Resources don't matter.  Continents aren't connected (just a bunch of different mini-games).  There is little organic flow to combat, because nothing really matters.  If you can find a good battle to just grind score, then you've pretty much 'won.'  The new 'Alert' system just gives more score if you go fight where you're told.  Yay!  More score.

Oh... and I guess there is a 3rd thing...

3)  I think the F2P model has caused problems (see above 1 and 2).  Instead of being properly tested, I think a lot of "pay" content is being rushed.  The result is not only more bugs - but I think a lot of it isn't particularly high quality.  Weapons that seem ill-conceived, unnecessary, poorly balanced, and barely tested.  I will admit that after what I thought was some early garbage from the cosmetic teams.... this is improving.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988
    Originally posted by fadis

I liked the game - but I've grown disillusioned.

1)  Too many technical problems.  The TechTest started 11 months ago... and in many ways, it has been a long slow process toward progress.  Myself - I've been unable to play the game due to de-sync bug introduced with March 1st patch.  Aside from that... in general, it seems like every patch corrects a few bugs, while introducing a whole new series of equally troublesome (and lingering) problems.  I don't think most expect perfection or even have unreasonable expectations, but PS2 feels like an endless cycle where you're never playing a relatively bug-free game - just endless beta testing. 

2)  I haven't seen ANY progress toward an enduring endgame/metagame/wargame and the breeze of originality that I felt was blowing through the development team in the pre-test/pre-launch days... has... well... blown through and is gone.

Now - they've turned the game into a typical FPS score-grinder and begun recycling tired ideas (kill 10 rat quests, anyone?) from the oldest of MMOs.  Nothing is scarce.  Resources don't matter.  Continents aren't connected (just a bunch of different mini-games).  There is little organic flow to combat, because nothing really matters.  If you can find a good battle to just grind score, then you've pretty much 'won.'  The new 'Alert' system just gives more score if you go fight where you're told.  Yay!  More score.

Oh... and I guess there is a 3rd thing...

3)  I think the F2P model has caused problems (see above 1 and 2).  Instead of being properly tested, I think a lot of "pay" content is being rushed.  The result is not only more bugs - but I think a lot of it isn't particularly high quality.  Weapons that seem ill-conceived, unnecessary, poorly balanced, and barely tested.  I will admit that after what I thought was some early garbage from the cosmetic teams.... this is improving.

I have to agree at this point, and gave up on the game the day after ESL's were released.

I know it's a dead game, but i'd be more motivated to play Planetside 1 at this point if it ever goes free. It just isn't worth dealing with the performance/network issues, which is a major bummer in a game with an extremely low TTK, when there are plenty of other shooters that don't have this problem.

I'm also pretty upset with the way they've handled the addition/balancing of new weapons with the old ones.

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    It's pretty dead now anyways, they could get away with having one server tbh.
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    PS1 was way better, imo.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• ZecktorinZecktorin Member Posts: 231
    Heres your problem. join an outfit. Nothing like you and your buddys screaming come at me with a tank zerg or screaming like little girls because your being chased by an entire platoon of air support.
  • sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950

I didn't have a problem telling who was who at long range as an infiltrator. My problem trying to snipe at range was people kept freaking appearing and disappearing because of changing draw distances. I tend to gravitate toward sniping type classes in any shooter and this was a new experience for me, and not a good one.

There were also long stretches where I just felt bored from grinding out certs.

I do like the game though, because the good battles were great fucking battles. I still havn't logged in since mid January, however.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    I think they lost a lot of people with the fast T2K. PS1 seemed to embrace MMORPG players more whereas PS2 seems to aim more for shooter customers.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

I have no issues sniping, but I use a large and high res screen  generally with the intention to be able to see enough detail to make a friend-foe distinction. It more about the helmet and shoulder bits, as those tend to not change color across factions (they stay the same color even when you put on camo or have an obvious enough shape to be different)

The geometry of an object is perhaps the most important part rather then the colors. For seeing all that you need higher resolutions, so it's not something best handled at all times.

Planetside 1 and 2 were never very bit on third person shooting. The largest difference between the two would be that you could still toggle to a third person mode in the first one (though you ui went poof so aiming and playing in that mode wasn't practical) that was largely beneficial for defending/camping towers and corners.

Can't really avoid the clicking unless you want to pull back on the action in the game.

Ultimately these are actually traits PS1 had in common as well. The game is pretty singularly focused on the player conflict, and there's very little narrative in-game motivating their actions.

In regards to Planetside 1 the lack of many other gameplay aspects was alrgely because they had to pull them in order to get performance. Like there was a point when they had fauna roaming about the world and could have implemented NPC units to flesh out the idea of living territories.

This was something that I had hoped they would work ro expand on, but it seems that they were more focused initially on making sure the game was blanced and playable functionally on almost an e-sport level first, and I think that was somewhat to the detriment of the flexibility and potential of the game.

It's been a process for them to add-in aspects that existed in the previous title, and it's going to be slow headway for a long time it seems.

Sorry you didn't like the game, hope you find something else that works out better for ya. ^_^

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

My play session was already low (20-30 minutes) and I'm quickly losing interest with this game now that they're adding another batch of pump action shotguns which is already wrecking infantry gameplay. They just need to hurry up with PS1 going F2P.

• HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821

Now that headline made me laugh. Just to make you reflect your initial attitude, which is only possitive in terms of your personal development as a being on this planet:

Why do you force yourself to like a game? If you did not force yourself, why did you say you tried? Trying implies effort. And effort is so wrong when it comes to something you want to enjoy :-) if you dont like it, skip it. You have the free will to do so.

Was there peer pressure involved?

I remember myself, when electronic music began to become really mainstream and I was listening to rock before and all my friends where going to clubs where really hot chicks were hanging around (yeah how foolish and shallow.. blame my youth) and I couldnt stand the hectic beat of DnB and most house music. And what did I do? I forced myself to listen to it and somehow I started liking it. But I can tell you, that is very, veeery bad.

Why? Because something inside you tells you all the time what is wrong what is right. Mostly it tells you only things that are right and empower you with an incredible awesome feeling (like those when you were truely free as a young child @ the beach). So listen to that voice. Not to the critical voice, thats your god-damn ego. Listen to the other one, the more silent one. And nothing can go wrong in your life.

Hell, I love my verbal excursions... bringing me all the time from gaming, to psychology, to spirituality - oh well ;)

tl;dr: Enjoy what YOU like. And stop listening to other people. It isnt the right stuff in the end anyway, what other tell you. You'll see somewhere soon in life. Not even what the goverment says. Yeah, I just said that.

Originally posted by Zecktorin
    Heres your problem. join an outfit. Nothing like you and your buddys screaming come at me with a tank zerg or screaming like little girls because your being chased by an entire platoon of air support.

No offense, but comments like this really make no sense to me.

If you don't like the game mechanics or style, or you simply cannot play because of the bugs/problems how does joining a unit help? Nor does being in a unit change the messed up draw distances, rendering failures or other in game problems when you can play.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by ericbelser
    Originally posted by Zecktorin

No offense, but comments like this really make no sense to me.

If you don't like the game mechanics or style, or you simply cannot play because of the bugs/problems how does joining a unit help? Nor does being in a unit change the messed up draw distances, rendering failures or other in game problems when you can play.

It is because planetside 2 is a wargame.

You really can't play it properly without an outfit - you can't fight a war with 1 person.