Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just a complete disappointment..

KumateKumate Member Posts: 69

From the videos I've seen prior to trying the open beta, I was not expecting anything exciting and boy was I right to not get my hopes up.  This was the first time I tried to ensure I wouldn't get excited, I need to do this more often.

First impression,

Some boring cutscene that shows a quick picture of a ship already "ship wrecked" and what do you know, you are on a beach without anything and there is magically some guy two feet from you to give you you're first quest.  Magical line points you to something that is within veiwing range, so no real need for the line. 

I look at the world and my character and I can't believe this game is a current MMO.  I dislike WoW (thou I played it) but I mean WOW has more stuff going on in their world than this one does.  Graphically WOW is obviously behind the times but atleast the NPC's are moving and their is a ton of liveliness that makes the world a living enviroment.  Not this world, while I think everyone will enjoy that it takes almos zero computer power to play this game (I never dropped below 60fps) but man the graphics use technology that has been around since the 90's!!!  The bushes instead of having leaves that are independent from each other use the old school oriental fan system.  The same goes for the trees!  If you looked at a wagon made of wood...every single board has the exact same look to it.  You may think this is petty but when the entire world uses this system it gives it NO life at all.  GW2 a game I am just as disappointed with did impress me with their world just being so unique.  The Devs were proud of the beautiful world they created and make viewing points that gave a lot of experience to ensure its players saw its world.  The physic systems in this game is just poor.  I mean IT DOESN'T EVEN MAKES SENSE.  Let me explain.

So I am standing next to a tent with a quest guy.  There are 4 NPC's all in the area and none of them are actually moving.  Joy, some random guy is walking into their encampment (you) and they are all laying around like they are drinking beer talking about going fishing.  The main quest guy once you click on him speaks to you in some deep voice and tells you that some 15 feet away are a bunch of undead that need to be slain before they over run the camp.  Well joy, I'm glad to see youre taking the threat so damn serious.  It's ok, I will go slaughter them all for you with my rusty sword.  So I take the quest and I am off on my marry way, but before I get there I noticed the encampment banner.  It is just blowing in the wind.  I MEAN IT's BLOWING IN THE WIND.  It is flaying so hard you would think it was hurricane season.  So I take a look at the trees, not moving at all.  Wait ...I take that back, after I look for an extra second ...they move a little.  Like a little breeze hit it and made it move..and then it fell right back into place.  Then I look closer...and the grass....it moves the exact same way as the trees and the EXACT same moment.  They tree moves and the grass moves.  The grass stops and the tree stops.  Last time I checked their mass is a lot different.  A small breeze that moves a tree would make grass move a lot more.  Also just because there is wind doesnt mean it effect everything the same way.  But once again I look up at the Banner, boy it's moving still like a Tornado is going to drop on some skellies and do my job for me! 

So I go fight these skellies, I hit them with my sword, and they barely move.  I do my three hit combo (fighter) and they stand in the sameplace and don't move.  My sword doesnt push them back or make them dodge...they just magically take it with no actually real movement.  I use my shield, which is a volient upward motion that would stagger any man if it connected.  The skelly stands there and doesnt even move back one inch.  But soon as it hit's zero health the skelly explodes into 10 different peices like he was a suicide bomber.  Doesn't matter if it was a sword swipe or a shield, he explodes the sameway everytime.  Tera's action combat which is pretty decent but has it's flaws makes this game feel like something that was created at ITT Tech in some small town in Kansas (no offense...just saw the new OZ trailer and was thinking of Kansas).

After the skillies they wanted me to go collect arrows from dead bodies, 9 to be exact.  I looked at my character, which has some of the worse body posture I have ever seen and looked like a RIFT character with the graphics turned down to meduim settings and I just couldn't play anymore.  I uninstalled and just went to mow the lawn.  I don't care what people say when it comes to ..omg you played like 10 minutes and already flamming it.  You didn't get to the good stuff!!!!  I've played almost every MMO that has come out in the past 16 years (spent 10 grand + easy on MMO's) and I can tell you that by just trying the first 1% you can get a general feel on how the game is going to be.  A few exceptions would be DDO (the raiding system is unique and character development really occurs in that game), Age of Conan (the animations when you hit high levels really make pvp fun), and Eve (when you are a noob in that game...you are really a noob, no matter how much experience you have in other mmos).  Neverwinters first 1% to me was predictable, boring, lifeless, and really scary ugly. 

If you think that game is fun you are only holding onto some hype you pumped up yourself or trying to validate spending money on the early preorder purchase.  The game will have a decent lifespam because it's so simple that anyone can play it and the graphics don't require much, a 5 year old computer will still get 30+ fps. 

My hope is that EQ next, Camelot Unchained, Elder scrolls, world of darnkess, or Black Desert actually make something new and innovating.  We need something that is not ...what Neverwinter is.  I know the devs while creating this just couldn't of felt they were doing DnD justice or MMO's justice, this was just a paycheck for them.  Some people do jobs because they love it and others do it because it pays the bills.  Neverwinter pays the bills I guess.

Comments

• AlexanderVendiAlexanderVendi Member UncommonPosts: 373
    My ... eyes.... :(
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    out of curiosity, did you submit your comments to whatever system takes bug reports, comments, etc?
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ShaikeShaike Member UncommonPosts: 301

Everything is JUNK , including this horrible game and rift and wow and whatever other game you mentioned!!!

Sorry to be blunt but they are all the same - only thing new is WildStar, but i will wait till i actually play it (even though i will probably buy at least a copy for me and another for my wife and maybe another for my brother - as it seems to be the only thing original enough and worth playing).

Just my 2 cents...

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

I appreciate the information. I was never a huge supporter of Cryptic, as anyone can see by my post history in the STO boards. However, Im enjoying this one a heck of a lot more than I thought I would. The bugs, lagginess, rubberbanding, and whatnot don't bother me during the testing phase. I just report bugs, audio issues, and whatever seems wonky. I know the game won't be optimized.

I never expected missions or quests that broke the norm from other MMO's, like fetch quests or kill x quests. Im having most of my fun with the combat. I know some of you can't stand it, but Im finding I really like it.

Anyway, you are describing the tutorial area, where the enemies just stand there waiting for you to smack them into oblivion. They aren't supposed to damage you. They are there for you to practice combat. Just like in the WOW starting area, or the Rift starting area, and what have you.

The quests are simple indeed, like gathering arrows and putting them into a barrel. It just seems to me that it's just getting used to the buttons, the combat, and quest mechanics. Sounds like a tutorial area to me.

To be honest, the quests don't seem to get very complex as you go on, as I am level 10 (no Im not playing the beta 24/7), and they are pretty run-of-the-mill.

I guess my point is, there is something here for a lot of people who give it a chance. If I can find something to like in a Cryptic game, I think a lot of others can to.

Geez... so far I like something Cryptic made. WHATS WRONG WITH ME!!!!?????

• MsGamerladyMsGamerlady Member UncommonPosts: 192

Dude relax it's just a game.

• KumateKumate Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by Cacaphony

I appreciate the information. I was never a huge supporter of Cryptic, as anyone can see by my post history in the STO boards. However, Im enjoying this one a heck of a lot more than I thought I would. The bugs, lagginess, rubberbanding, and whatnot don't bother me during the testing phase. I just report bugs, audio issues, and whatever seems wonky. I know the game won't be optimized.

I never expected missions or quests that broke the norm from other MMO's, like fetch quests or kill x quests. Im having most of my fun with the combat. I know some of you can't stand it, but Im finding I really like it.

Anyway, you are describing the tutorial area, where the enemies just stand there waiting for you to smack them into oblivion. They aren't supposed to damage you. They are there for you to practice combat. Just like in the WOW starting area, or the Rift starting area, and what have you.

The quests are simple indeed, like gathering arrows and putting them into a barrel. It just seems to me that it's just getting used to the buttons, the combat, and quest mechanics. Sounds like a tutorial area to me.

To be honest, the quests don't seem to get very complex as you go on, as I am level 10 (no Im not playing the beta 24/7), and they are pretty run-of-the-mill.

I guess my point is, there is something here for a lot of people who give it a chance. If I can find something to like in a Cryptic game, I think a lot of others can to.

Geez... so far I like something Cryptic made. WHATS WRONG WITH ME!!!!?????

My point about the skellies wasnt about them just standing there, it was that my attacks in an action MMO doesn't knock them back or push them away (TERA, Vindictus, and the other new MMO that is like Tera I can't remember right now).  If I am going to hit someone with my shield...man let it feel like I smacked them.  Push them back, knock them down..something.  I hit 10 skellies and it felt like he was trying to slow dance with me instead of actually fight.

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

Originally posted by MsGamerlady

True, but games that utilize highly popular IP's such as Neverwinter, D&D, Star Trek, Lord Of The Rings and Star Wars have much more scrutiny cast at them not only from gamers, but from people who love that particular IP as well.

If a person feels their favorite IP is being used in manner they find untasteful, they will speak up about it. Can't blame them for doing so.

• kirak2009kirak2009 Member UncommonPosts: 543

Seems like ya spent more time writing this essay, then ya did playing.

Who cares, people will play, people will like, people will hate

go spend some time with your 10 year old

"All expectation leads to suffering" Buhhda

• ArteanArtean Member UncommonPosts: 215

That's the problem.

When in doubt, troll.

It's DnD, the thing that got all of us older folk (33) involved in fantasy in the first place.  Wizard 101 or Free Realms is just a game.  That's like saying dude relax it's just a car after someone keys you're brand new Lambo.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Shaike

Everything is JUNK , including this horrible game and rift and wow and whatever other game you mentioned!!!

Sorry to be blunt but they are all the same - only thing new is [BrandX].

Substitute your title for [BrandX]. Life just couldn't get any simpler.

Why didn't we see this sooner?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by Kumate

It's DnD, the thing that got all of us older folk (33) involved in fantasy in the first place.  Wizard 101 or Free Realms is just a game.  That's like saying dude relax it's just a car after someone keys you're brand new Lambo.

They would do themself a huge favor by just removing the D&D brand form the game. As it stands a lot of people will have expectations based on the brand that will simply not be met by the game. Hell keep the setting just admit that its NOT a D&D game.

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

I've yet to see a negative review on the game written by someone in a manner that imparts on the reader their competence to give such a review. Apparently forumlating one's thoughts as an adult is to much these days. I haven't even played the game, beta's sitting there but I've no desire to preview it. It very well may be a horrible game, but why can't any of the negative reviews write without coming across as an adolescent? My brother behaves the same way, no matter how often I harp that the manner in which he communicates can speak more about him than his subject, he still persist's with a " It's easier to write this way".

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882

"epic wall of text crit you for 10000000 damage"

"dies"

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,454
    [mod edit]

It seems like you're basing you're entire OP on the initial noob starter area.  Of course its going to be easy.  It should be.  You don't need to spend 15 hours playing to form an opinion, but you should play past the first 10 mins of the noob zone and try the rest of the game.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588
    Originally posted by Redemp

I've yet to see a negative review on the game written by someone in a manner that imparts on the reader their competence to give such a review. Apparently forumlating one's thoughts as an adult is to much these days. I haven't even played the game, beta's sitting there but I've no desire to preview it. It very well may be a horrible game, but why can't any of the negative reviews write without coming across as an adolescent? My brother behaves the same way, no matter how often I harp that the manner in which he communicates can speak more about him than his subject, he still persist's with a " It's easier to write this way".

I feel exactly the same.

All reviews I've read from professional media are mostly positive, sometimes skeptical, but they explain everything in a well ordered manner of points of view and thought.

Negative reviews are from nobody's saying "This game sucks, it's made for 12 years old, you need to have a mental problem to play it" etc. Like, zero credibility.

Guess what OP. We appreciate your opinion. Go play another game then. Bye.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

Originally posted by Alber_gamer

Negative reviews are from nobody's saying "This game sucks, it's made for 12 years old, you need to have a mental problem to play it" etc. Like, zero credibility.

Add "Its not D&D!!!" to your list.

Originally posted by Ginaz
    Originally posted by kirak2009

[mod edit]

It seems like you're basing you're entire OP on the initial noob starter area.  Of course its going to be easy.  It should be.  You don't need to spend 15 hours playing to form an opinion, but you should play past the first 10 mins of the noob zone and try the rest of the game.

Funny you have a GW2 banner.  I played GW2 and guess what I enjoyed the start.  You come into the world and right away are dropped into the middle of an amazing story event.  Minotaurs are raiding the fort and an huge earth elemental needs to be killed or you are freshly born from mother earth and then you fight a HUGE turtle boss that is amazing.  It made me want to play more and I did.  I went all the way to 80 and found out their isn't much of an endgame and the dungeons are without any real coordination mechanics.  That's when I quit.

Neverwinter just made it a lot easier for me, I played for 10 minutes and realized what I usually find out after spending a lot of time devoted to a game.  I did get the lawn mowed today, that was a plus.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

I dont think the OP fits this category.

and I pretty much agree with everything he said, I played to 8 before falling asleep, the combat mentioned by the OP, I could get past, hell its the same as TSW where no actions affect mobs you are fighting, but the lack of character advancement, and the lackluster itemization where oh its a sword its this class only, its a robe of cloth, must be wizard only.  Oh and look, every other wizard has the same exact items with the same exact stats, sweet.  The should have meshed what TERA did with D3/POE type loot system, where travelling on a meaningless quest could at least reward you with something more then a +3 power upgrade, and they might have had something.

The only positive is the fluidity of the combat to me, the animations are pretty cool for the Wizard, but I really dont understand how its action combat, with every spell I cast autohitting or must have a target, what happened to just firing missiles in any direction I like?

Seems you didn't read my essay good enough or are a little slow on the reading comp.  My son is 7, the guy that agreed with me...he believes any 10 year old could play it.  Sorry I didn't spend 15 hours in the game to finalized my disappointment.  I gave this game as much of a chance I would an ugly chick during a blind date after she promised me she was a model.

Neverwinter just made it a lot easier for me, I played for 10 minutes and realized what I usually find out after spending a lot of time devoted to a game.  I did get the lawn mowed today, that was a plus.

Thats what I thought.

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541

Seems you didn't read my essay good enough or are a little slow on the reading comp.  My son is 7, the guy that agreed with me...he believes any 10 year old could play it.  Sorry I didn't spend 15 hours in the game to finalized my disappointment.  I gave this game as much of a chance I would an ugly chick during a blind date after she promised me she was a model.

Funny you have a GW2 banner.  I played GW2 and guess what I enjoyed the start.  You come into the world and right away are dropped into the middle of an amazing story event.  Minotaurs are raiding the fort and an huge earth elemental needs to be killed or you are freshly born from mother earth and then you fight a HUGE turtle boss that is amazing.  It made me want to play more and I did.  I went all the way to 80 and found out their isn't much of an endgame and the dungeons are without any real coordination mechanics.  That's when I quit.

Off-topic: it is actually anti-GW2 banner. What i find more interesting is the fact that it is almost the end of Q1, 2013 and i am still having fun with it :|

On topic: I respect your opinion, but i think that you should have at least try playing it for about an half an hour, if you were to try to be more objective. However, on the other hand, i can see your point. There were just some games that were that kind of awfull that i wanted to puke within a first 5 minutes of the game.

I really, really hope that NW will not be that kind of game. However, i didnt wanted to make into beta, so that i wont spoil the stuff to early for me. I will wait initial release for my judge on the game

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• Total_HuntTotal_Hunt Member Posts: 65

WALL OF TEXT

tl;dr?

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

Well I for one appreciated the OP's review.  He acknowledges that he only played for 10 minutes and that should be enough ya'll got obsessed with that point and didn't move on to apprach the real problem with this game.

Most of us have played and loved games with terrible animation and graphics at one time or another, indie games or old games.  The thing is, if you are going to have an indie game be successful you need to have a draw to it.  You weren't able to invest in graphics and animation:  OK.  That is OK.  So what are you going to give your players?  You need some sort of innoventive gameplay or some quality that makes your game worth playing.  What you CANNOT DO is re-hash the gameplay from other MMOs tack on one or two gimmicks and expect people to enjoy your game.

I was a fan of NWN series (never a huge fan or fanatic but I bought them), but this MMO never interested me.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    Originally posted by wormywyrm

[mod edit]

teamwork in an MMO is always a bad thing apparently.  

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

Its a free game. You were thinking you were going to get what excatly?  Its also not a released game.  I would like to see them make the basic game solid then after release grow into a more compelete game.

MMO devs don't have unlimited time and money.  There has to be give and take.  And with a right from the start ftp model they are going to have to improve the game as more money comes in.

The poly's are kinda crappy but it will allow for a larger range of possible customers.  If you aren't even selling a box you have to make the money somewhere.