Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WildStar: Uplink Analysis Focuses on PvP

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The WildStar team has posted the latest Uplink Analysis where players are asked a specific question, answers are given and then the development team weighs in with the game's feature. This week, players were asked what their biggest frustrations are when it comes to PvP.

In WildStar, we want player skill in PvP combat to enable access to the best rewards that PvP will offer. To meet that goal, players will have an individual Elo rating (similar to League of Legends) for each PvP feature (Battlegrounds, Arena, Warplot PvP) that is used as a representation of player skill. The rating will be used for matching, as well as to determine access for buying higher quality gear and other types of rewards.

The end result: As they get higher ratings, skilled players will filter to the top, opening up new gear options to stay competitive with players of similar ratings. New players to the game will start at the bottom and will be matched to players who are also starting out or are still learning the ropes.

If you’re not in a competitive mood or are trying out PvP for the first time and don’t want to throw off your rating, you can participate in “open” play, where you are matched with other players based on your gear.

Read the full post on the WildStar site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    More instanced PvP, how very original.
  • demonic87demonic87 Member UncommonPosts: 438
    Well, they just confirmed a gear grind for PvP. Il pass now, thanks for trying guys!
  • Mange1Mange1 Member UncommonPosts: 266
    Looks like a great update to me, keep it up!
  • jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    I'm ok with this.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

My biggest PvP issue is games making PvE raid gear used in PvP. Then PvPers are required to raid, grind dungeon instances, etc. instead of PvP. If the best gear you can use in PvP is only acquired by PvPing, I can live with that.

I am perfectly fine with PvP being mainly instanced arenas in a mostly PvE game. Virtually all PvE games that try to do something more complex than that end up screwing it up badly. It would be especially hard to do well in a 2 faction game like Wildstar.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• RogoshRogosh Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Warplots sound amazing. "This is where Warplot PvP shines. In Warplot PvP, Warparties (formal guild-like structures – you can be in a Warparty and you can be in a guild!) will be able to own large plots of land in which they can add modifications to build up their base. The Warparty can then queue up for Warplot PvP and be matched against similarly skilled/built-out opponents. Warparty players will be able to damage and destroy modifications, repair their own modifications, and lay down mines, traps, and much more."

"Its better to look ugly and win than pretty and lose"

• HeartsparkHeartspark Member Posts: 69
    ..and thousands of players just passed on Wildstar.   Cookie cutter pvp, put in as a after thought and not part of the game.  Pathetic and lazy implication. 

Heartspark: Animist rr12, bors, Lone Enforcer, Retired

Dranzerk: Berzerker (kay) retired
    Dhei: Spiritmaster (Kay) retired
    Goblinking : Hunter (Kay) retired
    Moongoose: Shadowblade (Kay) retired

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    I would like to know where you came up with "thousands of players" no longer interested in Wildstar? PvP never really works in mmos, and having it instances PVP is fine with me and my guild as well, and that's afew hundred of us, so please post a link to your doom and gloom numbers.
  • wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472

You know what ticks me off? It is totally and utterly simple to create a great game with awesome PvP. Obviously, I'm a fan of OWPvP because I feel it is the most spontaneous and enjoyable version of it. Nothing says "I like this game" like always having to be on edge because you can be attacked at anytime by opposing factions or individuals.

Everyone will scoff at this but AION had a great system, TO AN EXTENT. When in open world, solo kills resulted in monumentally more AP (pvp points, as it were), whereas grouping resulting in significantly less spread around the group. Killing lower level players repeatedly resulted in being 'cursed', where the individual was seen on the map for ALL to hunt and kill. He was then kicked out of the opposing factions area for a certain time (I wasn't a fan of the kick out, but I guess it's a punishment worthy of the crime).

AION's biggest fuck up, like EVERY dumb MMO it seems, is making PvE and grinding the best and most efficient way of obtaining 'PvP gear' or 'PvP currency.' The whole idea of PvP gear should be removed completely, HOWEVER, by doing PvP, players should be able to obtain the TOP TIER weapons and armor that avid PvE players can obtain through raiding.

Then obviously is itemization and how top tier weapons/armor shouldn't be such a gigantic difference in power that a max level player with full top gear 10on1 a bunch of fresh maxed level players.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    lol really is Wow in Space round 2 this game isnt it.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Originally posted by Rogosh
    Warplots sound amazing. "This is where Warplot PvP shines. In Warplot PvP, Warparties (formal guild-like structures – you can be in a Warparty and you can be in a guild!) will be able to own large plots of land in which they can add modifications to build up their base. The Warparty can then queue up for Warplot PvP and be matched against similarly skilled/built-out opponents. Warparty players will be able to damage and destroy modifications, repair their own modifications, and lay down mines, traps, and much more."

sounds like forts in AOC

be dead in 2 months 

• TalmienTalmien Member UncommonPosts: 189

It just seems wrong to me anymore to try to mix PvE and PvP content in one game. It never seems to work out. People always either want to be all PvP or all PvE with no cross over what-so-ever.

Being a PvE'er in games where PvP is instanced and off to the side causes PvP to never really bother me. I'm sure i'll give it a try in Wildstar, but PvE is where its at for me.

I can certaintly see the frustrations the PvP crowds have been facing with games lately, but luckily there is Camelot Unchained on the horizon.

• RateroRatero Member UncommonPosts: 440

I wish they would learn their lesson and either make the game PvE OR PvP and not both.

Ratero.

• zekeofevzekeofev Member UncommonPosts: 240

I dislike battleground style pvp but warplots sound insanely interesting to me. I love upgradeable defenses and especially when played by the same group of players. I love that it might be a persistant defense structure you upgrade overtime.

Could be amazing or could suck. We will have to see.

• MallarkyMallarky Member Posts: 73
    This sounds terrible
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Rhonen

I wish they would learn their lesson and either make the game PvE OR PvP and not both.

Ratero.

I agree.

Still, keeping a casual eye on this. I will at least give it a try at launch.

• derek39derek39 Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Some really weak minded people commenting on this. Play the game when it comes out or in beta. Then your jump to conclusion theories may be justified.
    Personally I'm still very interested in wildstar.

Monster Hunter since '04!
    Currently playing: MHW & MHGU

• tokinitokini Member UncommonPosts: 372

"So, using a Capture the Flag (Battleground) example, we feel that the "grab and capture" mechanic itself was a little simplistic and we wanted to shake things up a little. Defenders also had a very simple role: keep the potential carriers away from the flag or run them down before they got out of the base.

In WildStar, a Capture the Flag map works a bit differently. A neutral flag spawns in mid-map (rather than each team having 1 flag to grab and capture for each “round”). Let’s pretend that you’ve nabbed the flag and you’re bringing it to your base to capture it. You run into your capture area, the flag is “planted” in the ground. The score: Your Team 1 – Enemy Team 0.

After a few seconds, a new neutral flag spawns mid-map to fight over. An enemy player sneaks into your base and STEALS your planted flag! Where the heck are your defenders? He makes it over to his base and while your team was running around with pants on fire, the enemy managed to also nab the neutral flag as well. The score: Your Team 0 – Enemy Team 2. Interested yet?"

WOW! defending your flag room? no one has ever done THAT in capture the flag!

really not seeing how this extra mechanic would change anything, strategy wise.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,855

Originally posted by Heartspark
    ..and thousands of players just passed on Wildstar.   Cookie cutter pvp, put in as a after thought and not part of the game.  Pathetic and lazy implication. 
    ...and hundreds of thousands dont care.

When PvP focused MMOs prove they arent a niche thats doomed to fail then maybe you can expect more than just "cookie cutter" instanced PvP.

• BuddyDudeBuddyDude Member UncommonPosts: 52
    Sounds fun and exciting to me. Good times
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

"Warplot PvP"

No world pvp?

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Talmien

It just seems wrong to me anymore to try to mix PvE and PvP content in one game. It never seems to work out. People always either want to be all PvP or all PvE with no cross over what-so-ever.

Being a PvE'er in games where PvP is instanced and off to the side causes PvP to never really bother me. I'm sure i'll give it a try in Wildstar, but PvE is where its at for me.

I can certaintly see the frustrations the PvP crowds have been facing with games lately, but luckily there is Camelot Unchained on the horizon.

Virtual world. Dont seperate the two. One game not two, or three.

Your post through me off for a second. PvE and PvP is so tightly intergrated into AoW, They are in sepratable. I forgot that games we've been playing are going the opposite direction. Cutting corners  taking the easy way out imo, or just a lack of creativity and know how.

Regardless. Give me a game world, not game parts under one title.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • HeartsparkHeartspark Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Originally posted by Heartspark

...and hundreds of thousands dont care.

When PvP focused MMOs prove they arent a niche thats doomed to fail then maybe you can expect more than just "cookie cutter" instanced PvP.

They have already proven not a niche, its NOT about pvp focused, its about putting pvp and pve together seemless.  Many have done this and kept LONG marketshares.   The ones that failed are the ones that focus just on pve.   Many simply leave because no end game, pve is not endgame.  Its lazy for a developer in this day and age to not make a game that seperates pve and pvp.  Its poor planning.

The world does not want or need a WoW game anymore, developers have to evolve to keep intrest of players.   Every idea as far as storylines go has been hacked and slashed out that it becomes boring. 

Take Guild wars 2, its a PRIME example. Cookie Cutter pvp, nothing new that WoW or others did not do years before it.  The game lost tons of people after everyone maxed level within a month.  That is poor design.

Heartspark: Animist rr12, bors, Lone Enforcer, Retired

Dranzerk: Berzerker (kay) retired
    Dhei: Spiritmaster (Kay) retired
    Goblinking : Hunter (Kay) retired
    Moongoose: Shadowblade (Kay) retired

• floreairfootfloreairfoot Member Posts: 59
    Sounds fun, can't wait to try it out!
  • aceofmmosaceofmmos Member Posts: 17
    Sounds very interesting, will defo try this one.