Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft 9 million ?

davc123davc123 Member UncommonPosts: 458

wow is old game but  still 9 million ppls  how can survival with this  new games ?

what attracts players to play ?

wow will never be die? 

what you think will be any game soon successful as WoW ?

sorry for my bad englis

Comments

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

It's nothing complictaed... It survives because it offers a fun social experience to those that play it, and those people are willing to pay for what they find fun.

Some people can cry out about the 'death of WoW' as much as they like but people rarely give it credit for the fact that it is so old and still so HUGELY popular with a vast section of MMORPGers.

• EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    It aint call vanilla for nothing, graphix dont mean nothing to alot wow fans its the gameplay that keep coming back and its a sub which alot of mmorpgs fail too maintain. I didnt like wow to much. Im looking for too this year new mmos.
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Not this again..no..no..no..just no.... NO!!

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Etherignis
    It aint call vanilla for nothing, graphix dont mean nothing to alot wow fans its the gameplay that keep coming back and its a sub which alot of mmorpgs fail too maintain. I didnt like wow to much. Im looking for too this year new mmos.

People dont want to lose 7 years of progression, Which is funny because it gets reset every xpack.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

I know why it has 9 million users:

1. Low system specs

2. Cartoony, light hearted, colorful, high fantasy

3. Easy to play

4. Celebrity endorsement because Blizzard has unlimited budget for ads

5. Game is polished and runs smooth

I just wish everyone who wants WoW, plays WoW, and other developers stop the god damn cloning of this concept.

That is all.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Ugre to keep subscribing because you can't play at all any more if you don't.

Ugre to not get left behind.

Feeling of wasting what you've worked on.

Feeling of being cut off from social circles and friends if you can't play.

Take your pick.

• gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074

Well WoW is not going to die,  it decreasing spells bad news for blizzard and activion.  They are a big ass corperation who want to grow,  when they are not growing stocks go down and everyone starts complaining that their money hose is failing.

Gw2 is also coming on strong against WoW.  3 million sold,  if this keeps rising WoW has a competitor,  and one you dont have to pay for.

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by FromHell

1. Low system specs

3. Easy to play

I just wish everyone who wants WoW, plays WoW, and other developers stop the god damn cloning of this concept.

That is all.

Says the guy who wants to clone terrible Swg instead? LOL

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

Wow has nine million subs because they actually do research on things before they develop.  They understand how game mechanics need to work together to assure their is a positive outcome to your actions that can truely benefit you or someone else in their persistant gameworld ALL THE WAY TO END GAME and beyond.  Everything from economy to crafting to PvP to Exploration. 

Knock the graphics all you want but all I see most other games doing is copying Wows mechanics adding better graphics but not understanding why they are doing it, so in the end there is no value in the action, its just a repetitive game mechanic with no real gain.  GW2 crafting is a perfect example.  Its a different take on crafting and fun until you figure out the trick, but there is no value beyond making items for yourself.  The stuff is basically worthless while your leveling because everyone is making the same stuff.  There is no real econonmy with a glut of most of your resources.    Then there is the extreme of making needed resource items so rare that its pure luck finding them forcing people to the cash shop.  This is not a real economy.  its a combination of a meaningless mousewheel and a cashshop grab.

In wow everyone can find a niche that adds value to their character development or the econony and make it fun to do.  Other games just try to add some repetive mostly meaningless mechanic. and think they have the WoW forumula.  But in the end it adds no value to the game its just a bare process that looks pretty or fluid.

It takes a group of people that understand how an economy works to make a good game because you can apply that same logic to loot tables, raiding and character development as well.  Allot of games have a publisher and some paid programs but no one with any real braings to plan the inner working of the game worlds mechanics.  That is the missing element to most MMO's.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

1. Low system specs

3. Easy to play

That is all.

+1  I agree with every point you made.  You don't have to go buy a $1000 computer, you can go to the pawn shop or used computer store and get a $50-100 machine that will run it fine.  There's plenty of laughable moments and quests. It's easy to learn, but raids can be difficult.  WoW was the first MMO commercial I ever saw during primetime TV, Rift was the only other one I've seen so far (and defiance, but it's not out yet).  

Now if only other developers would learn to stop making some super graphics, complicated, super serious games, then they'd actually be a successor to WoW maybe.  Who knows how long that will take, it took developers all this time to finally figure out that players want another DAoC type game, even though people have been calling for a DAoC2 for like the last 5+ years.

Edit: I've said it for years, when you make a game you want it to be able to run on just about anything, you'll have a much much larger potential playerbase.  When your game requires your players to have a $1000 machine, you just limited yourself to like 10% of the computer market.

• snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724
    9 million players global, with 7 million asian players

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by snoocky

Source? Or are we going to throw around un substantiated claims?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by jimdandy26

1. Low system specs

3. Easy to play

That is all.

Obviously you don´t know that SWG´s original concept eats other MMOs for breakfast

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by jimdandy26

1. Low system specs

3. Easy to play

That is all.

Obviously you don´t know that SWG´s original concept eats other MMOs for breakfast

Sure it does. Which is why there was such an exodus to WoW that Sony implemented the Nge right? I mean it eats other games for breakfast so much that it ate itself into getting shut down. Take off the rose colored glasses, make a terrible pun and scream YEAH. You will be doing pretty much everyone you converse with a favor.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654

This is actually correct.

WoW in the west is not as big as people think. It just has, like Diablo, a small group of very vocal fans.

It's just dwarfed by games like League of Legends.

• mrbungle419mrbungle419 Member UncommonPosts: 47

1. Low system specs

3. Easy to play

That is all.

You forgot to mention, "Asian MMO addiction."  I'd love to see the splits on these sub numbers.  Considering they certainly do include WoW China in their sub numbers, but the Chinese don't pay monthly, it would be very interesting to see how many subs log on each month in the EU/NA.  I'm sure it's a lot lower than people would expect after having that 9 million (or 12 million in LK) number shoved down their throats.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Greyhooff

WoW in the west is not as big as people think. It just has, like Diablo, a small group of very vocal fans.

Comparing F2P game like LOL with WOW? genuis! ofcourse it is going to dwarf WOW. Even Runescape has more players. but we are talking about P2P category here.

And like someone else asked earlier..got any thing to back up the claims that 7 million out of 9 million players come from asia?

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    Originally posted by Greyhooff

Comparing F2P game like LOL with WOW? genuis! ofcourse it is going to dwarf WOW. Even Runescape has more players. but we are talking about P2P category here.

And like someone else asked earlier..got any thing to back up the claims that 7 million out of 9 million players come from asia?

Doogie is correct, comparing a free game to a paid for game is ridiculous. If you want to compare a free game to a paid game then count the free games accounts and count the paid games accounts is about as close as you will get to being accurate. WoW has 9 million ish players but how many players do you think it has had? LoL stats include me as a player because I created an account and played one game, WoW stats don't include me because I haven't played the game for 6 months now.

The split between east and west is more like 60/40 than 7mil vs 2mil.

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785
    Check how many latest expansion was sold. You will get rough number of active players (NA & EU). AFAIK, for China (not sure about rest of Asia) expansions are free. They only buy gametime cards, for what I believe Blizzard count them as subscribers.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by AzurePrower

Ugre to keep subscribing because you can't play at all any more if you don't.

Ugre to not get left behind.

Feeling of wasting what you've worked on.

Feeling of being cut off from social circles and friends if you can't play.

Take your pick.

So people actually enjoying the game and having lots of fun, enjoying the lore.. etc. is out of the question? Whatever...

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by Etherignis

People dont want to lose 7 years of progression, Which is funny because it gets reset every xpack.

From a guy that has been playing on and off since vanilla, I gotta say this is only true for a small percentage of players.  

In reality, a lot of WoW players have tried other MMOs because in all honesty, they are kind of getting bored of playing the same game over and over again.  WoW players over the years have been like the rest of MMO players: they got super hyped for Conan, Warhammer, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, and GW2.  But a lot of them , after trying out the next 'triple A' title come back to WoW because in their eyes, it is still the better game that is more fun to play.

Of course some people leave over time - it justs natural to want to try something new after so many years.  But WoW still attracts new players at a very high rate as well that replace the ones that leave.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

The reason WoW still has around 3 million western subs (about 8 times as many as the next closest sub game, and over 10x as many subs as any f2p/b2p/freemium game not named gw2)

Theres no conspiracy theories.  yes, some stay because their freinds are there and some stay because of their high level characters.  but this is less than 5% of the players.  the reason why they stay:  they are having fun.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

The reason WoW still has around 3 million western subs (about 8 times as many as the next closest sub game, and over 10x as many subs as any f2p/b2p/freemium game not named gw2)

Theres no conspiracy theories.  yes, some stay because their freinds are there and some stay because of their high level characters.  but this is less than 5% of the players.  the reason why they stay:  they are having fun.

I love when people just make up statistics like this, crushing their whole argument.  For all anyone knows, you could be right, but there's no way of being able to tell.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

I love when people just make up statistics like this, crushing their whole argument.  For all anyone knows, you could be right, but there's no way of being able to tell.

eh, ok maybe I should have said 'likely'.   Maybe its 1%, maybe its 5%, maybe its 10%.  Its certainly not a big number though.  the general point is still plenty valid.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    86% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil