Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Awesome "first-time-impression"! What's the catch?

Comments

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500

It is only me, or zones in Neverwinter are so small and too restricted ? I cant force myself playing at all because all you do is follow quest track, jump from small instance to another and thats all ... And also, why is the game so easy ? :) You just rush 1-20 mobs, kill em, move ... faceroll all around

For me .. MMORPG needs to have open world feeling but in Neverwinter i dont see/feel it at all. For me the whole world just feels like one straightforward rout of instances, you cant go left or right, just forward. No thank you.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

The catch?

Just like all Cryptic games they hype you with the starting zones being so lively and fun then when it launches and you soon find out the rest of the game is lacking in content.

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

Originally posted by Catbert
    Thanks man but this does not get me into the beta unfortunetly :(Rob.

Are they out of keys or do you not know the answer? They email you a code you redeem on the official site for beta access.

Originally posted by Dogblaster
    It is only me, or zones in Neverwinter are so small and too restricted ? I cant force myself playing at all because all you do is follow quest track, jump from small instance to another and thats all ... And also, why is the game so easy ? :) You just rush 1-20 mobs, kill em, move ... faceroll all aroundFor me .. MMORPG needs to have open world feeling but in Neverwinter i dont see/feel it at all. For me the whole world just feels like one straightforward rout of instances, you cant go left or right, just forward. No thank you.

Of course it's easy. You expect epic challenges from level 1? We haven't seen much of anything beyond level 15, so it's still too early to make the claim that it's too easy.

I don't understand why this complaint comes up so much. "Man. These tutorial mobs are dying in two to three hits! This game is for casuals!"

One way or another Neverwinter is about the dungeon crawl. It really wouldn't live up to its title if it was any other way.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Originally posted by Shroom_Mage
    I don't understand why this complaint comes up so much. "Man. These tutorial mobs are dying in two to three hits! This game is for casuals!"

Because you're supposed to do a dozen attacks per 1st level mob, of course.

Tutorial mobs are where true hardcore lives, yes yes yes.

Of course it's easy. You expect epic challenges from level 1? We haven't seen much of anything beyond level 15, so it's still too early to make the claim that it's too easy.

One way or another Neverwinter is about the dungeon crawl. It really wouldn't live up to its title if it was any other way.

Why you only reply to one of mine concerns? I know why, you agree with the first one :)

And BTW.. when I see super easy start at lvl 1-5-15 I am sure there wont be super hard lategame and I doubt there will be any epic challange at all, maybe couple of wipes on hardest bosses, easy. Almost everything will be easy so everyone can handle it.

Maybe I am wrong but I played every mmorpg for past 12 years and this is how I feel it :)

But I am sure there will be thousands of players who disagree with me and will enjoy the game and I am glad for it. I will just find game that fits my style :)

I am sure there wont be super hard lategame

So you're predicting a slippery slope.

(checks list)  Got it. 2 forum points for DB this time next year, if he's right.

Originally posted by Antiquated

I am sure there wont be super hard lategame

So you're predicting a slippery slope.

(checks list)  Got it. 2 forum points for DB this time next year, if he's right.

maan .. 90% posts on mmorpg.com are just predictions and assumtions :) we ll see in few months if I am right or wrong

maan .. 90% posts on these forums are just predictions and assumtions :) lol

Well sure, it's the weekend.

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646

Why you only reply to one of mine concerns? I know why, you agree with the first one :)

And BTW.. when I see super easy start at lvl 1-5-15 I am sure there wont be super hard lategame and I doubt there will be any epic challange at all, maybe couple of wipes on hardest bosses, easy. Almost everything will be easy so everyone can handle it.

Maybe I am wrong but I played every mmorpg for past 12 years and this is how I feel it :)

But I am sure there will be thousands of players who disagree with me and will enjoy the game and I am glad for it. I will just find game that fits my style :)

I have yet to play a MMO where first 5 to 10 levels were super hard. And yes i have been playing mmos for 12+ years now. As far rest of your sooth sayer predictions and 'mark my word' comments... nope not buying it either.

• CatbertCatbert Member UncommonPosts: 28

Thanks man but this does not get me into the beta unfortunetly :(

Rob.

Are they out of keys or do you not know the answer? They email you a code you redeem on the official site for beta access.

It is only me, or zones in Neverwinter are so small and too restricted ? I cant force myself playing at all because all you do is follow quest track, jump from small instance to another and thats all ... And also, why is the game so easy ? :) You just rush 1-20 mobs, kill em, move ... faceroll all around

For me .. MMORPG needs to have open world feeling but in Neverwinter i dont see/feel it at all. For me the whole world just feels like one straightforward rout of instances, you cant go left or right, just forward. No thank you.

Yeah I got the code and it redeemed a pony or somthing haha im guessing I just get items when its fully released as it wont let me log into the game still after redeeming the code...

Thanks,

Rob.

Of course it's easy. You expect epic challenges from level 1? We haven't seen much of anything beyond level 15, so it's still too early to make the claim that it's too easy.I don't understand why this complaint comes up so much. "Man. These tutorial mobs are dying in two to three hits! This game is for casuals!"One way or another Neverwinter is about the dungeon crawl. It really wouldn't live up to its title if it was any other way.

I addressed your other 'concern'. I don't consider it a negative. Neverwinter is D&D, and D&D is about the dungeon crawl. I'm actually impressed how much the game feels like the Neverwinter Nights games in spite of the fact that combat is so different. The reason is the focus on instances and mini-dungeons.

I can't think of too many games, especially MMOs, that aren't super easy from 1 to 15. Can you?

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

Yeah I got the code and it redeemed a pony or somthing haha im guessing I just get items when its fully released as it wont let me log into the game still after redeeming the code...Thanks,Rob.

Oh. That's weird. It worked for me... :[

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by Nicksino999

I only made it to level 10...but its just not for me.  This is a game where you play characters created by developers..sad really.  here are some of my issues.

- no zoom (@!$&* What?)

- Quest glitter - i know you can turn it off but the fact they even include this says alot about the game they created...very linear outside of what players make..let them pay and do the work F*N Brilliant!

- clunky animations - Compared to tera (which isnt a game I enjoy either) thier animations are lacking. 

- You feel lighter than it looks - watching the total biscuit youtube video made me think this game you will feel heavy...not really.

- Perfect example of how you are playing cryptics character, you cant take out your weapon your self..they do it for you. (if there is a way to do this let me know!)

- the cleric glide is stupid

- same starting zone for everyone

- the music has no variation

- the cutscenes without voices look worst than tera and aion (didnt think that was possible)

- quest dont scale to amount of people in your group. (maybe this is different for dungeons you would think)

- no story options

- all classes starting out feel the same...except clerics are massively OP

there is more...but ya ill just say its not for me.  I hope others will enjoy it.

I haven't even played the beta and based on what I have watched and read it is starting to look like this will not be my D&D game fix. The more I have read about this game makes me say even louder this game does not deserve the D&D title. Most of the core D&D elements are not in this game. Where is the alignment choices? Where is the dual classing option? Even watching the game play is a little sad because the classes do not play like a D&D character.

• aromeroaromero Member Posts: 49

Too bad - I can't play. Launcher doesn't patch - Weird cuz I never had problems with PW games before...wanted to give this a run cuz I love free aim/combat games n Tera just wasn't doing it for me.

Edit: decided to install again and it started patching so woot!

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

The catch is that game is free to download and play. I will throw some money in cash shop every month or so if i like fluff.

Defiance, POE, NW and GW2..can't go wrong with this combo in summer.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

Defiance, POE, NWN and GW2..can't go wrong with this combo in summer.

Good for you playing NWN, I was worried for a sec you was gonna be playing the clunkingly dull and pedestrian looking Neverwinter MMO there for a second.

• aromeroaromero Member Posts: 49

Originally posted by Vesavius
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser Defiance, POE, NWN and GW2..can't go wrong with this combo in summer.

Good for you playing NWN, I was worried for a sec you was gonna be playing the dull and pedestrian looking Neverwinter MMO there for a second.

Lol haha, err if it sounds that bad then my expectations have been lowered once more...dunno about this game but I hear it's good then I hear it's bad. GW2 sucks to me...

• CatbertCatbert Member UncommonPosts: 28

Yeah I got the code and it redeemed a pony or somthing haha im guessing I just get items when its fully released as it wont let me log into the game still after redeeming the code...

Thanks,

Rob.

Oh. That's weird. It worked for me... :[

Haha finally got it working... Thanks again mate :)

Rob

Originally posted by Xepo
    I haven't even played the beta and based on what I have watched and read it is starting to look like this will not be my D&D game fix. The more I have read about this game makes me say even louder this game does not deserve the D&D title. Most of the core D&D elements are not in this game. Where is the alignment choices? Where is the dual classing option? Even watching the game play is a little sad because the classes do not play like a D&D character.

Someone's not familiar with 4E...

Classes, combat systems, and even alignments aren't truly the core of D&D. There are two things that (to me) make D&D what it is, and those things are storytelling and dungeon-crawling. Neverwinter has those in abundance.

I think the Foundry is the thing that will make this feel more like a D&D game than any other MMO. I've already seen people recreating campaigns they used in P&P.

• templarxtemplarx Member UncommonPosts: 181
    For in case someone haven't mentioned it. To ZOOM , press "b" to go into investigation mode. It's just in combat mode where you're kinda fixed with a specific angle.
  • MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by Kanyl

I have always known about this game, as everyone else around here, but I have never really paid attention to it. For me, I thought the game was doomed as a heavy instanced game, with bad mechanics and generic questing, ruined by a P2W shop! I guess I was wrong?

I have played now for an hour (not much, but still!) and I really liked it! Everything seems so well polished so far and it looks like a game that could be my main game, now in a near future. But I have not explored the in-game shop (if it's up yet?), or anything else that is "important" for a good game with a bright future. I have just tried the game, without knowing anything!

I have heard so much bad about Cryptic and Perfect World and that's the part that makes me worried! What's the catch? Will the future be bright for this game, even in their hands? Is this game just awesome, or is there anything terribly wrong with it? Why should I NOT be playing this game? 

Thanks and have a good day! :)

I assure you that all the hate is unfounded.  People for some reason just want to hate on them for the sake of hate.  I have yet to see a single legitimate complaint about the companies.

"Their games have lockboxes so therefore they suck".  Well so does TERA, Aion, and Guild Wars 2, but I don't hear you complaining about that.

"They are pay to win with the ability to buy stuff like armor".  That is a straight up lie.  The only thing they have that could give give cash shoppers an edge are certain weapon enhancements that are readily available to non cash shoppers via a bit of hard work and/or the auction house.  Other than that its costumes, mounts, and pets, none of which give the cash shoppers the advantage.

"Cryptic and PWE sucks".  This complaint that gives no reasoning or explanation whatsoever is perhaps the most common complaint I have seen.  The people who post them are either too lazy to come up with a lame excuse or realize that their argument isn't valid but don't want to change their mind out of vindictiveness.

I assure you, just about everyone who says that Cryptic/PWE is bad is either making stuff up or complaining about something that they don't understand fully about the game.  Very rarely people who complain about Cryptic/PWE have a legitimate complaint, but when that happens it is something that is wrong with the game and not the publishers/developers.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

Originally posted by Doogiehowser

Defiance, POE, NWN and GW2..can't go wrong with this combo in summer.

Good for you playing NWN, I was worried for a sec you was gonna be playing the clunkingly dull and pedestrian looking Neverwinter MMO there for a second.

Thanks for noticing the typo i made. I fixed it.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by aromero

Originally posted by Doogiehowser Defiance, POE, NWN and GW2..can't go wrong with this combo in summer.

Good for you playing NWN, I was worried for a sec you was gonna be playing the dull and pedestrian looking Neverwinter MMO there for a second.

Lol haha, err if it sounds that bad then my expectations have been lowered once more...dunno about this game but I hear it's good then I hear it's bad. GW2 sucks to me...

You are going to hear that for every single game you play.  Try Neverwinter for yourself and see what you think.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by MadDemon64
    Originally posted by Kanyl

I have always known about this game, as everyone else around here, but I have never really paid attention to it. For me, I thought the game was doomed as a heavy instanced game, with bad mechanics and generic questing, ruined by a P2W shop! I guess I was wrong?

I have played now for an hour (not much, but still!) and I really liked it! Everything seems so well polished so far and it looks like a game that could be my main game, now in a near future. But I have not explored the in-game shop (if it's up yet?), or anything else that is "important" for a good game with a bright future. I have just tried the game, without knowing anything!

I have heard so much bad about Cryptic and Perfect World and that's the part that makes me worried! What's the catch? Will the future be bright for this game, even in their hands? Is this game just awesome, or is there anything terribly wrong with it? Why should I NOT be playing this game? 

Thanks and have a good day! :)

I assure you that all the hate is unfounded.  People for some reason just want to hate on them for the sake of hate.  I have yet to see a single legitimate complaint about the companies.

"Their games have lockboxes so therefore they suck".  Well so does TERA, Aion, and Guild Wars 2, but I don't hear you complaining about that.

"They are pay to win with the ability to buy stuff like armor".  That is a straight up lie.  The only thing they have that could give give cash shoppers an edge are certain weapon enhancements that are readily available to non cash shoppers via a bit of hard work and/or the auction house.  Other than that its costumes, mounts, and pets, none of which give the cash shoppers the advantage.

"Cryptic and PWE sucks".  This complaint that gives no reasoning or explanation whatsoever is perhaps the most common complaint I have seen.  The people who post them are either too lazy to come up with a lame excuse or realize that their argument isn't valid but don't want to change their mind out of vindictiveness.

I assure you, just about everyone who says that Cryptic/PWE is bad is either making stuff up or complaining about something that they don't understand fully about the game.  Very rarely people who complain about Cryptic/PWE have a legitimate complaint, but when that happens it is something that is wrong with the game and not the publishers/developers.

I actually think its more simple than that.  People who just dont like the game must spend (waste) their time trying to convince everyone else including those who like it - that the game sucks.

As opposed to just saying - the game is not for them.

Why people here believe their opinion is some form of fact is odd.

Originally posted by aromero

The day i start listening to what people say here on forums i wouldn't have one MMO left to play. Game is free to download and play..you got nothing to lose by trying it and make your own decision.

-Jesse Schell

-Luke McKinney