Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Lord British- Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues

Comments

• SephrosSephros Member UncommonPosts: 429
    Originally posted by Axxar

Why is it called Shroud of the Avatar then?

For legal reasons, it can't be connected to ultima image .  Although we all know where it got its roots..

Error: No Keyboard Detected!
    Press F1 to continue......

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I am a little bit surprised such a rich man needs a kickstarter funding. Very strange.

But I am willing to give the idea the benefit of doubt, to Lord British, for old times sake. I am glad he is back in single-ish player RPGs, or so it seems. Yeah, the graphics looks much 2003, but then it's early development state, and hopefully re-opening the door for new RPGs from him in the future. Too bad he can't take back Britannia. I so miss Britannia.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    I thought it looked weak as there is nothing there that hasnt already been done better in terms of RPG. When PS4 RPGs start to hit te shroud will be looking out of date unless they are headed to web browser game market, which they may be.
  • kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    i,m not much into kickstarter stuff but i put in $15 for legends of dawn on steam greenlight.i was just thinking the other day that i,m sick of playing mmo's and i need ome really new good solo games to play..and we get 2 in the space of a day..not only that Obsidian have got funding for their game awhile ago..thins are looking up for the rpg genre..i suppose in the end the big companies around today just churn out the same shit..hope these games can deliver.
  • OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by Elikal

I am a little bit surprised such a rich man needs a kickstarter funding. Very strange.

Just good business sense, really.  Why spend your own money when you can raise it?

• MahloMahlo Member UncommonPosts: 814
    'Lord British' - What an arse. It's not what kickstarter should be about, either.
  • itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

Lord british is an enigma to me.  because he comes across to me simultaneously as someone i greatly admire for his imagination and mind, but also as, well sort of a self aggrandizing jerk.  I am reminded of a friend that said about bill maher, his comedy is great but boy, he has such a punchable face.

I absolutely loved the ultima games and consider them along with the final fantasies to be the seminal games of my youth.  but does lord british really know best as he claims?  I know in the end i'll probably chip in a few bucks on the kickstarter to help find out...

itch

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• SalengerSalenger Member UncommonPosts: 554
    Looks and sounds good until i read Its not am MMO, ill prob play...but come on should have been an MMO. 
  • DeeterDeeter Member UncommonPosts: 135

Why does this multi millionaire who lives in a castle and could buy a trip to space still need crowdfunding to make a game?

And I see everyone forgot Tabula Rasa existed because he created that game and it was hot garbage incarnate. I do not have faith in this man to create a good game this far past his "prime".

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516
    Finally!  This and neverwinter (if they get many many more classes to play with) and I think I will have my mmo needs fulfilled.  First kickstarter I have tossed money at too, what the hell eh?
  • grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

You got my $100.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • ArakaneArakane Member UncommonPosts: 204
    OMG, ! Signing on the dotted line so to speak right away, WOOT!
  • AeolynAeolyn Member UncommonPosts: 350

I believe some of you need to read the article where Richard Garriott says:

http://www.portalarium.com/index.php/products/ultimate-rpg?id=93

"But, please be understanding. It took 25 years to craft all the detail in Ultima. The new world will start smaller, thinner and lighter. It will have fewer features than some or most MMOs. Critical elements of the story I have just told may be missing upon launch. But fear not, this is where we are headed. Come play with us in the brave new world. Help us grow it. Teach us about what you have learned in your years of playing."

That statement is the reason I decided to become a backer of this project, even though it seems light years away from the UO reincarnation I was hoping for.  Hopefully this preview of SotA is just the beginning of a very long and enjoyable journey.

• CatulusCatulus Member UncommonPosts: 16

What's bothering me about it is I've read through the page and I kept coming back to the same question: What is it? Maybe I overlooked something when I read the kickstarter spiel. Can anyone clarify?

He references being able to play offline/solo, but there's also online aspects. I'm not against the idea of a hybrid game, but he just doesn't explain HOW its going to be.

Mostly online with some solo aspects (e.g. Tortage day/night)

Shared online areas like towns rest of game solo (doesn't path of exile do something like this?)

or can the whole game be played solo with the option of logging onto the servers if you want to?

Decided not to back because I just can't work out if its an mmo or not.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    I'll wait til it comes out and then see what the payment plans are. Will check in from time to time.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• MrBootsMrBoots Member UncommonPosts: 289
    It doesn't sound like a mmorpg at all. If I had to guess the online component is going to consist of small multiplayer instances of the same world. Social network friends will have a higher probability of joining the same instance.
  • rammur65rammur65 Member UncommonPosts: 107
    The reason for kickstart is they dont have to go make a pitch at some lame brain corporation for funds they kickstart and he is in complete control without having to worry about the corporate greed like ea and sony and the rest of the corporations.
  • rammur65rammur65 Member UncommonPosts: 107
    What it is ,it exactly what he said it is in the video he bringing back the actual rp element on what made the old games great chances are if you are a modern mmo player you problably need to just stay away. Just a tip.
  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Deeter

Why does this multi millionaire who lives in a castle and could buy a trip to space still need crowdfunding to make a game?

And I see everyone forgot Tabula Rasa existed because he created that game and it was hot garbage incarnate. I do not have faith in this man to create a good game this far past his "prime".

Well, you seem to be in the minority then lol... 

It's been 2 days and it's already at the 600k point. 

In any case the Ultima series and Ultima online was developed without EA's influence and were excellent. EA took over after. 

Tabula Rasa was developed under NCSoft who had a very heavy handed approach to development. I'd like to think they leave Anet free to do their own thing due to the falling out between Garriott and NCsoft due to their heavy handed approach which has been very good for them. 

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    If he is so confident in it why not use his own money??...Didn't he just win several hundred millions in the Tabula Rasa lawsuit?
  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    If he is so confident in it why not use his own money??...Didn't he just win several hundred millions in the Tabula Rasa lawsuit?

Why do you need my money?

We have already invested quite a bit in the pre-production of Shroud of the Avatar. But we need your help in order to finish Shroud of the Avatar. By supporting this project, you will be able to collaborate with the developers, lending your voice to what features you would like to see added.  You can be a part of the creation of the classic fantasy role playing experience you have been waiting for!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiktkTLUNY8

Looks like theres already a good bit of money sunk into it judging by how much is already available to show. 

And to clear up a few things while I'm at it. 

"This is being developed for mobile devices, pass!"

Why PC?

Some people think that PC is an outdated platform, but to that I say not true! I have always been a PC developer, and there is something magical about sitting close to a large screen, seeing your world come to life. And the flexibility of using a keyboard and mouse is unmatched; though if you prefer to play with a gamepad on a PC, you can do that too!

For game development, the PC allows developers tremendous innovation and gives players the most choices as far as how they play. Although a great RPG can exist in many forms (even paper tape!), I firmly believe that the PC is the best platform for Shroud of the Avatar.

"This isn't going to be an MMO, it's a single player android/iphone game!"

Will this be a MMO? Can I play with my friends?

Yes, you will be able to play with your friends!  Multiplayer games encourage social bonds that go far beyond what can be accomplished in a solo player game. I remember the depth of these bonds in players who met in-game only to get married in real life, how people who died in the real world were deeply mourned and celebrated by their online friends whom they may never have met face to face. Though Shroud of the Avatar won’t be a massively multiplayer online role playing game, it will be a multiplayer game.  We will be describing this in more detail in our upcoming community blogs.

• AtliJorundAtliJorund Member Posts: 13

Believe me when I was say I was as anxious as any other UO Vet when I watched the clock tick down and the podcast start. However, the more I learned and read the more uninterested I became. He flat out said "this is not an MMO" and, while that wasn't the nail in the coffin, it didmake my heart sink a little. The game (as I understood it) is going to be more of a social multiplayer game than anything. You will be able to load your list of friends on Facebook, Google+, whatever, and the friends who play the game as well will appear in your world. Other than that, it's essentially a single player game. 

I would go so far as to say it looks like a Runescape/Farmville/Ultima amalgamation. It will sell well given LB's fan base and track record (excluding Tabula Rasa) and I wish them the best. I will continue to follow and maybe even donate later when more details are available, but for now I'm holding onto my money. 

I will say that I messaged their Kickstarter asking about crafting systems and they said that they couldn't comment on it yet and that more details were going to be released later. 5 minute feedback response time, I thought that was cool. 

• AtliJorundAtliJorund Member Posts: 13
    Originally posted by Theocritus

I think he spent a chunk of that paying for a trip to the International Space Station. Also, maybe he hired some bodyguards for once, since people have been trying to kill him for years now ;)

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    Yes!  Been waiting for this.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    The idea of game "swag" being in the top 3 priorities isn't very reassuring. Sure, some people like "swag" but shouldn't everything to do with the actual game come before it? Isn't that what your Kickstarter support should pay for?

Sounds like they are asking for money so they can develop merchandise and then charge us for the merchandise our (your) money created. No. Kickstarter for creative process is acceptable. Kickstarter for cashing in on "swag" is not.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.