Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift fans do you like the Anti-Macro combat system of SL more than Vanilla Rift?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Rift fans do you like the Anti-Macro combat system of SL more than Vanilla Rift?

I remember the more vocal community members would complain about things such as the macro heavy gameplay as well as the fast leveling pace in Vanilla Rift.

But now that the developers addressed their concerns in SL, how did you feel about it?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788

Ha, Awesome, I wasn't aware they changed that. I might actually give the game another chance now.

Back when I played, it was disappointing to learn that you could make a one-button macro that basically did everything. Kind of made the combat system seem trivialized to me, so I'm glad to hear they did something about it.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Very good news.  Just wish they put some thought and polish into their melee animations.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• skorner64skorner64 Member Posts: 47
    Just wondering HOW they changed this, thanks?
  • SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by skorner64

I was just about to ask that myself. After watching quite a few recent pvp videos, I can't help but think the macro situation hasn't actually changed much. One of the guys was mainly just spamming one macro key, during the fights he was in.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Playing rift now you have multiple macro buttons and a few others. It's slightly better but those macros ruin the experience, you spells just blend into each other and you just bang away at buttons still. Boils down to a simple difference, in gw2 there are no rotations, you use skills in reaction to what is happening, in rift it's all about the rotation.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• DarkmothDarkmoth Member Posts: 174
    I haven't purchased SL yet, and if they've substantially changed the macro system I may not. The macro system was one of the things that differentiated Rift from other games. If I want a complex rotation, I can play my WoW Druid, if I want a simple one I play my Rift Cleric. My GW2 Guardian is actually somewhere between the two.
  • dead2soondead2soon Member Posts: 149

A lot of abilities had their cooldowns removed. Thus becoming unmacroable because they would now fire everytime you pressed the macro.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Did developers address the concerns? This was my biggest issue with the game.

What did they do to change it?

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by dead2soon

A lot of abilities had their cooldowns removed. Thus becoming unmacroable because they would now fire everytime you pressed the macro.

So do you now just build 4 macros and push them in order?

• skamperskamper Member UncommonPosts: 252
    I actually prefered the macro system from vanilla, but storm legion is a decent trade off. Most classes you have a macro with 2 other buttons for your DPS "rotation". I just see macros as taking away from the tedious button pressing, you already do. There's hardly any skill in pressing your buttons when they come off cd, so a macro just frees up some slots.
  • Kingmob23Kingmob23 Member UncommonPosts: 78
    I didn't realize Rift fixed the macro issue, it was the main reason I stopped playing the game. It was the main reason I stopped playing the game. I might have to give it another shot.