Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

controls

neveserneveser Member UncommonPosts: 21

Is there anyway to change the controls to a normal MMO style?

I hate this 3rd person shooter thing.

Comments

• ElesdeeElesdee Member UncommonPosts: 44

Short Answer: No

The style of the combat is more devil may cry than world of warcraft, so its not designed for a typical tab targetting system as actively monitoring your situation. This level of combat immersion is also the reason the camera zoom is locked, so players cant see behind them unless they turn around. 

It can really be fun if you just give it a shot and hear the style out instead of getting frustrated that its not what you want it to be

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    what this game needs is full gamepad support just like every other Cryptic mmo so i dont have to deal with Xpadder.

• neveserneveser Member UncommonPosts: 21

Bummer. I just tried Tera and didn't care for it. Same 3rd person shooter mechanic going on there. My wife really dislikes that control style.

We'll keep playing through the weekend and see how it goes. I can kinda understand using that control system for combat, but  for exploration and movement in towns it's not the best.

Glad I didn't buy a founder's pack. Since it's F2P I can't really complain too much.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Ive seen two mmos already that have both tab targeting and FPS aiming that you can switch with a button. The Secret World did it after going B2P (or before, cant remember), and ARGO online. We need to see more mmos going the same way, adding both options.

• ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446
    I actually prefer it.  I have been playing MMOs for years and like the games that have come out with this style of control.  Imho Tera does it the best.
  • Stryx74Stryx74 Member UncommonPosts: 66
       I'm usually a stickler for traditional mmo mouse and camera controls but after playing for only a few hours I've surprised myself and I really like it. If you boot it up without thinking "this is an mmo I'm about to play" then the control scheme is perfectly fine and is nothing new as far as action rpgs. So far I'm liking the mmo/3rd persion action rpg fusion. Hopefully they provide full 360 controller support, the controls and UI are perfect for it and lately my wrists could use the break.
  • GiffenGiffen Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Originally posted by rojo6934

Ive seen two mmos already that have both tab targeting and FPS aiming that you can switch with a button. The Secret World did it after going B2P (or before, cant remember), and ARGO online. We need to see more mmos going the same way, adding both options.

I totally agree, this game really really needs to have conventional controls as an option.  However, I'm pretty sure the devs are going to stick to their guns on this one and not change anything.

• ranncoreranncore Member Posts: 93
    The control scheme is one of the biggest attractions to the game for me. I feel quite done with the traditional control scheme that's been overused for the better part of 15 years now. It really feels like you are controlling your character in this game, instead of interacting with a UI that controls your character. I also happen to like the rooted animations for attacks quite a bit. No more ridiculous bunny hopping and circle strafing. It's a breath of fresh air. Seems like the first MMO with real combat. And I know a lot of my friends who have never been interested in MMOs before because of the stale combat are interested in this title. 
  • SephrosSephros Member UncommonPosts: 429
    Is the mouse wheel supposed to zoom in and out?  Mine doesn't

Error: No Keyboard Detected!
    Press F1 to continue......

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Sephros
    Is the mouse wheel supposed to zoom in and out?  Mine doesn't

No its not. To zoom in and out you press B to go into observer mode.

I love the controls, and they feel much better than TERA, which I hated.

• SephrosSephros Member UncommonPosts: 429

Thanks

Error: No Keyboard Detected!
    Press F1 to continue......