Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA Bans Users for Asking for Refunds

Comments

• Hyperion5182Hyperion5182 Member Posts: 66

I got out of this early. I hope others can do the same. When the announcement came out from EA (which we talked about elsewhere) I fired off an angry twitter cancelled my preorder and stopped following the sim city twitter.

Get out while you can, an account ban from that company? I'd welcome it.

• Tutu2Tutu2 Member UncommonPosts: 572
    The most frustrating thing about all this is, gamers continue to let companies do this to them.  People keep buying into the hype and tolerating this nonsense and scream and cry when it happens over and over. Boycott anything related to stinking EA already, people should know by now these guys are retarded.
  • MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

Originally posted by azzamasin

Originally posted by Kaerigan
    Originally posted by birdycephon
    I'll have to go with EA on this one.

I'm not sure where I stand on this. Getting banned for doing a chargeback is a-ok in my book, but I really think they should be more willing to give out refunds when there are so many people having trouble playing. I mean, right now, Simcity's kind of a faulty product.

More company's need to be like Arena Net.  I got a refund of almost $800 in gem purchases and got to keep my account.

Sorrry man......I am going to say that you are full of shit.  This never happened.  Even if it did....$800????  Really????? 

Why would you even admit to something like this? 

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by Wolfenpride
    Originally posted by Swanea

Did any of you purchase D3?  Did any of you complain this much when D3 did the same thing?

Just a real question.

I did not purchase Diablo 3 or Sim City, and I complain about both.

How trivial your life must be.  Love when people troll other forums for their own amusements sake.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't? If you bought the game then you have no right to complain because you knew what you were getting into but if you didn't buy the game you have no right to complain and you are trolling for your own amusement? 

see above.

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

what i do lately (because i am just freaking sick of companies that make you online when you buy a single player game) is just dont buy the game that say you NEED an internet connection to be able to play a game.

Why, when i buy a game that is a coop game or an online FPS or an mmorpg.....i expect to go online for interaction with other people.

When i buy a single player racing game, i expect to be playing 1. the FULL GAME, 2. OFFLINE.

But you guys can keep bitching about it.......i act! no more single player online games for me.

MMORPG's is another game.

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140
    Originally posted by oubers

what i do lately (because i am just freaking sick of companies that make you online when you buy a single player game) is just dont buy the game that say you NEED an internet connection to be able to play a game.

Why, when i buy a game that is a coop game or an online FPS or an mmorpg.....i expect to go online for interaction with other people.

When i buy a single player racing game, i expect to be playing 1. the FULL GAME, 2. OFFLINE.

But you guys can keep bitching about it.......i act! no more single player online games for me.

Same here brother.

I have been really avoiding most "AAA" companies as well (except on my PS3) and have been supporting Indie projects . There are lots of good games made by people who love games and deserve support.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Really? They can first say that "If you are unhappy we will refund you" and then go 360 on it?

People cant play the game and that is enough reason for a refund. 

Many whiners do want refund after playing games a long time, were plenty of people who maxed out characters in TOR and GW2 that wanted (and some got) refunding, and that is just silly but here they promised people who had issues refund and they cant even play the game. 

If that isnt good reasons for a refund I dont know what is.

EA just gets worse and worse. Treating your customers badly is not smart if you plan to ever sell them something again.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I have to agree with that. MMOs need online connections, games like Diablo and Sim city dont.

Fear of piracy might actually hurt the company worse than pirates themselves, I actually buy games myself but I dont buy only online singleplayer games. I might in the future when they run on the cloud though but that is another matter.

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140
    Originally posted by Loke666

I have to agree with that. MMOs need online connections, games like Diablo and Sim city dont.

Fear of piracy might actually hurt the company worse than pirates themselves, I actually buy games myself but I dont buy only online singleplayer games. I might in the future when they run on the cloud though but that is another matter.

Piracy is an excuse- The real reason is so they can shut the server off when they release "Simcity 6" and make all the DLC people have purchased, as well as the game- null and void... You are "renting" the game until they pull the plug.

The reason I know its an excuse is because Diablo 3 was Pirated (offline mode) while still in beta as has Simcity 5. There are already valid cracks out there- Piracy makes a wonderfully boogyman for the greed . Blame it on pirates blah, blah, blah- But all along the "pirates" are playing a superior version of the game for free.

-I have not supported EA (or Blizz) for years now and they continue to get worse and worse and worse- And yet they use all that money to pay for reviews, hype and shiney things and continue to milk their customer base.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Once again, people misread and go haywire, just because it's EA. Way to go, gaming community, way to go!

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849
    Originally posted by aleos

Cant find out you dont like a game until you buy it

decide you dont like the game cant get a refund

get a refund

infuriate greed corp

get nuked

Games are fun. 

If you order a meal, take a bite and then realise you don't like it.... do you expect to get a refund? Or go to a cinema, walk out halfway trough the movie because you don't like it... do you expect a refund?

Obviously, if the meal is actually unedible because the food is rotten or te movie doesn't play then you have the right to expect a refund but in the games industry not many games are released unplayable. 

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

I'm not sure where I stand on this. Getting banned for doing a chargeback is a-ok in my book, but I really think they should be more willing to give out refunds when there are so many people having trouble playing. I mean, right now, Simcity's kind of a faulty product.

How is it a faulty product? This shit is driving me crazy. They let people know BEFORE purchasing the game about the DRM. Then, people don't do the research, buy it then commence bitching. 

You can't just buy a game, decide you don't like it for some reason and say you want you're money back. You can get your money back for a defective product, but not for being a lazy as consumer and not reading about what you're buying. I just can't feel bad for folks on this one. I really can't. 

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

EA should sell finished / working product or just refund and tell sorry.
    beside seems are too many similar issues these days with new games, hope devs will take a lesson and try to do their job before getting payed.

as customer I took my lesson too: never pay beta, never buy any game before like 4-5 months after release.

thanks for share info, OP.=)

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    Originally posted by Praetalus

How is it a faulty product? This shit is driving me crazy. They let people know BEFORE purchasing the game about the DRM. Then, people don't do the research, buy it then commence bitching. 

The DRM should prevent pirates from playing the game. It should not stop me from playing the game. Really not research needed to figure that out. However I agree that poeple should just wait. If in a week+ the problems have not been solved then I understand that people complain. The "80 dollar" people payed is still worth as much in a few days. 

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Originally posted by Coman

Originally posted by Praetalus

The DRM should prevent pirates from playing the game. It should not stop me from playing the game. Really not research needed to figure that out. However I agree that poeple should just wait. If in a week+ the problems have not been solved then I understand that people complain. The "80 dollar" people payed is still worth as much in a few days. 

And thats a fair point, and EA should have forseen this and acted accordingly. However, people need to calm down and give them a chance to set things right. I mean, its only been three fricken days.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246
    Originally posted by Maephisto

There was this 30+ page thread earlier, commited to talking about EA's wrong doings.  I wonder how many of those people continue to buy EA games and bitch, simultaneously.  The vocal gaming community even went onto the consumerist and voted EA the worst company, OVER BANK OF AMERICA.

Despite all the commotion over Sim City and past games (ME3), people will still buy the next EA game.  Even after the harsh DRM and bullshit DLC becomes commonplace.  Then feel completely cool about coming on here and complaining about them.

Protest with your dollars, not your mouth.

This trusty old video comes to mind image

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    So you dispute the case to get ur money back you pay for the game, and your complaining that EA takes there game back by banning them. All i can say seriously...... dont pay for the game u dont get to play simple as that.
  • cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Originally posted by Lovely_Laly

EA should sell finished / working product or just refund and tell sorry.
    beside seems are too many similar issues these days with new games, hope devs will take a lesson and try to do their job before getting payed.

as customer I took my lesson too: never pay beta, never buy any game before like 4-5 months after release.

thanks for share info, OP.=)

Simcity is a complete finished game so Im not sure what you mean by selling a beta , they are not. They got their servers over flooded and were not prepared for how many people would be playing. Top that off , impatient players will log out exit out of game and keep repeatively hitting the login servers thinking they can get in game faster. They released new servers today and I been playing for the last 4 hours and have not had 1 issue with playing the game , but I also did the smart thing and rolled on one of the new servers. Also people are getting refunds for the game , the offical forums are full of people saying they got them. While EA does truely suck and can go die in real life IMO , there is a huge outburst of players that are just plain out and simply throwing temper tantrums with the server issues. They are annoying yes , but even all day today before moving to the new server I could get into games without any issues really but having to wait awhile.

People really need to chill out , its just a game and if you really want a refund so bad get one , but I know for a fact that about 75% of the people whining for refunds will turn around and buy the game again because it is a damn good game and this is a patience issue . Maxis did a awesome job on this game and the mulitplayer and real world economy is by far an awesome idea for sim city.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Maephisto

There was this 30+ page thread earlier, commited to talking about EA's wrong doings.  I wonder how many of those people continue to buy EA games and bitch, simultaneously.  The vocal gaming community even went onto the consumerist and voted EA the worst company, OVER BANK OF AMERICA.

Despite all the commotion over Sim City and past games (ME3), people will still buy the next EA game.  Even after the harsh DRM and bullshit DLC becomes commonplace.  Then feel completely cool about coming on here and complaining about them.

Protest with your dollars, not your mouth.

This.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• neobahamut20neobahamut20 Member Posts: 336
    Originally posted by BitterClinger
    Yes, if you have a pile of games in Origin (or Steam for that matter) and you violate their terms by having your bank reverse charges for a product you purchased, then yeah, you lose access to ALL your games in that service.

Here, locking someone out of purchased items, no matter the reason, is a criminal offense under theft. Steam doesn't operate here, but EA does, so they would be liable. However, I have no pity for you if in 2013 you are still dumb enough to purchase anything from EA. 

Boycotting EA. Why? They suck, even moreso since 2008.

• TheOctagonTheOctagon Member UncommonPosts: 411

If I went to a car dealer and spent my money on a car, and the car turned out to be a lemon, I'd want my money back.

I wouldn't wait a day, week or month to see if they could fix it. If the car was a lemon, it will always be thought of as a lemon, and I would never go back to that car dealer again.

Much like EA is thought of, and boycotted now. Which is why their up for sale.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by cronius77

Simcity is a complete finished game so Im not sure what you mean by selling a beta , they are not. They got their servers over flooded and were not prepared for how many people would be playing. Top that off , impatient players will log out exit out of game and keep repeatively hitting the login servers thinking they can get in game faster. They released new servers today and I been playing for the last 4 hours and have not had 1 issue with playing the game , but I also did the smart thing and rolled on one of the new servers. Also people are getting refunds for the game , the offical forums are full of people saying they got them. While EA does truely suck and can go die in real life IMO , there is a huge outburst of players that are just plain out and simply throwing temper tantrums with the server issues. They are annoying yes , but even all day today before moving to the new server I could get into games without any issues really but having to wait awhile.

People really need to chill out , its just a game and if you really want a refund so bad get one , but I know for a fact that about 75% of the people whining for refunds will turn around and buy the game again because it is a damn good game and this is a patience issue . Maxis did a awesome job on this game and the mulitplayer and real world economy is by far an awesome idea for sim city.

Just because it isn't happening for you doesn't mean it isn't happening for anyone else.

Heck, we have review sites not publishing reviews yet cause the reviewer can't play the game. And these are the 'big' ones like IGN. Public stance by EA is to not issue refunds on server issues.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    Originally posted by TheOctagon

If I went to a car dealer and spent my money on a car, and the car turned out to be a lemon, I'd want my money back.

I wouldn't wait a day, week or month to see if they could fix it. If the car was a lemon, it will always be thought of as a lemon, and I would never go back to that car dealer again.

Much like EA is thought of, and boycotted now. Which is why their up for sale.

You're comparing an 'instant' realization to one that is 'likely' to get better. I don't think it's comparable at all; you cannot bring your car back for updates and patches once you're off the lot. I can see EA's perspective; yea, we'll refund, then when we iron out the kinks, you'll purchase again, get pissed and whine for a refund again... "No".  Or maybe you'll stay for a while and enjoy the franchise. Either way, a fickle gamer will whine until someone get's behind them. 

• VideoJockeyVideoJockey Member UncommonPosts: 223

A chargeback is an accusation of fraud in the financial world. If that is how you feel then chargeback away, but be prepared for the repercussions.

Any self-respecting service provider will cut off service after a chargeback. Sony, Comcast, Dish, they all do it. It's standard procedure.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Amazon has proven many times that a generous refund policy is much better for business in the long run. Ah, few companies today treat their customers "like kings", and I am all the more going to those who actually do, even if it costs me a bit more.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by Psychow
    Originally posted by Zekiah
    Originally posted by Psychow

The chargeback abouse needs to stop. 

Returning a defective product isn't abuse, it's justice.

Oh, I wasn't aware the CD was faulty or the digital key didn't work. Usually customers ask for a replacement instead of a credit card chargeback, at least the ones who are legitimatly trying to buy the game so they can play.

Don't be obtuse.  The software is the product, the CD is merely the media.  If either is defective, then the customer is well within their rights to demand a refund.  Do some research on consumer's rights and stop acting like a corporate shill.