Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rooted in place

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I saw. Cleric video and the player was complaining thatwith every spell he casted, he w unable to move and rooted on the spot.  That sounds just plain stupid for an action based combat system, doesnt it?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• ZaltarkZaltark Member UncommonPosts: 437

I downloaded and played today. Its true. I have a mage(like 98% of population), and YES if you auto attack or use a spell you literally cannot move your character any direction until the animation is done. Its like Tera, only 1000000% worse. Nothing near GW2. Tera is much smoother aswell.

(Its to the point Ive pretty much refused to continue the beta). Atleast in WoW you can move to cancel a spell animation. Not possible in this. Heck Id even have to say DDO is MUCH better in the way you can freely move and cast spells. This is like backwards.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

I saw. Cleric video and the player was complaining thatwith every spell he casted, he w unable to move and rooted on the spot.  That sounds just plain stupid for an action based combat system, doesnt it?

yes it is dumb imho no matter how people want to defend it for balancing and such.. i hate "hard" rooting in action games as it feels horrible when combat is supposed to be fast paced.. the flow between spells feels off and just not fluid at all.. cleric honestly isn't horrible to me but i can't play the wizard.. i enjoy the melee(especially rogue) so ill just stick with melee classes in this game I guess

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

That would be like calling a favor of ice cream you don't like stupid.  Look if you don't like it move rather than report "other people" crying about it.   I blame the ADHD crowd who can't sit still for a second.

I think it is fine and not a contradiction.  It's the wacky believe about how "action based combat systems" MUST BE that causes the problem. 

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• grafhgrafh Member UncommonPosts: 320
     I like the old school mage play style. Its part of being a mage. Some spells are instant cast thats fine, so a mage should be able to move during those, but anything thats not.... your stuck buddy
    Originally posted by grafh
     I like the old school mage play style. Its part of being a mage. Some spells are instant cast thats fine, so a mage should be able to move during those, but anything thats not.... your stuck buddy

which i don't mind in slower paced games but in faster paced games it feels out of place to me.. I wouldn't even mind if it was a slow walk when channeling or casting but a hard root just feels off and when seeing how well the melee characters skills flow between one another then playing a wizard it just feels all kinds of wrong in how it looks and feels.. but i have this issue with any action games that does this like tera, diablo style games ect ect...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

I've played Wizard to lvl5 and it feels very entertaining. Rooted combat is not bad actually, since you can dodge a lot.

Since most of the time you are fighting several mobs, and dodging them effectively, to me, combat feels something between SWTOR and GW2. Personally, I like it.

Additionally, combat feels rewarding on all classes, which is something I couldn't say for GW2.

In general, game seems packed with features (AH, LFG tool, Events, Arena PVP etc.). Since players  will take care of content via foundry, I'm very optimistic about the future of NWO.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Well, not to me but to each his/her own.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ranncoreranncore Member Posts: 93

I like it a lot better than seeing pepole jump/swing/spin at the same time. 

lrn2dodge

Originally posted by ranncore

I like it a lot better than seeing pepole jump/swing/spin at the same time. 

lrn2dodge

you could still allow slow movement and not allow jumping.. maybe cut movement speed by 50-75% while casting/channeling spells.. would do wonders imho.. 

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

Other than this being old news (from a video possibly over a month ago), I also find it amusing that this thread is based on something the OP saw, instead of actually played :) I thought it was easy to get into beta weekends by now to try the game out yourself. Maybe some restriction based on where you live?

I only played cleric for a few levels, but for the shield fighter, your character steps into his swings/bashes and your combat has minimal movement, or quite a bit if you charge, based on what skills you're using.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    I must admit I am spoiled by the movement combat of GW2. Now going back to "old school" rooted combat feels... weird. Like being hindered or what. I really began to get used to the movement-combat of GW2 and actually like that as action combat.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Originally posted by Elikal
    I must admit I am spoiled by the movement combat of GW2. Now going back to "old school" rooted combat feels... weird. Like being hindered or what. I really began to get used to the movement-combat of GW2 and actually like that as action combat.

agreed although melee in neverwinter is pretty fun imho

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Well most arguements is that being rooted allows far more strategy somehow, though to me that's highly subjjective.

It's weird to me though games like Ninja Gaiden an other console action games are rooted as well but it's far more noticeable in MMOs. I find it distubring sometimes, and it's even more apperant after coming from GW2 to play MMOs like that, not that GW2 combat is ZOMG BEST EVER, but it's just got a feel foe [me] that is much more fun.

Though I think it's the time one is being rooted, it's not long in games like Ascension and Devil May Cry, though I could notice it with Tera, like you dodge but stop somehow lol.

I will say in some whats that can be used for strategy but not my thing.

Take note I'm not saying it's terrible nor am I saying it shouldn't be there, just it's not fun to me in MMOs.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

Originally posted by RizelStar

Well most arguements is that being rooted allows far more strategy somehow, though to me that's highly subjjective.

It's weird to me though games like Ninja Gaiden an other console action games are rooted as well but it's far more noticeable in MMOs. I find it distubring sometimes, and it's even more apperant after coming from GW2 to play MMOs like that, not that GW2 combat is ZOMG BEST EVER, but it's just got a feel foe [me] that is much more fun.

Though I think it's the time one is being rooted, it's not long in games like Ascension and Devil May Cry, though I could notice it with Tera, like you dodge but stop somehow lol.

I will say in some whats that can be used for strategy but not my thing.

Take note I'm not saying it's terrible nor am I saying it shouldn't be there, just it's not fun to me in MMOs.

think its the speed mostly.. with games like dmc and ninja gaiden the transition from skill to skill is so fast you can hardly notice it at all.. this isn't the case in games like this one and tera. This causes a noticable delay and makes the whole animation sequence feel off and clumsy to me when transitioning between abilities...

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

I believe it's also a matter of balance. I can't even begin to imagine how many extra levels of OP would have the Control Wizard and the Devoted Cleric if they could just prance about as they shoot their spells around, both in PvE and PvP. Being a ranged class has many advantages, so being rooted for half a second when you cast a spell is a necessary balancing tradeoff. 

It's the same in most classic mmo's, where melee can move freely along the hit boxes of the enemies, while casters have to find someplace safe to stand and cast. I am personally playing a Devoted Cleric and I'm not having any issue with it, but that's my own taste anyway. And as if the Cleric wasn't overpowered already, I don't even want to imagine how ridiculously overpowered would be if I could move while casting.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Well, this is the first big title since the release of GW2 I was interested in checking out.

Rooted combat? Are they daft?

Scrath this game from the list. I can never, ever go back to rooted combat. In fact, that there are still a fee GW2 skills that root you has recently started to drive me nuts.

Neverwinter devs, time to join the 21st century. Rooted skill use in an MMO is now completely unacceptable. Completely. You are literally throwing all your development time and money out the window with one dumb decision.

Unreal.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682
    Originally posted by Alber_gamer

I believe it's also a matter of balance. I can't even begin to imagine how many extra levels of OP would have the Control Wizard and the Devoted Cleric if they could just prance about as they shoot their spells around, both in PvE and PvP. Being a ranged class has many advantages, so being rooted for half a second when you cast a spell is a necessary balancing tradeoff. 

It's the same in most classic mmo's, where melee can move freely along the hit boxes of the enemies, while casters have to find someplace safe to stand and cast. I am personally playing a Devoted Cleric and I'm not having any issue with it, but that's my own taste anyway. And as if the Cleric wasn't overpowered already, I don't even want to imagine how ridiculously overpowered would be if I could move while casting.

If the developers need rooted combat to "balance" an MMO, they really have no business working in the genre.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

it doesn't need to be full movement to feel more fluid though.. they could make it so you can't jump and your speed is reduced 50-75% while casting/channeling just doing that would do wonders to the overall feel imho

Originally posted by fiontar

If the developers need rooted combat to "balance" an MMO, they really have no business working in the genre.

Yeah, like in WoW casters can't move while casting since day one to present. In fact, one of the casting classes has a cooldown ability that allows them to cast while moving for a short time (shamans), so it's pretty clear that the rooting is used as a balancing factor.

But yeah, since WoW uses rooting while casting, that game really has no business in the genre. 

Oh wait.

You might want to try again with another argument.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

Yeah, like in WoW casters can't move while casting since day one to present. In fact, one of the casting classes has a cooldown ability that allows them to cast while moving for a short time (shamans), so it's pretty clear that the rooting is used as a balancing factor.

But yeah, since WoW uses rooting while casting, that game really has no business in the genre. 

Oh wait.

wow isn't action combat though.. and using what I suggested above don't think balance would be a big issue anyway

Originally posted by Aerowyn

Oh wait.

wow isn't action combat though.. and using what I suggested above don't think balance would be a big issue anyway

I think DDO uses a slow-down rather than rooting, can't remember well now, it's been a few yeras since I played it. It could be an option, but I still haven't found the Devoted Cleric any annoyance to play. It's pretty intuitive and you soon learn to calculate distances and what kind of stalling you can afford before you need to dodge.

I'll give you another example. I recently finished the new Tomb Raider (incredibly good game, by the way) and with your main weapon, the bow, you can do a charged attack that does around triple damage and can pass through armor. The downside? It roots you. Why? Because it balances out the power of the ability. Now Tomb Raider is a full out action game, so why would such an action game resort to rooting you while using certain abilities? Again, balance.

We could argue whether the balance can be achieved in other ways. I personally haven't found grievance in NWO's soft rooting (I say soft because it's really half a second per cast, nothing like the 3-4 second root of some abilities in TERA).

Originally posted by Aerowyn

Oh wait.

I think DDO uses a slow-down rather than rooting, can't remember well now, it's been a few yeras since I played it. It could be an option, but I still haven't found the Devoted Cleric any annoyance to play. It's pretty intuitive and you soon learn to calculate distances and what kind of stalling you can afford before you need to dodge.

I'll give you another example. I recently finished the new Tomb Raider (incredibly good game, by the way) and with your main weapon, the bow, you can do a charged attack that does around triple damage and can pass through armor. The downside? It roots you. Why? Because it balances out the power of the ability. Now Tomb Raider is a full out action game, so why would such an action game resort to rooting you while using certain abilities? Again, balance.

We could argue whether the balance can be achieved in other ways. I personally haven't found grievance in NWO's soft rooting.

but again in games like tomb raider(which im playing now btw), or games like dmc or bayonetta yes they all root but there is a fast fluid motion between dodges and attacks and sequential attack animations.. in games like neverwinter and tera there is a noticable delay between the attack, move, and stop animation so the fluid feel of combat is not there like other action games.. might not bother everyone obviously but for me it kills the fun of ranged classes.. luckily rogue combat flows much better for me and I enjoy it in this game.

I don't know. Might be just that I don't mind the rooting. I still think one of the best games of all time is Resident Evil 1 and 2, in which you are basically a mobile turret that needs to stand still two seconds to do anything, from picking an ink cartridge to shooting a 9mm pistol. :P

I don't know. Might be just that I don't mind the rooting. I still think one of the best games of all time is Resident Evil 1 and 2, in which you are basically a mobile turret that needs to stand still two seconds to do anything, from picking an ink cartridge to shooting a 9mm pistol. :P

lol yea and i found that rooting aspect of the early RE games by far the worst part of them:P it's obviously all personal preference same as how some people hate tsw animations and feel and others say its perfectly fine.. 

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503

Mages and Clerics should be rooted in this game it is based off of D&D.  A mage is suppose to have to concentrate on the spells they are casting.  This is not an shooter. 

That said I can see them remove the rooting if they cut all your damage by half.  Should not be able to nuke something down before it can get close to you.  That is why games that don't root have a very off balance class player pool.  If I can cast and kill you before you get close why would I play anything else.