Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Awesome "first-time-impression"! What's the catch?

Comments

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Alber_gamer
    Originally posted by darkhalf357x
    Originally posted by waynejr2
    They should really remove the option to activate a sparkling trail so people can stop ruining the game for themselves. As someone memorably quoted "You can take the stupid from a game, but you can't take the stupid from people".

You can remove it. Z

Yeah, but I mean it should be removed, and no option to activate it at all.

Some people here seem to report that even though they know they can remove it, they don't because it's there, and having it activated makes them rush through content without really knowing what's going on. That's where the quote "You can take the stupid from a game, but you can't take the stupid from people" comes in.

It's pretty much "look, this feature is unfun and breaks my immersion, but since it's there I'll use it anyway". I can imagine the person drooling like a cave troll afterwards.

It should be an option if anything allowing it to exist for those who want it.  You cant control (or condemn) people who use it without knowledge.  If they rush through content without taking the time to understand why, there is a bigger issue at hand beyond the scope of this thread.

What breaks immersion for you may be what another gamer wants to have.

Yeah, my quarry is with those that know that they can remove it, but they don't, just because it exists. Instead, they complain that the feature is ruining the game for them. Seem to be a couple of those in the first page of this thread. I mean... if you know that you can remove it, and having it enabled is making the game unfun for you... 1+1=2?

By the way, the tutorial slaps a big message in your face that explains that you can toggle the sparkling trail with "Z".

So you don't want it off for yourself but really you want it off for everyone else.  Isn't that just being a busy body?  Let them play with Z on if they want and you can play with it off if you don't.  It doesn't hurt you if they choose to have it on.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

There are a few things about the game that will prevent me from playing it:

1. The closed up world that I hated in SWTOR

2. The golden lasso phase points

3. The sparkly quest path

4. The horrible run animation

5. Clunky combat

I almost forgot: The daggers being 6 inches away from my rogues body when sheathed

I am glad a lot of folks are enjoying it...I am just saying it isn't for me.

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588
    They should really remove the option to activate a sparkling trail so people can stop ruining the game for themselves. As someone memorably quoted "You can take the stupid from a game, but you can't take the stupid from people".

You can remove it. Z

Yeah, but I mean it should be removed, and no option to activate it at all.

Some people here seem to report that even though they know they can remove it, they don't because it's there, and having it activated makes them rush through content without really knowing what's going on. That's where the quote "You can take the stupid from a game, but you can't take the stupid from people" comes in.

It's pretty much "look, this feature is unfun and breaks my immersion, but since it's there I'll use it anyway". I can imagine the person drooling like a cave troll afterwards.

It should be an option if anything allowing it to exist for those who want it.  You cant control (or condemn) people who use it without knowledge.  If they rush through content without taking the time to understand why, there is a bigger issue at hand beyond the scope of this thread.

What breaks immersion for you may be what another gamer wants to have.

Yeah, my quarry is with those that know that they can remove it, but they don't, just because it exists. Instead, they complain that the feature is ruining the game for them. Seem to be a couple of those in the first page of this thread. I mean... if you know that you can remove it, and having it enabled is making the game unfun for you... 1+1=2?

By the way, the tutorial slaps a big message in your face that explains that you can toggle the sparkling trail with "Z".

So you don't want it off for yourself but really you want it off for everyone else.  Isn't that just being a busy body?  Let them play with Z on if they want and you can play with it off if you don't.  It doesn't hurt you if they choose to have it on.

Just look at the post above this one. People constantly need to mention the "sparkling path" as a negative feature of the game. I guess you can't blame the game for trying to help people that don't have time or patience for reading quest logs and looking for places, but why would someone say that a game feature is negative when you can just turn it off and forget it even exists? I don't know, seems to me like either some people are too stupid for their own good and they are using it even knowing they don't enjoy it, or they just care too much about other people's playstyle instead of their own.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• ElesdeeElesdee Member UncommonPosts: 44

Let me get this straight with the glowing trail complaints cause Im having trouble here. So instead of having a glowing trail to where I turn in the quest, or where the enterence to the dungeon is you think its more fun, or as you say Immersive to:

1. Open Quest log

2. Check who I should talk to

3. Open map

4a. Try to find out where on the map said NPC is

4b. Alt+Tab and google where mobs needed spawn

5. Move 5 steps north

6. Open Map to make sure im going in right direction

7 Move 5 steps

8. Open map

9. Repeat steos 5-8 untill at destination.

God yea that trail really is a nuisance when i think about it

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588
    Originally posted by Elesdee

Let me get this straight with the glowing trail complaints cause Im having trouble here. So instead of having a glowing trail to where I turn in the quest, or where the enterence to the dungeon is you think its more fun, or as you say Immersive to:

1. Open Quest log

2. Check who I should talk to

3. Open map

4a. Try to find out where on the map said NPC is

4b. Alt+Tab and google where mobs needed spawn

5. Move 5 steps north

6. Open Map to make sure im going in right direction

7 Move 5 steps

8. Open map

9. Repeat steos 5-8 untill at destination.

God yea that trail really is a nuisance when i think about it

Or you could, you know... find the question mark in your minimap and move towards it. ;)

Tip: The direction in which you are moving when you press "W" is the one where the arrow that represents your character is pointing.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• ElesdeeElesdee Member UncommonPosts: 44
    If I had it my way id just take age of wushus system where I just click on the quest and my guy auto runs there for me. Throw in some bots to grind the mobs for me while im at it haha. Oh man why do I even bother to play I could save so much money if instead I just watched streams It hink im onto something
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    glowing trail has been around since eq1 amd eq2 used it as well.. just turn it off if it bothers people.. not sure what the issue is

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

For a free mmo its okay. Tera is better in looks, animations, many things, but its limited to a few classes without much difference between one lancer or another(it started out sub).  GW2 is better in looks, animations, many things, but lacks the trinity (its btp).

Neverwinter has classes/places/races we know(with lots more to come)  It has a certain... comfort level.  Plus it has the foundry, which could be lots of fun.  I can't say I like it much when the wizard is rooted. Or when I dodge with my cleric and he freezes and goes sliding around. Or how he jumps.  I'm spoiled from games like GW2.  The combat does feel clunky.  The animations and characters look blocky.  I played Vanguard recently and they felt like that a little, although the enviorment looked great and I didn't feel/see any lag or rubberbanding in combat.

If the devs keep polishing it and improving upon what's there even after it goes live and just don't "fire and forget" then it will be well worth spending money on(even though you don't have to).

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

It's pretty typical Cryptic.  Just like CoH and CO and STO, it's fun in small doses with lots of time off in between.  I remember my first year of CoH, I would play a couple of weeks to a month, quit for three months, play another few weeks, take off another couple of months...etc.  After a couple of hours of playing, I'm already getting that same feeling I had in all of their other games.  Fairly fun, but so very lacking in long term appeal, so very lacking in depth, no virtual world, over instanced (can't even go into a building without a load screen).  No mini games, no role playing systems, no exploration as you are railwayed to each platform.

I had no real intentions of playing this game, but the beta has confirmed it for me.  I'm going to continue playing Vanguard and SWTOR and a little bit of PS2 until EverQuest Next.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by Nicksino999
    I never played EQ...but i thought it was not a quest focused game....maybe iam wrong?

Say the word slowly again. Everquest. Everquest. EverQUEST. ;)

I loved the glitter trail. I was so... glittery! ^^;

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Originally posted by Amjoco

I haven't played and I really can't pass judgement, but after seeing this video several weeks ago I went "what the heck!"

I understand the game can't be like the actual pen and paper game, but come on with the rapid fire magic missiles. That is just totally not cool imho. I hope this isn't what the game is structured around with all classes. Gary Gygax is turning in his grave. /shrug

It is a strange hybrid of sorts.  Its almost button-mashing action coupled with common RPG tropes based lightly on D&D rule set (i.e. it has feats, etc).   But though its an almgamation it is strangely fun (at least in the beginning).  I plan to stick around and see where it goes for now.

That's pretty much what the mmo market has been lacking for the last half-dozen years; a game that's capable of changing someone's mind.

Minds are pretty closed in the gamer pop right now.
  • AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

Played a cleric yesterday to lvl 6. Had not much time. Can't say I was fascinated really. I got the impression it's a nice casual game but lacking any depth or complexity.

Character faces were quite bad but I don't cae for those. What annoyed me the most were those "washed-out" graphics. Reminded me of Rift graphics. Looking for any gfx settings to improve that but shard is down so I can't test it.

So, not a bad game but nothing to write home about either imo.

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

IMHO, game is fun&entertaining, at least for now.

It has some flaws that will not be changed (no alternative starting zones) and needs some tweaks (animations).

But, it has appealing aesthetics, actiony combat, lots of polished features (LFG, Auction House, Mounts, Events etc..), great concepts (foundry) and some more yet to be seen (chosing PVP faction at end game, new classes etc.)

And don't forget, this is beta of F2P game.

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415

Just look at the post above this one. People constantly need to mention the "sparkling path" as a negative feature of the game. I guess you can't blame the game for trying to help people that don't have time or patience for reading quest logs and looking for places, but why would someone say that a game feature is negative when you can just turn it off and forget it even exists? I don't know, seems to me like either some people are too stupid for their own good and they are using it even knowing they don't enjoy it, or they just care too much about other people's playstyle instead of their own.

A basic rule about forums that should appear in the FAQ:

It is more fun to complain about something, than turn it off.

Every negative comment is just more free buzz. You can't buy that kind of viral marketing (well, you can really, but why pay when people are giving it away for nothing?)

• CatbertCatbert Member UncommonPosts: 28

Well any one who doesent like the game feel free to chuck your account here... haha cant beleive I missed the beta key giveaway gutted! If any one has a spare please PM me it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Rob.

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

Or you could, you know... find the question mark in your minimap and move towards it. ;)Tip: The direction in which you are moving when you press "W" is the one where the arrow that represents your character is pointing.

That's still part of the point. How different is it, really, to follow the marker on your minimap from following a sparkling trail?

If you don't have the trail, you'll just follow the marker.
    If you don't have the marker, you'll keep opening your map.
    If it's not marked on your map, you'll either spend an annoying amount of time looking for it, look it up on a guide, or stop playing.

Searching for where to go next isn't part of the gameplay as it is in something like Metroid. In Metroid the entire game is based around navigating a giant maze. The focus of Neverwinter is fighting monsters in dungeons, not maneuvering a cityscape.

The people who complain about the trail and use it anyway would most likely complain about how boring it is to search for quest NPCs if it didn't exist at all. Their complaint isn't truly about what the trail takes away. It's about what the trail makes clear was never there.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

Originally posted by Catbert
    Well any one who doesent like the game feel free to chuck your account here... haha cant beleive I missed the beta key giveaway gutted! If any one has a spare please PM me it would be greatly appreciated!Thanks,Rob.

PCG has a free key for you if you can answer their question:
    http://promo.pcgamer.com/Neverwinter/

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962

Two simple questions

Does the game have any open world type of zones? Or should I mostly expect dungeons.  Don't bring my attention to the name of the game, I can see that, I just need to know for sure. :-)

At what level do you start doing things in group?

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646
    Originally posted by jazz.be

Two simple questions

Does the game have any open world type of zones? Or should I mostly expect dungeons.  Don't bring my attention to the name of the game, I can see that, I just need to know for sure. :-)

This game has always been advertised as a dungeon crawler from day one and that is what it is. If you are expecting for open world MMOS then it isn't for you. I love dungeons  so i am right at home with Neverwinter.

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962
    Originally posted by lifeordinary

Two simple questions

This game has always been advertised as a dungeon crawler from day one and that is what it is. If you are expecting for open world MMOS then it isn't for you. I love dungeons  so i am right at home with Neverwinter.

Haven't been following this game so it was pure out of curiousity.

How about group play?

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646
    Originally posted by lifeordinary

Two simple questions

Haven't been following this game so it was pure out of curiousity.

How about group play?

Plenty of dungeons to do with your friends. Every dungeon can be done with others even the ones which are solo.

• marlborzmarlborz Member Posts: 36
    it depends on what you mean by heavily instanced. My opinion on a heaily instanced game is something on the lines of vindictus, dragon nest, something that requires you to stay confined to a certain area with the inability to overcome physical objects by restricting free movement exploration and the overuse of invisable walls. Instanced can also be defined by having to leave a small area to get to the next small area. When you spend more time looking at a loading screen now matter how fast it loads thats the clue. While both games mentioned have a better combat system then most and are fun to play they lack the open world aspect that makes an mmo fun. From what I've seen in video about Neverwinter it looks alot like the games mentioned above. I understand there is open world but just how open it will be is still questionable. I think it will be similar to terra for its open world. If you like any and all the games listed in this thread you will more then likely like neverwinter. I like games that are open world like wow but with a better combat system like nverwinter. Generally you know a game has the most open world aspect possible when it introduces flying mounts and I don't believe neverwinter has.

Two simple questionsDoes the game have any open world type of zones? Or should I mostly expect dungeons.  Don't bring my attention to the name of the game, I can see that, I just need to know for sure. :-)

Yes to both questions, actually.

As early as you want but I think the first group-oriented dungeon is at 15.

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182

Some say its free to play so people will not complain about less features and content etc

but to me its full featured, and because of Foundry there will be more and better content

action combat with 20 quality skills > > > > > > tab target combat 5 million cookie cutter skills on long cooldowns

Btw, you can left and right click stuff if you press alt key first (to guy on first page)

• CatbertCatbert Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Originally posted by Shroom_Mage

Originally posted by Catbert
    Well any one who doesent like the game feel free to chuck your account here... haha cant beleive I missed the beta key giveaway gutted! If any one has a spare please PM me it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Rob.

PCG has a free key for you if you can answer their question:
    http://promo.pcgamer.com/Neverwinter/

Thanks man but this does not get me into the beta unfortunetly :(

Rob.