Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: The Enticement

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

MMO companies these days offer their players incentives to invest or to purchase "founder's" packages giving them extra perks for doing so. In today's Devil's Advocate, we take a look at the enticement that that fact brings. See what you think before airing your thoughts in the comments.

From last week’s Devil’s Advocate on beta testing behavior, a number of you felt beta tests were less about the testing and more about the advertisement factor for a game.

Taking your realizations into account, I wanted to discuss one of the other trends that have come about in the gaming sector as a whole: the development of ways to entice players to pre-purchase a game. 

Read more of Victor Barreiro Jr.'s The Devil's Advocate: The Enticement.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

I dont know why anyone pre purchases a game, especialy without trying it first.

You give all the power to the company and completely diminish the consumer (us). Companies make huge money off of stuff that isnt even complete, is broken or just flat out bad. 

Do yourself a favor, for the sake of your money, and for the sake of the genre... stop prepurchasing.

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

haha i pre purchased in the most unlikely place- Walmart, just for the shotgun!...then i saw what steam was offering!-its BEAST!....

I also called Trion to reasure my purchase at walmart so i can get access to beta after a few requiremnst from their end- i am in!- Trion costumer support are pretty awsome!-side note.

but this steam vehicle is tempting!!!!

• mnemic666mnemic666 Member UncommonPosts: 224

I highly dislike pre-purchase "unlocks" like this. The recent trend of having multiple levels of unlocks based on how many pre-orders are is a dirty way to incentivize people to pre-order when they may be hesitant about the actual product. They're pre-odering for the bonuses more than the product at that point.

Do not like shady practices like that. I know why they do it and I know they work, but I can't help but feel that they're fucking shady as all hell and not in the best interest of consumers.

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456
    I don't have a problem with people that like to prepurchase, except when they are the ones who do so and then run to the forums to RAGE ENDLESSLY about how angry they are about the developer stealing their money or something like that.  It's always safer to wait until the game comes out and to read the reviews before spending your money, especially if you are the type who rages because you wasted $60 due to your own poor judgement.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    Originally posted by Raventree
    I don't have a problem with people that like to prepurchase, except when they are the ones who do so and then run to the forums to RAGE ENDLESSLY about how angry they are about the developer stealing their money or something like that.  It's always safer to wait until the game comes out and to read the reviews before spending your money, especially if you are the type who rages because you wasted $60 due to your own poor judgement.

you nailed it!

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Its called an investment, except you dont make any proffit, and dont have to pay capitol gains tax.
  • jakinjakin Member UncommonPosts: 243
    Originally posted by birdycephon
    Its called an investment, except you dont make any proffit, and dont have to pay capitol gains tax.

No it's not - it's a consumer purchase based off marketing hype.

It's the same as buying a new model year car based only on what you see at the autoshow.

• victorbjrvictorbjr Member UncommonPosts: 212
    Originally posted by jakin

It's the same as buying a new model year car based only on what you see at the autoshow.

Heyo. Victor here. 

Just wanted to say that, yes, the consumer purchase based off marketing hype is an accurate way of putting it. 

Anyway, one thing to note is that crowdfunded initatives with stretch goals and whatnot have their own problem, which is that if you're not upfront about any issues you'll face, you're bound to not get funded. On Kickstarter, people now expect to know what difficulties a dev will face... which in itself is a somewhat refreshing development.

Of course, it doesn't stop impulse buying (Guilty of that, I am), but it helps. :)

A writer and gamer from the Philippines. Loves his mom dearly. :)

Can also be found on http://www.gamesandgeekery.com

• BMBenderBMBender Member UncommonPosts: 827

For me personally I don't pre-order games site un-seen, and havnt for the last 4 years.  Even games I have beta tested or demoed I wait 3-9 mo.(worked well for me on the SWTOR disaster) post release.  My reasoning is this: 

Incentive items invariable fall into two categories; fluff, safely ignored or balance borking super items.     Either way I could care less and such things don't move me except possibly away.

If a games dev/pub team have such poor planning and budgeting skills that they need LTS, LEGENDARY whozits, or special gimics to generate xtra $ to make payroll; the planning is gonna be just as bad once it hits live.  If they don't then let the moronic suckers and QVc watchers pony up if they wish.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    Never pre-order, if you just keep doing that you deserve to get burnt.
  • erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

We seen several compnies go the route of hey give me 69 - 250 bucks and we will let you beta test the product. 

I will not ever do that, just to get into a beta, what happens when you get into a beta after spending that kind of cash and hate it.

I think I will just wait until I see what the game has to offer.   The entier bs of pay us to beta, and folks fall for it is just sad.

• ariasaitchoariasaitcho Member UncommonPosts: 112
    Originally posted by erictlewis

We seen several compnies go the route of hey give me 69 - 250 bucks and we will let you beta test the product. 

I will not ever do that, just to get into a beta, what happens when you get into a beta after spending that kind of cash and hate it.

I think I will just wait until I see what the game has to offer.   The entier bs of pay us to beta, and folks fall for it is just sad.

^ this

Wait, you want me to pay you to find bugs in your product? lol so not gonna happen.

• VancePantsVancePants Member UncommonPosts: 43
    Originally posted by jakin

When you invest that money, you tend to want to get your money's worth, too. Even if you're disappointed in the game, you're not getting your money back, so you'll want to play the game you paid for. At least to an extent.

From then on, it's just a downward spiral. It happens all the time in F2P games, big spenders end up way over-committing to a game (financially) that they may not even enjoy (Pay-to-win tactics) - and then they can't justify leaving! When you've already spent [x] dollars, what's another [y]?

It's psychological warfare.

:D