Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Camelot Unchained: Bringing Pride to Game Play

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The latest "foundational principle" has shown up on the Camelot Unchained site. This time, the issue at hand is pride: Pride in race, class, guild, realm and server. See what the CU team has to say about all those things of which we should be proud.

In an RvR/RPS focused game such as CU, the belief that a player’s chosen class is either OP or highly competitive and never the “red-headed stepchild” is rather important to them. It is once again our job to make sure that each class archetype has enough differentiation from the other members of that archetype not only in their appearance but also in how they are intended to fill their niche within CU. In a perfect world, we would create three different tanks, each with their have their own advantages and disadvantages (so that no tank is perceived as the perfect choice) and that each implementation leaves the players wanting just a little bit more “oomph” for their preferred choice. It’s an old axiom among mediators that you’ve done your job well if both sides feel disappointed in a successful settlement to their dispute and I believe that that concept applies here as well. We want our players to love their chosen class (es) but we also want them to feel that they need something else to be complete (well, at least until the next patch).

Read the full post on the Camelot Unchained site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• GettCoupedGettCouped Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Unchained from EA perhaps?
  • oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

There titles realy make me lol.

Game companies realy ARE losing their grip with reality thinking they can program the feeling "pride" into their game.

If a person is a content lucust (and there are getting more of these every game it seems)....you can never make those players feel pride in anything inside the game.

The only time they feel "pride" is when they come to endgame within a week to then just bash the game that there is not enough content.

imho, only real roleplayers CAN feel pride in a game because they "live" the story they are playing.

So its wrong to claim they are putting pride inside their game imho.

All these misleading titles just make me want to go play chess or something and feel pride when winning from someone else online.

• MrBum21MrBum21 Member UncommonPosts: 405
    is it just me or does there seem to be a lot of coverage for a game we really know nothing about besides what they want to do?

the missing link in a chain of destruction.

All spelling and typographical errors are based soely on the fact that i just dont care. If you must point out my lack of atention to detail, please do it with a smile.

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    Originally posted by korr
    is it just me or does there seem to be a lot of coverage for a game we really know nothing about besides what they want to do?

We are at least two.

Just imagine what will happen if CU ever gets close to release. There will be news every hour on the hour probably. ;)

• bigjmanbigjman Member Posts: 6
    If he we have learned anything hype rules the mmo industry.
  • oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Originally posted by bigjman
    If he we have learned anything hype rules the mmo industry.

hmm, i dont think i have any hype left in me tbh......i used to be such a great fan of blizzard, now.....in a fiew days the second SC2 exp is comming and i dont feel excited AT ALL. (altough SC2 had a good sp-storyline imho).

But on the positive side......i am still loving GW2 tough, and TL2...and POE.....so it could be worse.

• bigjmanbigjman Member Posts: 6
    I'm gona make my opinion real simple since it really doesnt matter in the scheme of things. Until i see a game in its beta or finished form its just another multi million dollar failure that is hyped through this website so people will support it. This is a common trend so why fight it.
  • herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    The hype is based on who is making the game and fact he is sticking to hus roots.then again so did the maker of vanguard.
  • nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063
    This is the first blog that actually brought about some amount of interest from me. Yet...this game will remain in the dark corners in the back of my mind until the game is <1 year to release. Until then, it's just getting hyped up for nothing.
  • HersaintHersaint Member UncommonPosts: 366

Bring back realm pride! Nerf LA agian!

• DrolkinDrolkin Member UncommonPosts: 246
    Class differentiation?  That's a new one I've never heard... c.c

• RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455

I'm just not sure if 3-faction PvP as a concept, sells. Just look at how GW2's WvW turned out, overhyped to hell and back, players got their hands on it, and got burned out by the extremely repeatitive concept in less than a month.

Meanwhile, games like EVE and their limitless-way-conflict appear to have a much longer lasting potential than limited, 3-way NPC faction conflicts.

RvR has flaws. Always the same enemies, always the same locations, and being limited to just three factions, there is no room for freedom, no dramatic turns of events, just log in to kill the green and red team. Yay, I get to fight alongside my server, who I for the most part do not know, or care to know. The pride thing only work with very small niche communities... Which brings me back to my first point, it doesn't sell.

• TasarocaTasaroca Member Posts: 16

nate you never used to be that negative :-p well thats if you are nate from prydwin :-p

oh and raapnaap you obviously havent read that much on this concept but he wants to make a nche game  thats the whole point what he is wanting to make is not for the mass market gank a holics

and if people dont belive pride can be put in to a game then you didnt play daoc in the early years before investers and big business got there hands on it 

and i have to pitty you that  becouse  you missed something amazing

Tasaroca Troll ( I am not a buff bot damit) Shamy

Midgaurd /Prydwen / EU

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by raapnaap

I'm just not sure if 3-faction PvP as a concept, sells. Just look at how GW2's WvW turned out, overhyped to hell and back, players got their hands on it, and got burned out by the extremely repeatitive concept in less than a month.

Meanwhile, games like EVE and their limitless-way-conflict appear to have a much longer lasting potential than limited, 3-way NPC faction conflicts.

RvR has flaws. Always the same enemies, always the same locations, and being limited to just three factions, there is no room for freedom, no dramatic turns of events, just log in to kill the green and red team. Yay, I get to fight alongside my server, who I for the most part do not know, or care to know. The pride thing only work with very small niche communities... Which brings me back to my first point, it doesn't sell.

DAoC taught us that 3 sided RvR works. The problem with the way GW2 did it, is that there isn't much of a point to it. In DAoC, with the relics that gave benefits, keep take nights were some of the most active and dramatic events that ever took place in DAoC. When the call to arms went out to defend a relic, the entire realm would show up. There was pride in keeping the relics because there was a benefit in both pvp and pve.

Similarly, when Darkness Falls came out, there was a constant fighting over owning the most keeps for access to probably the best leveling area in the game. Not to mention the loot that could be earned in there was good too.

If mmos have taught us anything, it's that a free-for-all style of pvp is not overly popular. It has a place within the gaming world, but companies that are looking at offering more than a niche game, will keep pve and pvp mostly separated.

Three sided RvR is a concept that does sell, and is desired (just look at the forums here), but it's something that has only been implemented well once. There a reason why DAoC is so revered in the mmo world, because it was the game that brought pvp to the masses.

• Max_StrikerMax_Striker Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Originally posted by raapnaap

As I see one of the problems with GW2's WvWvW is that the result is not persistent. I mean what is the point on putting a lot of effort, gold, skill points on something that will be lost in a week at most. Besides the bonusses you get while dominating areas are not great and it does not give access to any unique resource or loot.

You talked about EVE and I have to agree that the "lilitless-way-conflict" is just amazing, actualy I think EVE has the best PVP by far at the moment. The Guild-Alliance ssytem and Solar System-Region control is great. You fight for a region on space,  you take control of that region and ou need to keep fighting to protect it. If it is on the most dangerous locations of the universe (0.0) you have access to the best loot, rewards and resources. It is just fantastic.

With 3 RvR it is impossible to to have the same limitless options of conflict but still it is possible to be very interesting and rewarding to defend your land against the other 2 enemy races.