Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Defiance: Twitch Gaming On a Massive Scale

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Creating a "from-scratch" MMO is one thing but to do so while simultaneously tying to a TV show is something that developers have nightmares about. Yet, Trion Worlds' Defiance is doing just that and, according to our hands on reporter, is ready to make good on all the promise that we expect. Check out our preview before heading to the comments.

“The reason why I've been excited about Defiance for so long is I like first person shooters, third person open world games and the communities that MMOs have. When Trion San Diego first decided to make Defiance, we asked ourselves, 'What does MMO mean to us?' and the answer was, 'a fun game in an online world where you can meet other people.' I feel like Defiance is really going to deliver on that and in a way that we haven't really had before. I mean, I can play this game on my big TV while sitting in my living room. That aspect is really exciting.” 

Read more of Neilie Johnson's Defiance: Twitch Gaming on a Massive Scale.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

I pre ordered- cant wait.

Pretty much tired of Dragon Knights and wizard mmos.

TSW, Firefall, and Borderlands2 with a little GW2 thrown in fills up my mmo time. As much fun as Firefall is, Defiance seems more polished and finished with pve content and events. ill be spending more time in it.

But Dont care much about the show- dont expect to see the show pass a first season. If you look at the media aside mmo sites like this Defiance hasnt made an impact in any magazine covers like lets say- Vampire diaries or things laike that.

anyhoot- Difiance mmo looks pretty awsome!

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Sounds like Tabula Rasa.......we all know how that ended.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

It better be a really good TV series...

Because the biggest thing this game seems to have going for it is that it's linked to a TV series. It certainly doesn't sound like it's breaking into new gameplay areas, all of what I've seen and read so far sounds totally familiar from a thousand other shooters and SPG RPG's I've played.

Some will say comfortably familiar. Some would say boringly familiar. Which reaction will turn out to be the most common, I wonder ?

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I don't think they will be ready and the console ported to pc ui, well we seen how that works, not. 

• SysFailSysFail Member Posts: 375

"Twitch on a massive scale"

Can somebody enlighten me to where it shows massive scale fights, or any numbers that fights might involve? 

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    You really cannot compare Defiance and Firefall, they are completely different kinds of games really. Though the "twitch" comment coming from Defiance is just silly.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Sounds like a solid FPS but I didnt hear any MMO aspects, more MO (multiplayer online) one's. But that seems to be common for MMORPGs thse days.
  • FluxiiFluxii Member Posts: 184

An EASY to call prediction considering how people usually treat games around here... within a week of launch of both Defiance and Firefall (seperately of course) there will be so much hate towards the games, they'll make the TOR and FF threads look nice.

I see more going to Defiance.  While it is far more polished at this stage yes, it's just... well... no breaking the NDA... enough people have said. 

God bless SyFy for trying though.  Maybe the console gamers will like it.  But PC gamers are a whole 'nother breed of assholes (me included) with "different" standards and expectations; especially if it's "cross-platform".  Don't make me use your shitty console sub-menus.

Anywho.  Just think Colonial Marines and how that went over vs. expectations despite 1000 gameplay trailers SHOWING how shitty the graphics and gameplay were. If it walks like a duck...

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810

[mod edit]

• TimassinTimassin Member Posts: 14
    Yes
  • SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    [mod edit]
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    I love Defiance! Awesome game!
  • SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896
    Is the character creator really going to be that barren? Only Human and Irathient, when the show has SIX alien races? I have been anticipating Defiance, in both media forms, for awhile and this is the first news that worries me.[mod edit]

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Maybe those are the two races that are allied? I have not heard of plans to add more races so expect to only get what you see and what you see is the best they have to show.
  • KossuthKossuth Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Is there any non combat element to the game?

Bjoern / Sir Prime

Habitual Euthanasia
    Pandemic Legion

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

capture the flag

no thanks, i'll stick with planetside 2

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Four0Six

Yep and I would play Tabula Rasa over this game.  Just my opinion of course.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Lets hope not.  I really enjoyed aspects of TR. At least the publisher isn't NCsoft.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

yes you are right, it is why I am interested for Defiance & preordered after beta weekend,TR was great mmo but destroyed with fight  Lord British vs Ncsoft !

• Southpaw.GamerSouthpaw.Gamer Member CommonPosts: 572
    The only question I have and the only aspect I could even care a little about is... Will the competitive PvP actually be good enough?  Will it possibly support an E-Sport side to the game?

Full Sail University - Game Design

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    [mod edit]

Wow they must have totally changed Firefall in the last week and a half because then it lacked any story and there was nothing driven by anyone cept thumpers and building your frames... very player driven. UI is dated. Wait fluid? Firefall? When?

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517

Yeah the company had major financial issues. Looking at Trion I do not see the similarities but haters are gonna hate and troll.

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by Yizle
    Originally posted by Diemos
    I really like Trion but after playing Firefall, Defiance just sucks. If you appreciate fedex questing and npcs with ! Above their heads then yes you will like Defiance. Firefall has a more player driven world and a much better UI and fluid shooter combat. Plus who doesn't like jumpjets?

Wow they must have totally changed Firefall in the last week and a half because then it lacked any story and there was nothing driven by anyone cept thumpers and building your frames... very player driven. UI is dated. Wait fluid? Firefall? When?

How is a ui that can be completely customized in game (not to mention mods) considered dated? Especially when compared against Defiance which can't be at all? Also, even on my older rig I never had any sort of stutter, much less blatant lag that is occuring at events (just like in Rift, with far fewer people!) and with some quests. Besides that, you really want to argue sandbox versus themepark on this forum? LOL.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• Matticus75Matticus75 Member UncommonPosts: 396

Im not going to pre order anything, voting with my wallet, as in, im not encouraging pay for betas, unfinished games, or broken games that offer nothing more than hype.

Been burned by with AoC and WAR...both garbage games, and a total joke when released

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Endless repetition of the same 3-4 type of open world tasks which are quite shallow on top of it.

Like with rifts and invasions, i'm sure Trion thinks this is very dynamic and innovative and never seen before.