Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is NOT Dungeons & Dragons

RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

I can't believe this. They're actually trying to pass this off as D&D? Seriously?

I logged in about an hour ago, decided to create a cleric. First off, I'm stuck with the 'devoted healer' cleric. Uhh, shouldn't that be something I decide myself while leveling? Secondly, I can't choose starting spells... or any spells at all. There are no spells, just 'abilities' like any other MMO. The hell?

I can't choose an alignment. I can't wear platemail, just chain. I don't wield a mace, gauntlet, club, or other simple weapon. I don't get to choose my starting feats. My holy symbol is my weapon, and I cast some stupid fucking 'lance of faith' spell as a default ranged attack. I HAVE NO MELEE ATTACK. Instead of having the option of using a shield, I dodge on a beam of light like Iceman from the X-Men.

Even worse, I CAN'T TURN UNDEAD. Are you fucking kidding me?!? A cleric can't turn undead. That's like saying a paladin can't 'lay on hands', or a fighter can't use a shield. Who the hell made this decision? And no, I don't mean I don't start with the ability... I mean it just simply isn't there. AT ALL.

This game is a complete and utter travesty. It's a fucking joke. It's D&D for the people who rode the short bus to school. Gary Gygax would come back from the dead as a lich and destroy Cryptic & WotC if he knew what they'd done to his creation. It's disgusting, and I feel physically ill after playing for an hour.

Anyone who's ever played D&D should be outraged at what they've done here. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to play Neverwinter Nights to wash the taste of this abomination out of my mouth.

Comments

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

It's based upon 4th Edition, which is NOWHERE near what 3rd Edition was.  You didn't have a lot of choices either.

To elaborate:

In 4th Edition, you chose a class.  Then a role.  You then got abilities based upon that.  It is WotC's attempt to make DnD kindof like an MMO for pen-paper people.

IMO of course.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Rednecksith

I can't believe this. They're actually trying to pass this off as D&D? Seriously?

I logged in about an hour ago, decided to create a cleric. First off, I'm stuck with the 'devoted healer' cleric. Uhh, shouldn't that be something I decide myself while leveling? Secondly, I can't choose starting spells... or any spells at all. There are no spells, just 'abilities' like any other MMO. The hell?

I can't choose an alignment. I can't wear platemail, just chain. I don't wield a mace, gauntlet, club, or other simple weapon. I don't get to choose my starting feats. My holy symbol is my weapon, and I cast some stupid fucking 'lance of faith' spell as a default ranged attack. I HAVE NO MELEE ATTACK. Instead of having the option of using a shield, I dodge on a beam of light like Iceman from the X-Men.

Even worse, I CAN'T TURN UNDEAD. Are you fucking kidding me?!? A cleric can't turn undead. That's like saying a paladin can't 'lay on hands', or a fighter can't use a shield. Who the hell made this decision? And no, I don't mean I don't start with the ability... I mean it just simply isn't there. AT ALL.

This game is a complete and utter travesty. It's a fucking joke. It's D&D for the people who rode the short bus to school. Gary Gygax would come back from the dead as a lich and destroy Cryptic & WotC if he knew what they'd done to his creation. It's disgusting, and I feel physically ill after playing for an hour.

Anyone who's ever played D&D should be outraged at what they've done here. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to play Neverwinter Nights to wash the taste of this abomination out of my mouth.

Got nothing to do with D&D except taht its based on forgotten realms lore..... Where D&D is all about freedom, this game is more like the ultimate themepark, many will love it, many will hate it, not being like D& D does not make it a bad game, just adifferent game.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Indeed, it's not D&D as we know it (guess you played AD&D2e like I did?). It's more an action MMO based on the Forgotten Realms created by Greenwood & Salvatore. But not quite that either... Thieflings as a native race in the FR..? In what realm (this Forgotten one obviously).

Played it an hour as well, and I'm not looking at it as the AD&D I used to play with pen-n-paper back in the late 80s till early this millenium (damn sounds like a long time... :p). Instead I'm playing it as an action game with some familiar elements and some that should not be there but hey, it's fantasy...

And yeah... Gary would stand up and head to the Cryptic studio's to do some lichdom there (can't say he'd return to the Forgotten Realms since he's the creator of Greyhawk ;-)

Originally posted by Reizla

Indeed, it's not D&D as we know it (guess you played AD&D2e like I did?). It's more an action MMO based on the Forgotten Realms created by Greenwood & Salvatore. But not quite that either... Thieflings as a native race in the FR..? In what realm (this Forgotten one obviously).

Played it an hour as well, and I'm not looking at it as the AD&D I used to play with pen-n-paper back in the late 80s till early this millenium (damn sounds like a long time... :p). Instead I'm playing it as an action game with some familiar elements and some that should not be there but hey, it's fantasy...

And yeah... Gary would stand up and head to the Cryptic studio's to do some lichdom there (can't say he'd return to the Forgotten Realms since he's the creator of Greyhawk ;-)

DnD has changed drastically since then.  4th Edition is rather "action" based tbh.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by Roguewiz
    Originally posted by Reizla

DnD has changed drastically since then.  4th Edition is rather "action" based tbh.

Yeah, heard that from a friend who still plays 3.5 (I thought 3.x was already way more action based than 1 and 2 were). He doesn't like it either and has the same 'if I wanna play aciton I grab a PC game additude like I have. Looks like NW does a good job then ;-)

It has some good points. Spells have a cool down. Some are longer than others. Some can be cast over and over. Not as annoying in the paper keeping side of things.

I'm looking forward to trying NW out when it is released.

The only time I played 4th ed was with a few friends as a play test.  I played a Bard.  It wasn't that bad (but wasn't great)

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Got nothing to do with D&D except taht its based on forgotten realms lore..... Where D&D is all about freedom, this game is more like the ultimate themepark, many will love it, many will hate it, not being like D& D does not make it a bad game, just adifferent game.

What makes it really not DND is no DM.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• ZyllosZyllos Member UncommonPosts: 537

Agreed.

It is D&D, just not 3.5e. 4e D&D completely changed how the game originally played. It actually lends itself very well to the MMO environment. The only issue is that 4e D&D had many more powers to choose from.

But that might change once they start to release new classes. But, honestly, they will need to introduce MANY new classes to get everything they need into a full flegded 4e D&D.

MMOs Played: I can no longer list them all in the 500 character limit.

• allegriaallegria Member CommonPosts: 682

Your post gave me a much needed laugh on a busy Friday afternoon. I am actually hooked on playing nwn2 of late myself.

• allegriaallegria Member CommonPosts: 682

And honestly.. if i see another game with the Diablo control setup, i wont even read further... i want my RPGs back... not every RPG is now A-RPG. I guess that is why i am likely forever stuck playing DDO, vanguard, nwn2 ... ( old stuff ).  :(

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

Public Service Thread.

This is why Pathfinder is ascendant and 4th Edition is headed for the garbage bin.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• Faran_BrygoFaran_Brygo Member UncommonPosts: 19

I thought DnD was all about pint-sized barbarians, annoyingly cute miniature unicorns, and red-headed female thieves who sometimes show their panties when jumping on horseback. At least that was all in the cartoon version. Were they using 3ed rules back then?

Being an old-schooler, it is difficult envisioning wanting to play NWN under the current rules system as is described in the OP, but I still will wait for some reviews.

I knew I should have taken that left turn at Albuquerque...

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    To the OP: what did you expect? This is Cryptic: the company that expects players to do their work for them while they stuff the cash shop and put the good items in "unlockable for RL cash" treasure chests. Not a surprise, but you didn't hear much about that from all the previews/first-looks/columns here, did you? That being the policy about a paid advertiser: Speak No Evil.
  • RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by ignore_me

Public Service Thread.

This is why Pathfinder is ascendant and 4th Edition is headed for the garbage bin.

Sorry, but 3/3.5 sucks for game play.  4ed isn't that bad and actually reminds me a lot of 1ed with an update.  1ed was really simple and straight forward.  Somewhere along the way 3.5 ed became this ugly bloated mess of complexity that added nothing to the game.  The fact that you can feck up your entire character to a point of unplayability unless you choose one of the min/max builds is a fatal flaw right there.

Untrue. The only way you could screw up your character is if you had absolutely zero understanding of the rules and / or your class mechanics. A lot of 3 / 3.5's complexity wasn't necessary; they were simply optional rules put there for people who wanted to use them.

I don't know how closely this game emulates the 4.0 ruleset, but it's so incredibly dumbed down from games such as Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, Temple of Elemental Evil, and DDO that I honestly feel personally insulted by it.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Its based off DnD 4th edition which is a bit watered down and 'meh' version of the old style. In that regard, it is a lot closer then what you claim it to NOT be, but sure its definently missing some things and the very stingy classes aren't a very positive thing either.  Granted 4th edition isn't all that great in terms of being more free for class design, this does take out a lot of those choices that were left over which is in my opinion a negative flaw and pretty much taking out the best part of what made DnD fun.

3.5 wasn't perfect mind you (thus why pathfinder came to exist to take 3.5 and evolve it) but I do feel it was far better then 4th edition. The glory of 3.5 being used is a lot of the elements could be done under the seens, and in some degree, yes, you can have it so people don't worry about some of those 'complex' elements without infringing too much on the rules. 

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

so what makes this game any different then the yawn fest that was TERA?  The foundry? cause so far I have seen nothing interesting at all

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by Myrdynn

so what makes this game any different then the yawn fest that was TERA?  The foundry? cause so far I have seen nothing interesting at all 

For as much hype as the Foundry in this game has been getting, I predict that the outcome will be just like it is in STO: hundreds upon hundreds of player made missions and all but a very few complete crap. It is on the order of 50 to 1 in STO. And also, no way to tell the good from the bad. So in the end, the Foundry is a selling point that Cryptic uses, to set aside complaints about the small world and limited non-cash shop choices. And it is not good for much else.
  • Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588
    Originally posted by Burntvet

For as much hype as the Foundry in this game has been getting, I predict that the outcome will be just like it is in STO: hundreds upon hundreds of player made missions and all but a very few complete crap. It is on the order of 50 to 1 in STO. And also, no way to tell the good from the bad. So in the end, the Foundry is a selling point that Cryptic uses, to set aside complaints about the small world and limited non-cash shop choices. And it is not good for much else.

Everyone kneel, we got a Seer in the room.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• epoqepoq Member UncommonPosts: 394
    Yet another letdown with this.  Playing for a couple of hours....really nothing good to say about the game except the combat is decent.  Nothing reminiscent of D&D and it's closed world which makes it even more boring for me.  Pretty much just a dungeon runner.  Don't even think of it as an MMO, think of it as an ARPG.  You'll be slightly disappointed if you change your perception of the game.  All in all, good thing it's F2P because I wouldn't pay a dime for it.  Glad I was able to get into the beta without pre-purchasing one of the founders packs.  Woulda been realllll pissed off.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Alber_gamer
    Originally posted by Burntvet

Everyone kneel, we got a Seer in the room.

lol anyway.. i never played STO but foundry in this game is pretty damn complex.. you can do an incredible amount of things.. only issue is some things are hard to do and to get them to work how you want you have to do a lot of messing around which will turn many users away.. hopefully they release a good tutorial or a nice tester puts one out..

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by epoq
    Yet another letdown with this.  Playing for a couple of hours....really nothing good to say about the game except the combat is decent.  Nothing reminiscent of D&D and it's closed world which makes it even more boring for me.  Pretty much just a dungeon runner.  Don't even think of it as an MMO, think of it as an ARPG.  You'll be slightly disappointed if you change your perception of the game.  All in all, good thing it's F2P because I wouldn't pay a dime for it.  Glad I was able to get into the beta without pre-purchasing one of the founders packs.  Woulda been realllll pissed off.

i always knew it was more of a dungeon crawler and feel its a hybrid 3d diablo style game with d&d elements and enjoy it knowing that.. was never expecting a full open world MMO or anything real indepth 

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

As the creator of the rogueadin build in ddo, I resent that remark. You don't need a vetted build in ddo to not suck. You just need a build that makes sense and is actually planned out. Imo

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Is it kinda fun though? Like if I thought about it as WoW Unchained?

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

Don't think of it like WoW, it's really nothing like WoW... not even graphically. Try it, it's free, and it's fun. And if you don't like it? You just uninstall it, you didn't lose a single penny on it.

While on the DnD subject, I found quite funny that just a moment ago I prayed with my Devoted Cleric to an altar of Waukeen, and I got a gold gain buff. It was a really nice touch. (For those that don't know it, Waukeen is the god of Trade and Wealth in Forgotten Realms)

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• shalissarshalissar Member UncommonPosts: 509

I was also really, really underwhelmed. I understand that it's 4e but in that case there needs to be more than what they're currently offering in terms of class variation. As DnD.. Alright it's 4e, but also in terms of a dungeon crawler, well, I'm coming from Dragon Nest. From what I can remember of DDO, i feel like DDO's instances were superior as well. Are we not yet done with generic corridor followed by generic room followed by generic corridor repeated until there's a boss? Cripes people, 2013.

I'll pick it up again later, seems like it just ain't for me right now. Managed to report a major bug within the time I played though. So I've done my part.