Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Richard Garriott's Shroud of the Avatar

Excalaber2Excalaber2 Member UncommonPosts: 360

Well, it's a bittersweet announcement.  I actually started my excitement by pledging $25 on kickstarter.  But then I continued to watch the cast and heard richard garriott say "Not focusing MMO" and then explaining the instanced gameplay.  Yes, you can see friends...but the thousands of people online will be like "snapshots" it seems.  The world still will be persistent I'm sure, but this isn't the next dream in my view.  I had to then cancel kickstarter because I really don't want to get burned on this one. 

What do you guys think?  Did any of you pledge?  If so, what are you thoughts about the instanced gameplay and "overworld" type design?

Edit:  Just want to clarify, this isn't to say I won't pick it up at launch.  But I certainly don't feel like I should pledge at this time unless it's something I can put my soul into.  This just doesn't feel right for that.

Disclaimer: This is not a troll post and is not here to promote any negative energy. Although this may be a criticism, it is not meant to offend anyone. If a moderator feels the post is inappropriate, please remove it immediately before it is subject to consideration for a warning. Thank you.

Comments

• OldskooOldskoo Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Yeah, I agree. I was interested in what he was talking about until I realized the game was more of a multiplayer instance game instead of a traditional MMO. Was hoping for something like a UO 2. Sounds unique, but without the thrill of an open world with many other strangers to play with and interact, its not my cup of tea. 

• nottunednottuned Member Posts: 92
    Most MMO'a you solo in anyhow how would instanced play be much different other than you dont occasionally have to fight over mobs with someone. If its instanced "Group" play than it may be more of a multiplayer game than most mmo's ive played recently. Ill give it a shot I've enjoyed games he has made in the past.
  • OldskooOldskoo Member UncommonPosts: 189
    I am sure it could be a fun game, I was just hoping for UO 2. Without a massive population it isn't the same thing. 

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    i did pledge (25$) - why would i not just because it is not MMO? do you think that only mmos are worth playing?
  • XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 516

It's a very odd concept to say the least. In a way it's similar to Star Citizen, the problem is that being in space it's much easier for that game to get away with dynamic instancing. 

He mentioned that when you connect it will "download the new shop of a certain player in town", but how does that work for (potentially) millions of players? I don't know, the concept seems weird to me.

Executive Editor (Games) http://www.wccftech.com

• NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 402
    Originally posted by nottuned
    Most MMO'a you solo in anyhow how would instanced play be much different other than you dont occasionally have to fight over mobs with someone. If its instanced "Group" play than it may be more of a multiplayer game than most mmo's ive played recently. Ill give it a shot I've enjoyed games he has made in the past.

exactly most MMO#s already have that, thats why MMOs are boring

• Excalaber2Excalaber2 Member UncommonPosts: 360
    Originally posted by Benedikt
    i did pledge (25$) - why would i not just because it is not MMO? do you think that only mmos are worth playing?

No, I would still pick it up if it's a solid game (even if not an MMO).  However, I'm just not getting a good "Feel" from this. $25 is not a lot of money, but at the same time it's being paid a year in advance for something that may end up being a huge disappointment.  I loved all of the guy's games, but at the same time he has enough money to get this rolling without kickstarter. Another odd thing that turned me off was the whole 1 new chapter per year type of thing. It's also going to be a story driven game, that I fear may be "completeable".   Again, I'm not saying the game will be a bad game necessarily...but I actually feel it may lack the depth you might hope for in an ultima game. 

We'll see!  With his new angle on the future of gaming, I can see this being a pretty decent $9.99 game available for ios/android...but not a $59.99 deep RPG.  Know what I'm saying?

Disclaimer: This is not a troll post and is not here to promote any negative energy. Although this may be a criticism, it is not meant to offend anyone. If a moderator feels the post is inappropriate, please remove it immediately before it is subject to consideration for a warning. Thank you.

• Excalaber2Excalaber2 Member UncommonPosts: 360
    Originally posted by nottuned

Yeah, that's the problem.  The whole hope here was that this would get away from solo-driven gameplay.  For the people who didn't enjoy SWTOR, that was one of the main problems.  Not everyone like to play solo with an unrewarding chance to group.  I think there needs to be a balance somewhere in between where you can solo, but grouping and socializing is promoted in real time.  

Of course there is something to be said about "what sells", and solo gameplay is it.  But I'm not going to simply buy "what sells" if it's not a good upgrade from an industry leader back in the day.  I'd expect some innovation and building upon what was learned in the past.  To me, this seems like the wrong direction for him.  

• SephrosSephros Member UncommonPosts: 429
    I'm a backer!

Error: No Keyboard Detected!
    Press F1 to continue......

• ABRaquelABRaquel Member UncommonPosts: 541

He talks about exploration but that overland map really makes the world seem small.

Also the graphics don't look that great, I'm not asking for realistic graphics but not something that looks a bit cartoony for my taste. In the end Pathfinder Online just seems far more interesting.

• hupahupa Member UncommonPosts: 157
    I wanted a singleplayer RPG from RG, but if I can include my brothers in my game that's a plus. Very excited about this game.
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Not interested, if its not a MMO. What's the point? Shouldn't this go into general gaming forum?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,106

Seems to me this post is not MMO related as the game is not an MMO. Therefore its probably in the wrong place as we are currently in the MMO forum...

Screw Richard Garriott, sure he made my fav game of all time, but hasn't been able to produce squat that I've enjoyed since. And this game sounds like more of the same of what we already have. Whoopee.

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Traditionally this site has very vague requirements for what is and what is not an MMO. Half the people here call Diablo 3 an MMO. Fact of the matter is, we have no idea how many people will be able to populate these worlds. How the character information will be stored, etc, etc. 

• SephrosSephros Member UncommonPosts: 429

Funny.  Only the people who don't want this game are up in arms about its mmo post worthyness.  There are plenty here on this site that arent mmo's

Error: No Keyboard Detected!
    Press F1 to continue......

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    It'll be interesting to see his approach to storytelling in the game.  Just the fact that he's talking about unscripted questing has me taking notice, whether or not it's "technically" an MMO.  More interested in gameplay than graphics.  When was the last time you saw a truly good special effects movie?  Was it good because of the special effects, or were they an added bonus?
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

LOL .. that is the best he can do? A kickstarter?

So he can't raise a cent from investors, and now he is trying to get money from you. Count me out until he has a real game to sell. And even then, i will see whether he still has it to make a fun game.

• Chief021Chief021 Member Posts: 107
    I was also going to contribute to the kickstarter until I read the FAQ and it stated it was not an MMORPG and then I watched as he spoke about everything being instanced and the only "social" elements will be in towns and villages.  Kind of lame... but there is a market out there for it... so best of luck!

A PS4 ESO guild accepting applications at http://lowlyknights.enjin.com

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586
    Wow $224,000 already

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Didn't he sue on the Tabula Rasa fiasco and get some settlement ? What he blew all that on his space trip ? 

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Sephros

Funny.  Only the people who don't want this game are up in arms about its mmo post worthyness.  There are plenty here on this site that arent mmo's

I know isn't it odd.  On top of your point the guy has contributed as much to rpg gaming, especially online gaming, as any other developer out there.

The game has an online component, but isn't an "mmo".  I don't see what's wrong with that.

There are plenty of successful, good fun online games that are not MMOs. So there is nothing wrong with it.

At the same time, i have no confident that LB knows how to make a good modern game. His last endeaver was a disaster that was aimed at funding his space trip.

I just read about the odd-ball skill system.

I don't think it is fun. The random use of skills basically eliminate tactical depth (i.e. shall i put out a freezing spell to CC a mob, then start using my range attack) .. and you will just monotonically click the attack button.

Sure there may be a meta game (of what skill to put into your "deck) but many games have both.

Is this a case of doing something new just for the sake of claiming "innovation"?

I willl wait till the game is out and see how it plays. But so far, it does not excite me .. much less than other announced games.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by XAleX360

It's a very odd concept to say the least. In a way it's similar to Star Citizen, the problem is that being in space it's much easier for that game to get away with dynamic instancing. 

Really? How is that so? Explain. In Detail.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by FromHell
    Originally posted by XAleX360

Really? How is that so? Explain. In Detail.

assume they mean by it having both online and offline modes as star citizen is supposed ot as well

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• GreyfaceGreyface Member Posts: 390
    As a fan of the real Ultima series (as opposed to UO), this is the game I was hoping RG was going to announce.... I don't think I'll be pledging though.  He can have my money when the game launches.