Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Lord British- Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues

Comments

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012
    Garriot has warm spot in hearts of many old school RPG fans...he'll raise up quite a lot of cash for sure
  • ZouharianZouharian Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Here's a prediction for you: They will reach their target by the latest tomorrow, probably tonight.
  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Zouharian
    Here's a prediction for you: They will reach their target by the latest tomorrow, probably tonight.

Very possible, but I'm predicting next friday by midnight oO. 

• ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79
    Originally posted by SlickShoes

Another well known video game developer going down the kickstarter route, what is the reason for the kickstarter funding?

People are already throwing money at it without even reading the page, which is nice in one way and a bit disturbing in another

Read the page, watched the video, then threw money at it :P 

Haven't read anything I haven't liked so far. 

Player Housing

Classless Character System

Fully interactive virtual world - If it looks usable, it should do something

Multiplayer Online Game - which can also be played solo player / offline

Something that looks Akin to Dynamic Events

PvP

The ability to be nothing but a crafter

A game thats about living a story rather than grinding levels

Pretty much everything I've been looking for in an Fantasy MMO.  

I also have a bit of faith in Garriott and it sounds as if he has a good team. I also don't see EA ever releasing a UO2 and if they did I'm not confident in them to do it well and I have no interest in buying another EA game anyways. 

Most importantly.... 

(Richard Garriott) Shroud of the Avatar > (EA) Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar

but its not an MMO  :(

...otherwise i would have been interested as well.  I guess I will wait and hear what his version of MO is.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Kickstarter, really? Lord Brittish had $23M from NCSoft after that lawsuit and he should have that $1M he's looking to raise for... Kinda sad that he's asking OUR money, which tells me he doesn't have faith in his game :s

[EDIT]

I've watched the movie and it DOES look interesting... But still... LB is not able to raise $1M by himself..?

Originally posted by Zarriya

Another well known video game developer going down the kickstarter route, what is the reason for the kickstarter funding?

People are already throwing money at it without even reading the page, which is nice in one way and a bit disturbing in another

Read the page, watched the video, then threw money at it :P 

Haven't read anything I haven't liked so far. 

Player Housing

Classless Character System

Fully interactive virtual world - If it looks usable, it should do something

Multiplayer Online Game - which can also be played solo player / offline

Something that looks Akin to Dynamic Events

PvP

The ability to be nothing but a crafter

A game thats about living a story rather than grinding levels

Pretty much everything I've been looking for in an Fantasy MMO.  

I also have a bit of faith in Garriott and it sounds as if he has a good team. I also don't see EA ever releasing a UO2 and if they did I'm not confident in them to do it well and I have no interest in buying another EA game anyways. 

Most importantly.... 

(Richard Garriott) Shroud of the Avatar > (EA) Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar

but its not an MMO  :(

...otherwise i would have been interested as well.  I guess I will wait and hear what his version of MO is.

With the overuse of instancing in MMO's now days I'm not sure you'll actually notice the difference between MMO and MO. Personally I'm thinking it's going to work some what similar to Path of Exile for the MO side of things, but I'm open for anything. 

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Reizla
    Kickstarter, really? Lord Brittish had $23M from NCSoft after that lawsuit and he should have that $1M he's looking to raise for... Kinda sad that he's asking OUR money, which tells me he doesn't have faith in his game :s

[EDIT]

I've watched the movie and it DOES look interesting... But still... LB is not able to raise $1M by himself..?

didn't he spend all that to go to space? heh

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• ZouharianZouharian Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Originally posted by Reizla

[EDIT]

Well - two things: Why put up the money yourself if you can raise it in a few days on Kickstarter, and second I think he spent a fair bit of his NC money travelling into space.

• SephrosSephros Member UncommonPosts: 429
    Originally posted by austriacus
    Ok sandbox lovers, all of you who started with UO. Time to put your money where your mouth is and support the guy who got you in the genre, cause i sure as hell wont.

Done!

Error: No Keyboard Detected!
    Press F1 to continue......

• ColdrenColdren Member UncommonPosts: 495
    Originally posted by jtcgs

This looks like its being made with mobile devices in mind, as if it was made in 2003 with those graphics.

I will not back even Garriott with a project that is taking 2-3 steps backwards to support the death of PC gaming in favor of mobile gaming. Damn shame...would have jumped at a new Ultima with monitrary support.

A few points:

In an interview done with Stratics a few months back, it was stated that it was originally targetd to be released on tablets first. This is the first time they've annouced that it will be on the PC first (On kickstarter, it now states mobile/tablet is a stretch goal), so that would explain a bit about why it looks like it's designed for mobile devices - Because originally, it was.

Second, this is the prototype engine (You can see the word prototype next to the title in every frame of the video). Don't judge how it looks now by how it will look in a year or more. I'm sure now that they've switched gears towards the PC instead of the mobile market, it will improve a fair deal.

And for everyone else, yes, please do keep in mind that this game is NOT an MMO and it is NOT UO2. It's a single player game with a MO component. It's more like a new Ultima single player game that you can now play online with friends.. Multiplayer RPG would be a more apt description. It's for the Ultima fans, not not necessarily the Ultima ONLINE fans, though most were Ultima fans to begin with.

I'll be keeping an eye on it.

• Originally posted by jtcgs

This looks like its being made with mobile devices in mind, as if it was made in 2003 with those graphics.

I will not back even Garriott with a project that is taking 2-3 steps backwards to support the death of PC gaming in favor of mobile gaming. Damn shame...would have jumped at a new Ultima with monitrary support.

Hopefully it won't look like that in the final version. If it does, lol.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    My thought is this guy had a hit in Ultima and has done zip since.  Would not waste my money on a has been by funding his new game.
  • sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849
    Game looks decent on paper, the guy sounds slightly crazy. Especially that he is smiling in a weird way throughout the whole video.

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Finally !!!

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

OMG! A single player Ultima-style game! It's like what was promised for Ultima 9, except without EA around to completely fuck it up!

*throws wallet at the screen* TAKE IT! TAKE IT ALL! JUST GIMME!!!! image

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    never ever thought i'd be saying this, but i think i am going to join in this one with a $60 founder donation, first time for everything i guess image
  • sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849

*wipes spit off the screen*

To all of you vets drooling here.... Do you really want me to look through your post history and find post: "I won't ever, for any game, get hyped again!" "Once burned, twice shy" and others? 

If not.... you guys better come to your senses quick... or run fast since i'll be beating somesense into you and the hype train you can escape on is leaving the station in 5.... 4.... 3....

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

This is very interesting. Looking forward to this project.

Lord British, whatever you dont, dont forget to add WASD movement. Point and click only like the old Ultima does not cut it anymore

• EkarosEkaros Member UncommonPosts: 367
    I'm not entirely sure what it wants to be. Persistent multiplayer cities with houses with rent... Offline single player? It looks bit too messy for my taste...
    Originally posted by sacredfool

To all of you vets drooling here.... Do you really want me to look through your post history and find post: "I won't ever, for any game, get hyped again!" "Once burned, twice shy" and others? 

If not.... you guys better come to your senses quick... or run fast since i'll be beating somesense into you and the hype train you can escape on is leaving the station in 5.... 4.... 3....

I don't care... 

I have played and still own every Ultima game made :P I have all of Todd McFarlane's Ultima figures. I have some signed and some not. I have cloth maps of Sosaria. I'm hyped and I could care less how anyone else feels or how they perceive me for being hyped about this game. EA's latest attempt at capitalizing on UO was the first time I ever decided to pass on an Ultima title. I was ready to write the franchise off completely before this announcement. 

A developer I have faith in and an IP I grew up with on top of a game that sounds and looks good (To me) equates to me being hyped. If it goes down in flames I will be a bit dissapointed, but I won't be devistated. If it is a success, well then I'd be happier than gallagher at a farmers market!

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

i know... and i may end up kicking myself for doing it.. but i hope i dont image

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618

I don't care... 

I have played and still own every Ultima game made :P I have all of Todd McFarlane's Ultima figures. I have some signed and some not. I have cloth maps of Sosaria. I'm hyped and I could care less how anyone else feels or how they perceive me for being hyped about this game. EA's latest attempt at capitalizing on UO was the first time I ever decided to pass on an Ultima title. I was ready to write the franchise off completely before this announcement. 

A developer I have faith in and an IP I grew up with on top of a game that sounds and looks good (To me) equates to me being hyped. If it goes down in flames I will be a bit dissapointed, but I won't be devistated. If it is a success, well then I'd be happier than gallagher at a farmers market!

This is not related to Ultima, this is a rpg with Richard garriots name on it, like Tabula rasa.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Yuui

In short? 

Market interest measurement, research of customer needs and free community-based advertisment. 

Seeing the nuances of the game development and possibly participating in it in some way is VERY attractive for custommers, as Wasteland II kickstarter has shown. 

Not to mention that as kickstarter finishes, the kickstarter results and stats can be then used to possibly attract "bigger fish" to invest into the product, showcasing the already existing custommer base and market interest. 

This --^

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Richard Garriot comes off cocky.
  • Originally posted by austriacus

I don't care... 

This is not related to Ultima, this is a rpg with Richard garriots name on it, like Tabula rasa.

Why is it called Shroud of the Avatar then?