Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

About That SimCity And EA Fiasco

Comments

• WarleyWarley Member UncommonPosts: 508
    Originally posted by coretex666

Nice hate post.

Saying that companies are greedy and that they are lead by business men, not game developers,etc will make people with even a little knowledge of economics / business or even people with common sense laugh (at you, not with you).

You may have some chance with the "They took his jooob" crowd as these people tend to be driven by passion rather than reason and will probably follow you on your misguided way.

Despite the fact that I do agree that consumers who are uneducated and buy some product which they are not satisfied with afterwards do not deserve any kind of refund considering that the information about the product were available before the purchase, I still despise you for the way you interpret your thoughts and for the simplicity and uneducatedness of the rest of your "message". 

Uneducatedness? That isn't even a word. Yet, you're going to attack me in this manner?

Now, I'm not sure if you're simply trying to create drama or really view me as worthless or unintelligent. Either way, I just want to point to a little game called Minecraft. This little game has sold millions of copies and had a development budget of roughly nil.This alone derails your rather rudimentary response and exposes  you as nothing more than a drama queen. 

The reason why EA is the most hated company in the US is because it's ran by businessmen who chase money. They don't innovate, anymore.  They chase and chase and chase. They chased Blizzard and Wow; they chased Zynga; and now that they failed in those areas with MMO's and social games (being late to the table with zero innovation) they are trying to chase the biggest propaganda hype machine ever: microtransactions.

All they know how to do is regurgitate crap based upon the latest fads and bubbles.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I still don't see why people hate on Diablo 3.  I still play it and I'd buy it again.
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

SimCity 5 is a great, great game.

The amount of time I've spent playing w/o bugs or issues surpasses the couple of issues I've had by an order of 10 to 1 easily.

I'm sorry others haven't been as lucky?

Metacritic is a joke.

If this game released with a flawless launch, it'd be solid 8-10 across the board based on the GAME.

Issues will be fixed, people will get many many weeks/months/years enjoyment out of this title.

So yeah, the service as it stands right now for me is about a 6-7 but the game and gameplay is definitely 9-10 range.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    Originally posted by doodphace
    Originally posted by LIOKI
    I wonder how that board meeting went. You suppose they sat in the boardroom and brainstormed ways to sabotage the very product that pays their wages? Maybe shareholders in EA are made up mostly of 4chan members and this is a epic troll. I just can't wrap my head around how everyone thinks this was intentional.

One can argue that they are losing as much money on DRM as they would have through piracy if DRM was not implemented...

What does that have to do with people angrily crying foul believing they were intentionally sold a product that was defective?

To that specific point, nothing.

To people complaining about DRM (or other services like it) being implemented, remember that it was a response to rampant piracy going on in the PC market.

There is ZERO excuse to have DRM/the game not function, but always remember why they are attempting it in the first place.

Because piracy is rampant on the PC!! and the consoles are the safest platforms evah!... really... weak arguments are weak arguments, World of Warcraft is a game that's been pirated to death with literally thousands of private servers out there and yet it's the MMO to beat in terms of playerbase even almost 10 years down the line, Starcraft 1 was pirated to death yet it is still selling to this day, The Sims, Neverwinter 1 and 2,  Mass Effect 1,2,3, Starcraft 2 (yes that thing actually has a crack with a built in server emulator), Diablo 3 (semi-functional one granted but still), the Total War series, Blitzkrieg, etc. What do all these games also have in common? They also sold decent to large amounts making back their budgets and going into a hefty profit. Now you may claim they might've sold allot more had piracy not been an issue but my question is the following: How many people who pirate games end up buying them for the multiplayer components or to play them on official servers (the case of B2P or P2P MMOs) if the game is worth its price? Now compare that number to the number of people who you alienate by them having to always be connected to a server to play a singleplayer game that's on their computer.

Ya..piracy is not an issue in PC gaming..you got me...

/sigh

It's only ever and issue if your game is buggy, poorly made, uninspired, a rushed sequel, etc. Great games sell well even decades after their original release, poor games don't, the only ones hurt by piracy are the poor ones because once people figure out the game isn't worth 50-60$ bucks they won't buy it and piracy is a way people can get to play the game and find that out before paying (demos are rarely put out these days and the ones that are can't always be trusted one way or another). I am not advocating piracy btw, I am advocating major developers and publishers doing their jobs for the first time in years and putting out games which will make even the most piratical cyber villian imaginable go "finished the game for free... gonna fork over the cash to buy it to play it again and reward the developers" and believe it or not most would actually do that, Hell I know people who played the entire mass effect trilogy for "free" and then went out and bought them all (even before the trilogy pack came out).

People are much more likely to pirate a game on the PC? Why? Because it doesn't cost them anything to do so. If you want to play pirated games on your console, you have to crack your xbox/ps3 which voids your warranty. Also you can't play on Xbox live or PSN as you will probably get banned. Also I think that each new console updates break those hacks so you have to rehack your console. Not a lot of people are willing to go through all this to pirate a console game and risk their console getting banned from Xbox Live/PSN and voiding their warranty.

It's common knowledge that piracy is very common on the PC. Even if the game is crap, it's not fair that you played through the game and decided that it's crap so you're not going to pay for it. There are trials which can help you decide. Although it is true that a lot of games don't have trials. But that doesn't justify you stealing people's IP.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by TheScavenger
    I wonder how that board meeting went. You suppose they sat in the boardroom and brainstormed ways to sabotage the very product that pays their wages? Maybe shareholders in EA are made up mostly of 4chan members and this is a epic troll. I just can't wrap my head around how everyone thinks this was intentional.

One can argue that they are losing as much money on DRM as they would have through piracy if DRM was not implemented...

What does that have to do with people angrily crying foul believing they were intentionally sold a product that was defective?

To people complaining about DRM (or other services like it) being implemented, remember that it was a response to rampant piracy going on in the PC market.

There is ZERO excuse to have DRM/the game not function, but always remember why they are attempting it in the first place.

Because piracy is rampant on the PC!! and the consoles are the safest platforms evah!... really... weak arguments are weak arguments, World of Warcraft is a game that's been pirated to death with literally thousands of private servers out there and yet it's the MMO to beat in terms of playerbase even almost 10 years down the line, Starcraft 1 was pirated to death yet it is still selling to this day, The Sims, Neverwinter 1 and 2,  Mass Effect 1,2,3, Starcraft 2 (yes that thing actually has a crack with a built in server emulator), Diablo 3 (semi-functional one granted but still), the Total War series, Blitzkrieg, etc. What do all these games also have in common? They also sold decent to large amounts making back their budgets and going into a hefty profit. Now you may claim they might've sold allot more had piracy not been an issue but my question is the following: How many people who pirate games end up buying them for the multiplayer components or to play them on official servers (the case of B2P or P2P MMOs) if the game is worth its price? Now compare that number to the number of people who you alienate by them having to always be connected to a server to play a singleplayer game that's on their computer.

/sigh

It's only ever and issue if your game is buggy, poorly made, uninspired, a rushed sequel, etc. Great games sell well even decades after their original release, poor games don't, the only ones hurt by piracy are the poor ones because once people figure out the game isn't worth 50-60$ bucks they won't buy it and piracy is a way people can get to play the game and find that out before paying (demos are rarely put out these days and the ones that are can't always be trusted one way or another). I am not advocating piracy btw, I am advocating major developers and publishers doing their jobs for the first time in years and putting out games which will make even the most piratical cyber villian imaginable go "finished the game for free... gonna fork over the cash to buy it to play it again and reward the developers" and believe it or not most would actually do that, Hell I know people who played the entire mass effect trilogy for "free" and then went out and bought them all (even before the trilogy pack came out).

The Witcher and Witcher 2 have no DRM at all, and were two of the most pirated games in gaming history.

And how many people bought the game? Did the developer/publisher go out of business? or are they making The Witcher 3 which is doing something unheard of on the 3rd installement of any game: iterating on existing gameplay and polishing it off.

Originally posted by fivoroth

/sigh

People are much more likely to pirate a game on the PC? Why? Because it doesn't cost them anything to do so. If you want to play pirated games on your console, you have to crack your xbox/ps3 which voids your warranty. Also you can't play on Xbox live or PSN as you will probably get banned. Also I think that each new console updates break those hacks so you have to rehack your console. Not a lot of people are willing to go through all this to pirate a console game and risk their console getting banned from Xbox Live/PSN and voiding their warranty.

It's common knowledge that piracy is very common on the PC. Even if the game is crap, it's not fair that you played through the game and decided that it's crap so you're not going to pay for it. There are trials which can help you decide. Although it is true that a lot of games don't have trials. But that doesn't justify you stealing people's IP.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=jailbroken+ps3&_frs=1

You can also just buy a faulty PS3 for cheap (make sure it's a relatively easily fixed fault), take it to a modder, have it repaired and modded.

Same goes for the Xbox which is even cheaper and easier to do and before you say anything: I googled it just now, plenty of places you can acquire such consoles for cheap to play the games you want for free.

Also I or anyone who does decide to pirate (though I never said I have pirated any game up until now and I really don't have any reasons to, I play mostly MMOs these days and thus can afford to splurge on games I know are good from time to time) they are not stealing anything from the developer, not their IP, not their produced game disks, nothing and if the game is worth its salt someone who wouldn't have bought the game otherwise would decide to. Granted by the same token many games suffer due to piracy but which games suffer the most and barely make their budgets back? Hint: it ain't only the ones heavily pirated.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Would the problem be so bad if you could still play offline in some limited fashion?

Maybe at least have some default map and be able to play a basic city, but when you get online to the servers, your city now connects to neighbors, you can start from additional maps, and you get scenarios and such to govern through.

I think the bulk of the backlash is just that we have what was historically a single-player game, and now has broken always-connected DRM.

I think the online features they added sound fun - it's stuff I always wanted to see in the franchise - being able to interact with other people's cities and work live trade and such. But the fact that it comes at the exclusion of any single-player game, and that the game is broken without it, is the real problem for me.

Originally posted by Ridelynn

Would the problem be so bad if you could still play offline in some limited fashion?

Maybe at least have some default map and be able to play a basic city, but when you get online to the servers, your city now connects to neighbors, you can start from additional maps, and you get scenarios and such to govern through.

I think the bulk of the backlash is just that we have what was historically a single-player game, and now has broken always-connected DRM.

I think the online features they added sound fun - it's stuff I always wanted to see in the franchise - being able to interact with other people's cities and work live trade and such. But the fact that it comes at the exclusion of any single-player game, and that the game is broken without it, is the real problem for me.

I don't really mind certain levels of DRM. It's when they make it hard to remove and it tracks you, and it requires you to always be online.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Bet the OP is mostly upset he can't pirate the game.

Most of us are to blame for one thing, and thats not buying fun games, its stealing them forcing game makers to invent DRM.

Lets stop pretending we didn't do this to ourselves OP.

• MirathelMirathel Member UncommonPosts: 137

I dont understand why everyone is so upset...maybe its because most of you are too poor to buy your games and when u do finally gather enough pennies from sidewalks, beg for your allowance from mommy and daddy, or get money from the recycling you dig from trash cans i guess it could be disheartining to not be able to play said game 24/7 (seriously how spoiled are you?)

Me on the other hand have an abundance of money left over (even after the kids expenses and the wife taking half for shopping and what not) so i dont really care about it much. I really like playing the game and i am glad i bought it. The rest of you cry babies need to go cry somewhere else. Hell i am surprised you tore yourselves from your moms tit long enough to even post a reply here....

Kiddies will cry about something untill there is something new to cry about

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by Mirathel

I dont understand why everyone is so upset...maybe its because most of you are too poor to buy your games and when u do finally gather enough pennies from sidewalks, beg for your allowance from mommy and daddy, or get money from the recycling you dig from trash cans i guess it could be disheartining to not be able to play said game 24/7 (seriously how spoiled are you?)

Me on the other hand have an abundance of money left over (even after the kids expenses and the wife taking half for shopping and what not) so i dont really care about it much. I really like playing the game and i am glad i bought it. The rest of you cry babies need to go cry somewhere else. Hell i am surprised you tore yourselves from your moms tit long enough to even post a reply here....

Nothing condescending in your post at all.

I'm sure most of us love your chauvinistic comments and how you flail and attack the reader blindly.  Very impressive.

Originally posted by Laughing-man

I'm sure most of us love your chauvinistic comments and how you flail and attack the reader blindly.  Very impressive.

ty :) tore myself away from my casino city to post that. glad you like my flailing :P

ty :) tore myself away from my casino city to post that. glad you like my flailing :P

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Er, yes, we are on a forum, after all?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by coretex666

I am quite surprised you are going to the battle with the sort of ammunition you have, but I am for all kinds of fun.

I use ammunition based upon the animal. You're no rhino.

First off, you really call ME a drama queen? Have you even read your original post?

My particular bit of drama was designed to produce a certain response. Yours was a thinly veiled attack with absolutely no substance. Your 'biggest' point you were trying to convey used a word you made up. I wasn't attempted to be a drama queen, unlike you. Rather, I was making a point.  Which seems to ENTIRELY escape you.

Second, in what way does Minecraft derail my response? Could you be more specific here?

I purposely left that vague to drive a point into the someone that thinks their superior to another person. Obviously, you missed it.

Third, every profit organization's purpose is to "chase money" as you put it. Management of such company is selected based on its capability of generating profit. What you call "greed" is one of the basic principles of capitalism.

You're one of the people that sit in the pit screaming, "EA IS A GOOD COMPANY BECAUSE THEY HAVEN'T BURIED US ALIVE!" Of course, I think you'll fail to find the meaning behind this because of obvious reasons to even the average thinker.

The companies do not force anyone to buy their products. It is simply matter of supply and demand. They offer their product at certain price, whether or not will there be demand for the supplied product depends on the free will of the potential customers.

If you want to buy an NFL game because you're an NFL fan you only have one option.  Therefore, in a way, if you love football and want an official NFL game you're forced to buy from EA.

I'd go into a debate with you about supply and demand, free will and propaganda (today's marketing). But, I honestly don't think you could keep up.  Thus, it would be pointless.

Whether they innovate or not is their choice which does not influence you in any way. All you are confronted with as a potential customer is their product offered at certain price. You decide whether you pay the price or not.

Yes, but I want to continue to play the Skyrims. However, and this is something I recognized over a half decade ago, these big companies are marketing (propaganda) certain business models as the future, the best thing, and so forth. They utilize dishonest terms to describe this (f2p, value, etc) to herd sheep -a category you seem to fall into- and then when everyone finally accepts these things as the norm they'll push again. And, the cycle will continue until we have 'movies' that have a button that you push and you have to pay to push that button.  That'll be passed off as innovative and people -like you- will defend it as such because it's 'simply and demand'.

I would not go as far as saying that you are worthless or unintelligent, but the original post you made definitely fulfils the criteria to be classified as such. 

Saying something doesn't mean it's true. In fact, most people here agree with me.  I've had this debate peers in the gaming industry.  Those same peers are far more intelligent, provide a far more constructive response, and are far more credible than some forum warrior. Yes, I'm a professional in the gaming industry. Who are you, exactly?

Originally posted by Icewhite

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/forum

Not really because statism is anything but open :P

Bet the OP is mostly upset he can't pirate the game.

Most of us are to blame for one thing, and thats not buying fun games, its stealing them forcing game makers to invent DRM.

Lets stop pretending we didn't do this to ourselves OP.

I don't pirate games. And, I haven't pirated a song in over 13 years. Try again.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Blah blah blah, companies are greedy, blah blah blah...

What are companies supposed to do? These greedy company posts are getting friggen tiresome...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    Originally posted by Warley

STOP BUYING THEIR CRAP AND THEY'LL EITHER ADAPT AND MAKE BETTER GAMES OR A BETTER GAME DEVELOPER/PUBLISHER WILL REPLACE THEM.

Now, I won't be surprised if I get reported and then banned. It always happens. People get their feelings hurt when someone with a cold, hard reality check points out who is to blame for the way companies like EA acts.

So you believe that a refund is a good thing then? I do not see the problem. I brough a product, but disagreed with the service and decide I want my money back. I do not think what is going on right now is a good reason for a refund, unless it's still going on in a week or so.

I understand what you talking about however a refund make a bigger statement then a not buying a product at all. They will not notice a decrease in sales unless it's big, they will notice refunds even in a smaller portion. So I hope those that dislike what is going on get there refunds. 

Originally posted by Coman

STOP BUYING THEIR CRAP AND THEY'LL EITHER ADAPT AND MAKE BETTER GAMES OR A BETTER GAME DEVELOPER/PUBLISHER WILL REPLACE THEM.

Now, I won't be surprised if I get reported and then banned. It always happens. People get their feelings hurt when someone with a cold, hard reality check points out who is to blame for the way companies like EA acts.

So you believe that a refund is a good thing then? I do not see the problem. I brough a product, but disagreed with the service and decide I want my money back. I do not think what is going on right now is a good reason for a refund, unless it's still going on in a week or so.

I understand what you talking about however a refund make a bigger statement then a not buying a product at all. They will not notice a decrease in sales unless it's big, they will notice refunds even in a smaller portion. So I hope those that dislike what is going on get there refunds. 

I don't think you or anyone else should get a refund. If you blindly buy stuff you need to learn your lesson. Then, I may not have to be here posting stuff like this.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

All I can say is ea keeps screwing up over and over. It is almost asif they hate the folks who buy these games from them.  I  not bought a sim city game in years.  However from what all I read this was bad.   You cant trust ea. 

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618
    Originally posted by TheScavenger

/sigh

The Witcher and Witcher 2 have no DRM at all, and were two of the most pirated games in gaming history.

Spore, one of the games with the most heavy DRMs in existence is also one of the most hacked games on the internet.

We could do this all day i assure you.

If the witcher had DRM it would have created more piracy. You would have the camp that is gona pirate anyway AND angry gamers that wont support the practice.

Lets stop pretending DRM stops pirating, im sitting right next to a friend playing a pirated copy of Simcity 5 right now, 3 days after release.

Theres a reason why UBISOFT has stoped making their games DRM and EA hasnt. EA slams you with DLC in the face by being online and showing it to you at every oportunity it gets.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Icewhite

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/forum

Not really because statism is anything but open :P

Ah, trying to get people to put on their pedant shoes and go for a jog.

Back to work on this avatar then :swears at 80x80 pixelated:

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

I don't think you or anyone else should get a refund. If you blindly buy stuff you need to learn your lesson. Then, I may not have to be here posting stuff like this.

I am not asking for a refund. I actually think the game is a good game and fully believe the service will be oke within a few day. 

I did not blindly buy it either. I brought it after playing the beta-version and after the US release. So was fully aware there would be problems. 

You REALLY do not have to post stuff like that. 

Originally posted by austriacus

Lets stop pretending DRM stops pirating, im sitting right next to a friend playing a pirated copy of Simcity 5 right now, 3 days after release.

So can you....uhhh I mean your friend ;) play offline with that? It works? But people told me that it was not possible!!!! :O

Theres a reason why UBISOFT has stoped making their games DRM and EA hasnt. EA slams you with DLC in the face by being online and showing it to you at every oportunity it gets.

And, that right there is the entire reason behind why EA wants their games online. It's just not DLC, though. It's adding cash shops to singleplayer games that they're so infactuated with now.

You're essentially buying something that is half game/half advertisement.

I stopped buying EA games the moment I ran into that NPC in Dragon Age that told me I had to buy a DLC to play the content/quest he offered. I don't even remember what NPC it was, but that right that broke all immersion I had in the game.

I am not asking for a refund. I actually think the game is a good game and fully believe the service will be oke within a few day. 

I did not blindly buy it either. I brought it after playing the beta-version and after the US release. So was fully aware there would be problems. 

You REALLY do not have to post stuff like that. 

So can you....uhhh I mean your friend ;) play offline with that? It works? But people told me that it was not possible!!!! :O

he is lying. the majority of sim city's files are online on ea's servers and requires an account connect to access and use them. So untill they emulate it....simcity wont be available for piracy. EA 1 Pirates 0

This discussion has been closed.