Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Lord British- Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Richard "Lord British" Garriott is conducting a live presentation that he has been teasing for the past week. During the presentation, Garriott announced "Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues".

With Shroud of the Avatar, Richard and his team will again reinvent the classic fantasy role-playing experience. Using state-of-the-art tools and technology, the game will focus on what made his seminal Ultima Series great. Once players are introduced to the game, they will discover their own story woven into the immersive world and lore surrounding them. Players may choose to follow the life of the adventurer or, if they prefer, focus on exploration and discovery. Players may even choose the life of a homesteader; either nestled within the safety of the settled lands, or on the dangerous but potentially lucrative frontier. The world is full of opportunities and challenges!

Check out the Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues KickStarter page.

Check out the Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Live Stream.

“Shroud of the Avatar will include what I think are the keys to an ultimate role-playing experience,” says Garriott. “These important tenets include things like a fully interactive virtual world, deep original fiction with ethical parables such that players’ choices are relevant, cultural histories and fully developed alternative languages and text. Also we want our players to have physical game components like cloth maps, fictional manuals and trinkets. These are all things that people came to expect in my earlier works and we plan on bringing them all back to create Shroud of the Avatar.”

Players in Shroud of the Avatar will be introduced to the game, but then discover their own story. There is an overarching story woven into the player experience, and players may choose to follow the life of an adventurer or, if they prefer, focus on exploration and discovery. Players may even choose the life of a homesteader, either safely within the settled lands or on the dangerous but potentially lucrative frontier.

From familiar psychological profiling used to create your character to organically derived game response to player behavior, fundamental virtues and consequence of actions play a huge role in Shroud of the Avatar. Players will be free to choose their path, but must then live with the consequences of their actions.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SwiftrevoirSwiftrevoir Member UncommonPosts: 158
    I'm watching it! ^^
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    well, I"m certainly intrigued.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

Another well known video game developer going down the kickstarter route, what is the reason for the kickstarter funding?

People are already throwing money at it without even reading the page, which is nice in one way and a bit disturbing in another

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    hes got my interest :)
  • YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Originally posted by SlickShoes

Another well known video game developer going down the kickstarter route, what is the reason for the kickstarter funding?

In short? 

Market interest measurement, research of customer needs and free community-based advertisment. 

Seeing the nuances of the game development and possibly participating in it in some way is VERY attractive for custommers, as Wasteland II kickstarter has shown. 

Not to mention that as kickstarter finishes, the kickstarter results and stats can be then used to possibly attract "bigger fish" to invest into the product, showcasing the already existing custommer base and market interest. 

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

People are already throwing money at it without even reading the page, which is nice in one way and a bit disturbing in another

Read the page, watched the video, then threw money at it :P 

Haven't read anything I haven't liked so far. 

Player Housing

Classless Character System

Fully interactive virtual world - If it looks usable, it should do something

Multiplayer Online Game - which can also be played solo player / offline

Something that looks Akin to Dynamic Events

PvP

The ability to be nothing but a crafter

A game thats about living a story rather than grinding levels

Pretty much everything I've been looking for in an Fantasy MMO.  

I also have a bit of faith in Garriott and it sounds as if he has a good team. I also don't see EA ever releasing a UO2 and if they did I'm not confident in them to do it well and I have no interest in buying another EA game anyways. 

Most importantly.... 

(Richard Garriott) Shroud of the Avatar > (EA) Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

First rule in business... "never spend your own money"

Looks interesting though, seems like he's carrying on from UO but on a smaller scale.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• SwiftrevoirSwiftrevoir Member UncommonPosts: 158

Its a sign!!!  I just got a job offer over the phone as a result of my steller interviewing skills!  Woooooo!  I'm no longer jobless and potentially homeless! 

While Lord British is not "ultima"tely responsible I feel his RPG magnificence was definitely a boon.  Huzzah!  I'll be able to afford to play things other than F2P titles now. 

First I want to thank God, his crazy followers, all my gaming experience, science, atheists, nerds, geeks, and hipsters.  I especially want to thank my nature as not a single fuck will be given this day!

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    Im curious to the online/offline play and how that is going to mesh
  • austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618
    Ok sandbox lovers, all of you who started with UO. Time to put your money where your mouth is and support the guy who got you in the genre, cause i sure as hell wont.
  • XarnthalXarnthal Member Posts: 130
    I HIT THE PLAY BUTTON WHY DIDNT IT WORK @ 1:32

Sennheiser
    Assist
    Thage

• CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368

Meh...

Want to interest me Mr. Garriot?

Stop talking. Create a working, stable and innovative game. Dont change it half way through development. Finish what you start. Release a fun and complete game. Dont let your company take over and kick you out (again). And finally DONT waste a bunch of money on some grandious adventure for yourself.

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

• The overland map thing turns me off. I was hoping it'd be a completely immersive seamless experience like the Ultima VIIs. A shame we can't do with technology today what we could in 1992.
  • Excalaber2Excalaber2 Member UncommonPosts: 360
    Originally posted by Axxar
    The overland map thing turns me off. I was hoping it'd be a completely immersive seamless experience like the Ultima VIIs. A shame we can't do with technology today what we could in 1992.

QFT

Disclaimer: This is not a troll post and is not here to promote any negative energy. Although this may be a criticism, it is not meant to offend anyone. If a moderator feels the post is inappropriate, please remove it immediately before it is subject to consideration for a warning. Thank you.

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    Sounds interesting...
  • kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

Kickstarter is just about only way to get funding unless your game is a direct clone of a more succesful brand. Real investors are quite unimaginative when it comes with game funding.

• TalgenTalgen Member UncommonPosts: 400
    I'm down, yo.
  • ZouharianZouharian Member UncommonPosts: 16

Richard Garriott can have a few of my $ any day - I have been selling quite a few old Ultima games on eBay lately, seems appropriate that I use some of the funds to back this.

I actually think Kickstarter is a great way of funding games. It seems to work too. Torment: Tides of Numenera raised their $900k in 6 hours.

Seems to be a good deal of interest already lol! Hasn't even been up a day yet and it's already approaching the 200k mark. 
  • jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

This looks like its being made with mobile devices in mind, as if it was made in 2003 with those graphics.

I will not back even Garriott with a project that is taking 2-3 steps backwards to support the death of PC gaming in favor of mobile gaming. Damn shame...would have jumped at a new Ultima with monitrary support.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Might buy it at release. Not interested in pre-funding its development.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• SunworshiperSunworshiper Member UncommonPosts: 19
    I am excited for this! I have pledged. I have been a huge Ultima fan for a million years!
  • SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018
    Interesting enough to keep tabs on
    Originally posted by jtcgs

This looks like its being made with mobile devices in mind, as if it was made in 2003 with those graphics.

I will not back even Garriott with a project that is taking 2-3 steps backwards to support the death of PC gaming in favor of mobile gaming. Damn shame...would have jumped at a new Ultima with monitrary support.

While the graphics do look like a step back, the world interaction and mechanics are a step forward. As always I'm more in favor of gameplay over graphics. In any case for the game to be in such an early stage of development and look like this is good imho. To each their own though. 

I personally still go back to UO occasionally though which has graphics from the 90's lol. 

• ZouharianZouharian Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Incidentally - the $5k extra for an original copy of Akalabeth is probably worth it. First time for a long time anyone has put a price on that. Unfortunately you have to buy the full $10k package to get it.