Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll - which type of player

TuktzTuktz Member Posts: 299

I know this might be oversimplifying, but I'm kind of curious if you had to pick one category of these two, which you would put yourself in?

Not sure what that tells me, other than the composition of upcoming players from this forum. Doesn't necessearily equate to the grander population of TESO at large later either.

MMO history - EVE GW2 SWTOR RIFT WAR COH/V EQ2 WOW DAOC
Tuktz - http://www.heretic.shivtr.com/

Comments

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Mmorpg player, I've never played an Elder Scrolls game.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439

I'm going to try this game because I love the Elder Scrolls games that I have played, but I haven't played all of them (or even most of them).

However, I really dislike the direction fantasy MMO games are heading with action combat, real aiming, and other twitch gaming mechanics. When I'm in the mood for twitch gaming, I'll load up Arkham City or Sleeping Dogs on the XBox.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    MMO player here. I didnt play enough Morrowind and Oblivion to say how good they were. But i love Skyrim and im waiting to see how similar to Skyrim TESO will be feature-wise. It its closer to Skyrim than to a generic mmo then im in. If its closer to any other mmo rather than Skyrim then im out. I can play any other mmo if i want generic stuff. I cant wait for this game to come out but i hope they make it as TES as posible and as far from generic mmo as possible.

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    MMO player. I was attracted to ESO for the RvR system.
  • TuktzTuktz Member Posts: 299
    Originally posted by OgreRaper

Ditto

MMO history - EVE GW2 SWTOR RIFT WAR COH/V EQ2 WOW DAOC
    Tuktz - http://www.heretic.shivtr.com/

• ghorgosghorgos Member UncommonPosts: 191

I would say none of the two options.

I played most games of the Elder Scrolls series and became a fan of some of the aspects and game mechanics(especially the exploration, freedom of choices, different houses/guilds, mod support) but didn't loved everything about the games(things like the combat and skillsystem were too trivial and too much action based, no real freedom for things like housing unless modded, oblivions rifts were a pain). 

I'm an mmo player as well. Playing mmo's for something like 10 years now.

The result of both is that i think the ES ip is a great base for a quality mmo but only things like lore, the world and some game ideas(like the guilds) not the ES games in general.  Hard to explain it with just a few words but i was more thinking of something like Vanguard combined witth the ES ip.

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636

Woul dhave had more precise numbers if you had said just TES player who wants to see what they do with it, and MMO player who wants to see what they do with it.

There are plenty of TES players who AREN'T excited about this MMO.

They can't really tick anything.

• Abuz0rAbuz0r Member UncommonPosts: 550

Elder scrolls games have always been so fun.  The thing you can't find in an MMO is being able to interact with every little polygon in the game.  If it's there, you can probably grab / move it.  If something's on a shelf, you can take it, but hope the owner isn't watching or you may have a battle on your hands.

The freedom of the world is so amazing.  I don't think it's going to translate properly into a MMO because it would be a world full of already-murdered npcs and barren shelves, and already cleaned out ruins.

Somehow, as developers are smarter at developing than me, they will find a way to get it right, I have a lot of confidence that it's going to be fun.  I've not been disappointed by an elder scrolls game before.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by OgreRaper

Same.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Caliburn101

Woul dhave had more precise numbers if you had said just TES player who wants to see what they do with it, and MMO player who wants to see what they do with it.

Wouldn't it just be easier to just remove the editorializing from both resonses?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• Abuz0rAbuz0r Member UncommonPosts: 550
    Originally posted by Icewhite

Wouldn't it just be easier to just remove the editorializing from both resonses?

Thanks, it really does stink to get boxed in and have words put in your mouth. (AKA choose the closest option) lol.

• wandericawanderica Member UncommonPosts: 370

Agreed.  Neither of those choices apply to me personally.  I just can't get excited about this MMO until I see it, and I remain very skeptical.  I've never been one to rave about sandboxes and complain about every themepark as I believe both styles have merit and some great titles out there, BUT . . . people didn't play a gazillion plus hours in Skyrim because they liked the story.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Abuz0r

Thanks, it really does stink to get boxed in and have words put in your mouth. (AKA choose the closest option) lol.

To me, "I've played mmos" is rather a given, just from the title of the website ^ we're on.

But "did you play the original elder scrolls games" is a yes/no, doesn't really require a poll at all?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316

I am an Elder Scrolls fan that is excited about playing the game as an MMO.

I've also played MMO's before.

Of the three games in the ES series I've played (Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim), Morrowind is my favorite.

• wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464
    Sounds like we got the perfect storm here as far as potential player base. I pray to Talos that they deliver.
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    --

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Wont vote, I dont fit in the options given. My fav RPG of all time is TES. May fav MMO of all time is DAoC. So I am here because of both and cant pick just one. 
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402

I really doubt that TES players who aren't "excited" about a MMO hang around a website called MMORPG...

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

Started with bugville Daggerfall, despite the bugs I really loved that game, also loved Morrowind, Oblivion was ok and Skyrim was really good.

So yeah I'm a Elder Scroll fan.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• SiderasSideras Member Posts: 231

The Elder Scrolls is still The Elder Scrolls, nothing is being turned into anything. It's a spin off on The Elder Scrolls series called Elder Scrolls Online, mixing parts of the Elder Scrolls series aswell as it's lore with an MMO focused on exploration and Realm vs Realm. And I'm excited to see how it all works out.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Originally posted by azarhal

I really doubt that TES players who aren't "excited" about a MMO hang around a website called MMORPG...

Ya you can never take any poll without a grain of salt. Often the poll is bias to the one who made the poll. Or people who have access to it dont reflect the audience as a whole. Still fun on some levels =-)

• aylwynnaylwynn Member Posts: 94

I don't like this pool at all since I've been investing many hours into TES singleplayers and MMORPGs. 

Still waiting till some people count themselves to the TESO-crowd instead of seperating between MMORPG- or TES-crowd.

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882

"An Elder Scrolls fan for years that is excited to see how your favorite IP is turned into an MMO"

I am excited to try this game out but not gonna lie i would rather see Morrowind Onlineimage haha.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• VindicarVindicar Member UncommonPosts: 138
    The type that doesn't like being put in a box.

Old school french hardcore whiner. Online since T4C.

I was "Namless" and "Daroot" in AO (Rk2)
    Been known as "Vindicar" (Aion (EU), SWTOR (EU), WoW (EU).
    Recently  Known as "Wundicar" and "Wundee" in Age of Wushu (US) and Wulin (EU)

Franky Rivera Reyes , From the Reyes Brotherhood (Star Citizen)

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by Tuktz

I know this might be oversimplifying, but I'm kind of curious if you had to pick one category of these two, which you would put yourself in?

Not sure what that tells me, other than the composition of upcoming players from this forum. Doesn't necessearily equate to the grander population of TESO at large later either.

While I dabbled with Morrorwind for a little while, I am not really a ESO player.  I respect that they have incredible depth and freedom, coupled with a highly immersive world.  At heart, though, I am an MMO player, so the single player aspect of the ESO games left me missing the scrolling chat and multiplayer connection.  Now that they are turning the ESO world into a MMO experience with strong DAoC tones, hey, I'm interested.  Very interested.