Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Obviously kickstarter will be funded..CU has gone Viral

shadeviceshadevice Member CommonPosts: 68

Everyone's talking about it who cares anything about MMORPG PVP all over teh intrawebs...

Just go ahead and launch the kickstarter already and lets get the show on the road.

Comments

• XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 516
    I think they might want to wait some time, many gamers just funded Torment and may not be as likely to fund another game right away.

Executive Editor (Games) http://www.wccftech.com

• ShermiarShermiar Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by shadevice

Everyone's talking about it who cares anything about MMORPG PVP all over teh intrawebs...

Just go ahead and launch the kickstarter already and lets get the show on the road.

+1

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

Is there a running prototype gameplay video?

I never saw a successful Kickstarter campaign without a gameplay video, tbh

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    Project Eternity had no gameplay vid and it got over 3mil. :)
  • winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by FromHell

There is no game to make videos of they are just now in the theory crafting and Idea stage.

This game will not only be funded. It will meet some serious stretch goals. Believe!
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Yeah pretty sure this will get funded with no issues at all..

I want them to start the kickstarer off now so i can throw my money at them haha..

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by PerfArt
    This game will not only be funded. It will meet some serious stretch goals. Believe!

The more stretch goals they make the longer developemnt will take. Don't be expecting beta in 2014.

• HagnarHagnar Member UncommonPosts: 39
    Originally posted by FromHell

Really? What about..... Doublefine Adventure? Wasteland 2 ? Shadowrun? Project Eternity? And the most recent Torment Tides of Numenera? All successufl projects without a gameplay video... So, not really.

Born as a berserker, I was also a hero, a bounty hunter, a paladin ,a troubador and a paladin once again during my Mmo''s experiences .. Now travelling in a galaxy looking for a new adventure

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Is it obvious that 40,000 people (basically the entire targetted player base) will donate an average of $50 or 20,000 will donate an average of $100 or 10,000 will donate an average of $200? I wish it were that obvious because I would really like to see the game get made, but I suspect things are much more up in the air than you believe.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• shadeviceshadevice Member CommonPosts: 68
    Originally posted by meddyck
    Is it obvious that 40,000 people (basically the entire targetted player base) will donate an average of $50 or 20,000 will donate an average of $100 or 10,000 will donate an average of $200? I wish it were that obvious because I would really like to see the game get made, but I suspect things are much more up in the air than you believe.

40k might be their "targeted" player base but lets apply some facts.

While it isn't DAOC 2.0 and lacks PVE...DAOCs success and the 200k+ who played it or still do are going to play this, maybe they won't like it, but they will try it out. Simply for the nostalgia factor or their hope of capturing that same passion they had before. 

Then there is the new generation, the people tired of wow and all the other theme parks that have followed it. Add those new curious people into the mix.

CU may end up being "niche" 6 months after release because many of the care bears and easy mode players can't hang, but at release it will have a population in the hundreds of thousands easily. 

This isn't a Darkfall, or Mortal online release, its Camelot, it has a reputation already established etc...

Think about it. Think. 

• HeartsparkHeartspark Member Posts: 69

While it isn't DAOC 2.0 and lacks PVE...DAOCs success and the 200k+ who played it or still do are going to play this, maybe they won't like it, but they will try it out. Simply for the nostalgia factor or their hope of capturing that same passion they had before. 

Then there is the new generation, the people tired of wow and all the other theme parks that have followed it. Add those new curious people into the mix.

CU may end up being "niche" 6 months after release because many of the care bears and easy mode players can't hang, but at release it will have a population in the hundreds of thousands easily. 

This isn't a Darkfall, or Mortal online release, its Camelot, it has a reputation already established etc...

Think about it. Think. 

I very much doubt daoc has 200k people still playing it.  I would be surprised if it made it to 50k

Heartspark: Animist rr12, bors, Lone Enforcer, Retired

Dranzerk: Berzerker (kay) retired
    Dhei: Spiritmaster (Kay) retired
    Goblinking : Hunter (Kay) retired
    Moongoose: Shadowblade (Kay) retired

Originally posted by Heartspark

Think about it. Think. 

I very much doubt daoc has 200k people still playing it.  I would be surprised if it made it to 50k

"and the 200k+ who / played / it "or still do" which refers to current daoc players, not that 200k still play it.

I'm not overly long winded with my thoughts while typing on the internet but yeah I understand it can cause that kind of confusion. But when common knowledge and sense is applied, often it over comes the need to be so specific :D 

• KappenWizKappenWiz Member UncommonPosts: 162

DAoC's 250,000 peak subscriber list was never a hard and known fact, but assuming it was correct:

• That was the peak subscriber number, not necessarily the number of players. They're way off that now, probably in the 10's of thousands, maybe teens.
    • A lot of people had multiple accounts, probably half had 2 for buffbot accounts. Many had 3 or 4 for family members. One guy on another board just this week said he had 13 accounts at one time and sold all but 2.
    • I could be wrong, but how this KS starts should be very important. If they launch slowly and there's a huge gap between what they have and 2 million, it'll probably dissuade people on the fence from donating, thinking they're not gonna make it anyway.
    • You just never know. Until people actually pony up the cash, it's all talk on message boards right now.

For all these reasons, the KS launch has to be strong on Day 1, or it's going to be an uphill battle. It's a good move getting the word out before opening the KS. DAoC had quite a few older players and even the younger ones are a decade older now. They might not be people who check out game forums, etc., so this could be completely off their radar.
  • meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Think about it. Think. 

You would be right if we were talking about how many people will buy the game at release, but we're not. We're talking about donating to kickstarter which is something most people including me haven't done before. The number of people who are going to give CSE money in March 2013 for a game that has no screenshots or videos, doesn't even have an announced game engine, doesn't have announced classes and races nor really any details outside of the general statements in the FP and Mark's forum posts, and won't be released for roughly 2 years is going to be much smaller than the number who will pre-order the game a few months before it is released when all that information will be available not to mention previews on sites like this, beta tester reports, and public beta events. So the question is will that smaller number be enough to fund the kickstarter? Let's hope so.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• HokibukisaHokibukisa Member Posts: 185

I would like to join the voice of reason camp, solidify much more stuff, flesh out these 10 vague ideas into presentable examples.

Give examples, imaginative detailed examples with beautiful concept art giving sight to vision.

Tell stories from the perspective of players who log in to play the game. What they experience when they first log in, walk us through those experiences over time, how they are affected by the 10 principles. Exciting tales of RvR and other things in the game.

Until you can narrate a story that gets you (the narrator) excited, then I think its way to early to ask the potential players if the game idea sounds exciting enough to fund.

Right now we have 10 blog posts. I don't mean to be negative nancy, but that would be pathetic amount of info to go looking for investment with. Thats like saying I want to make a shirt, its going to be purple, invest monies plz.

• StrommStromm Member Posts: 243

I agree, let's do this experiment! Let's see how influential the PVP fanbase is.

My bet is that not only will it not make $2M, it will not make $1M. No PvE at all is a death sentence for any MMO and a pipe dream for a developer keen on reducing his development overheads.

MMO PvP was, is and always will be a trivial side diversion for most MMO players, in my experience.

It will be interesting to see the result either way.

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865
    I wonder how far it actually would go.. not to sure about it.
    Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by KappenWiz

DAoC's 250,000 peak subscriber list was never a hard and known fact

cant speak for 250k

but DAOC having 200,000 active subs back in the day -- was a fact announced by Mythic in PR statements

http://www.gamershell.com/news_4783.html

that said,

the former DAOC had a fun PVE game too

I agree with others that pure PVP will draw a smaller crowd

Think about it. Think. 

You would be right if we were talking about how many people will buy the game at release, but we're not. We're talking about donating to kickstarter which is something most people including me haven't done before. The number of people who are going to give CSE money in March 2013 for a game that has no screenshots or videos, doesn't even have an announced game engine, doesn't have announced classes and races nor really any details outside of the general statements in the FP and Mark's forum posts, and won't be released for roughly 2 years is going to be much smaller than the number who will pre-order the game a few months before it is released when all that information will be available not to mention previews on sites like this, beta tester reports, and public beta events. So the question is will that smaller number be enough to fund the kickstarter? Let's hope so.

Well said retort. You're right, my response appears more geared toward final release than a vague kickstarter pledge. I merely feel there is a large gaping hole in the MMORPG world right now that CU can fill. Word has spread like wild fire and with Camelots, past and present established reputation , my opinion is that not only is the kickstarters success imminent but will exceed expectations. 

• HokibukisaHokibukisa Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by timeraider
    I wonder how far it actually would go.. not too sure about it.

I highly doubt the KS would raise $2mil right now. Its got a tiny cult following. I say cult because those of us following it all excited like are a little bit insane for giving 10 blog posts this much thought and willing to throw money at it.

Originally posted by Hokibukisa

I highly doubt the KS would raise $2mil right now. Its got a tiny cult following. I say cult because those of us following it all excited like are a little bit insane for giving 10 blog posts this much thought and willing to throw money at it.

It's not just about the 10 blog posts . You're thinking on a single track.

It's about DAOCs rep. Its about the tiresome theme park treadmill that CU can derail. I can go on and on, no sir. It's not just about 10 blog posts. 

Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Hokibukisa

It's not just about the 10 blog posts . You're thinking on a single track.

It's about DAOCs rep. Its about the tiresome theme park treadmill that CU can derail. I can go on and on, no sir. It's not just about 10 blog posts. 

DAOCs rep is also TESO, don't forget that. Lots of daoc vets are looking forward to TESO as it is actually a real game, and has ex mythic devs too.

If it were not for teso, cu would have a lot more feasibility, kind of hard to fund a next daoc idea when TESO is around the corner with a much larger following.

TESO does look good BUT from my many hours of  thorough research it appears to have many of the same flaws of current MMORPGs. It will be successful at launch because of the Elder Scrolls single player RPG's popularity. But look at SWTOR...even a starwars mmo quickly plummeted because it was more of the same WoW style wake of theme park game play. 

Well if members on this site alone are being honest about their projected pledges, that' over $4000 already. I think CSE can manage to do that 500 times.
  • OdamanOdaman Member UncommonPosts: 195

Pretty sure backers will be in alpha so no need to wait for beta ;)

I hope you're right. Some people I know are wary of MJ and don't think it'll be worth playing much less funding. Others (inluding myself) are excited to see what comes out of it... and if it doesnt end up being great then so be it. At least someone tried to give us something we've wanted for a long time.