Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3: Travis Day Speaks On Itemization

2»

Comments

• DrigusDrigus Member CommonPosts: 50
    I'd go back if they created a new ladder. It would be kinda cool with a total wipe. 
  • RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

D3 was a good game (not great) at release, and I'm glad to see that they're continuing to take it in the right direction. It's pretty much my go-to ARPG at this point. PoE's combat is just too clunky & unbalanced in favor of ranged classes to enjoy, and Torchlight 2 was just one giant copypasta of Torchlight 1.

To people who won't be buying HotS, it's your loss. For those who don't have incredibly unrealistic expectations, they still make good / great games.

• nycplayboy78nycplayboy78 Member UncommonPosts: 212
    Originally posted by vgamer
    Originally posted by SBFord
    Originally posted by fivoroth

Some of these potential changes sound interesting. Some of the things I really like:

- Crafting being able to modify existing items

- Legendary items being more powerful and finding ilvl 63 versions of all uniques and sets sound cool

- Fewer number of rare items but more powerful

- Identify all button!

I completely agree! :)

On a personal side note: As for those refusing to buy Heart of the Swarm, that's just 'cutting off your nose to spite your face' and rather childish. To miss out on a potentially great game because knickers got twisted over another game's fetaures is just...goofy. :P

Risking a ban here...

I think people who won't buy HotS because of the marvelous masterpiece called diablo 3 would actually be a mature thing to do. Why would you support companies that spit in the face of long time fans for a quick cash grab? Why would you go for a short term temptation only to get your hopes crushed when HotS fails to live up to the expectation? I mean, you guys get your games for free so you can review them.

We however have to pay hardearned dollars. So is it that childish to demand value for money and boycot if it turns out to be a cashgrab

AMEN!!!! I agree 150% I WON'T spend my hard earned money giving it to a game company that cash grabbed one of my most favorite games ever!!! Sorry its my money and I will with it what I want to......That's Life!!!!!

• JCBNJCBN Member UncommonPosts: 47

As the biggest D3 fanboy (once) in the world... i am saddened by the fact they STILL dont get it.

"We've also discussed allowing bosses the first time you kill them in each difficulty to have a guaranteed chance to drop a Legendary."

Really.... wow... nice... NOT.

Bring back the droprate from Diablo 1 & Diablo 2. And remove the Auction House.

I still prefer playing Diablo 1, to Diablo 3. Heck i can do Lazza runs and get some Uniques... which is the fun stuff in Diablo games. I dont enjoy farming for many hours, and not finding any uniques. Sorry.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

Some of these potential changes sound interesting. Some of the things I really like:

- Legendary items being more powerful and finding ilvl 63 versions of all uniques and sets sound cool

- Identify all button!

On a personal side note: As for those refusing to buy Heart of the Swarm, that's just 'cutting off your nose to spite your face' and rather childish. To miss out on a potentially great game because knickers got twisted over another game's fetaures is just...goofy. :P

No its not.  Thats like saying that not enjoying a good vacation with your husband who beat you 3 times last week is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Actions speak loud and clear.  I havent bought a blizzard product since D3, and i was extremely reticent even to do that, but i listened to people making statements like yours and yet again i was fooled.

They will never see another dime of my money, period.  I don't care if they make the world ending best MMO of all time that ticks of literally EVERY SINGLE one of the features i want in a game.  They've lost my business.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• ikarrianikarrian Member Posts: 122

- Identify all button!

Why childish?

If i buy a car from certain brand, If the car has major flaws. I would have hard time buying a car from that brand again.

And i feel the same way about HotS.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by Purutzil

The damage is already done. Changes really aren't likely to be enough to warrent a real spike in 'enjoyment' for the game. The only 'fix' really would be to take away the AH or make it far less viable and practically redo the entire item system... which won't happen since it would screw up the few players actually playing still.

lol the "few" players...sure...

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

Blizzard did realize this from the start. But Jay Wilson had his own ideals and wouidn't let go of the mother goose "RMAH Diablo 3".

Now that Jay's out of the way the team can actually make a good game o/

Not to mention Diablo 3 is a lot better action game than PoE will ever be.
    PoE has a lot of depth in build tinkering/item hunting but the action is poor compared to D3.

Different type of games for different players, I prefer the A in ARPGs.
  • HcRpgerHcRpger Member Posts: 31

GoldernArrow, probably true.

RMAH was an experiment. Result = Epic Fail. At least from players point-of-view.

Diablo series worked brilliantly before, why change that?

Originally posted by HcRpger

GoldernArrow, probably true.

RMAH was an experiment. Result = Epic Fail. At least from players point-of-view.

Diablo series worked brilliantly before, why change that?

People seem to forget how drastically different a game D2 was compared to Diablo 1. Developers are always going to try new and different things. Will it always work for everyone? No, absolutely not.

Fendel, of course. Games change, but what they did with D3, let's say, compared to D2, was to strip everything that made it such an awesome game and forget what it was supposed to be in the first place. FUN.

Fun, that came from for example, finding awesome gear. Trying out different skills and committing to your choices. That was fun.

D3 was ok to a certain degree, but the things that made D2 good weren't in D3.

Fendel, of course. Games change, but what they did with D3, let's say, compared to D2, was to strip everything that made it such an awesome game and forget what it was supposed to be in the first place. FUN.

Fun, that came from for example, finding awesome gear. Trying out different skills and committing to your choices. That was fun.

D3 was ok to a certain degree, but the things that made D2 good weren't in D3.

I enjoyed the skills in D3 I do agree the AH kinda ruined the replay value though. I didn't find it exciting to find new gear because it was just too easy to buy it in the AH and i'm not even talking RMAH.

Love the skill system though, was great trying out all the different runes and seeing the dramatic effects it had on how your skills functioned. Some commitment to choice would have been ok, but ultimately didn't really take away any fun. But having to reroll becaue I made a stupid choice was never really fun for me anyways lol.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Originally posted by expresso
    Originally posted by Purutzil

The damage is already done. Changes really aren't likely to be enough to warrent a real spike in 'enjoyment' for the game. The only 'fix' really would be to take away the AH or make it far less viable and practically redo the entire item system... which won't happen since it would screw up the few players actually playing still.

I have never understood this whole "you have to use the RMH/AH to progress" - all the items on the RMAH/AH are found and put on there by players so if these players can do it with out all this AH gear why cant everyone else? no one wants to face a challenge it seems and just wants to buy their way through the content... yet complain because they cannot be bothered to farm the items, ARPG are all about the farming buying the top end gear gets you what? 

D3 has this gear treadmill quality to it that pressures some to the Blizz D3 AH. In a way it is the player base cash shop. Myself I just play without it, but if you get really obsessed with having an item on a character then the temptation is there for players.

• MueslinatorMueslinator Member Posts: 78

[...]

I would tend to disagree.

Blizzard built up a reputation of making great games with their old titles. But their newer ones missed that mark, some by quite a large margin.

The old adage of "It's Blizzard, it's good" simply holds no longer true. WotLK (to a lesser extent), Cataclysm, SC 2, Diablo 3 - they all fall short of that former excellency.

Secondly, there is the whole concept of the "informed customer" - you know, people who realize that it is not always as easy as just buying what appeals to you at the moment. That as a customer you have the power to cast your vote in which direction the industry moves. Sure, one customer doesn't mean much, but the more buyers cast their vote, the more the industry moves.

I deeply regret buying D3 (tried to refund it, but here in the EU you only have 72 hours to do that, and I couldn't log in for ~70 of those hours). And even these proposed changes (yeah, that 'let the Butcher's Cleaver drop from the Butcher' is so 1996!) won't do much to make me want to play. They dropped the ball on this one and still apparently have no clue why they dropped it, or how to pick it up again.

That is not a design studio, even considering that HotS will be done by a lot of people not involved in D3, that I want to give my money any longer.  The over-all philosophy in Blizzard games is not one I want to financially support.

That's not cutting off my own nose to spite my face, that's taking the sweetroll from the kid breaking my china.

Mueslinator, I agree.

Old Blizzard games used to be awesome. D2 is still one of the games from my "youth" alongside with Fallout 2 that I used to play a lot. Not forgetting great ones like Lost Vikings, and obviously Warcraft series, not WoW mind.

I went back to D2 dozens of times during the years as well, clocking probably weeks and weeks of playing time in hours.

First SC was a bit the same, obviously not to that extent, but I played it a lot, and it was great.

Now, what has happened to both of these... Well, SC2 did it first obviously, being one of the biggest disappointments of my gaming life. Unfortunately D3 did it even "better". Waited D3 for years and receiving a mediocre game after all that, well that definitely was and is the biggest disappoint of all time.

I got some hours out of D3, but SC2, oh my, played through the campaign once and could not force myself to play anymore, well apart from maybe 3 skirmishes, but that would have been, what, 1 hour?

No way I'm buying anything from them again. Well, maybe if I can get it for fiver... :D

• FARGIN_WARFARGIN_WAR Member Posts: 166

- Identify all button!

Sorry but I whole heartedly disagree. You've stated you quite enjoy D3 so for you the idea of giving Blizzard more money isn't an issue. However there are quite a few of us out there that feel Blizzard did a rather poor job with D3 mainly due to them putting their own profits first rather than making a great game first, like they used to do.

So as a long term Blizzard fan the state of D3 at launch badly damaged my customer confidence in that company. Which means I'm done throwing them my money for anything as long as it looks like they have the potential to keep releasing products substandard to what they could be making. And if not buying their games is the only way to get their attention, or at the very least remove my anxiety that I'm continuing to support a company that takes my fandom and money for granted, then that's what I'm going to do. Its my money and my choice. If that for some reason bothers you, then frankly you need to get over it as it isn't your decision to make.

If you don’t do stupid things while you’re young, you’ll have nothing to smile about when you’re old.

• miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835
    So it only just now occurred to them that items such as the "The Butcher's Cleaver" should have a higher drop rate off the boss it was named after?  SERIOUSLY?  I just don't understand how this team is/was composed of "vets" in the industry with statements/issues like these.
  • expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    Originally posted by miguksaram
    So it only just now occurred to them that items such as the "The Butcher's Cleaver" should have a higher drop rate off the boss it was named after?  SERIOUSLY?  I just don't understand how this team is/was composed of "vets" in the industry with statements/issues like these.

That was a design decision blizz made early on, they didin't want boss farming to be the end game as it was in D2, they wanted players doing full runs rather than skipping the bosses and repeating, so not outting specific loot on specific boss is how they did it.  I think it was a nice idea but "players" dont work that way they want it all now.

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

"There are a number of ideas for how to address this long term that don't include removing the auction house outright"

At least they acknowledge the AH is a cause of the problem.

That was a design decision blizz made early on, they didin't want boss farming to be the end game as it was in D2, they wanted players doing full runs rather than skipping the bosses and repeating, so not outting specific loot on specific boss is how they did it.  I think it was a nice idea but "players" dont work that way they want it all now.

So having RMAH and AH in the game were supposed to be something other than the "I want it now, because I can't be f**ked* to get it myself" mentality then?

Your comment, sir, is totally flawed, when the game is based entirely around this mentality.

Boss runs, were not only fun, but also you weren't guaranteed of anything. Yes, drops were frequent, but if you were after the one super item, no chance of seeing it anytime soon.

• miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835

So having RMAH and AH in the game were supposed to be something other than the "I want it now, because I can't be f**ked* to get it myself" mentality then?

Your comment, sir, is totally flawed, when the game is based entirely around this mentality.

Boss runs, were not only fun, but also you weren't guaranteed of anything. Yes, drops were frequent, but if you were after the one super item, no chance of seeing it anytime soon.

Thank you.  Sure you can argue that going for a certain boss meant skipping everything else to get "that item" over all others but then again unless I am mistaken (and I know I'm not in the first iteration of the concept in D3) a "name your boss item" all came with varied stats so it's not like you couldn't/wouldn't keep farming for the best possible version.  Sorry I see your logic and still shake my head back because Blizzard/Activision made the WRONG decision on how to implement a system that was not only loved but wanted after in first place.