Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Coulnd't just the "MegaServer" solve the problem??

Here we go again! Another big mmo is coming up and the war between the Open World PvP:ers and the Carebears is on again.

Let's not go into the arguments to much. Eventhough I want to be able to go over to the other factions areas and fight, I do think that the people who like these restrictions got some good points aswell. I guess we're just a little different when it comes to games, simple is that.

Anyway, I've heard a little about this thing they're going with the game.... "MegaServer".  I've heard something like that you will not be separated from your friends since there is now one MegaServer and not a cluster of way to many. Still, you will be able to, once you logging into the game, to fill in some things. Like, if you want to raid much Check!  Or if you don't, Uncheck!. You want to play with older or younger folks?, you want to bla bla this or that....  Basically, you'll fill in some sort of form just before you start playing and the MegaServer will team you up with likeminded, aswell as your guildies ofc.

Why can't there be such a feature for the exploring and world pvp issue aswell??

Comments

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Miklosan

Here we go again! Another big mmo is coming up and the war between the Open World PvP:ers and the Carebears is on again.

Let's not go into the arguments to much. Eventhough I want to be able to go over to the other factions areas and fight, I do think that the people who like these restrictions got some good points aswell. I guess we're just a little different when it comes to games, simple is that.

Anyway, I've heard a little about this thing they're going with the game.... "MegaServer".  I've heard something like that you will not be separated from your friends since there is now one MegaServer and not a cluster of way to many. Still, you will be able to, once you logging into the game, to fill in some things. Like, if you want to raid much Check!  Or if you don't, Uncheck!. You want to play with older or younger folks?, you want to bla bla this or that....  Basically, you'll fill in some sort of form just before you start playing and the MegaServer will team you up with likeminded, aswell as your guildies ofc.

Why can't there be such a feature for the exploring and world pvp issue aswell?

If you don't care, then why get yourself in a tizzy?  Leave caring to other people.

The game is coming "as is", so why worry, you have everything you wanted.

PS - your end conclusion makes no sense at all, are you taking medication? @#$3 I'm not even a doctor.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• paradise2paradise2 Member Posts: 159

/pvp

that is probably the easist fix.  Those who want pvp non stop can have the option at character creation  to have their tag perma toggeled on.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

the mega server is the MAIN problem

they should drop it and copy DAOC MORE  by taking its server model with....

Core servers - with the ruleset as is.  for people who like both pve and pvp and want strong faction pride - should appeal to fans of games like daoc & planetside, but also pvpers from games like wow.

FFA servers - you can go anywhere and pvp anyone, you can claim keeps for your guild - should appeal to the Darkfall crowd

COOP servers - you can go anywhere, group with anyone and guild with anyone, but PVP rewards are removed (as its too easy to cheat) - should appeal to the SWG, EQ, pveers from WOW type games crowd,

Originally posted by Miklosan

Why can't there be such a feature for the exploring and world pvp issue aswell??

on the last point, letting some people play cross faction etc.. will BREAK the game for other players.  The only real soloution is separate servers.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Part of this DAoC system they are doing is also the way PvP is focused on one map. This mean not spreading the war everywhere. 15 small groups of 2-6 players PvPing in the open world all on one map now is a war and is more fun for everyone.
  • TuktzTuktz Member Posts: 299

I personally love the DAOC-esque setup of the world (huge world with faction PVE lands, and shared conquerable area in middle).

I'm a little confused how the RVR area will work though with a mega server?

In daoc those keeps/relics/etc... were static in a static world.

It sounds to me like their "smart mega server" technology will split us up into "instances".

So..... if theres all different instances of the RVR area, how does winning or losing work?

That part kind of confuses me.

For instance if you go to RVR, take over al lthe keeps, go eat dinner for an hour and come back, will you get put in a different instance of the RVR area where you only only 10% of the keeps? etc...

MMO history - EVE GW2 SWTOR RIFT WAR COH/V EQ2 WOW DAOC
    Tuktz - http://www.heretic.shivtr.com/

Originally posted by Tuktz

I personally love the DAOC-esque setup of the world (huge world with faction PVE lands, and shared conquerable area in middle).

It sounds to me like their "smart mega server" technology will split us up into "instances".

So..... if theres all different instances of the RVR area, how does winning or losing work?

For instance if you go to RVR, take over al lthe keeps, go eat dinner for an hour and come back, will you get put in a different instance of the RVR area where you only only 10% of the keeps? etc...

You have to sign up for a conflict. Conflict are like servers and will be the group of players you PvP with. How many can join 1 conflict is not known but once 2000 people get in the AvA map you will need to Q to get in as it stands now. Switching conflicts will be as hard to do as changing servers in other MMOs.

it will probnably effect the PVP area only.  Todays entitled gamers would just whine "forced" pvp.  Can't see it working any other way, otherwise people would just flock to pve instances tied to a campaign that is currently winning.

• Corinthian-XCorinthian-X Member Posts: 86

You join a campaign when you enter AvA. The campaigns basically act as servers. They are persistent and unlike GW2 don't reset.

Ah, then I hope when you pick a conflict, you are locked to that conflict from your current faction. Meaning you could take other characters of your own from the same faction there, but if you make toons in another faction you have to pick another conflict.

Don't want people having toons from every faction in the same conflict! LOL

Ah, then I hope when you pick a conflict, you are locked to that conflict from your current faction. Meaning you could take other characters of your own from the same faction there, but if you make toons in another faction you have to pick another conflict.

Good point... hope the devs thought of that.

unfortunately you can go and be a guest in your friends (read currently winning random bloke) campaign

Originally posted by ShakyMo

unfortunately you can go and be a guest in your friends (read currently winning random bloke) campaign

Link? Also going to join someone and being rewarded for it is another thing. 

• edenzeroedenzero Member Posts: 16

I think the most important thing is the people and players should change their attitude, if a game has to change core mechanics for their to like and circle around them, is pointless to make a game then.

If this game has open world so be it, dont cry over it and learn to adapt and play, if not just walk away insteand of nitpicking...ofc any company would want your money just like Blizzard but..is very sad when people beg to core mechanics or features must be removed/changed for the game tickle their fancy

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Part of this DAoC system they are doing is also the way PvP is focused on one map. This mean not spreading the war everywhere. 15 small groups of 2-6 players PvPing in the open world all on one map now is a war and is more fun for everyone.

I agree - it probably does make the PvP more meaningful and 'epic' to concentrate it.

But why did this require faction area lock?

If the PvP BY AGREEMENT of the factions is only happening in one place - why restrict movement to areas controlled by other factions?

The whole thing is illogical anyway - when was te last time anyone had a 'limited' war about who was going to be in charge, and then the leaders of the various factions allowed one of their people to become the leader instead of them?

Pure garbage from a logical standpoint.

So they would have done no damage to the 'realistic nature' of their game by allowing non-PvP access to all areas except Cyrodil. It wouldn't have touched 'faction pride', and would have required no greater degree of 'suspension of disbelief'.

The whole faction conflict story set-up is quite frankly pretty unbelievable already....

• MiklosanMiklosan Member Posts: 176

Good point... hope the devs thought of that.

If the devs thought of that it would still only make sense for people like us that are following the game: "Ah, okej! My alt on that faction is not part of this very conflict."

The complete newbeginner to mmo's would probably get very confused anyway: "I'm fighting my (main and my) friends faction now?"

Perhaps 2 megaservers would be better afterall, PvP and PvE.

Originally posted by Caliburn101

I agree - it probably does make the PvP more meaningful and 'epic' to concentrate it.

Few reasons, by your coment I will go with the thought you want no PvP anywhere but on the AvA map, no open world PvP or flagged mechanic, as that will water down PvP on the AvA map and only upset pure PvE players. Now your asking the freedom to just go anywhere in PvE areas just to see them and quest there. As for faction lock you have to understand this is a lore/story driven game. Each faction area is designed with that faction in mind. 

So picture this, you are doing a quest to kick the evil dark elves out of a town that are doing very nasty things to the villagers and the story you have been told makes you hate them a little more for being so vial. In the middle of the quest a player walks up who is playing a darkelf and starts to help you, or if thats not permitted by game mechanics, just starts doing funny emotes and dancing with you. Immersion broken. Each map is designed to bring you to the AvA map full of faction pride on why your faction should win the war.

Also if you just want to see each factions map, would it not be more fun going there and seeing it as the faction it was designed for? If you really want to see everything its best to see it the way the game was designed. You dont see it yet but the devision serves a few rolls. 1. Story and quests to drive faction pride 2. Area to let the pure PvEers have a place to play and have their game to 3. Drive all PvP to the AvA map so PvP is focused and not watered down. This is the gold standard that DAoC did so well. Its not worth messing with, as most MMOs that tried to failed.

• TokenaruTokenaru Member Posts: 58

So basically because I enjoy pve more than pvp im a carebear?  Let me tell you a story friend.  Once apon a time I lead large 40 man raids into a place named Molten Core.  We had many who wanted to see this dangerous place including those that were mostly pvp focused, they didnt do so well in there, they were not prepared. Being good at pve is just as much of a skill and talent as being good at pvp, some manage to be great at both.  Instead of categorizing us as "carebears" perhaps you should just realize that in our world your like Jake Sully in Avatar, Like a baby, dont know what to do.

That is all on todays stereotyping incident.

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636
    Originally posted by Caliburn101

Few reasons, by your coment I will go with the thought you want no PvP anywhere but on the AvA map, no open world PvP or flagged mechanic, as that will water down PvP on the AvA map and only upset pure PvE players.

Wrong...

Here we have it - the crass and sweeping assumptions behind 90% of criticism.

I haven't said what I want - except that I want free exploration.

If you want to post in response to something, then pleass refrain from taking a single point - extrapolating it until it no longer resembles the original and then answering that...

You go on to assume a lot of other things about the game which may or may not exist.

Even if they do - spying quests, raiding quests, and access to other areas with a bit of imagination - to access faction locked dungeons etc. or just to wander around in disguise to SEE other areas with some kind of reward maybe for full area exploration.

There are all kinds of level of 'freedom' which don't involve invisible walls, that could be put after faction specific questlines make general access illogical or immersion breaking.

Hard lock is the easiest and laziest option and should be at least be modified to allow more freedom. 

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911

That's why I kind of like this thread, the megaserver could solve a lot of issues.  I strongly feel they should make multiple versions of ESO.  If people want to world PvP or explore - let them!  The megaserver should make instances of the world with alternative rulesets (like the classic PvE, PvP, Co-op and Roleplaying servers but different).

That's not a terrible idea of having different types of megaserver, because you'd only need 1 per each type. (unlike daoc had to have multiple of every ruleset)

It's more work than you think though to redesign pve zones to handle pvp conflict though.

I wouldn't choose that ruleset though, because it would just be a lot of high level people trying to grief lowbie pve levelers in other realm lands. Reason being there'd be no pve content in terms of questing/towns/etc... for you to go to in other realms lands. What would draw you there... to try their dungeons? or just grind mobs? most likely to grief lower level people.

No thanks. If I want to RVR I'll go to the RVR area. Don't want people messing with my relaxing questiong/dungeoning unless I choose that. (which by the way there will be pve content in the RVR area, if you want higher risk higher reward activities than safe PVE lands)

I wouldn't mind a RP ruleset though. That tends to weed out all the 1337 haxor names from the world, even if you don't actively RP a lot.

COOP would be kind of wierd though, since there would be absolutely ZERO pvp. I guess the extreme carebears could go there though lol. Maybe the RVR area on a coop server could have NPC guards to fight and take the keeps n stuff away from.

That's not a terrible idea of having different types of megaserver, because you'd only need 1 per each type. (unlike daoc had to have multiple of every ruleset)

It's more work than you think though to redesign pve zones to handle pvp conflict though.

I wouldn't choose that ruleset though, because it would just be a lot of high level people trying to grief lowbie pve levelers in other realm lands. Reason being there'd be no pve content in terms of questing/towns/etc... for you to go to in other realms lands. What would draw you there... to try their dungeons? or just grind mobs? most likely to grief lower level people.

I wouldn't redesign PvE zones though, I would just take out ALL NPCs.  Then bump everyone up to the same level (exactly like they are doing in Cyrodiil) and allow people to flag themselves for FFA wPvP, Faction-based wPvP and Non-combat.  They could go anywhere; other faction territories, enemy cities and a general Cyrodiil instance (not connected to the campaign - for scouting and practice)... and even group with players from other factions.

I think the Non-combat is also important for people who just want to explore AND to promote some kind of dialogue between players - maybe you become friends and start a wPvP group together.  Flagging for wPvP should be encouraged but not required (I understand world PvP'ers may not totally agree with this option but it's also made for explorers).

Players can freely switch between the official and 'explorer/wPvP' version on one character (the official game is for quests, loot and other NPC access).  This would be a lot simplier than making two different servers; world PvP and Co-op, and it would also be easier than redesigning an entire zone.

No thanks. If I want to RVR I'll go to the RVR area. Don't want people messing with my relaxing questiong/dungeoning unless I choose that. (which by the way there will be pve content in the RVR area, if you want higher risk higher reward activities than safe PVE lands)

I wouldn't mind a RP ruleset though. That tends to weed out all the 1337 haxor names from the world, even if you don't actively RP a lot.

COOP would be kind of wierd though, since there would be absolutely ZERO pvp. I guess the extreme carebears could go there though lol. Maybe the RVR area on a coop server could have NPC guards to fight and take the keeps n stuff away from.

Sounds good till you take into account that the game is fully VO story. So great you make a mega server where you can go anywhere. Im a highelf in a darkelf land and I pick up a quest to kill the highelves who have invaded a darkelf town. The story tells you about how pig headed highelves are and they are so glad you are here to help lol. The faction areas are 6 years in development and designed for that faction it was intended to play on. What have you gained by walking into the other factions map? Look around? Thats watered down compaired to playing that map with a char from the faction it was designed for lol. Do you not get the devs wont want that for good reason? 

Sounds good till you take into account that the game is fully VO story. So great you make a mega server where you can go anywhere. Im a highelf in a darkelf land and I pick up a quest to kill the highelves who have invaded a darkelf town. The story tells you about how pig headed highelves are and they are so glad you are here to help lol. The faction areas are 6 years in development and designed for that faction it was intended to play on. What have you gained by walking into the other factions map? Look around? Thats watered down compaired to playing that map with a char from the faction it was designed for lol. Do you not get the devs wont want that for good reason? 

Again, that's why I suggest make a seperate version of ESO (mimicking different server rulesets) that has no NPCs, full exploration and then allow players to switch between versions on a persistent character.  If you need to talk to an NPC, turn in quests or gain xp then play the official game.

It would just be a version to goof off in, with no NPCs or faction locks.  Allow people to manually flag for wPvP (faction-based or FFA) and/or explore.  Flagging for wPvP in this version should be encouraged but not required. 

Originally posted by sapphen

Again, that's why I suggest make a seperate version of ESO (mimicking different server rulesets) that has no NPCs, full exploration and then allow players to switch between versions on a persistent character.  If you need to talk to an NPC, turn in quests or gain xp then play the official game.

It would just be a version to goof off in, with no NPCs or faction locks.  Allow people to manually flag for wPvP (faction-based or FFA) and/or explore.  Flagging for wPvP in this version should be encouraged but not required. 

I think this is not the game you are looking for, try checking out Archeage. When you are not happy with core mechanics of a game 6 years in development you may want to move on.