Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

About That SimCity And EA Fiasco

WarleyWarley Member UncommonPosts: 508

I'll flat out say it. If you bought it and they ban you after you do a chargeback you deserve it. You deserve to get had for your $60, and I hope you lose your chargeback as ruled by the bank even if SimCity still doesn't work for you months, six months, or even years later. Why? It's people like you who blindly buy this crap from companies like Activision(Blizzard)(with Diablo 3) and EA (now with SimCity) that you know will have always on DRM. You blindly go charging in then cry foul, with many of you probably going for another dip in the can of polished turds that these companies throw at us again and again, into the future.

I don't support EA or Blizzard and their insane always on DRM at all. Don't buy from Actiripoff or Electronic Greed. If you didn't buy from them then they would fall to the way side and crumble away. Better companies would rise to the top while companies like EA wouldn't have monopolies over NFL games; couldn't buy, butcher, then destroy great game companies; and then would wither away into obscurity.

These greedy companies are led by 'business men' not game developers. Their sole purpose isn't visionary, next-generation gaming.  Read the resume of EA's executives.  EVERYTHING they do is based upon what numbers tell them.  They're not ran by great gaming minds like Will Wright, Sid Meier or Tim Schafer.

Just because the push down that slippery slope is slow doesn't mean they'll stop pushing you until you reach the bottom.  And, when you reach the bottom you'll find they have placed shovels in your hands and now you'll be digging a deeper pit FOR THEM. Meanwhile, you'll have their cheerleaders continuing to praise them from the pit yelling, "THEY ARE A GOOD COMPANY BECAUSE THEY HAVEN'T BURIED US ALIVE!"

Ultimately, it isn't EA's fault.  Sure, they pushed you into the pit, they made you dig it deeper, and they threw nasty old bread down to you.  But, you allowed them to.  You let them by throwing money at their regurgitated NFL Madden games; you bought their watered downed MMO; and you bought their myriad of other games that are nothing more than eye candy with no soul.

It really boils down to this:

STOP BUYING THEIR CRAP AND THEY'LL EITHER ADAPT AND MAKE BETTER GAMES OR A BETTER GAME DEVELOPER/PUBLISHER WILL REPLACE THEM.

Now, I won't be surprised if I get reported and then banned. It always happens. People get their feelings hurt when someone with a cold, hard reality check points out who is to blame for the way companies like EA acts.

Comments

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563

I'm sure people will quickly call me out if I'm wrong, but I don't recall the fallout from Diablo 3 being this bad. Don't get me wrong, people were enraged and gaming sites ran articles about the failures .... but the backlash this time is pretty epic. And some sadistic part of myself is rejoicing this failure because it has a chance to right future wrongs involving DRM and yet the other part of me is weeping in the fetal position at the sight of a series I love so much failing on such an epic level.

• lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671
    Originally posted by Warley

I'll flat out say it. If you bought it and they ban you after you do a chargeback you deserve it. You deserve to get had for your $60, and I hope you lose your chargeback as ruled by the bank even if SimCity still doesn't work for you months, six months, or even years later. Why? It's people like you who blindly buy this crap from companies like Activision(Blizzard)(with Diablo 3) and EA (now with SimCity) that you know will have always on DRM. You blindly go charging in then cry foul, with many of you probably going for another dip in the can of polished turds that these companies throw at us again and again, into the future.

I don't support EA or Blizzard and their insane always on DRM at all. Don't buy from Actiripoff or Electronic Greed. If you didn't buy from them then they would fall to the way side and crumble away. Better companies would rise to the top while companies like EA wouldn't have monopolies over NFL games; couldn't buy, butcher, then destroy great game companies; and then would wither away into obscurity.

These greedy companies are led by 'business men' not game developers. Their sole purpose isn't visionary, next-generation gaming.  Read the resume of EA's executives.  EVERYTHING they do is based upon what numbers tell them.  They're not ran by great gaming minds like Will Wright, Sid Meier or Tim Schafer.

Just because the push down that slippery slope is slow doesn't mean they'll stop pushing you until you reach the bottom.  And, when you reach the bottom you'll find they have placed shovels in your hands and now you'll be digging a deeper pit FOR THEM. Meanwhile, you'll have their cheerleaders continuing to praise them from the pit yelling, "THEY ARE A GOOD COMPANY BECAUSE THEY HAVEN'T BURIED US ALIVE!"

Ultimately, it isn't EA's fault.  Sure, they pushed you into the pit, they made you dig it deeper, and they threw nasty old bread down to you.  But, you allowed them to.  You let them by throwing money at their regurgitated NFL Madden games; you bought their watered downed MMO; and you bought their myriad of other games that are nothing more than eye candy with no soul.

It really boils down to this:

STOP BUYING THEIR CRAP AND THEY'LL EITHER ADAPT AND MAKE BETTER GAMES OR A BETTER GAME DEVELOPER/PUBLISHER WILL REPLACE THEM.

Now, I won't be surprised if I get reported and then banned. It always happens. People get their feelings hurt when someone with a cold, hard reality check points out who is to blame for the way companies like EA acts.

Agreed.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

• OmiragOmirag Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Originally posted by Kumapon

I'm sure people will quickly call me out if I'm wrong, but I don't recall the fallout from Diablo 3 being this bad. Don't get me wrong, people were enraged and gaming sites ran articles about the failures .... but the backlash this time is pretty epic. And some sadistic part of myself is rejoicing this failure because it has a chance to right future wrongs involving DRM and yet the other part of me is weeping in the fetal position at the sight of a series I love so much failing on such an epic level.

D3 was worse than this, it just faded with time and so will this. We have to accept that if we support corrupt companies, this happens. It is our faults as ignorant consumers.

Everyone that bought Sim City 5 will lose their money, cry about it, and get nothing back for their efforts. Got to love the gaming industry. I blame WoW for making players be so easily cowed into stuff. We need to stop being sheep.

• WarleyWarley Member UncommonPosts: 508

It really is sad. SimCity, IMHO, is one of the greatest games of all time. It's is to sim games as Mario is to platformers. The only way you can screw up a SimCity game is by introducing needless crap like always on DRM or the SimCity Store (to buy add-ons). SimCity doesn't need the graphics of a 1st Person Shooter. Where is the cost of development going to justify them wanting a store for charging more?

Sims 3 does this exact same thing.  Not only do they charge you for the base game they also charge you $20 - $40 for expansions that are nothing more than cosmetic upgrades in most cases.  On top of this, there is even more worthless crap that you have to pay for to get the full game. The prices for things in the Sim Store is ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS; It's nickel & diming at it's finest.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

There were some threads here and other places about the servers being full when D3 was released. I believe the South Korean government threatened a lawsuit against Blizzard because they wouldn't refund purchases initially.

• WarleyWarley Member UncommonPosts: 508

I wanted to add one thing, though. There are times where DLC is legit. It is when a company puts out a game that is so good that you not only get your $60 worth, but you get so much more. I'm talking about a game like Skyrim. That game is a genre defining game that is worth more than $60. I've bought every single DLC for it even though I haven't played all the content; simply because Bethesda earned that money by giving me a game that featured more than just AAA graphics.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    EA is full of idiots who just want to fill their pockets with money. Anyone who buys games from them deserves to get screwed.
  • knapuknapu Member Posts: 131
    Diablo 3 over 12 mil sales how many got sim cit ? Wait i donr even care
    I like diablo its one of thw best hach and slash gamea ans surley will be the best since no orher gamea will be able to keep up with the content update .

I am the punishment of God...
    If you had not committed great sins,
    God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you
    — Genghis Khan

• steamtanksteamtank Member UncommonPosts: 391

you dont have to know anything about the 7th star wars movie to know you will go see it.

please keep that in mind when you start talking about games that come from a legacy. D3 and SimCity are both legacy games. If you played the previous ones and you heard they are coming out... you buy it, you dont have to have a ton of information, you enjoyed the previous 2+ games so the development company has earned your trust at this point.

Then the game that breaks the legacy comes out.  Then people like OP say "haha you should have known!" because OP happend to be one of the people who did not buy the game on release. Its BS.

D3 SHOULD have been a good game, it was (and is) an okay game, but nothing better than what a tiny indie company can put out... which is why its mostly considered a failure (beyond the RMAH loot driven system of awefulness)

Having to be online for a single player game is fucking horseshit. You want to know what game made me feel that way.... D3. I love the concept of the mmo, so being online isnt a big deal to me... but with how terribad the first months of D3 were made me lothe the online system in a non mmo game..

You shouldnt act like a tool because people gave a well respected series the benefit of the doubt and got burned. Instead be proactive and actually find ways to help these people get back their money for buying a product that did not deliver.

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657
    I have Simcity and I think it great. Its one of many games I play since the mmos out now are pretty much crap.
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Kinda harsh words you put there OP... Yeah, it's expected for an ONLINE game to have outages of their servers on release day. Just looking at last year which (major) MMORPGs were released and how long the waiting queues were to get in (GW2, SWTOR to name 2) was redeculous indeed. But what happened to Diablo 3 and SimCity now is just outragious. Both games are SINGLE PLAYER games to the core and only because the publisher is afraid of piracy they add a harsh DRM like this.

I really can't blame people to make a charge-back if games like Diablo 3 and SimCity are not working as they should (or not working at all to start with since the DRM servers are flooded). I even dare to say that a company to bann accounts for this and with that making a theft act on all other games that were purchased in the past and linked to that acount is just WRONG WRONG WRONG.

If these companies have some balls and acknowledge their DRM systems are flawed, they should just simply charge back when the customer bought their games directly from them.

Back on SimCity itself... For Europe there were 2 servers added overnight (about time). Now lets wait for North America to have extra servers added and (more importanty) to get that OFFLINE button so that we don't need to pollute the servers with all our abandoned (starting) cities....

• crescens87crescens87 Member UncommonPosts: 34

Basically, single player gamers are learning what all MMO gamers have come to know.  The first month of a game online is going to be rocky.  Stop bitching. No one is being greedy. The game is not a shitty game because you can not access it.  It is just server outages akin to server outages in MMOs.  

Get over yourselves.

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140

Ops correct...100%

A single playter game with "always in DRM" should never be purchased.

-That said, it has already been cracked and MY PIRATED copy works great... Still think Sim City 4 is better (although once all the DLC comes out and you guys are nickle and dimed to death- I think there will be a good game here)

-I will be playing the cracked DLC as well...Offline. =)

Hows that DRM working out when the people who pay are getting an inferior product?

EDIT: I would suggest finding the cracked copy even if you paid- Then you can, you know, play...And no need to be online either.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Killsmallchi

D3 was worse than this, it just faded with time and so will this. We have to accept that if we support corrupt companies, this happens. It is our faults as ignorant consumers.

Everyone that bought Sim City 5 will lose their money, cry about it, and get nothing back for their efforts. Got to love the gaming industry. I blame WoW for making players be so easily cowed into stuff. We need to stop being sheep.

WoW caused cancer and aids too. It causes hunger in 3rd world countries and is the number one cause of gingivitis.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I bought Sim City. Because it looked good when I watched videos and honestly I have had no issues getting into the servers except a hiccup for maybe 20 minutes when I first installed it? I have been playing the past 5 hours successfully, and been having a blast with it. I hate this blind EA hate, or the DRM elitists. You have internet, it works, play the game. When the servers go down do something else. You aren't going to be playing it 24/7, and you probably have 50 other games to play. I hate how out of proportion all of this gets blown each time a new game releases with this DRM. Pirate it if you hate it, complaining on forums doesn't help any situation. Also people saying EA is going to charge for each and every thing, yes they will, but the base games usually have plenty of content. People saying the DRM or always online is the reason Diablo 3 had such a backlash it isn't. The reason diablo 3 had a backlash is because people were expecting another Diablo 2 from completely different people working on it, sure the vocal minority on forums was complaining about the always on DRM like always, but almost every friend I had that bought the game stopped playing it sheerly out of boredom, I don't think I knew anyone leaving because of the DRM. It hasn't changed over the years for The Sims like someone else mentioned, yes they charge for cosmetic crap, yes they charge for expansions. But they have since the first Sims game. I remember having like 5 different expansions for it, and they hardly did anything (adding pets? Woo hoo). 
    Originally posted by Psychow

WoW caused cancer and aids too. It causes hunger in 3rd world countries and is the number one cause of gingivitis.

-Okay, I think its a pretty well established fact that WOW did indeed cause Aids...But Cancer? We pretty much KNOW that cancer was a direct result of "Chuck Norris Superkicks" on the Atari 2600 and to blame that on WOW would be disingenuious.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395

It's an EA game: I expect nothing better.

I just don't buy their stuff anymore.   Problem solved.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

Originally posted by Panther2103
    I bought Sim City. Because it looked good when I watched videos and honestly I have had no issues getting into the servers except a hiccup for maybe 20 minutes when I first installed it? I have been playing the past 5 hours successfully, and been having a blast with it. I hate this blind EA hate, or the DRM elitists. You have internet, it works, play the game. When the servers go down do something else. You aren't going to be playing it 24/7, and you probably have 50 other games to play. I hate how out of proportion all of this gets blown each time a new game releases with this DRM. Pirate it if you hate it, complaining on forums doesn't help any situation. Also people saying EA is going to charge for each and every thing, yes they will, but the base games usually have plenty of content. People saying the DRM or always online is the reason Diablo 3 had such a backlash it isn't. The reason diablo 3 had a backlash is because people were expecting another Diablo 2 from completely different people working on it, sure the vocal minority on forums was complaining about the always on DRM like always, but almost every friend I had that bought the game stopped playing it sheerly out of boredom, I don't think I knew anyone leaving because of the DRM. It hasn't changed over the years for The Sims like someone else mentioned, yes they charge for cosmetic crap, yes they charge for expansions. But they have since the first Sims game. I remember having like 5 different expansions for it, and they hardly did anything (adding pets? Woo hoo). 

...When the server goes down "go play something else"?

How about- I bought a single player game and there should be no "server" to worry about. What if I wish to dust off this game in 5 years, will the "server be there"? How about we as consumers demand better treatment and demand that the products we pay for are availible to us so long as everything is fine ON OUR END? Why should my ability to play be contingent on problems on their end? This isnt an MMO. What if I cancel my internet due to the ecomnomy or for any reason- None of my games will work anymore (this is the way its heading..)

-People like you are the problem. Keep throwing cash their way ...

And again, the FREE (i.e. Pirated) version doesnt have the same limitations as the "Purchased" version.

If I buy a single player game I expect to be able to virtually play the game forever. I still play games from the 1990s which I purchased on an old PC which is used for that purpouse.

-The old saying "you get whayt you pay for" is totally skewed if the free version works better than the , what $50- $60 dollar version.

EDIT: Also note this is a fantastic way to make your purchases void when Simcity 6 comes out... All your DRM enabled DLC will just NOT WORK when they pull the server and force you to purchase SimCity 6 and all the DLC ALL OVER AGAIN.

lol

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Originally posted by Jacxolope

How about- I bought a single player game and there should be no "server" to worry about. What if I wish to dust off this game in 5 years, will the "server be there"? How about we as consumers demand better treatment and demand that the products we pay for are availible to us so long as everything is fine ON OUR END? Why should my ability to play be contingent on problems on their end? This isnt an MMO.

-People like you are the problem. Keep throwing cash there way ...

And again, the FREE (i.e. Pirated) version doesnt have the same limitations as the "Purchased" version.

If I buy a single player game I expect to be able to virtually play the game forever. I still play games from the 1990s which I purchased on an old PC which is used for that purpouse.

-The old saying "you get whayt you pay for" is totally skewed if the free version works better than the , what $50- $60 dollar version.

I'm throwing cash their way because I wanted the product. I didn't care about the online only DRM and I am enjoying the game, so how is it a problem for me? It isn't. 

If you bought a game in the 90's and wanted to play it again and it didn't work on your new pc and you had to jump through a bunch of hoops to get it running then wouldn't that be the same situation? I mean sure you may eventually get it working but how well? So you have to hold on to an old computer to play it. 

Honestly I don't care, I have no reason to hate online DRM, I have no reason to like it. I just have an internet connection and patience so I think that everything is blown out of proportion. You are entitled to an opinion as am I. The industry is changing, and there will be no way to prevent online only DRM. Even consoles are moving towards that now, which I thought would never happen. But there will always be companies to support that will release DRM free games, which I will support as well. I just don't feel like limiting everything I purchase because of an issue I have no problems with.

EDIT: To your new edit, that isn't true at all. They have Battlefield 2 still running, battlefield bad company 1 and 2 still running, even though they released battlfield 3. Doesn't mean they will pull the plug on the servers, they just wont continue updating the game.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

How about- I bought a single player game and there should be no "server" to worry about. What if I wish to dust off this game in 5 years, will the "server be there"? How about we as consumers demand better treatment and demand that the products we pay for are availible to us so long as everything is fine ON OUR END? Why should my ability to play be contingent on problems on their end? This isnt an MMO.

-People like you are the problem. Keep throwing cash their way ...

EDIT: Also note this is a fantastic way to make your purchases void when Simcity 6 comes out... All your DRM enabled DLC will just NOT WORK when they pull the server and force you to purchase SimCity 6 and all the DLC ALL OVER AGAIN.

lol

Very well spoken... I have bought the game eventually (the CE I ordered was indeed available, so WTH I thought), and right now there are no problems. BUT... As soon as problems keep coming back the coming month, I'll download that hack and install that one. Same for when EA will pull the plug of the servers to sell me SC6. No way I'm gonna buy an other EA title that uses this kind of DRM. When SC6 comes out, I'll get the SC5 hack and install that one to keep playing the SINGLE PLAYER GAME I bought. And about SC6..? Perhaps download a pirated copy or just ditch this good IP all together...

-People like you are the problem. Keep throwing cash there way ...

I'm throwing cash their way because I wanted the product. I didn't care about the online only DRM and I am enjoying the game, so how is it a problem for me? It isn't. 

If you bought a game in the 90's and wanted to play it again and it didn't work on your new pc and you had to jump through a bunch of hoops to get it running then wouldn't that be the same situation? I mean sure you may eventually get it working but how well? So you have to hold on to an old computer to play it. 

Honestly I don't care, I have no reason to hate online DRM, I have no reason to like it. I just have an internet connection and patience so I think that everything is blown out of proportion. You are entitled to an opinion as am I. The industry is changing, and there will be no way to prevent online only DRM. Even consoles are moving towards that now, which I thought would never happen. But there will always be companies to support that will release DRM free games, which I will support as well. I just don't feel like limiting everything I purchase because of an issue I have no problems with.

No...It isnt the same situation. At all.

I can run Dosbbox if I didnt have a win 98 machine. problem solved.

-Always on DRM is a scam. It does not defeat Piracy and only opunishes the people legitimatley supporting EA. It makes your purchase null and void whenever they pull the server- It takes the control from YOUR hand.

-But okay...Glad you are happy. 

• VolmokVolmok Member UncommonPosts: 64

I love sim cissty series. When I saw that you'd have to buy a sigle player game but must be online to play, I immediatly thought about D3 launch (worst I have experience in last years).

Also considering it's EA at the wheel, like many said, a company run by business men not game designers and game enthusiasts, I think I will stay back and watch all the drama and cries of players that are susceptible to mob mentality and no matter how much others try to point out the obvious stuff they will defend their broken game to death!

If you think that players cannot change EA's attitude you are mistaking. Look at SWTOR, the game was a success for EA just by being a Star Wars series and most of the players were let down but so many things. They started to point our the bad things and when they saw BW (or EA, they are the same at the end of the day) wont do anything they canceled the subscriptions and moved one; a few months later F2P came to SWTOR (not the greatest in the world, but still it is better than nothing).

V.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Wait, I thought WoW caused AIDS, and Diablo 3 caused cancer? At least, that's what the folks on this forum have always said. I'm confused...

So what is Simcity going to cause? Spousal abuse? Inbreeding? Uneven tire wear?

Originally posted by Rednecksith

Wait, I thought WoW caused AIDS, and Diablo 3 caused cancer? At least, that's what the folks on this forum have always said. I'm confused...

So what is Simcity going to cause? Spousal abuse? Inbreeding? Uneven tire wear?

I am sure you heard about thayt new "superbug" bacterial infection. http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/03/05/superbugs-infections-hospitals/1965133/

-That is Simcity 5's fault.

EDIT: Even look at the timing- Untreatable Superbug with 50% kill rate comes out on launch day? Coincidence??? I think not. =P

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

lolz, here we go again.....all you do is bitch about it on the forums.......but the sales numbers still say you bought the game you dont like.

The same with people saying they dont use cellphones in their car or never drive too fast.....no one does it but still the numbers say otherwise.

Dont lie, act !

This discussion has been closed.