Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Makeb Overview

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Star Wars: The Old Republic Lead Writer Charles Boyd has published a new developer blog that gives players an overview of the planet Makeb. Makeb will arrive in game with the release of the expansion, Rise of the Hutt Cartel.

When the writers discussed who the Players’ direct opposition should be on Makeb, the choice was unanimous: we all wanted to fight the Hutts. The increasing aggression of the Hutt Cartel was introduced in our Game Update (Operation: Karagga’s Palace Part II), and we wanted to bring that looming conflict to the forefront on Makeb and give players a chance to face-off with the Cartel once and for all.

The Hutts give us an opportunity to reinforce just how fragile the balance of power has become due to the ongoing war between the Republic and the Empire. The entire galaxy seems like it’s up for grabs at this point, and it was only a matter of time before a wealthy and powerful entity like the Hutts decided to make their own bid for control.

Read more of the Makeb Overiew on the Star Wars: The Old Republic site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• steelheartxsteelheartx Member UncommonPosts: 434
    Looking forward to it!

Looking for a family that you can game with for life? Check out Grievance at https://www.grievancegaming.org !

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Same... I am very excited. LOL it will be fun to force push players out of the messas /grin

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Isn't Makeb the planet where same-sex companion love quests take place? I remember reading this somewhere. Not sure if it's fact.
  • VlackeVlacke Member UncommonPosts: 155
    Great read, definitely looking forward to this.
  • velmaxvelmax Member UncommonPosts: 224
    So excited!!!
  • IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    Originally posted by Ppiper
    Originally posted by Dauzqul
    Isn't Makeb the planet where same-sex companion love quests take place? I remember reading this somewhere. Not sure if it's fact.

correct. I think it's an interesting dynamic. 

I never read an official claim to putting SGRA for Makeb, only they are interested in putting it. If you could pull a link.

Not sure why people want SGRA.

To me it looks it allows the devs to make content that fits their themepark MMO without having to develop core content for an MMO in the broader and more refined sense for more experienced MMO players. So I hope I am wrong that SGRA and it does not allow them a free pass to turn thier game more into a gear grind and alting end game and attract new MMO players turning it into thier MMO rather than the standard for a more refined experience... which does exist.

I dont think that is what a lot of pepole want as well, for the game to turn into a gear grind with less content than WoW. They should differentiate thier product, and if SGRA is their differentiation then like I said, it would look like they would exploit SGRA to make thier game more of the same claiming that SGRA is what makes them unique. Since swtor is very much a wow clone and worse from a pvp perspective.

The ncie thing about swtor is that it is SW, sci-fi fantasy, and has good ops... but is tied in with thier lacking end game, alting and gear grind for pvp/pve and raids with limited crafting, and almost non existent open world features.

I think it is too 'soon' to exploit the gay agenda (the gay pepole who suffered bullying, and worse should not be part of a game that exploits them) by swtor to try to beat WoW. And should try with less gimicky and shock value alternatives.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    Sure. It's a SW game though. So it's not like they should do anything with it.

And real life can have things which are not entertaining and only become a feature that ruins the element of fantasy.

For some the SGRA is not important in game and there is other content that is more important that is not related to real life and has more entertainment value.

Also I think as mentioned differentiating swtor with sgra makes it something it is known for rather than something else that made it recognized as an innovative game.

The VO I think is a feature that is a costly problem with opportunity cost, even though it is a nice feature. "Since the cost of VO is too damn high ".

So real life does not mean it should be included in a game if it's not entertaining and there are other options which can also interest a more general crowd while it being a SW MMO and not a in house created IP.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• DeeterDeeter Member UncommonPosts: 135

"You can have same sex relationships"

"As long as you do it in the designated homosexual zone over there"

• there is also video up, Making of Rise of the Hutt Cartel Part 1: Creating Makeb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GzzCOJqPLc&feature=youtu.be

• Originally posted by Incomparable
    Originally posted by Ppiper
    Originally posted by Dauzqul

correct. I think it's an interesting dynamic. 

I never read an official claim to putting SGRA for Makeb, only they are interested in putting it. If you could pull a link.

Not sure why people want SGRA.

To me it looks it allows the devs to make content that fits their themepark MMO without having to develop core content for an MMO in the broader and more refined sense for more experienced MMO players. So I hope I am wrong that SGRA and it does not allow them a free pass to turn thier game more into a gear grind and alting end game and attract new MMO players turning it into thier MMO rather than the standard for a more refined experience... which does exist.

I dont think that is what a lot of pepole want as well, for the game to turn into a gear grind with less content than WoW. They should differentiate thier product, and if SGRA is their differentiation then like I said, it would look like they would exploit SGRA to make thier game more of the same claiming that SGRA is what makes them unique. Since swtor is very much a wow clone and worse from a pvp perspective.

The ncie thing about swtor is that it is SW, sci-fi fantasy, and has good ops... but is tied in with thier lacking end game, alting and gear grind for pvp/pve and raids with limited crafting, and almost non existent open world features.

I think it is too 'soon' to exploit the gay agenda (the gay pepole who suffered bullying, and worse should not be part of a game that exploits them) by swtor to try to beat WoW. And should try with less gimicky and shock value alternatives.

it was in one of the state of the game updates. its not with companions at this time. its just with some npcs, likely no different than when your agent or smuggler hooks up with some npc through flirting choices during a quest

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20130102

Topic #4: Same Gender Romance: Any news on this front would be great… Answer: First of all, I want to apologize that this is taking so long to get in the game. I realize that we promised SGR to you guys and that many of you believed that this would be with a companion character. Unfortunately, this will take a lot more work than we realized at the time and it (like some other pieces of content we talked about earlier in the year) has been delayed as we focused on the changes required to take the game Free-to-Play. As we have said in the past, allowing same gender romance is something we are very supportive of.

Secondly, I want to reveal today that we are adding SGR with some NPCs on Makeb and do intend on pursuing more SGR options in the future. More details to come!

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Barely can wait. Swtor is for me on top on throne with Wow. I just wish they would create more decent expansion. But will play for sure, my 8 top level alts are awaiting and 8 more are close to max. :-))