Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How important is the overall look of your character in a MMO

Comments

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Very important to me.

I don't care how amazing the combat in an MMO is if i can't get into my character.  When you take an amazing game world such as LOTRO and you fill it with the worst character models ever, then i lose interest.  LOTRO's saving grace is their cloaks that allow you to cover up that mess.

I've been saying this for years now, but anything short of Aion's character creator is a disappointment.  Allowing everyone to make characters as ugly or as pretty as they please should be a priority.  Whithout character attachment, there's no game attachment for myself.

• aylwynnaylwynn Member Posts: 94
    Well ... Its a matter of opinion. If I have to watch my mates fighting with some toy axes or as pandas I won't play that game that long I guess. I like it raw, classic and lorefriendly (as far as it is believable).
  • ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by FromHell
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

for people who say not important say it's a game with character models like scarlet blade or your only race choice were these two from TERA and say the game isn't what they currently are say it has the best aspects of every game you ever wanted to play minus the characters looks. Would you not play it just because of the character look?

holy cow. No I couldn't stand that, no... way... I've got a cuteness allergy. In fact that's not even cute, rather...scary.. in a disturbing way

I feel the same way.

Anyway...Having cool looking armor/gear is a must for me.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61
    Extremely important for me. If I could not create a character that I like in game, that is equal with uninstall.

i agree and same for me.. unfortunatly swtor was one of those games were the characters look dreadfull to me... obviously tons don't mind and even like the look but it's honestly game breaking bad for me in this case since you spend so much time looking at your character:(

I agree that they could do a better job with characters, but I was able to get a type for females and males that I absolutely adore :) yes they look almost the same but I love every one of them.. and that's what counts :)

It helps that they have awesome animations :)

imageimageimageimageimage

imageimageimage

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

Character looks are pretty important to me. Best game ever comes out, but i can only play as gnomes? Nope. I like cute(Asura/lalafell), i like sexy(Tera/Scarlet), and i like badass(DmC/DMC, no mmo characters come to mind).

Then it's on to armor. For cute, poofy, silly, cute looking clothing. Sexy, well, less is more. Badass, well, nothing comes to mind. Could be anything depending on the character its on.

Gnomes with gaunty shoulder pads and elf pointed shoes, weird hats and otherwise 'wtf is this mashup of design madness they call a character' most likely immediately see the delete button applied to them.

Same for world asthetics. The heavily asian styled mmo's get tossed, i like cobblestone roads and towering buildings ala GW2 and FFXI, old timey stuff. Or futuristic shiny metal and neon lights like uh...tron or something. Anything really, just dont care for asian themed stuff.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    my character (looks, animations, mechanics, skills, etc etc etc) is the most important part of any mmo to me. As soon as i log in, there is not a single moment where im not controlling my character in any way. If i dont like my character i dont play the game. Dont need to say more.

• CallinCallin Member Posts: 99

more important than anything else the game has to offer.

Not only does the character model have to appease me. The armor looks, weapon looks, and even the SKILLS have to appease me or im not playing it or using that skill... EVER. 

A buddy of mine playing RIFT back when it started deleted a max lvl toon becuase it glitched out and deleted his eyebrows. I laughed because i would do it too. LOL

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Extremely important for me. If I could not create a character that I like in game, that is equal with uninstall.

i agree and same for me.. unfortunatly swtor was one of those games were the characters look dreadfull to me... obviously tons don't mind and even like the look but it's honestly game breaking bad for me in this case since you spend so much time looking at your character:(

I agree that they could do a better job with characters, but I was able to get a type for females and males that I absolutely adore :) yes they look almost the same but I love every one of them.. and that's what counts :)

faces aren't even my biggest issue although i only could make 1 or 2 decent female faces it was really the armor.. just hated it and never could findd anything i like at all:( looked up with top armors for all classes and got even more depressed

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Callin

more important than anything else the game has to offer.

Not only does the character model have to appease me. The armor looks, weapon looks, and even the SKILLS have to appease me or im not playing it or using that skill... EVER. 

A buddy of mine playing RIFT back when it started deleted a max lvl toon becuase it glitched out and deleted his eyebrows. I laughed because i would do it too. LOL

LOL same. I deleted my level 50 sith warrior because I stopped to like how she looked.

here she is.. gone forever...

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

faces aren't even my biggest issue although i only could make 1 or 2 decent female faces it was really the armor.. just hated it and never could findd anything i like at all:( looked up with top armors for all classes and got even more depressed

With update 2.0 you can just exchange mods from top armor to retain the bonuses... it will help with creating look you like.

I absolutely love my new Thrawn-like sniper's armor.... (edit) the red accents match his glorious glowing red eyes /grin

imageimage

With update 2.0 you can just exchange mods from top armor to retain the bonuses... it will help with creating look you like.

I absolutely love my new Thrawn-like sniper armor....

imageimage

we obviously have very differn't ideas of "good" looking armor:) granted that is better than most i have seen

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

I absolutely love my new Thrawn-like sniper armor....

imageimage

we obviously have very differn't ideas of "good" looking armor:) granted that is better than most i have seen

LOL aren't we all different creatures?

sure are and all have differn't values in what is aesthetically pleasing as well:)

sure are and all have differn't values in what is aesthetically pleasing as well:)

Very true :)

And thanks God :) We would be so boring if we would like the same things :)

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395

Absolutely important.   If the character customization is poor, I am far less likely to continue playing the game.   And everyone looking the same is somewhat immersion breaking for me.  That's especially bad for the gear grinder games where everyone ends up in the same armor because it's the minimaxed. 

Character customization, Gui, and gameplay are the big three, for me.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

Originally posted by Arglebargle

Absolutely important.   If the character customization is poor, I am far less likely to continue playing the game.   And everyone looking the same is somewhat immersion breaking for me.  That's especially bad for the gear grinder games where everyone ends up in the same armor because it's the minimaxed. 

same:)

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Arglebargle

same:)

+1

thats the real holy trinity, that i heard.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782
    Voted important. I am a vain prick in game as in RL. If a players toon is badley dressed or smells or is ugly and NOT a Dwarf, I am not going to group with them and will PK the sheep worrying sense ofender if that mechanic is available! ;)
  • Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633
    I voted Important. I really didn't notice how much I really needed to have a good character creator and customization options until recently. I tried to jump into a game and just could not get the look I wanted and it completely put me off from playing it. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757

I voted important. I don't need the best graphics, but if I can't like the look of my character, not going to play it. Usually there is at least 1 race I can find that I will like. It is not just the look either, but sometimes the animations. Battle animations I could ignore because I'm so focused on the fighting, but things like running, walking, have to be good.

I remember in daoc, when I was playing some hibs, I wanted a lurikeen. Like the look of them, and being small for the pvp was nice. The male lurikeens running animation were awful! I tried, but could not keep playing them. Females ran just fine, were smaller too so worked out well.

• cpthowdycpthowdy Member Posts: 113
    voted not important. i spend 99% of my game time looking at my backside so who cares if i have pointy eyebrows? i dont stop and look at other people and they dont stop to stare at me. i do like to have armor that matches though, hate looking like a rainbow warrior.
  • NilenyaNilenya Member UncommonPosts: 364
    Very important. I think because the gameplay does become repetitive in some areas (some areas earlier than others) having the game be visually pleasing, including the thing that is allways included on my screen is very important to me. - I also find most of the games I play are in some way or another about a vertical ladder of equipment, - I need to care about how that equipment looks on my character. - So to me graphics and character graphics matter alot. But so does the environment graphics and overall ambience of the world. - I never last long in games where I find the overall character design, as well as armor and weapons design to be sloppy, boring or not inline with my own esthetics. - Your example of the Elin and potpourri (LOL) races from TERA is a good example. I could never play TERA if those were my only choice in races. Likewise I would never have played WOW if I could only have played as a gnome or a goblin. 
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Depends which direction you approach things from. "Not generally that important" might be true, for a given person...yet I've heard literally hundreds of gamers express "I just can't play a <race>". The "cute" races seem to be particular anathema to teenage males, for instance. PVP players (many of them) won't play a "poncy" race like elves, etc.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

If a character doesnt look the way I want then im being forced to play a role I dont want to play.

Doesnt matter if its a fugly orc, a hot elf, alien elf(tes) or a human...but then again, I play RPGs because of the RP, not the G.

RPGs with character generators = yes.

RPGs with set characters = no thanks, youll get no money from me to support your limited game.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Not as important as it is to some; after all I played WoW for years and the character models weren't even advanced when it was created, much less now when you have models like TERA and GW2 out there.

However, I do like plenty of options, and sliders.  Variety is always good.