Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How important is the overall look of your character in a MMO

AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Just curious at peoples perspective on how much they care about their appearance in a MMO

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Comments

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Voted Not Important, but I suppose I do consider it a positive if my character looks cool and I love how more games are starting to let you customize your looks apart from your capabilities.

But I mean...I played Haven & Hearth and the weak art didn't really discourage me from enjoying a fairly fun sandbox.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

for people who say not important say it's a game with character models like scarlet blade or your only race choice were these two from TERA and say the game isn't what they currently are say it has the best aspects of every game you ever wanted to play minus the characters looks. Would you not play it just because of the character look?

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• SafoSafo Member UncommonPosts: 48

Cleanse them with FIRE... do it right now!

ARRRGHHH!!

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    I cared about look in City of Heroes.   In general, fun is more important than looks.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Of course it is important. We are talking about VIDEO games here.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

I've been told that I'm a male, and if I play a character that's female really awful things will happen.

So I guess that'd be pretty important then!?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

for people who say not important say it's a game with character models like scarlet blade or your only race choice were these two from TERA and say the game isn't what they currently are say it has the best aspects of every game you ever wanted to play minus the characters looks. Would you not play it just because of the character look?

holy cow. No I couldn't stand that, no... way... I've got a cuteness allergy. In fact that's not even cute, rather...scary.. in a disturbing way

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    More than I'm proud of. For me it's not so much how good I can make my toon look wit regards to face and clothes, but having the ability to look unique.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,534
    Important for me.
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

It depends on the style of the game.

I tend to care less about my characters appearance when all my work is going to be covered by armor.  The rare games where my appearance shows throughout the game (City of Heroes) it becomes more important to me.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• RossbossRossboss Member Posts: 240

Yeah, in fact, I've stopped playing certain characters because they do not look the way I intend them to look. I can't play short characters if the class is physical based unless I have an idea of the character and why the character is short. I like my background stories but sometimes it doesn't work for me. I'm not going to be a child as any kind of class, because there isn't really a reason to be a child unless you want to be the "Chosen One" sort of scenario. I only play mage-types as tall and skinny or short and stumpy. I only play physical classes as medium to tall and always on the heavier side.

It's how I enjoy the game. I would not play a game if they only offered little girls and raccoons as their races. Apperances are a heavy factor for me. We all react based on our first impressions of other players and having the right first impression in any use of time is important.

I played WoW up until WotLK, played RoM for 2 years and now Rift.
    I am F2P player. I support games when I feel they deserve my money and I want the items enough.
    I don't troll, and I don't take kindly to trolls.

Originally posted by dave6660

I tend to care less about my characters appearance when all my work is going to be covered by armor.  The rare games where my appearance shows throughout the game (City of Heroes) it becomes more important to me.

in this case say all the armor was dreadfull and not a single piece was visually pleasing to you at all.. would this cause you not to play the game if it was it's only major flaw to you?

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

in this case say all the armor was dreadfull and not a single piece was visually pleasing to you at all.. would this cause you not to play the game if it was it's only major flaw to you?

I would still play.  Graphics and art style are generally low on my list of things I look for in a game.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

I would still play.  Graphics and art style are generally low on my list of things I look for in a game.

for me if i can't make a visually pleasing character it's a very big  negative for me right out the gate.. now if everything else i find spectacular then maybe I could overlook it.. but overall to me character looks are very important.. not just for my character but for the game in general. If i can't stand the looks of everyone else around me including me it's very discouraging and puts a large dent in my view of the game.. guess i'm just shallow like that:P

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892

Voted important. However, I did get the title/achievment of "Vain" in Warhammer after dying my armor an incredible amount of times.

I was going to play a male character in the original Guild Wars but the "men" were done so horribly for my taste that I played women.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516
    If im gonna be staring at it for hours on end it better look good, and change up on a regular basis
  • LaromussLaromuss Member UncommonPosts: 331
    Not a big deal for an mmo or any game really.  But from an Artistic point of view and as a professional myself I hate to see teribble artwork (3D characters) that doesn't match with the art style of the game.  But from a gaming point of view it doesn't bug me at all, in fact I have a bad habit when it comes to making very ugly looking characters in games such as Mass Effect, Fall out etc.  So ugly that I can't even look at them and when I do say to myself "What the hell was I thinking".  In SWTOR I made super fat storm troopers, Jedi Consulars etc.
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    I don't really care what I look like. Although cutesy anime may irritate me if I stare at it long enough.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Voted important. However, I did get the title/achievment of "Vain" in Warhammer after dying my armor an incredible amount of times.

I was going to play a male character in the original Guild Wars but the "men" were done so horribly for my taste that I played women.

Vain title, that is funny!

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962

I found out that I often just stare at my character and think whether or not he or she looks good.

So I guess I'm one of those who cares.

Afterall, aren't we at least a little bit role playing by just playing with that character?

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Extremely important for me. If I could not create a character that I like in game, that is equal with uninstall.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Somewhat important.  The character should have enough of a distinctive look to reflect its personality.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121

I imagine this really depends on what you play MMOs for. I personally play them for the persistent customisation element of building a character that's unique to me. As such their appearance is very important to me. I'm not talking graphical quality though, I'm talking about their appearance within the style of the game.

The way I see it my character in an MMO is an extension of my ego (I usually only ever play one character) and as such if I can't find a way to make my character fit my personality I just can't get comfortable with them.

• RhinotonesRhinotones Member UncommonPosts: 250
    The way I see it is - if you're character looks horrible chances are the game will also look horrible. I chose the middle option as there are numerous aspects to a MMO that for me are far more important than what my character looks like. In fact, when I played WoW I ocasionally received whispers from strangers because my Undead Lock was so damn ugly. People couldn't understand why I wanted him to look that way. I guess that's why I'm in the minority for this poll.

Originally posted by Sevenstar61
    Extremely important for me. If I could not create a character that I like in game, that is equal with uninstall.

i agree and same for me.. unfortunatly swtor was one of those games were the characters look dreadfull to me... obviously tons don't mind and even like the look but it's honestly game breaking bad for me in this case since you spend so much time looking at your character:(