Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fair and balanced review after three months and 500 euro

ArchaegeoArchaegeo Member UncommonPosts: 233

I posted a review here: http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/77110-three-months-five-hundred-euro-a-fair-and-unbiased-analysis-of-the-game/

notee that the five hundred euro was by choice and not necessity.

Take a gander and let me know any questions you might have about this game.

Explorer 73% Achiever 53% Socializer 53% Killer 20%

Comments

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406
    500 .. holy crap!  :D
  • ArchaegeoArchaegeo Member UncommonPosts: 233
    MMO is my hobby.  I am a MMO dream customer :)

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

nice review - tho i have to say most of the things that bothered you dont bothered me (including the click fest, tho i think most of the players are bothered by it). what i dont/didnt like about wurm were e.g. timed things - like the fact that if you want to advance priest or meditation, you have to do that on timer, you have to harvest fields in pretty short window etc - these things "force" you to log in even when you are not in the mood for it.

also is rare and better items work as most of the people expect (also on timer windows) i hate it, i would like a lot more if it would be pure % base chance with every try.

edit: btw I have a question - I dont have any experiences with 3D programming - how would you program wurm as a 3d instead of 2d with height? what i am most curious about - how would you program multiple mining shafts in different depths (which is not possible in current wurm) without being forced to store HUUUUUUUUGE amounts of data about every inch of the world?

• ArchaegeoArchaegeo Member UncommonPosts: 233

There are a number of games doing it already, full 3d terraforming.

Salemis too cartoony and xyson not close to as developed as Wurm, but they do it.

that said,  could not see wurm doing it without a new engine.

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by Archaegeo

Salemis too cartoony and xyson not close to as developed as Wurm, but they do it.

and do you have any idea how to do it? i am interested as a programmer amateur :)

• HodoHodo Member Posts: 542
    Originally posted by Benedikt
    Originally posted by Archaegeo

and do you have any idea how to do it? i am interested as a programmer amateur :)

Wurm, unlike the Xsyon is coded in Java.  

Which gives it a different set of challenges but gave Rolf and Notch (creator of Minecraft).  

Notch was the primary world creator, he did most of the hard code for how the world worked in Java.   Rolf handled most of the server and network code.    The games development stalled for a while while Rolf came up to speed with the other half of the code.   When he did he did a good job of expanding the game a bit and hireing a new employee.   Since then Wurm has done a great job of getting a better look and some features that were asked for 3+ years ago.

Now about those bridges.

So much crap, so little quality.

• jfoytekjfoytek Member CommonPosts: 150
    Wurm is an amazing Sandbox!  The crafting is truelly a masterpiece, the depth of the game is really amazing....  If you can deal with a game that doesnt have high end graphics or a fast pace, but enjoy a slower more indepth paced game then wurm is for you!

UO,Shadowbane,SWG,Darkfall,MO,Wurm Online,Secretworld,GW,GW2,PotBS,LotR,Atlantica Online,WWII Online,WoT,Battlestar Galactica,Planetside2,Perpetuum,Fallen Earth,Runescape,WoW,Eve,Xsylon,Dragon Prophet, Salem

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

The things that annoy me most about Wurm are the old school players and support. I understand that they want this game to be realistic and hardcore but that has nothing to do with providing good customer support and help when needed.

1. The game is not hardcore at all. You can be self sufficient within a few hours of playing. There is no challenge at all. This argument is complete bollocks.

2. Hardcore stops when a paying customer needs help. No matter how hardcore you pretending to be, if a paying customer has a problem, you fix it.

3. Volunteer GMs are never a good idea. I understand the Indie nature of this game but when you take peoples money you provide service that is professional.

4. Glitches and Bugs that are treated as "features" since they exist for 10 years now and the elite wurms have gotten used to them. This does not work for new players and is quite frankly just an excuse to reduce support issues.

Part from that the game is very unique and enjoyable. But it certainly is not hardcore or a "survival sandbox", far from it.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"