Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA Bans Users for Asking for Refunds

BoudewijnsBoudewijns Member UncommonPosts: 162

have they sink that low?

no wonder i banned EA games for years, now u know why

http://www.gamechup.com/ea-refuses-to-refund-user-for-simcity-threatens-account-ban/

Comments

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    I'll have to go with EA on this one.
  • stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439
    Yes, if you have a pile of games in Origin (or Steam for that matter) and you violate their terms by having your bank reverse charges for a product you purchased, then yeah, you lose access to ALL your games in that service.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Originally posted by BitterClinger
    Yes, if you have a pile of games in Origin (or Steam for that matter) and you violate their terms by having your bank reverse charges for a product you purchased, then yeah, you lose access to ALL your games in that service.

yup, steam does this too.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

The chargeback abouse needs to stop. When it does there will be less of these "stories".

I'm not judging if the consumer was right or wrong in this case. My comment was more of an overall statement.

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689
    Originally posted by birdycephon

I'm not sure where I stand on this. Getting banned for doing a chargeback is a-ok in my book, but I really think they should be more willing to give out refunds when there are so many people having trouble playing. I mean, right now, Simcity's kind of a faulty product.

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

I feel really that this is TERRIBLE. People should get a refund for something they just ordered, particularly if the product/service they ordered is not working. The DRM or (make sure you buy stuff from us as a primary reason implimentation) is stupid as it is, but ignoring it, people buy a game to play it. A game thats single player like sim city there should be NO reason people have issues connecting and playing the game. NONE. 

People are entitled to a refund if they aren't able to enjoy a SINGLEPLAYER game just due to EA forcing it to be online for reasons primarily for milking people with cash shop who otherwise would cheat it in themselves outside sandbox. 

If people want a refund for NOT getting to play/use the service they paid for is not acceptable. They should be able to chargeback if they aren't getting what they paid money for.

• SurrealFieUpSurrealFieUp Member UncommonPosts: 19

I just posted a scathing review of this typical EA foul up.  Recommendation: Never buy from EA ie: SimCity
    Off-Topic Discussion « General Discussion

So tired of all of these game distributors getting one over on us, we continue to allow their abuse.  Feel like the US Government has a hand in it all because of the similarity.  Please read an comment on my Ban EA Games post.

Originally posted by Torvaldr

snip

I don't have a lot of sympathy for people who buy into EA knowing what this is like and then complain when it doesn't work.  I also don't have any sympathy for EA which has made the PR bed they're now lying in.

The truly ironic part of all this is that EA probably had little to do with the actual problem people are having right now. Maxis wanted help publishing their game, and EA provides that service to them.  However, when EA asked the folks at Maxis, "how many North American servers are you willing to lease?"  The answer Maxis came back with seems to be "Four".

They (Maxis) chose poorly.

• Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558

EA statement extends hands and offers if you want a refund, to go through support.

Support goes, "yeah, but eeeeh, naah. We're not doing refunds."

Seems incredibly legit. Very good business move. Very wise to support it.

• jedensuscgjedensuscg Member Posts: 209
    Originally posted by Psychow

The chargeback abouse needs to stop. When it does there will be less of these "stories".

I'm not judging if the consumer was right or wrong in this case. My comment was more of an overall statement.

No, the customer needs protection from shit companies like EA.  They have a right to get a WORKING product or their money back.

You don't go the store and buy a product and get home only to have it broken and be like, oh well. No you take that shit back the store and get a WORKING replacement or your money back.

A game is no different, you bought and paid for A WORKING GAME.  I know I did, yet I have barely been able to play for 3 hours in the last 3 days, and most of that time was a loss as my city never even saved.  You can't use the bullshit excuse "well it just released, let them fix it"  NO FUCK THAT.  Most of the issues they have in the game right now WERE IN BETA.  So they released a KNOWN broken product, yet never told the cusomters that they were getting a broken product and they would not get to play what they paid for for an undeclosed amount of time while they address the issues.

people really need to stop sticking up for Game companies who do EXACTLY what it is illegal to do in any other market, sell a knowingly faulty product for full price while leading the customer to believe they are buying a full and working product, and then refusing a refund when their shit does not work.

This is not charity, this is not some volunteer staff making a mod in their free time, this is a full priced, sellable product that was released as complete and working.  Yet it DOES NOT work for a large majority of people bought it.  I understand if someone just dropped SIXTY FUCKING DOLLARS on a game they CAN NOT PLAY.  These issues are not the customers computers or connections, they are rampant bugs or server issues that rest solely in EA's hands.

snip

I don't have a lot of sympathy for people who buy into EA knowing what this is like and then complain when it doesn't work.  I also don't have any sympathy for EA which has made the PR bed they're now lying in.

The truly ironic part of all this is that EA probably had little to do with the actual problem people are having right now. Maxis wanted help publishing their game, and EA provides that service to them.  However, when EA asked the folks at Maxis, "how many North American servers are you willing to lease?"  The answer Maxis came back with seems to be "Four".

Actually this is wrong, Maxis was aqquired by EA back in 1997.  ALL Maxis games since have thus been published by EA as Maxis is a SUBSIDARY of EA, and they also work from EA's studios.

People seem not to realize these days that companies like EA no longer just publish other people's game, but own a large majority of development companies out there.

In the case of Sims 3 and SimCity 5, they keep the Maxis name as a selling point, when the actual development team have long since been replaced by EA's cheaper workforce, and EA has all the say it how the game will be developed.  IN fact, Sims 2 did not even have the Maxis name anywhere on it, as EA wanted it to be an EA product.  Howver, they seem to have realized that people hate EA so they have began using alot of the original studios names more, to make players think EA was just "publishing", when in reality EA had it's hands in the entire development of the game.

Likewise, Will Wright, the man behind the original Simcity and Sims, and the founder of Maxis, was not even invovled in the creation of Simcity 5.  To me, Will Wright IS Maxis.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

The chargeback abouse needs to stop. 

Returning a defective product isn't abuse, it's justice.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

Originally posted by jedensuscg

snip

Actually this is wrong, Maxis was aqquired by EA back in 1997.  ALL Maxis games since have thus been published by EA as Maxis is a SUBSIDARY of EA, and they also work from EA's studios in Redwood City.

People seem not to realize these days that companies like EA no longer just publish other people's game, but the a large majority of development companies out there.

In the case of Sims and Sim City, they keep the Maxis name as a selling point, when the actual development team have long since been replaced by EA's cheaper workforce, and EA has all the say it how the game will be developed.

If everything you say is true, then I am right. If Maxis is the subsidiary, it doesn't matter that they use EA's outsourcer for development and customer support. Someone with a Maxis logo on his shirt still makes fundamental accounting decisions, such as how many servers they're willing to lease for launch.

Originally posted by Zekiah

Oh, I wasn't aware the CD was faulty or the digital key didn't work. Usually customers ask for a replacement instead of a credit card chargeback, at least the ones who are legitimatly trying to buy the game so they can play.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314

snip

Actually this is wrong, Maxis was aqquired by EA back in 1997.  ALL Maxis games since have thus been published by EA as Maxis is a SUBSIDARY of EA, and they also work from EA's studios.

People seem not to realize these days that companies like EA no longer just publish other people's game, but own a large majority of development companies out there.

In the case of Sims 3 and SimCity 5, they keep the Maxis name as a selling point, when the actual development team have long since been replaced by EA's cheaper workforce, and EA has all the say it how the game will be developed.  IN fact, Sims 2 did not even have the Maxis name anywhere on it, as EA wanted it to be an EA product.  Howver, they seem to have realized that people hate EA so they have began using alot of the original studios names more, to make players think EA was just "publishing", when in reality EA had it's hands in the entire development of the game.

Likewise, Will Wright, the man behind the original Simcity and Sims, and the founder of Maxis, was not even invovled in the creation of Simcity 5.  To me, Will Wright IS Maxis.

No, ur right, this is nothing like the original simcity. Its better. 

Oh, I wasn't aware the CD was faulty or the digital key didn't work. Usually customers ask for a replacement instead of a credit card chargeback, at least the ones who are legitimatly trying to buy the game so they can play.

This is a digital copy, there is no physical defect, however, the game STILL DOES NOT WORK.

Get it through your fucking heads people.  Just because the product you purchased is digital does not mean you have no rights when that does not work.

If you pay for a pay ver view movie and it does not work, you deserve a refund.

If you dropped $60 bucks on a digital download of a game, and the game is so fundemantally flawed that you are unable to play DUE TO THE COMPANIES fault (i.e not because the customers computer did not meet requirement, or has bad internet) then you deserve a refund.  EA is refusing to give out refunds, yet many people have YET to play the game since it was released.  There are articles on major gaming websites where the reivewer has yet to even be able to make a city in three days.  How is it NOT accepable to demand a refund when you bought a product have have NO IDEA when you will actually get to use it do to it being broken.  And when the company refuses a refund even though they released a known defective and unployable product (it was just as unplayable in Beta, but they assured us it would be fixed for release...yet same problem still rampant) a charge-back is your only recourse.

This is a digital copy, there is no physical defect, however, the game STILL DOES NOT WORK.

Get it through your fucking heads people.  Just because the product you purchased is digital does not mean you have no rights when that does not work.

If you dropped $60 bucks on a digital download of a game, and the game is so fundemantally flawed that you are unable to play DUE TO THE COMPANIES fault (i.e not because the customers computer did not meet requirement, or has bad internet) then you deserve a refund.  EA is refusing to give out refunds, yet many people have YET to play the game since it was released.  There are articles on major gaming websites where the reivewer has yet to even be able to make a city in three days.  How is it NOT accepable to demand a refund when you bought a product have have NO IDEA when you will actually get to use it do to it being broken.  And when the company refuses a refund even though they released a known defective and unployable product (it was just as unplayable in Beta, but they assured us it would be fixed for release...yet same problem still rampant) a charge-back is your only recourse.

Or just be patient and wait for the imminent fix to come and play then...

You need to read your license agreements, both with Origin and with your cable company. Where SimCity is concerned, you have purchased a "license to use", and it is Origin's position that you will be able to exercise that license in a very short amount of time.

My advise to you is to buy physical copies.  I've already processed my return, printed my return labels, dropped my game in the UPS box this morning, and am eagerly awaiting my credit from Amazon. No EA "bans", no chargebacks, and no problems.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

It never ceases to amaze me how so many gamers will go down with the ship in defense of defective or incomplete products but in any other industry it wouldn't be put up with. I have yet to see someone ok with a Big Mac missing the meat patties and told they'll get it later.

No wonder these companies continually walk all over their customers and release the crap they do.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558

It never ceases to amaze me how so many gamers will go down with the ship in defense of defective or incomplete products but in any other industry it wouldn't be put up with. I have yet to see someone ok with a Big Mac missing the meat patties and told they'll get it later.

No wonder these companies continually walk all over their customers and release the crap they do.

Ego-centric, where any wrongdoing is the fault of the customer and they weren't burned because they were just more intelligent.

Or obsession with the game, where they like it so much that any critique is viewed as a direct attack on the quality of the game.

Jaded attitude, people just raise their noses to it simply because of the more extremist and stupid actions of people in the past.

Wrong sense of "friendship," some people just think the company is some form of close friend that they must defend.

People honestly believing the company is in the right.

Or, (in)vested interests.

Just roll the dice and you decide.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Why would you go with EA on this one?

EA Offered a refund to those wanting one due to this fiasco. 

The player asked for a refund.

The CS rep told him no and that if he tries to dispute this his Origin Account will be banned without a refund (Thus losing all his/her other games). 

Going with EA on this one is pretty idiotic. 

“if you regrettably feel that we left you down, you can of course request a refund for your order.” Oh... you actually want one? Then never mind, forget what we said and F U! lol... 

I have. "no meat on your burger? I'm terribly sorry, here...let me replace it for you. Sorry for the inconvenience."

OMG...the customer didn't go into a rage, call his bank and ask for a chargeback. He didn't take photos of the burger and post them on-line. He just wanted his order to be right so he could eat his lunch...

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

I have. "no meat on your burger? I'm terribly sorry, here...let me replace it for you. Sorry for the inconvenience." "Oh wait, if you actually have us replace it we will ban you from ever returning"

OMG...the customer didn't go into a rage, call his bank and ask for a chargeback. He didn't take photos of the burger and post them on-line. He just wanted his order to be right so he could eat his lunch...

I fixed that for you so that it actually fit in with the situation. 

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

I have. "no meat on your burger? I'm terribly sorry, here...let me replace it for you. Sorry for the inconvenience." "Oh wait, if you actually have us replace it we will ban you from ever returning"

I fixed that for you so that it actually fit in with the situation. 

Haha