Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bite-size gaming .. the future of MMO?

nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

I was reading this article:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/03/06/neverwinter-days-the-allure-of-bite-sized-gaming/#continued

"the game model seems to have a lot more in common with lobby-based MMOs. That's not a coincidence, as Neverwinter originally began as such and was fleshed out into a more full-featured MMO at Perfect World's insistence."

And i think .. there is a lot of truth in this idea. Look at successful games (use xfire as a guide)

MMO: WOW & GW2

- both have options to let players jump in, play a bit, and accomplish something.

ARPG: D3, PoE

- again, can jump in and kill some stuff for even 15 min and get a chance of good drops.

PvP: LOL, PS2, WOT, DOTA2

- all can jump in and starting playing in seconds.

And the interesting thing is that these are not all instanced lobby. While instanced lobby is clear one design to enable bite-size gaming (hence, this feature is so popular, almost in all MMOs), there are other ways to do it.

For example, PS2 is a world pvp game. But once in the game, you can directly port to a hot spot, snipe a few enemies, and log out if you don't have much time.

MMO devs certainly should feel pressured by some of these non-MMOs where the playstyle can be quite similar to MMOs. It is a time to adapt and change.

Comments

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    As you said titles already have "short term" play into their games, and have for a while, so what are you referring to when you say it's time for change and adaptation? I don't get it.
  • WereLlamaWereLlama Member UncommonPosts: 246

Im a big fan of mmo's that have special consideration for players that only have 5 or 10 minutes to play at a time.

I think this trend has lots of value since more and more games, including mmo's, are moving to Mobile devices.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

How small of a time frame are we talking about here?  15 minutes, 10 minutes, 2 minutes?

At what point does it begin to get absurd?  Maybe there's a point where you have to say to yourself, "I don't have time to play video games right now".

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    I guessed the author of the thread from the title alone.
  • RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by dave6660

How small of a time frame are we talking about here?  15 minutes, 10 minutes, 2 minutes?

At what point does it begin to get absurd?  Maybe there's a point where you have to say to yourself, "I don't have time to play video games right now".

Or more specifically "I don't have time to play MMORPGs" 

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

playing long term or short term ahs nothing to do with having a big open world or a small lobby based game.

If i like the game and devs keep updating it and adding content ill play long term no matter how small or big the game is.

With that said, i personally think lobby based mmos are just lazy desings to avoid working on big worlds. Even 2D indie rpgs can have huge open worlds like any big 3D title. Theres no excuse at this point in time. Dont have enough resources? dont bother making incomplete mmos because thats just waiting your time and money as a developer and wasting our time as gamers.

Just my personal opinion. Open world (if done right) beats every lobby based mmorpg combined.

EDIT: keep bite-size gaming where it belongs. Celphones and tablets on the go.

• RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 828
    Playing the game in bite-sized chunks is all well and good if it is just dependent on the preference of the individual or the time they have available to play, but if it is due to lackluster game design that goes so far as to discourage any kind of long term play or lack immersion then it is just piss poor game design.
  • darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

Well I'm one of those 'time constrained' gamers.  Bite-size to me is something I can do in anything from 20 minutes to 1hour (where I usually try to play 2-3 hours a night).  While bite size gaming gives me the sense of achievement they have to balance it with a sense of growth.  this is where character progression and customization comes in.  

If I play the game for 20 minutes a day, I want to see a difference in my character growth a month from now.  If I look and play the same a month later it won't matter how fun the bite size content is because I'll lose interest in doing it due to value.

Neverwinter looks interesting and cant wait to try it out in the beta tommorrow.

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    McDonalds, jump in and eat something in seconds. Great food ? Not really.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by nariusseldon It is a time to adapt and change.

Or they could be more conservative with their budgets and goals, target the audience who wants something that fits over a grander scale of time and corner the market.

They would get my money for sure.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by Anthur
    McDonalds, jump in and eat something in seconds. Great food ? Not really.

Bad example since ordering something quickly isnt the same as eating it.  

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Now what we need is some android-based MMOs. Cuz you know that's where it's headed.
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

I don't see why we can't have short gaming sessions.

There is no reason why a game can't last years, but have whatever content broken up into smaller sections.

Dungeon runs that take hours to complete but can be broken up into many sections.  Quests are the same.  I can't see any downsides to having a short session be part of a longer experience.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • ArduArdu Member CommonPosts: 55

MMOs are always changing and involving which makes this market very competitive.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

I would say 15-30 min.

22 min is an episode of sitcom (without commercial).

Originally posted by birdycephon
    Now what we need is some android-based MMOs. Cuz you know that's where it's headed.

There are already iOS MMOs. I think some are available on andriod too.

Originally posted by rojo6934

Just my personal opinion. Open world (if done right) beats every lobby based mmorpg combined.

And it is my person opinion that many lobby based games are more fun than every open world MMORPG combined.

Originally posted by Ardu

MMOs are always changing and involving which makes this market very competitive.

The more interesting point is when MMO design are merging with other genre, or change to something else. Games like WOT, or GW1 . that has some MMO elements, but change the design enough into something else.

Now that is innovation and taking risks.

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

IMO if you come for 10 min it's not calls "playing game", I do it to check my account when I LEFT game but keep an eye on it.

if you have time only to do daily or so, you have plenty of games offering such *service*. also not sure how fun such gaming is, but can be helpful if you have real time on weekend but need some daily rewards.

sorry to tell, but if you don't have time better to play anything but not MMO, rather than try to make 15 min MMO, as such game will be boring like 15 min later, and will never invite you to grouping etc = not MMO genre.

all over I don't think we may need specific "lobby" MMO and can find what to do in 15 min with most of MMO (daily, craft, gather, bank / AH check).

game is something which need to keep you busy and giving fun same time, not something you doing by obligation in a rush... at least I see it like that.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by nariusseldon It is a time to adapt and change.

Or they could be more conservative with their budgets and goals, target the audience who wants something that fits over a grander scale of time and corner the market.

They would get my money for sure.

That's just not going to happen, apart from design mistakes or poor business decisions allowing it to happen.

The demand starts extremely low: few are able or willing to invest the time in a forced, long-session game.

Then the demand is reduced by the fact that existing products already reward long-session gamers!  I can do one 10-20 min WOW dungeon in a short session, or I can do an 8-hour marathon session and really advance my character.

The fredom of players to choose their session length is rewarded with better sales.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    Originally posted by birdycephon

Yeah, I think there is going to be some movement in that direction, though the bulk of MMORPGs will remain geared toward desktops.  Unlike consoles, you can make an Android game without having to give Google a large chunk of your revenue, so that won't be a barrier.  If you want decent 3D graphics, you may have to wait a bit for better hardware, but it's getting there.  A quad core ARM Cortex A15 together with whatever the top Imagination PowerVR Rogue graphics option will be would probably be pretty nifty for gaming on a tablet and have plenty of power to do quite a lot.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

To me, the bigger deal is not so much the minimum time requirement to do anything as the maximum.  I don't particularly care if I can do much in a five minute session; if I only have five minutes, I probably won't launch a game, and wouldn't even if the game were designed to be playable in five-minute chunks.  If half of the content requires you to set aside a 3 hour block of time, I find that completely game-breaking.

Originally posted by Axehilt

That's just not going to happen, apart from design mistakes or poor business decisions allowing it to happen.

The demand starts extremely low: few are able or willing to invest the time in a forced, long-session game.

Then the demand is reduced by the fact that existing products already reward long-session gamers!  I can do one 10-20 min WOW dungeon in a short session, or I can do an 8-hour marathon session and really advance my character.

The fredom of players to choose their session length is rewarded with better sales.

They, at least, get my sale. I found that it is good to be able to pop into say D3, and run act 3 keep 2 (which costs roughly 10 min) and get a farming run done.

The point is not that i only do 10 min run, but a game has highly fun factor if there is such an option. Often i have like 20 min before dinner .. and something like a 10-15 min quick session will be ideal.

If i have a longer period of time, i will do a 30 min mission in STO, or do a more complete run in D3.

But the point is that i won't play games that requires 3 hours long session (and the associated commitment) anymore.

MMOs, for their own good, is recognizing this trend and be more friend to people who like this style of gaming.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

I don't see why we can't have short gaming sessions.

There is no reason why a game can't last years, but have whatever content broken up into smaller sections.

Dungeon runs that take hours to complete but can be broken up into many sections.  Quests are the same.  I can't see any downsides to having a short session be part of a longer experience.

Yup, just like a SP game, have checkpoints within dungeons.  You should be able to reach checkpoints in 5-10 minutes so that if you only have a little while to play, you get to a checkpoint, your game is saved and you can log off.  If you log off before reaching a checkpoint, you go back to the last checkpoint you reached.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by Aelious
    As you said titles already have "short term" play into their games, and have for a while, so what are you referring to when you say it's time for change and adaptation? I don't get it.

Clever way of saying pro-Corpg

Philosophy of MMO Game Design