Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] EverQuest: Big News for the EverQuest Franchise

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Today marks a big day for EverQuest fans of all stripes. Sony Online Entertainment has made some significant changes to the free to play matrices in EverQuest and EverQuest 2 and laid to rest the permadeath rumor for EverQuest Next. See what else we discovered when talking with Dave Georgeson and then chat about it in the comments.

Once we’d cleared up the permadeath issue, it was on to the big news that restrictions on free to play EverQuest and EverQuest 2 accounts will be lifting in a big way.

“We didn’t like a lot of the logic we put in our free to play.” Georgeson said. “We were conservative and when we look back, we thought it was too restrictive.”

Read more of Suzie Ford's EverQuest: Big News for the EverQuest Franchise.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

very nice but gear restrictions are the most common complaint

in EQ2,

I'd like to see gear restrictions only for Fabled gear

• black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 258
    I don't care at all when there are gear and skill/spell tier restrictions. Those should have been the priority.
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    None of these lifted restrictions will help me to log in and play my max lvl toon.  The system was already good enough for alts so...this isn't really much news to get excited about.
  • Rommie10-284Rommie10-284 Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Without gear and spell restrictions dropped, you are still running a limited character.  It's a step forward, but not good enough.  You need carrots for paying, not sticks to beat the free players down.  Hopefully SOE can figure it out before EQNext.

• AtmaDarkwolfAtmaDarkwolf Member UncommonPosts: 353

Meh, seems to be a vain attempt to squeeze more cash(IE cash shop) from 'new' players...

Sadly, EQ is dead, EQ2 is not too far behind, just let it go and move on.(Chances are 'next' will just be a rehashed version of both before right?)

• DJMantissDJMantiss Member Posts: 100

I have to agree here, the artifical limiters for all races/classes within EQ2 still exists. That alone is why myself and many others refuse to play EQ2 as a F2P and sadly the game isn't worth a sub.

The ability limiter really and I mean really effects characters in both solo and group play. Unforunately this stifles the enjoyment of the game, to a point where I'm just waiting for EQnext and even then I hope Sony has learned a lot from the quirky and awkward combat that EQ2 has.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

So Sony and Semd are still playing head games. If they have to outright lie to get attention for EQN guessing that doesn't speak very highly about the upcoming game.

As for lifting of F2P restrictions they still kept the worst one. If you want to equip anything much stronger then a rusty dagger  you have to pay. They could have kept some of the other and dropped this, but as long as they have this restriction they have you by the balls. "Oh look! You just got a nice loot drop, now pay us to equip it!"

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

too late....

and gear restriction still exist for legendary (fabled i dont mind ,but legenderay come on)

SoE even changed some crafted gear from MC to MClegendary >.>

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Mardukk
    None of these lifted restrictions will help me to log in and play my max lvl toon.  The system was already good enough for alts so...this isn't really much news to get excited about.

And they dont care, they dont want you to be a freeloader at max level.  they expect their max level players to sub.

The people that are upset about the gear restrictions really arent the target audience.  Maybe this is why that the communities have remained fairly strong since f2p whereas other games have suffered a bit.

Turbine method: nickel and dime.  intended for a steady stream of income off f2pers

SoE method: sub based.  limited money made off f2pers, instead more focused on making people want to sub.

They would rather have 100k people paying 15 per month, as opposed to having 300k people paying 5 per month

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Can't really complain about more free stuff, I guess.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446
    Originally posted by winter

So Sony and Semd are still playing head games. If they have to outright lie to get attention for EQN guessing that doesn't speak very highly about the upcoming game.

As for lifting of F2P restrictions they still kept the worst one. If you want to equip anything much stronger then a rusty dagger  you have to pay. They could have kept some of the other and dropped this, but as long as they have this restriction they have you by the balls. "Oh look! You just got a nice loot drop, now pay us to equip it!"

I have to agree with you there.  Eq2 is my favorite game, however this publicity stunt was just awful.

• nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501

boo hoo, complain, complain, complain, basically I summed up every post in this thread...........

I just for the life of me cannot understand why I keep coming to this site its nothing but negativity......

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    if they drop gear and spell tier restrictions how would they make ANY money off non-subscribers?
  • BeilochBeiloch Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

And they dont care, they dont want you to be a freeloader at max level.  they expect their max level players to sub.

The people that are upset about the gear restrictions really arent the target audience.  Maybe this is why that the communities have remained fairly strong since f2p whereas other games have suffered a bit.

People tend to forget they don't want players that don't give them money.

Simply 'having players' isn't good enough. Having players paying nothing or even much less than $15 a month just isn't very motivating. 'Oh gee you wanna play but give us less than 15 measly dollars a month? Let me bend over backwards for you....' Although for a game with pathetic content pushes (no xpac label worthy pushes or even big GU's) basically running one level above maintenance mode customers who give them very little is actually worthwhile.

I love the krono system though. I basically subscribe to all SoE games in full by buying kronos in EQ2. I haven't spent a dime on them in months and I get full access, people spent cash for me via the kronos hehe.

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824
    Originally posted by TribeofOne
    if they drop gear and spell tier restrictions how would they make ANY money off non-subscribers?

cosmetic items? but wait that would actually require SOE to do real work for once, so that's off the table.

the funny thing is that EQ2 had microtransactions when it was still a sub based game. SOE's greed knows no bounds, and the fans that they nickle and dime have deep wallets

Originally posted by Torvaldr

Gear unlocks are just a small part of the store.  There is a ton of stuff in there.

I agree with Nadia, keep the Fabled unlock and drop the Legendary unlocks.  You can easily level in Legendary gear/skills.  Paying a couple bucks per character to unlock Fabled wouldn't be that bad if all of the Fabled drops were really worth it.

that just wouldn't work. there has to be hard incentive to spend SOME money. Absolutely free is just not feasible , you'd be essentially making the subscribers carry you.
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

About time that the EQ/EQ2 Pay2BAllowed2Play changed. One of the main reasons I never went back was that after subscription and a lot of bags/bank-slots you kinda were left out in the cold with a lot of stuff you had stored but could not really use.

Time to go back to EQ2..? Nah... I took a Station Pass just the other day and am playing already (along with VG as well)

<--- time to change the siggy I think...

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Nadia

very nice but gear restrictions are the most common complaint

in EQ2,

I'd like to see gear restrictions only for Fabled gear

gear restriction and skills restriction are the reason im not playing EQ2 and Vanguard. Not sure if they relieved those in VG

so youll spend money on things you WANT(fluff) but not on things you think you NEED( gear unlocks,inv space, etc)
  • EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Damn i just sub to EQ2, I hate f2p model.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Etherignis
    Damn i just sub to EQ2, I hate f2p model.

not a problem buddy, thats why they give options to everyone. The more options the better.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

Turbine method: nickel and dime.  intended for a steady stream of income off f2pers

SoE method: sub based.  limited money made off f2pers, instead more focused on making people want to sub.

They would rather have 100k people paying 15 per month, as opposed to having 300k people paying 5 per month

Wha?  Most companies would want more people paying $5...it's an MMO the last time I checked.  More people to play with the better.

Good system for low level alts.  Much better than the joke that is Turbine's system (no quests lol).

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    More MMOs need to make this move. This market is changing and so should how we pay.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    that just wouldn't work. there has to be hard incentive to spend SOME money. Absolutely free is just not feasible , you'd be essentially making the subscribers carry you.

i agree w you that SOE needs to make cash too

but one of the confounding factors is

all gear from DOV forward  (an expansion that is 2 years old) is legendary or Fabled

there is no treasured quest gear in DOV or Chains of Eternity

- give ftp players the option to wear *something* from those expansions

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

While its nice to see they are lifting some of the restrictions I really find it amazing that they not only had, but are keeping the worst one...

Chat restrictions. Nothing like trying to suck a player into a new MMO by not allowing him to talk to anyone but those near him...community is everything and limiting access to that is what drives more people from these paytraps calling themselves F2P.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson