Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Scarlet Blade: Scarlet Blade... Really?

Comments

• Zen_BladeZen_Blade Member UncommonPosts: 106
    Originally posted by Popori
    I can only hope it supports mouseless control.

Kinect for Windows support please! =)

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    We choose what to fill our minds with, sadly next statement makes for a case against violent movies and games.... When you fill your mind with the violent or sexual thoughts, you want to make them a reality. Most of us can differentiate between right and wrong and it stops there. Some of us can't though. It doesnt have to be extreme either. I know on a day im filling my mind with hate and violence and been exposed to the sexual nature of these games, I tend to lose my ability to focus and make radical statements even on thses forums. Whats to stop the next guy from taking it further and the next even further....
  • Zen_BladeZen_Blade Member UncommonPosts: 106
    Also it's not Hentai, that's outright animated sex.  This is 'fanservice', which is common in the Japanese anime/manga culture.  Anyway, it won't be a huge mark on the industry, there are lots of games for a reason.  No one has the same tastes.  Choices are good and I personally don't think having some more mature games is a bad thing.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Zen_Blade
    Also it's not Hentai, that's outright animated sex.

Does that require a 12-foot, 500 pound sword, or just tentacles?

Is the Giant Robot just special equipment, or does he actually take part?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• CypeqCypeq Member Posts: 66
    I've watched some material and It doesn't look much worse than TERA
  • JaszJasz Member UncommonPosts: 67
    I read an "actual" review on another site and they had nothing but good things to say about the game. They even said it's use of all female charaters was justified in the story, which they described as deep and engauging. It's obvious they are using sex to sell the game. This is a tactic used by most eastern developers. Aion has an AV model as thier official spokesperson, Maria Osawa. I have no interest in themepark games so I will not be playing SB, but this article is a hypocritical joke.
  • mikunimanmikuniman Member UncommonPosts: 375

too much boob for you?  Magic, elves, dwaves, orcs & creatures of every shape and color are ok? Realism in an mmo, it's a fantasy mmo anything goes.

so the beach volleyball game girls learned martial arts, not so far fetched in my tweaked mind..

• dimasokdimasok Member UncommonPosts: 183
    Whi cares? I loved Tera and thats even better. [mod edit]
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by dimasok
    Whi cares? I loved Tera and thats even better.  [mod edit]

We make fun of it, and they show up to defend it. Normal fanboy behavior all around, jes?

I'm actually minorly amazed this title's pulled down three(?) mmorpg.com articles so far. Not bad for an asian title, they must be putting some ad revenue into this one.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• youngloenoeyoungloenoe Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Let me see if I understand this. So you have a problem with the way females are being depicted, I see. Yet, so many other games have had the same portraits of females before, no one complained. There are games out there of people and animals dying, reckless behavior and driving, yet the issue becomes ridiculous when women are displayed in skimpy outfits?  
  • KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    Liar!

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Bill... Did you REALLY have to start this??...<double face palm> 

Now we will no doubt hear from the PC brigade about the "injustice" of this silly game, and then from the fans of bouncing boobs (Baghdad Bob Mode: ON   Of course I don't like those!!... ^^).  It will cycle back and forth until MikeB or one of the mods either starts deleting posts or locks the thread.

But what would any of that achieve?? Neither side is going to actually listen to the other, and both sides have so many bias factors, that they might as well be speaking entirely different languages.  That being the case, why not just ignore such things and go about our business?

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by Wraithone

Neither side is going to actually listen to the other, and both sides have so many bias factors, that they might as well be speaking entirely different languages.  That being the case, why not just ignore such things and go about our business?

Some men just like to watch the world burn, Wraith. ;)

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,003
    It's actually not a bad game, just can't really take it seriously.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

I can think of another game that was a huge step backwards for the industry and it involved EA.

This?  Come on !?!

We see more boobies at the SuperBowl Halftime show.

• WinterclawWinterclaw Member Posts: 28

When I read Blake's column, at first I thought it was a lie simply because games of this nature have nothing to do with gameplay.  But he seemed passionate about the chance for it to be a real game and while I don't necessarily think it's true, having good gameplay will make it more money.  Part of the reason TERA went F2P is because there wasn't much to do in that game.  So it stands to reason that like some fighting games, there might be something good under the hood.

About the game being a step backwards in terms of boobage, isn't it a bit hypocritical for a liberal society that encourages all forms of sexuality, openness, and accpectance get angry when someone does just that?  If you ask me, people that push for gays to marry, open sexuality, and an end to traditional values but shreik when there's a boob, even for breastfeeding, have issues.

Yes this game is oversexualized, but isn't that the point?   Shouldn't it by the same progressive attitude that encourage men and women to do want they want to, be appaulded because frankly some guys and a few girls might like to play virtual dress up slut every now and then?   Sometimes females want to play the boothbabe and get a little attention.

This constant picking and choosing what suits you at the moment is one of the  things I hate most about progressive attitudes.  Telling someone they can't play virtual dress up is the same thing as telling women to get back in the kitchen and gays to get back in the closet and get out of gaming.   You want to do that?  Fine, but be consistant about it.  You want to complain about boobs?  Fine, complain about gays and athiests.  You want more gays and  gory deaths?  Fine, but accept big bouncy boobs.

Furthermore, this game isn't repersentative of the whole of gaming.  For every TERA, Scarlet Blade, or Dead or alive, you get a few games like EVE, GW2, Civilization, or deboobed Tomb Raider reboot.   If anything, the industry has a  whole doesn't make a ton of slutty games.   Outside of fighting games, most of the top sellers and critically acclaimed games are usually good at avoiding oversexualized males and females.  SB will probably be neither. 

You aren't being forced to play this game or pay for it, so just ignore it; there's a 95% chance it'll suck and die on its own.  There's is a price to the freedom of  people being able to make the games they want to: every now and then, a few games will be made that you don't like.  Don't buy those games.  I don't like EA, so I don't buy their games.  But there are companies I do like so that means I can spend more on them. 

And if some people want to play this game, who are you to judge them?

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to decide if I'd rather play Wraith of the White Witch or Crusader Kings 2.

• BTrayaLBTrayaL Member UncommonPosts: 624
    Originally posted by bliss14
    Leisure Suit Larry anyone?   This game is a breath of fresh air.  They are really pushing the boundaries.  Stretching them to their utmost until they almost break.  This game looks to be two or maybe three sizes bigger and better than any other.   No skimpy storylines here.  I hope they have ironed out all the kinks.

Made my day!

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361

I agree Bill, the Guys who play Call of Duty including the Franchise are pretty ignorant, and sexist about such things. You'd be amazed how ignorant some of these young guys are. Some of them just have a hatred of woman because their girlfriend cheated on them and left them. So they generalize that all woman are useless and belong in a kitchen.

Here's a good read --> http://www.webpronews.com/call-of-duty-female-gamer-records-her-experiences-with-sexism-2011-11

It's sad we are in 2013 and we still have people out there who are stuck in the stoneages.

• BelegStrongbowBelegStrongbow Member UncommonPosts: 296

Honestly,  imagine a GREAT game with these kind of sex sells tactics.  

its genious, and I know I would play it.  Whether you like it or bash it,  Im american and I agree this article is very american.  Where all our media is blood and gore,  we take out the whips for woman equal rights.  

Yet japan and china,  Anime and Hentai or just standard Naruto/bleach,  Its all about big tits and sex apeall and I F**ing love it.  

What sucks about this game is its going to be a crappy F2P port, with terrible overused mechanics and nothing original to the MMO scene.  

Personally,  I know we all have our dream MMOs we want to make,  Im gonna make my males and females sexy as hell with no shame.  

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    I see no problem. If people want to play this game, then by all means, they have evry right to.
  • LunarpacLunarpac Member UncommonPosts: 57
    Thanks to all these "oh-no-check-this-out"-articles regarding the game, its getting a buttload of coverage. Unlike certain in-game bodyparts. Not sure if either of those two things are positive.
  • MechanismMechanism Member UncommonPosts: 143
    Add a few comments about corrupting our children and this will fit right on fox news
  • trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361
    Originally posted by Four0Six

You rail against this game, but keep or used to keep Playboy mags in your closet?

I am the husband to a wonderful wife and a father to the most amazing daughter ever. I too agree that the objectifcation of women is in bad taste at a minimum.

But....untill I hear you decry SI and their swimsuit issue, or Playboy, or the GoDaddy.com adds, the claims you make against this or any other game that contains scantily clad women, are lip service paid to the cause. For shame. I say again For shame.

I like most all of what you have to say Bill Murphy, but I lean on a leg of integruity, either stand against all objectification, of hush up.

I think a lot of you Americans on here either have Mental Illness, or  a serious comprehension problem when reading things on the internet, because Playboy, and Swimsuit magazines have absolutly nothing too do with this article, or woman and gaming. Bill wasn't being rude at all and was simply stating his opinions. It's a free country and he can write whatever he wants on here. If you don't like it then go live in a communist Country.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

This is exactly the sort of game I hate: use of sex to sell. I will definitely vote with my wallet and never pick this up. I also refuse to play a game that depicts women in this way and I loathe the idea of playing only female characters.

I am also sick of how women are portrayed in the media, in art, in advertizements. I am just so sick of it.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• SlukjanSlukjan Member UncommonPosts: 265
    I like seeing sexed up women looking all hot. What's wrong with that?