Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Laughable DRM Sim City 5

Comments

• MarirranyaMarirranya Member Posts: 154

damn.

i really wanted to buy this coz i thought it was single-player that has multi-player functions as well like Civ V

you have to be logged into an online server in order to play it now???

zzz the reason why i play these games is because the net usually fucks up or something

There are people who play games and then there are gamers.

http://alzplz.blogspot.com

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by drebian
    Originally posted by Jyiiga

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUl_Cj2_KWU

I have not bought it, but I find a 30 min line to play a single player game hilariously terrible. 

I do not intend to buy this game solely because of this style of DRM. I've been burned in the past with this style...

Anyone here ever buy Darkspore? Same DRM style... Try installing it now and playing it. You can't because the servers were brought offline permanently... I refuse to buy a game and have a chance that I can't enjoy it later if I want simply because a company realizes how expensive keeping their DRM enforcement in place costs them...

I, personally, have no problem with DRM. It does reduce the number of pirated games, but this is just going too far. Maybe they should do it like Anno 2070. If you don't want to play online (or can't) have a button below the play button for an offline mode. Then when you have access or the desire to play online, do so. I play online Anno 2070 quite frequently with my roommate and older brother. That system works for me. I already expect people to come on here bashing why Anno is such a garbage game or why their DRM system sucks so much, but I'm putting out my opinion. Nothing you say or do can change it...

*EDITED due to typos*

I agree with you. It's a pity, since SImCity seems not too bad, but for all the reasons you mentions I don't support it.

Oh and with 548 1-star votes on Amazon and 1218 Metacritic ratings making 2.1 of 10, I guess it's no longer "just a few trolls." It's a fucking catastrophe.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246
    Originally posted by olepi

A single player game, where you have to be logged into an online server in order to play it??

BWAHAHAHA!

Indeed.  Entertaining, no?

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

I rather play Cities XL than SimCIty 5.

Atleast in XL the maps are huges and you can do many things and much cheaper.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/231140/?l

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
    Originally posted by Torgrim
    Originally posted by Starpower
    Originally posted by nilden

Yeah they also had this issue. http://kotaku.com/simcity/

Oh and on Metacritic that user score is 2.9 right now. http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/simcity

I did not buy it and EA can die.

I'm not saying your reasons for not buying EA products isn't a valid one but quoting metacritic is laughable at best and downright pathetic at worst. You have people voting who never have and never will play it. I'd much rather somebody gave an opinion based on .. you know.. actually having played the game?

Try read some of them posts at metacritic and tell me if they haven't played it.

Yeah I can't really defend anything at this point. This is pretty bad

• dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271

It's just DRM, ffs. Get used to it - it's here to stay.

I hate it when people judge games based on initial DRM issues (server overloads etc.). Same bullshit happened with Diablo 3 and countless other games.

I have no actual opinion regarding Sim CIty 5 as I haven't played it yet (nor do I intend to), but find this whole DRM business quite unfair.

Metacritic userscores are a failed concept; until they lockout user reviews til *AT  LEAST* two weeks after initial release, they're completely and utterly IRRELEVANT.

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

Meh, I havent brought a EA game for a long time whit the exception of sw:tor <- mistake ..

I do play EA games, I just find other ways to get the games I might like and play whitout DRM, aint like i play games for their multiplayer anyway, that I got MMO's for.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
    Originally posted by dimnikar

Maybe you should tell that to those who have been able to play since the 5th only to experience the servers being down most of the time then up the next only to be brought down again. DRM isn't the problem. DRM that causes such an inconvenience for a game that shouldn't need an online requirement is quite frankly rediculous

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

It's not DRM at all. These systems do not work and they manage no-ones digital rights. Well beside pissing off legit costumers, but that is not the way you want your digital right to be managed I guess. I understand and support the poeple who complain. I however do not mind it much as I do not pay for a subscription. I can ensure you that I and other legit consumer are waiting to play while the pirates are enjoying the game, with happen a countless times (Settlers for example).

I expected it and do not worry about it however I do hope it not here to stay and if it is then please they need to get there stuff together and stop messing up. After so many launches, how do they still mess this up? Same with MMO's and launches how is the server load still unexpected?

Maybe you should tell that to those who have been able to play since the 5th only to experience the servers being down most of the time then up the next only to be brought down again. DRM isn't the problem. DRM that causes such an inconvenience for a game that shouldn't need it is quite frankly rediculous

The game should have had an offline mode. I really do not understand how they still believe this actually helps against piracy. I think this might actually push poeple to illigally download games with these type of DRM. 

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    Originally posted by Jyiiga

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUl_Cj2_KWU

I have not bought it, but I find a 30 min line to play a single player game hilariously terrible. 

Was thinking on buying it, thanks for the heads up, not buying it now.

• DarthMajinDarthMajin Member Posts: 92
    EA is having it's problems with the servers because they simply didn't expect the sales they got. The servers will be fixed and stuff will run smooth. The game itself is downright amazing. As far as everyone whining about the DRM, SimCity is NOT a single player game. You get 2 options, to play publicly ONLINE with random people or to play in a private ONLINE region where you can just invite your friends. The whole game is online. No offline, singleplayer element to it. I'm not a big fan of EA but I love this game and I will wait patiently until the problems are fixed, not like I was gonna play this game for a week and then stop, it's here to stay for me.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

I hate it when people judge games based on initial DRM issues (server overloads etc.). Same bullshit happened with Diablo 3 and countless other games.

And it will continue to happen as long as people continue to buy these games and say "It's just DRM, ffs. Get used to it."

If the gamers say "Fix your shit or you don't get my money," then the devs are pressured to fix it. Until then, the devs know that they can still release with DRM that does this.

There will be a heavier load that first week. It costs them money to properly support it, however, if it doesn't hurt sales to ride it out, they'll save the money and continue to let it happen. It's just smart business on their part.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

And it will continue to happen as long as people continue to buy these games and say "It's just DRM, ffs. Get used to it."

If the gamers say "Fix your shit or you don't get my money," then the devs are pressured to fix it. Until then, the devs know that they can still release with DRM that does this.

There will be a heavier load that first week. It costs them money to properly support it, however, if it doesn't hurt sales to ride it out, they'll save the money and continue to let it happen. It's just smart business on their part.

Yes but it is evil. Gamers are addicts. They BUY their game even if they have to literally live from water and bread. I know enough such people. Gaming isn't a hobby like knitting or bowling where you change to another bowling club if you don't like yours. If there is a new SimCity or a new Civilization or a next DragonAge or another Star Wars game, people WILL buy it, no matter how trashy, shitty and broken it is. They will curse it and put needles in voodoo dolls looking like the devs, but they will buy it because gamers are addicted to their games. Developers know this and don't care if the drug is rotten, because they know their customers will buy the rotten drug anyway.

Sorry to be so blunt, but that's how I see it.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• marksteelemarksteele Member UncommonPosts: 60

A few things I wanna mention.

1) I did buy the game, its super addicting...when you can play it

2) its nearly impossible to play it

3) Its only been 2 days since launch, give maxis and EA time to fix stuff, at least the game is playable at times...thats more than I can say for some games at launch.

4) If a week passes and the issues are still there, THEN I can understand people complaining about the DRM failing.

5) the reason there is a small city size is beucase of the 1:1 simulation. Most games are a simulation of a simulation, this isnt

That being said, although a lot of the issue is DRM the fact is anything outside of your city (regional and world simulation) takes place on EA's servers. Thats why they are being overloaded. So while I don't agree with their choice, I wanted to clarify its not JUST DRM that requires always online.

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

Not a big deal people! EA is a gret company, they will get this fixed soon! They thank everyone who payed full price for the game! Just be patient everything all right!

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Originally posted by BrooksTech
    Originally posted by Uhwop

It's been a pain to play, but holy crap it's an awesome game. 

I can suffer through the release pains, very worth it. 

I am with you!

Complaints about always on DRM on an MMO forum... it makes me smile.  MMO's invented always on DRM... and guess what? Its effective.

I don't mind, the game is fun.

yeah its effective, they never ever make a pirated server or free server of mmo games..... oh wait....

also comparing a MMO with a single player game? yeah that is the thing who make me smile

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Briansho

Not a big deal people! EA is a gret company, they will get this fixed soon! They thank everyone who payed full price for the game! Just be patient everything all right!

I was reading that and was confused. I thought, "That doesn't seem very Briansho."

...and then the image loaded. :)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Coman

It's not DRM at all. These systems do not work and they manage no-ones digital rights. Well beside pissing off legit costumers, but that is not the way you want your digital right to be managed I guess. I understand and support the poeple who complain. I however do not mind it much as I do not pay for a subscription. I can ensure you that I and other legit consumer are waiting to play while the pirates are enjoying the game, with happen a countless times (Settlers for example).

I expected it and do not worry about it however I do hope it not here to stay and if it is then please they need to get there stuff together and stop messing up. After so many launches, how do they still mess this up? Same with MMO's and launches how is the server load still unexpected?

Maybe you should tell that to those who have been able to play since the 5th only to experience the servers being down most of the time then up the next only to be brought down again. DRM isn't the problem. DRM that causes such an inconvenience for a game that shouldn't need it is quite frankly rediculous

The game should have had an offline mode. I really do not understand how they still believe this actually helps against piracy. I think this might actually push poeple to illigally download games with these type of DRM. 

one of the reasons why its online is because the game needs it, some of the game runs on your pc, some of it runs on the server, which is why no matter how many times the game is pirated, the pirated copies will not work as the client side is not enough on its own for the game to play, you also need the server software, and im guessing thats not downloadable from anywhere. One of the side effects of this is that the game probably runs on a lower spec system than it might otherwise. image

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by Coman

one of the reasons why its online is because the game needs it, some of the game runs on your pc, some of it runs on the server, which is why no matter how many times the game is pirated, the pirated copies will not work as the client side is not enough on its own for the game to play, you also need the server software, and im guessing thats not downloadable from anywhere. One of the side effects of this is that the game probably runs on a lower spec system than it might otherwise. image

I promise you that you are wrong lol... 

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    Originally posted by Phry

Settlers 7 took 4 days befor an emulator was created to emulate the server. That server also "held" game vital components for the game. It clearly did not work.

Driver Sand Francisco took about 22 days. In a case like this some of the pirates might decide to buy the game after all, but I doubt they generate more money from that then the cost of the always on feature.

Just ask Ubisoft why they stoped using it.

Also there are private servers for WoW and such. You can not download that either and I am sure that is harder to emulate then the SimCity server. 

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    I like this genre of game, and like Sim City.  However, there is no way I am every buying an EA game again.  Cities XL seems like the only option now which I already have.  For DRMs, the always on is not that difficult to deal with since I am always online anyway.  The problem I have with this scheme is that EA has built an overcomplicated system that prevents playing unlike Steam's always on drm.
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by Briansho

The real Baghdad Bob would have used MUCH more over the top responses. 

Such as; "Lies all lies!! The EA servers are not overloaded! No one is having any problems connecting! If they do, it is because their systems are too weak to handle the glory that is an EA game! There are currently more than 300 million people in happy connection to the EA servers!"... ^^

I must say I miss the vast entertainment of listening to the Iraqi minister of "information" ramble on... ^^

http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/jokes/bljoke-iraqinfominister.htm

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • itsbigmikeitsbigmike Member Posts: 86

I enjoy the game.....WHEN I can play it

I'm not a fan of the servers crashing and wiping out my last 2 hours or so of work however.

Might just take a break and let them fix their crappy servers for a week or 2.

twitch.tv/boonmackle

• RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 829