Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Things from new MMO's you'd like to see in CU?

drakon3drakon3 Member Posts: 114

I realize this is hailed as a return to the time when MMO's were great (for our crowd anyways).  But I got to thinking, there are certain things I never want to go back to doing.

1.  Autoloot.  Nothing frustrates me more than not having time to double-click that loot bag before I die.

2.  Mobile app.  I've been waiting for an MMO that has a great mobile app.  The Rift and WoW ones each have some good points.  I want something that allows me to check the realm war in real time, chat, do guild funcations, manage my characters, maybe even do a little crafting, and includes an authenticator.

Comments

• NanulakNanulak Member UncommonPosts: 372

I do like autoloot with filters.  So I can only pick up what I want / need.  Also MMO designers need to be cognizant of repetitive motion health concerns.  The less clicking a game requires the better.

Mobile apps are good but not a game breaker for me.

Another feature I find helpful is Follow.  Now I know there are many reasons to not have this feature but there are a few legitimate ones to include it.  For example most good games have large maps and a lot of travel time involved.  And using follow to take a break away from the keyboard is always a good thing.  Not to mention this can help reduce repetitive motion injuries.  But I think this should be tempered by including triggers that break follow like initiating combat etc.  Because we all know we don’t want botting mechanics built into the game.

Nanulak

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by grogstorm

I do like autoloot with filters.  So I can only pick up what I want / need.  Also MMO designers need to be cognizant of repetitive motion health concerns.  The less clicking a game requires the better.

I'd rather they just get rid of junk loot entirely.

You make me like charity

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    Originally posted by grogstorm

I'd rather they just get rid of junk loot entirely.

absolutely.  something that has bothered my for a while.  why do i have to fill my bags up with 'soiled rags'.  just have the mob drop more coin instead.

• Plastic-MetalPlastic-Metal Member Posts: 405
    I really like the idea of authenticators as an added level of personal account security.

My name is Plastic-Metal and my name is an oxymoron.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Time based skill progression.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • KvalandurKvalandur Member Posts: 31

Since Mark has mentioned this game I'm sure he's aware of these things already. It would be cool to see them in CU. from Archeage --->

The ability to harvest seeds and plant trees which eventually grow into harvestable material. This would be cool for crafters, Druids, and those in charge of keep defense!  They could plant trees that force an enemy into certain areas, or force the enemy to cut the trees down alerting you to their presence.

The ability to raise animals!  It would be especially cool to be able to breed animals similar to SWGs Bioengineer. Perhaps not cross breeding, although that would be fun. At lease being able to breed animals for color, size, common traits like that.

(This is from an old game actually) --->

The ability to write on scrolls and in books, then trade or leave these items for others to find or pick up.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

Permadeath!

Corpse Loot!

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

I like the way you can pick a dye scheme in GW 2 then save it and it will be automatically applied to any new gear you equip.

Character and guild names in GW 2 are game wide rather than only for a server. That takes a lot of the hassle out of server transfers (and yes there will need to be server transfers because every server won't automatically be 33%/33%/33%).

GW 2 is one of the few MMOs I've played that lets you save your password on the login screen so you don't have to type it in every time you play. Do that.

I'd like to see a variation on the dodge ability you see in GW 2 and some other games. Make it a defend ability instead that increases your ability to block, parry, and evade by, say, 50% for a very short duration.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• Niix_OzekNiix_Ozek Member Posts: 397
    Originally posted by meddyck

I like the way you can pick a dye scheme in GW 2 then save it and it will be automatically applied to any new gear you equip.

Character and guild names in GW 2 are game wide rather than only for a server. That takes a lot of the hassle out of server transfers (and yes there will need to be server transfers because every server won't automatically be 33%/33%/33%).

GW 2 is one of the few MMOs I've played that lets you save your password on the login screen so you don't have to type it in every time you play. Do that.

I'd like to see a variation on the dodge ability you see in GW 2 and some other games. Make it a defend ability instead that increases your ability to block, parry, and evade by, say, 50% for a very short duration.

Seriously? Too lazy to dye new gear you get? It's not like you're going to get new gear all the time? Seems very very lazy to me lol

Ozek - DAOC
    Niix - Other games that sucked

• EllyaEllya Member Posts: 99

I rather like the Diplomacy skill from Vanguard.  I'm not sure how it would fit into a non-PVE game, but I'm sure even great armies need diplomats occasionally! 

Parley anyone? :P

• KappenWizKappenWiz Member UncommonPosts: 162

Group Abilities...the possibilities could be endless and randomized...but would need careful implementation in an RvR game

• StilerStiler Member Posts: 599
    Originally posted by Niix_Ozek
    Originally posted by meddyck

Seriously? Too lazy to dye new gear you get? It's not like you're going to get new gear all the time? Seems very very lazy to me lol

The way GW2 dyes worked (you still had to find dyes, or buy them, etc) however you could select which dyes to use on multiple parts of the armour/clothing you had (usually at least two dyes could be used on the armour).

Once you found a color scheme you liked overall, you could save it and that same color scheme would be applied to new armour.

You can still tinker, select dyes and which parts to dye, it was just a simple way to keep your color scheme between new gear instead of having you rre-select the same colours again, it was simple and saved time.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

destructible environment, or just interaction with it. For example, a mage casting an a lightning bolt on a player standing in water will conduct electricity to everyone else standing on the water and damage them (damaging himself if he is standing in the water too). Or a fire spell can burn trees, etc..

Buff / debuff combos like in GW2 (or even an improved version). Where attacks from different players mix in the environment to produce buffs and debuffs dynamically.

i think i would love to see all that in any new mmo.

• drakon3drakon3 Member Posts: 114

I agree with the above (2nd up) comment on GW2 dye system.  It made it much easier to use dyes.  Not just test dyes and see what colors you like (without buying 25 dye pots of each color) but also to keep the same scheme when you change gear.

I like the idea of combo's in GW2, but I hate the fact that the longest buff/debuff typically lasts about 5-10 seconds.  Yes I know you can trait them to last a long time and some classes can chain certain buffs to keep them up perm.  But I always liked the feel of buffs/debuffs in DAoC better.  They always seemed to matter more.  Perhaps that is a fault of GW2 10 skills system, I don't know.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

from warhammer - hold the line tank abilty, collison detection & the tok

from planetside 2 - % bonus to xp/rr from being the underpopulated faction, deployable mobile bases that act as spawn points

from tsw - gear is hidden, how you look is cosmetic, but also earned

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

from warhammer - hold the line tank abilty, collison detection & the tok

from planetside 2 - % bonus to xp/rr from being the underpopulated faction, deployable mobile bases that act as spawn points

from tsw - gear is hidden, how you look is cosmetic, but also earned

from age of wushu, character lives in world while you are offline, either running a shop or training or whatever

• WolvanWolvan Member Posts: 49

Actually one thing I thought was a really good group dynamic ability.

In FFXI you could group chain abilities to produce powerful effects.

ie...player 1 would cast ability A...player 2 would cast ability B (specific chain on A)...player 3 would use ability C (specific chain, maybe some different branches) etc.  If you successfully chain 3-5 abilities in a row in right timing...you would get an extra burst effect (large damage burst attack etc etc). 

A group really had to work together to get a group series attack off, but it could pay big benefits.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Kvalandur

Since Mark has mentioned this game I'm sure he's aware of these things already. It would be cool to see them in CU. from Archeage --->

The ability to harvest seeds and plant trees which eventually grow into harvestable material. This would be cool for crafters, Druids, and those in charge of keep defense!  They could plant trees that force an enemy into certain areas, or force the enemy to cut the trees down alerting you to their presence.

The ability to raise animals!  It would be especially cool to be able to breed animals similar to SWGs Bioengineer. Perhaps not cross breeding, although that would be fun. At lease being able to breed animals for color, size, common traits like that.

(This is from an old game actually) --->

The ability to write on scrolls and in books, then trade or leave these items for others to find or pick up.

+1 this would be good.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• grimjakkgrimjakk Member Posts: 192
    My wish list:
    • Star Wars Galaxies style material quality levels, with recipe experimentation (say, metals with durability / strength stats, wood with durability / strength / flexability, etc ). 

• Maybe crafting apprentices that you could give materials and a recipe that you've researched to produce some items offline (assuming the enemy doesn't raid the smithy and make off with all your stored material). 

• Player bult shops with NPC vendors that can be built to hawk your gear when you're offline (assuming that the enemy doesn't... well, you get the idea. ).