Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gemstore spending

dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615

If gw2 would have had a sub and you played since launch you would have shelled out about 75-90 dollars by now and i'm wondering in comparison to that how much have you spent on gems now?

Personally at the time of this writing it's more 140, i don't forsee myself buying more gems until atleast i'm down to roughly the same as a sub.

Comments

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

5 extra character slots and 5 bank expansions and some cosmetic outfits, but all bought with in-game gold. There will be an expansion some day and when that day comes I don't want to come to the conclusion that I've spent more on GW2 than I would have spent on a subscription game. So I hold back on buying gems with real money, because frankly I don't need to and want to make sure I don't feel cheated when they release an expansion you have to pay for.

The price of the expansion will determine how much I'll spend on gems later.

imageimage
  • ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

I continue to be surprised how little there is on that store that I want to buy. The store in GW2 is microscopic compared to many games that have a RMS.

I probably would have spent more, but they didn't strongarm me into purchases or put stuff on the store like a house for my character so I haven't spent much.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Originally posted by ignore_me

I continue to be surprised how little there is on that store that I want to buy. The store in GW2 is microscopic compared to many games that have a RMS.

I probably would have spent more, but they didn't strongarm me into purchases or put stuff on the store like a house for my character so I haven't spent much.

Out of the 140 i spent 100 of them was directly converted into gold in the holiday seasons when conversion rates were sky high relatively (and I don't fancy grinding too much but really wanted that t3 look lol). There's nothing in the store for me now either that makes me want to buy it, rather stuff in the game that can be bought with gold, it wouldn't suprise me if the vast majority of gem purches went directly into being converted to gold.

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

few items I liked in Item Shop I bought with game money conversion.

sorry, but I don't see the use of shop even for show-off, like in many other games (cool outfit instate of armor, cool mount or nice house etc),
    buy might is pointless here + are no might boost.
    XP boost is obsolete either, as it not a case of slow grind.

so I have nothing to buy and sadly nothing to do either.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Only thing I bought were 3 character slots. I don't have the need to buy anything else. I want expansions!

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

The only thing I've ever bought from the shop were character slots and bank slots, and I was able to do it with in game gold.  

Most MMOs put bank slots in as a gold sink.  In GW2, the gold required to get each bank slot actually felt relatively less than the standard MMO's.  Purchasing character slots seems to be a thing unique to games with cash shops.  If I couldn't get them with in game gold, I might have been pissed.  But since I could, and easily at that, I have no issues with the system.  

I'm actually concerned for Anet.  I can't imagine they're getting a lot of money from this cash shop as there doesn't seem to be too much worth spending real money on.  But that's just from my perspective.  

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

So far I've spent a grand total of 0 dollars in the cash store, and no signs of it changing.

There are three things I'm tempted to use gems on, first two are extra bank space and an extra inventory slot, but by using one of my chars as a mule (I only really play 2 of them, thinking of starting to level a 3rd one but still so much to do on those two) has alleviated it.

Other one are T-stones, and for the time being I only want 1. I still think the harlequin mask is the coolest looking head armor skin for mesmers (for those that don't know, it's one of the options of starter gear, it's basically a clown mask), so up to 80 I've been transmuting its look into the pieces of head armor I've used. Now that I'm level 80 I'm still using a level 78 head armor because I'd need a fine (bought) T-stone to transmute to a level 80 armor. I'm already have the gold to buy the gems for the stone, but I'm mostly waiting until I have a definitive (or close to it) head armor for my mesmer.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Homitu

The only thing I've ever bought from the shop were character slots and bank slots, and I was able to do it with in game gold.  

Most MMOs put bank slots in as a gold sink.  In GW2, the gold required to get each bank slot actually felt relatively less than the standard MMO's.  Purchasing character slots seems to be a thing unique to games with cash shops.  If I couldn't get them with in game gold, I might have been pissed.  But since I could, and easily at that, I have no issues with the system.  

I'm actually concerned for Anet.  I can't imagine they're getting a lot of money from this cash shop as there doesn't seem to be too much worth spending real money on.  But that's just from my perspective.  

If you like the game, then donate money even if you do not need the extra stuff that moeny gives you. Support Arenanet!

• SteeJanzSteeJanz Member UncommonPosts: 334
    Originally posted by L0C0Man

So far I've spent a grand total of 0 dollars in the cash store, and no signs of it changing.

There are three things I'm tempted to use gems on, first two are extra bank space and an extra inventory slot, but by using one of my chars as a mule (I only really play 2 of them, thinking of starting to level a 3rd one but still so much to do on those two) has alleviated it.

Other one are T-stones, and for the time being I only want 1. I still think the harlequin mask is the coolest looking head armor skin for mesmers (for those that don't know, it's one of the options of starter gear, it's basically a clown mask), so up to 80 I've been transmuting its look into the pieces of head armor I've used. Now that I'm level 80 I'm still using a level 78 head armor because I'd need a fine (bought) T-stone to transmute to a level 80 armor. I'm already have the gold to buy the gems for the stone, but I'm mostly waiting until I have a definitive (or close to it) head armor for my mesmer.

You can acquire the t-stones through map completion and black lion chests.  I have 13 now and have used a couple.  I havent spent a dime in the gem store yet.  I fully intend to buy something some day, but I just haven't had the desire or need that I could just exchange gold for.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

since launch i have spent $40 on gems.. all for bag/bank slots and 1 extra character slot.. i honestly do wish they had more stuff in there but guess then people would bitch anet is just trying to cash out from the CS(although i still see those complaints)

sub based game i would of spent about $120 already on the sub fee..

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

since launch i have spent $40 on gems.. all for bag/bank slots and 1 extra character slot.. i honestly do wish they had more stuff in there but guess then people would bitch anet is just trying to cash out from the CS(although i still see those complaints)

Don't think anyone would complain if they introduced far more outfits in the item mall. 

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

Don't think anyone would complain if they introduced far more outfits in the item mall. 

agreed,  i really only like one of the 3 armor skins in the CS right now but i like ones you can get in game more so see no point in paying for it.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

If you like the game, then donate money even if you do not need the extra stuff that moeny gives you. Support Arenanet!

I understand the sentiment.  There are a great many things that I like and support, but if I just donated money to them indiscriminately, I'd be utterly broke.  I already struggle to pay my bills and student loans as is.  Honestly, if GW2 had a sub fee, there's no way I'd be playing right now, just as I hadn't been playing any sub-based game for a few years prior to GW2's release.  

That said, I think that's the greatest virtue of the cash shop model when done right.  With the best f2p models, players can enjoy the core game completely for free and truly have a great gaming experience; but the cash shop should be filled with non intrusive, yet extremely enticing goodies that many people simply won't be able to resist buying.  Done right, the people who have the money to dish out on entertainment (just as they would going out to the movies, or clubs, or concerts, or sporting events, or dinner several times a month) won't hesitate to do so, while people who need to exercise a little more frugality won't have to pay much at all and still get to play.  

It's still in the game company's interest to make their game accessible to as many people as possible.  The more people who play, the more word spreads, which leads to even more people playing, many of whom will pay.  I think I at least play my part in that way.  While I don't hesitate to criticize GW2 or any game for the flaws I see in them, the majority of the word I put out for GW2 is immensely positive.

The problem I see with GW2's cash shop is that I don't think this chain effect of  more people playing will lead to as much money as it should because the shop just lacks that extremely enticing stuff.   

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

Zero. Why would I?

I did buy some gems for gold tho.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    I think it's about the same... but then again... no wait, there are a few times I bought the $35.00 packets of gems... crap, I should have kept track. I think I'm actually a bit over but voted "about the same". 

Oderint, dum metuant.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Most cash shop supporters are not very honest about how much they actually spend, even to themselves sometimes, so I wouldn't expect much from this poll really.

A lot of people will answer politcally rather than factually.

Originally posted by Vesavius

Most cash shop supporters are not very honest about how much they actually spend, even to themselves sometimes, so I wouldn't expect much from this poll really.

A lot of people will answer politcally rather than factually.

This is another point that somehow isn't brought up frequently enough in threads such as this.  People who frequent forums like these are defined by the games they play to the other forum-goers.  This is one reason many players debate rather vehemently for their games and against their games' competitors.  Their game's success is seen as being self-validating.  

In the case of evaluating a cash shop, posters are extremely aware of the negative stigma of the f2p model and cash shops as propogated by MMO traditionalists or proponents of subscription models.  And everyone has seen some pretty shady cash shop models.  Thus, the argument from f2p proponents becomes "if implemented correctly, cash shops can be great."  Players who play a game with a cash shop are then inclined to defend their chosen champion of a game by depicting that game's particular implementation of the cash shop as positively as possible.  Positive cash shop in this debate = one that sucks away as little player money as possible. 

Thus, some players who wish to politically defend GW2 (and by extention their own gaming choices) may be inclined to under-exaggerate how much they've spent on the cash shop, so as to make it appear as non-intruisive and well-implemented as possible.  Likewise, players who have attacked GW2 in order to defend their own alternative gaming choices, may actually come here to complain about the ridiculous amounts of money they've felt obligated to spend in the cash shop thus far, thereby depicting GW2's implementation as a poor one.  

• nastyjmannastyjman Member Posts: 161
    I support the game fully so I shell out $10 every month. That's it. So after the initial purchase, I've spent $70 for gems.
  • Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

The only thing I've ever bought from the shop were character slots and bank slots, and I was able to do it with in game gold.  Most MMOs put bank slots in as a gold sink.  In GW2, the gold required to get each bank slot actually felt relatively less than the standard MMO's.  Purchasing character slots seems to be a thing unique to games with cash shops.  If I couldn't get them with in game gold, I might have been pissed.  But since I could, and easily at that, I have no issues with the system.  I'm actually concerned for Anet.  I can't imagine they're getting a lot of money from this cash shop as there doesn't seem to be too much worth spending real money on.  But that's just from my perspective.  
    usually cash shop MMO gives you 2 to 8 slots per account, but you can make as many as you wants of these accounts.
    it's not a case of GW2, as you need to buy box every time. So 5 slots instate of usually 8 coming with boxes, is not such fair deal. Still not bad case as you can buy extra with in-game gold.

usually any MMO (free or sub) gives me banking space per ALT and not per account, which is unique to ANet, at least I never found any other game doing it.
    so normally I don't have such problem in standard (as you told) MMO. Some of them offer you same deal though: buy Shop currency with game currency, use for bank space or inv slots.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2