Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

boycott sim city 5 and EA games and DRM.

archeagekingarcheageking Member Posts: 88

I played sim city up till 3. This is unaccetable for gamers who is a fan of sim city.

Screw EA and its DRM. You need to boycott EA and its DRM games sent a message to EA that single player games with online drm is unacceptable. Fight the power. Tell yoyr friends not to buy any EA games with online DRM.

Comments

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Have it boxed in pre-order and it'll be available tomorrow (EU resident), and with the whole 24/7 online DRM crap I'm thinking to tell the store I'm not gonna pick it up (haven't paid for it yet). D3 has already shown what 24/7 online DRM does, Eidos gave it a go and their server got hacked and lots of players were unable ot play and more over, A couple of EA games that I have are screwed at times when I can't connect to their server to verify the DRM of the DLC. FUCK EA and their DRM!
  • BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439
    Got it yesterday and love playing it so far.  Maxis stepped up and published the original Simcity on PC when no one else would.  They didn't make very good decisions after that, and EA stepped in and saved them.  I think Maxis does good work and don't mind supporting them, especially when I get a great product for my money.
  • Darklighter1Darklighter1 Member UncommonPosts: 250
    No.
  • BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Sorry, I love the game. I have accepted why DRMs are out there, good or bad, and know that I have to find something else to do when I'm offline. But I guess if that doesn't sit well with you, you can just not buy it to show your anger.
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Nope, game is awesome.

Day 1 online issues are expected (at least from someone who plays a lot of MMOs) and the game is well worth the DRM.

Sorry OP, enjoy your protest while the rest of us enjoy a great game.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

yeah seriously if people were not stealing so many games you wouldnt have DRM to begin with. I plan to buy this game regardless and I hate EA , but I have enjoyed all the sim cities . Hell even my technology class way back in middle school allowed us to play the orginal sim city on those old computers in school so to me this franchaise has a history worth it to me.

You want to protest , go protest all the thieving websites like pirate bay and the rest of those sites that make it so game companies cannot make any money because of all the thieves in this world that are to cheap to spend money or get a job so they can afford to buy games, music, and movies.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Please just stop.  How about put your crusade to good use fighting something really worth while.

I intend to pick up the game because it looks fun as hell.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by cronius77

yeah seriously if people were not stealing so many games you wouldnt have DRM to begin with. I plan to buy this game regardless and I hate EA , but I have enjoyed all the sim cities . Hell even my technology class way back in middle school allowed us to play the orginal sim city on those old computers in school so to me this franchaise has a history worth it to me.

You want to protest , go protest all the thieving websites like pirate bay and the rest of those sites that make it so game companies cannot make any money because of all the thieves in this world that are to cheap to spend money or get a job so they can afford to buy games, music, and movies.

Amen

I think I am going to buy this game, it seems to be worth a try :)

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

I personally feel that once a game offers a live service, it's not an "offline" game. 

SimCity is a better game for the online connection, whether you're playing co-op or not. 

In my opinion, the best SimCity ever; one of the best games I've ever played,hands down. 

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Despite the cause and all that, I dont think I want to inconvenience myself by boycotting a game I want to play. Screw EA, I just want to have some fun.
  • StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
    Bought it, love it, don't care about your issues
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Another game that I can't play underway :(

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

Gladly I don't have to boycott it since the game is complete unappealing to me due to how small the cities are. I play city building games to make good looking cities that still manage to be somewhat efficient, but for that I need space, which seems to be the lacking part in SC5. 

And yes, I am aware they said they want to icnrease the size at some point. Thing is we have no idea when that point will happen nor how much it will cost, because I'm pretty sure it won't be free update, more likely something akin to one of hundreads of Sims "expansions" that cost normal retail prices. 

Maybe by that time the game will be heavily disocunted and bundled with DLC and probably the servers will be stable too... then I can consider buying it, not a day sooner. 

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842
    I'm not a fan of DRM and I might buy the game. But lets get some facts straight first. DRM can cause more troubles then not. Depending on how the company institues it, I've seen several people lose games to DRM. How so? When you can't reinstall a game because it's DRM protected and it comes up with a duplicate license key. That right there is the most common reason why a lot of people hate DRM. And for those hating on sites like piratebay and isohunt, quit being a fool. These people are not the reason DRM was instituted. Think I'm wrong, go have a look for yourself on google search. All these sites do is host links. You want to blame anyone, blame yourself or your next door neighbor or whoever else is distributing the software without a license. Go blame those fools who worked with Demonoid on cracking software. Places like piratebay actually do distribute legal software, music and videos. They just don't have a say so n what else pop's up from there links. Why you ask? Freedom of use, plain and simple. So do us all a favor, either buy it or not. But there is no need to start a crusade.
  • nastyjmannastyjman Member Posts: 161

I read that the cities were reduced for the sake of balance. Since your cities are interacting with other cities, having a large city would be "imba" against small cities. SimCity? More like SimCity:MMO.

I was skeptical when they first announced the game. I'm a big fan of Maxis, but the always-on DRM turned me off. SimCity was all about city building, making it efficient and then destroying it all with one button -- be it a tornado, fire outbreak, meteor strike, monster invasion.

I'll rue the day when all video games will have online connection as mandatory requirement. Some games you enjoy by yourself, like reading a book on a cozy chair, while sipping coffee or hot cocoa. Some games you enjoy with others, like a movie night out.

/rant

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by birdycephon
    Despite the cause and all that, I dont think I want to inconvenience myself by boycotting a game I want to play. Screw EA, I just want to have some fun.

You're not alone. A lot of people have the same attitude and EA is very aware of that.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689
    Originally posted by cronius77

First of all: piracy isn't stealing. It's copyright infringement that (might) withhold earnings from the product creator. I say might because it's hard to figure out if a pirated game equals a lost sale. Like, I don't think you could argue that a copy pirated by a person that truly never intended to buy the game in the first place counts as a lost sale.

But I digress... the only thing DRM does nowadays is to punish legitimate customers such as ourselves (yes, I pre-ordered Simcity, the Limited Edition even). Pirates are going to pirate the game, DRM or not, and they won't have to suffer through EA's DRM shenanigans. So why's it even there? A strong DRM can make the game a bit harder to crack, but it will be cracked. So all EA's doing is fucking over their customers because they don't want to face reality.

I'm OK with DRM for the most part, though. Steam's DRM is pretty non-intrusive, although I've had problems getting offline mode to work.

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

24/7 online DRM suxx ass already, but for a single player game it sounds outstanding ... they wanna know you better .. and how you spend your bucks best ^^

• aWRAYaWRAY Member Posts: 84

"I hate EA, but I will continue to support the company by buying their products"

Well people, I see much more DRM coming in the near future.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

I don't see what the big deal is. 99% of the games I own use Steam, which basically requires you to be online at all times anyway. Granted it does have an offline mode, but it's pretty much useless (you can't start it in offline mode unless you actually switched it to offline mode while online).

Not to mention that MMORPGs by their very nature require you to be online while playing (duh).

However I won't be buying the game because my backlog is large enough already, and also because Origin is absolutely awful and I don't want that crap on my PC. Plus I'm already boycotting EA for killing off pretty much every single good game company they've acquired. So I suppose the TC can take some solace in that fact.

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563

Originally posted by aWRAY
    "I hate EA, but I will continue to support the company by buying their products"

Well people, I see much more DRM coming in the near future.

Lol Pretty much, this video illustrates your point.

http://youtu.be/e-LE0ycgkBQ

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by birdycephon

You're not alone. A lot of people have the same attitude and EA is very aware of that.

This is true, and I will fully admit that EA"s typicaly crap probably would not stop me from buying a game that I really, really wanted.

However...I was on the fence with SImCity.  I enjoyed old school SimCity, and this one actually looked pretty good, so I was more or less planning to buy it.  But when I saw EA's crap, I passed.  

So I mean, it all depends on how interested the individual consumer is in the game.  If you're really psyched, EA can probably get away with screwing you (or me).  But if you're on the fence, you're likely to pass...and I think EA should really consider this.  Yeah, you will still sell your game to a lot of people, but there are also a bunch of people who would have bought your game, but didn't because of your crap.

Another thing to consider is that developing a game with heavy microtransactions in mind can actually hurt the game.  For instance, the forced 2x2km map size in SimCity was a major factor in me not buying it.  And I'm pretty sure they did this so that they can sell bigger maps later.

Actively HURTING a game so that you can profit later really pisses me off.  And I actually feel bad for the developers, who put their blood, sweat and tears into this game, to see key features of it gutted so that EA can sell them later.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by Stizzled
    This is the first game that I've actually payed for (yes, I pireate) since Skyrim, and I'm loving it. I'm pissed off that it's down right now meaning that I can't play it at all, but meh. The game itself is great fun and there's no reason to boycott it just because you don't care for the company behind it.

Please don't pirate companies that don't screw their consumers with crippling DRM :)...you are just proving EA right.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• ZuvielifyZuvielify Member Posts: 168

I was very disappointed with them last night. While I do agree with the OP, honestly, DRMs don't dissuade me from purchasing. I just don't really care. Granted, I really care when I can't logon, but that's really rare. 

I think the DRM EA is using is a little draconic. It's kind of ridiculous that I can't do anything without constantly pinging their server. Truth is, I'll keep playing this game. It's that much fun

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by Rednecksith

I don't see what the big deal is. 99% of the games I own use Steam, which basically requires you to be online at all times anyway. Granted it does have an offline mode, but it's pretty much useless (you can't start it in offline mode unless you actually switched it to offline mode while online).

I have a couple Steam games, and not sure why you think the offline mode is useless.  Internet went down a few days ago, was down all weekend, but I had no problems playing anyhow.  It gave an error message about cloud saves desyncing, but didn't pose any problems for me.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

This discussion has been closed.