Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Everquest Next: 'We Like Permadeath'

Comments

• JCBNJCBN Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Originally posted by Yizle
    Originally posted by FromHell

Best news since I heard that Star Citizen will also have permadeath :D

Could it be.. do games get hardcore again? MMOs no longer catering to carebears? Too good to be true.

Name me one permadeath game that has came out and succeeded? How many of these too good to be true permadeath games are you currently playing?

I have no qualms with pvp open world and full loot but permadeath is stupid.

Well.... Ultima Online had permadeath if you were a PK, and that game did quite good. 

I would very much like to see a system like that again. So you wanna be a bad guy killing innocent people? Well there is a price to pay... permadeath.

• aerinndisaerinndis Member Posts: 67
    He's obviously not serious.  Just a way to stir things up.
  • DJMantissDJMantiss Member Posts: 100
    Originally posted by Slampig
    Originally posted by SBFord

Sony Online Entertainment's John Smedley has sent out a cryptic and very interesting Tweet today indicating that Everquest Next just may feature permadeath.

We like permadeath for EQN

Join the conversation on Twitter. Discuss!

I am for it but I would also hope there is another option. If it is across the board then I am not sure how many people would get behind it. If there was an option for a permadeath server and then regular servers as well then I say full steam ahead!

They could do something similar to Path of Exile as well.

Make a toon on a perma-death server, love it, live it, die and you are "killed" on that server and automatically transfered to the "normal" server. So you don't lose all of your progression, just the ability to continue with that character on the perma-death server.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by DJMantiss

Make a toon on a perma-death server, love it, live it, die and you are "killed" on that server and automatically transfered to the "normal" server. So you don't lose all of your progression, just the ability to continue with that character on the perma-death server.

That's a pretty good idea.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503
    He meant he liked permadeath for SWG. He will probably correct the twitter later. Im guessing hell make one about Vanguard too.
  • uidCausticuidCaustic Member Posts: 128
    Originally posted by mizanyx

Could it be.. do games get hardcore again? MMOs no longer catering to carebears? Too good to be true.

Name me one permadeath game that has came out and succeeded? How many of these too good to be true permadeath games are you currently playing?

Every arcade shooter. In arcade shooters when you die you lose all powerups. You have to get them again and again every time you die. And in MMORPGs, Realm of the Mad God.

LOL, that's funny.

Oh... you're serious... hrm.

• wesjrwesjr Member UncommonPosts: 506

Loved this reply...

• DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392
    YAY!!!! :D    I'm all for perma-death.   But people seriously...its obviously not a die once ur out deal.   Thats virtually impossible to implement in an MMO due to server hiccups like someone mentioned and yeah it would take the fun out of raids as well.   But I kinda like the way Wizardry does perma-death and if they can build on that idea that would be neat.   Just so long as they don't use death as a way to nickel and dime me in RL.   I definately welcome this in EQ Next, because maybe it will keep the WoW cry babies out.   But I definately don't like the idea of having it only on 1 or 2 servers.   That will cause an inbalance in the game/community and updates will soon forget about the small community of permadeath(ers), introducing content that is far to dangerous for permadeath players in end-game as expansions release.   I like the idea of X kills and would love it if they implemented a way to add to your life counter.  A way NOT involving $.

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    Originally posted by JCBN

Well.... Ultima Online had permadeath if you were a PK, and that game did quite good. 

I would very much like to see a system like that again. So you wanna be a bad guy killing innocent people? Well there is a price to pay... permadeath.

You mean Permared?

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    Originally posted by wesjr

Loved this reply...

its a reply from a retarded individual, he dont have a fucking clue about how will be implemented. Again there are infinite ways of implementing permadeath, assuming i will have 1 or 2 lives is beyind stupid...

• garretthgarretth Member UncommonPosts: 343

Did any of you play Isle of Kesmai...way back when?  (hint:  Compuserve)

They had permadeath, but you had to really work at it.

If you died, you went to the underworld and had to fight your way back up.    By doing this your 'death' was removed.

if you didn't do the time in the underworld, then I think it was 3 deaths and you were out of the game.

Leveling was long and hard.   Each level took twice as much experience...it was a big, big deal to be lvl 17 and only a few made it to 20.   You played carefully and with lots of friends.   Experience earned was precious and gave you status.

It was fun.   If you killed someone you had to ask for their 'forgiveness' because that was another strike against you.

I know of a case where the players ganged up on a high level player that was not well liked and repeatedly killed him until he was permanently dead.

Very hard core

• PopplePopple Member UncommonPosts: 239
    I was just thinking..Just to think if Darkfall had permadeath ..All those hours of getting your skills up goes down the drain..I can see a lot of people rage quitting...image But hey why play with death?image

I retired retroactively..Haha

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by dave6660
    Originally posted by DJMantiss

That's a pretty good idea.

What about your friends and guild that get split in two.  It may work in a simple arpg, but in an mmo where success lies with the community and guilds then that is a horrible idea.

You guys sure know a shit more load about how EQN is going to work than everyone else in the world.

It's not 1998 anymore.  Net stability is a lot better than it was when permadeath was ruled out by most developers.

Let's see the entire design before deciding "Permadeth is stoopid".  AD&D has permadeath... it did alright.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Remember FromHell, people cry about wanting something different until something different comes along.  Then they want what other games have.  Wonder if it starts at endgame?!

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Ryowulf
    When you can die from server hiccups and the like, there is no place for permadeath.

And you will claim all your deaths are just from that right?  Are you the type who would pull the network cable to "avoid" a permadeath AND think that's ok?

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 874
    Well I am not a big fan of perma death i was interested in eqnext now I am not.
  • Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    I'm actually intrested in EQN now that it might have permadeath.
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    EQN was one of my last real hopes for the genre.  I hope this will be a special server ruleset or I will be incredibly disappointed.

• ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446
    As much as I like the Smed, hes is just writting this for attention.  If it is in the game I am assuming it would be for just one server.  Its unlikely he would create a game with this rule set for all the players and miss on out so many other consumers.
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Zarriya
    As much as I like the Smed...

/falls over...

Someone actually likes Smed?

No, scratch that, I'm sure his wife and children do. Probably.

A paying customer of one of his games actually likes Smed?

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

I think I need more drugs because I just saw a tweet about EQnext having permadeath and then people saying it sounded like a good idea. What the hell? Are you seriously telling me the future of Everquest is permadeath. That's what the game was lacking killing off your character forever.

L O L

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    This is a surprise.  
  • YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    Originally posted by Vesavius
    Originally posted by Zarriya
    As much as I like the Smed...

/falls over...

Someone actually likes Smed?

No, scratch that, I'm sure his wife and children do. Probably.

A paying customer of one of his games actually likes Smed?

Thats what I was thinking myself.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    The odds of EQN having permadeath are the same as TESO appealing to the majority of the 5+ million fans of the IP. Nil.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660
    I can't believe how much people are over reacting to this. EQN either won't have permadeath, or will have it in such a way that it doesn't matter at all. SOE goes for big audiences with their EQ titles. They aren't going to alienate so many people right off the bat. He is either joking or exaggerating.