Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Everquest Next: 'We Like Permadeath'

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

UPDATE: SOE's Dave Georgeson has rebutted Mr. Smedley's permadeath Tweet by saying, "There is NO permadeath in EQN and we wish the permadeath rumor would die a permadeath."

eq2gu Nope. Not happening. Many of us here like permadeath, but no.

— David Georgeson (@Qixter) March 6, 2013

Sony Online Entertainment's John Smedley has sent out a cryptic and very interesting Tweet today indicating that Everquest Next just may feature permadeath.

We like permadeath for EQN

Join the conversation on Twitter. Discuss!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Abuz0rAbuz0r Member UncommonPosts: 550

I really like MMO games with features that add extra challenge elements, however permadeath seems to either require the game to be a lot less serious, or a lot more easy.

I don't care for it as a feature and I think it detracts from the liklihood that people will want to install to begin with.

I'm all for long grinds and challenging accomplishments, but if I want a perma-death game, I'll play IRL.

- I know it's appealing to some people, and I respect that, just throwing in my 2 cents.

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574
    Count me out.
  • DuvarisDuvaris Member UncommonPosts: 127
    I hope not. Bad news imo if true.
  • YizleYizle Member Posts: 517

For the characters or the development of the game?

For chars this would be a bad idea.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

Best news since I heard that Star Citizen will also have permadeath :D

Could it be.. do games get hardcore again? MMOs no longer catering to carebears? Too good to be true.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

Originally posted by FromHell

Could it be.. do games get hardcore again? MMOs no longer catering to carebears? Too good to be true.

Name me one permadeath game that has came out and succeeded? How many of these too good to be true permadeath games are you currently playing?

I have no qualms with pvp open world and full loot but permadeath is stupid.

• EnterTheWombatEnterTheWombat Member UncommonPosts: 112
    Hopefully it's just a special rule set server like they had every once in a while in EQ1 back in the day.  As a permanent feature though, that really means it's going to be so insanely easy or so very different that death is hard to come by.  Either way, not a fun permanent feature because the game will not be EQ if this is the case. Just my 2 cents but I've been enjoying Norrath off and on since EQ first came out and I was really hoping for this to be more like EQ 1.  
  • mizanyxmizanyx Member Posts: 70
    Originally posted by Yizle

Name me one permadeath game that has came out and succeeded? How many of these too good to be true permadeath games are you currently playing?

Every arcade shooter. In arcade shooters when you die you lose all powerups. You have to get them again and again every time you die. And in MMORPGs, Realm of the Mad God.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by mizanyx
    Originally posted by Yizle Originally posted by FromHell Best news since I heard that Star Citizen will also have permadeath :D Could it be.. do games get hardcore again? MMOs no longer catering to carebears? Too good to be true.
    Name me one permadeath game that has came out and succeeded? How many of these too good to be true permadeath games are you currently playing? I have no qualms with pvp open world and full loot but permadeath is stupid.
    Every arcade shooter. In arcade shooters when you die you lose all powerups. You have to get them again and again every time you die. And in MMORPGs, Realm of the Mad God.

Those "arcade shooters" have next to no progression. Thus, losing a power up is about as significant as using ammo.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Also, even though it's not an MMO, one cannot ignore the insane success of a little mod with permadeath called DayZ. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of permadeath, but apparently there are lots of gamers that do indeed enjoy it.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664
    When you can die from server hiccups and the like, there is no place for permadeath.
  • Iceman8235Iceman8235 Member UncommonPosts: 205
    We'll get a just kidding tweet from smed later tonight, there's no way permadeath will be the only way to play EQN.  Maybe they'll have one server with it, but that's about it.
  • TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435

There are A LOT OF WAYS of developing permadeath. its not like u will raid die 1 time and lose ur purplez;

They can give u 1K lives, the can make permadeath affect ONLY PKS, ONLY GRIEFERS, think outside the box ppl....

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

Buzz, he went for it.

I'd bet he has absolutely zero intention of actually implementing permadeath in EQN.

I'd support it if it was permadeath, but I'd be like one of 10 people supporting it, lol

• Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346
    meh. another has been trying to promise the likes of this message board all the garbage features they claim to want but really don't. game is doomed, next.
  • FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

get over it, permadeath is the new hip thing, Smedley knows it, Chris Roberts knows it too.

10 years of safezone respawning MMOs, not enough? time for change or stick with older titles if you can't wrap your head around permadeath

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• eugheuforceeugheuforce Member UncommonPosts: 46

Permadeath? I'm in.

People shouldn't be afraid of permadeath, if the replay value is very well done, permadeath brings so much fun.

In DayZ, it works so well so why not for EQN?

• DJMantissDJMantiss Member Posts: 100

Could be a fun idea and there are a staggering amount of ways this could be implemented.

Does permadeath happen after (x) amount of deaths?

Does it simply reset your character to a certain point?

Does that character die but his or her off-spring carry on?

Does that family member that carries on already have a set level of progression based on the now-dead character's progression before death/

It all comes down to implementation and options. If they allow an RP server where perma-death can happen I truly see a number of folks flocking to something like that. While the vast majority of servers would be what we consider "normal" with an exp penalty, repair cost or other detriment, but nothing serious.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

That's what I was thinking, too. For me, MMOs are the exception, not the rule, when it comes to permadeath.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    Sony already has Permadeath in one MMORPG - Wizardry Online. They can use this as a reference point, and add this feature in a way that works well for them.
  • NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

Ironical but permadeath actually hurts the feeling of persistance. Also ironical, players tend to be way more "carebear" when there's permadeath.

The only setup where permadeath works for me is EVE, and you've got to really botch it and forget cloning yourself to permadie there.

I much prefer harsh death penalties.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

All 20 of you huh?

That will sustain an mmo o.0

Perma-death servers always go the same way: Their is a partial rush to it at launch then the sever becomes a ghost town.

You stay sassy!

Originally posted by eugheuforce

Permadeath? I'm in.

People shouldn't be afraid of permadeath, if the replay value is very well done, permadeath brings so much fun.

In DayZ, it works so well so why not for EQN?

As far as I know nothing in DayZ takes farming for months etc to get to. Also in DayZ I do not remember any raid or elite mob that 1 shots in AOEs. Completely different types of games. Also for the one who compared EQ to arcade shooters.... just walk away.

Maybe I was not plain enough in my prior post and question. Name me one successful permadeath MMORPG?

I thought being on a mmorpg site I did not have to point this out since we are talking about MMORPGs.

• DJMantissDJMantiss Member Posts: 100
    Originally posted by Tamanous

All 20 of you huh?

That will sustain an mmo o.0

Perma-death servers always go the same way: Their is a partial rush to it at launch then the sever becomes a ghost town.

I see what you did there!

Permadeath, eventual ghost town.... Ha!

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by SBFord

Sony Online Entertainment's John Smedley has sent out a cryptic and very interesting Tweet today indicating that Everquest Next just may feature permadeath.

We like permadeath for EQN