Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Wizard101: Tending the Flock

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Community is the name of the game in today's MMO space and no one does it better than the team from KingsIsle. In today's column, we take a look at just one way the Wizard101 community is celebrated. Check it out!

The point truly is that KingsIsle has invested a lot of energy and time in its community managers and those community managers have taken their jobs very seriously when it comes to making sure that players feel welcome, needed and valued. It doesn’t take a very long look at the Wizard101 site to see how much the team works to keep the community engaged both in and out of the game. 

Read more of Suzie Ford's Wizard101: Tending the Flock.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• KingsIsleKingsIsle Community Manager of KingsIsleMember Posts: 158

You have made Professor Greyrose blush!

Thank you for your kind words, Suzie. We try to foster communities that we would want to be a part of, and we hope that others enjoy being in the Spiral with us.

• montinmontin Member Posts: 218
    I tried this game one day when feeling bored and I was suprised to find that I really like it. My complaint though is not being able to switch off the spinning movement in combat. It made me feel dizzy and I eventually had to stop playing because of it. But it's a fun game and certainly the community was good.
  • Alric_RavensingerAlric_Ravensinger Member UncommonPosts: 4

We definitely love and appreciate the effort Kingisle has put forth in fostering the community into the rabid, behemoth-sized fan (base) we are/have become. They got the right idea...without community....you won't be as successful as Wizard101/Pirate101 games have become.  It will be our 3rd year as an official fan site here at the Petnome Project (In November) and we are still as excited as we were 3 years ago to continue to work with the stellar folks over at Kingsisle. Bravo, friends, and bravo to K. Samwell who is a superb Community Manager.

- Alric Ravensinger, Petnome Project

Team lead and site owner

• ElvenGoddess86ElvenGoddess86 Member Posts: 1
    One of the biggest (and most important) things KI doesvis listen to the community, not just keep them posted on updates. Weekly maintenance every Tuesday is convieniant instead of random interrupts like some games. When new things come into the live realm and receive complaint about being to difficult, I have seen changes made to create a more reasonable mission. I have been playing fof several years and believe this company to truly understand the value of its players.
  • cheyinzacheyinza Member UncommonPosts: 4
    <3

-Wizard101 Fan and Owner of StarsoftheSpiral Archive for Wizard101
    http://www.starsofthespiral.pbworks.com

• KelseyFireheartKelseyFireheart Member UncommonPosts: 1

The Kingsisle Community is a very closeknit family to me. Thanks to both Pirate101 and Wizard101 Community Managers, they have made this possible. I cannot imagine being without them. It has become an important part of my life as well as others. When I was welcomed into being one of their official fansites for both Pirate101 and Wizard101, it was the greatest honor bestowed upon me. I get to be a greater part of the community along with other official fansites to spread the power of friendship and unity. To me that's something you can't find easily.

Thank you so much Kingsisle for allowing me to be a part of the wonderful work that you do. I can't wait to see where we stand in five years! Much love to you all.

-Kelsey Fireheart

Wizard101 Official Fansite - Stars of the Spiral

Pirate101 Official Fansite - Pirate101 Skyways

• arkwayarkway Member Posts: 2

I have to admit, it is pretty amazing to be part of a community that is so active and constructive. KI reaches out to us fan sites regularly, and in a big way; they've done a huge amount to support us and keep us connected into the game.

To me, there's one quality that really sets KI apart from other companies: KI backs up their words with actions. Period.  They don't just pay lip service to fans and fansites, merely going through the motions with empty words. They actually follow through and put a great deal of effort into communicating, providing fan sites with the means to engage players and make them feel like they are part of a community.

And like I said, the community is both active and constructive. Not only does KI support it's fan sites...the fan sites also support one another, promoting one another's content, making sure readers can enjoy all of the great material out there about the game. And it's all because KI sets the tone: it's support of fan sites creates an environment where you can't help but want to follow their lead, boost the other terrific sites out there.

Anyway, thx for this article, and thanks to KI (especially Prof. Greyrose!) for their willingness to go above and beyond for their fan sites.

Dead Sparrow

www.duelist101.com Official Wizard101/Pirate101 fansite

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    It's actualy an alright game even though it's for kids. I like the turn based etc. There is kind of like auto group which happens in the game. Still though, it's a sub + item shop game. From my experience the community management seemed good and that's just by looking at the site.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• PaigeMoonPaigeMoon Member UncommonPosts: 7

In my opinion, KingsIsle has some of the best community fansites!  From Wizard101 Central, to all the bloggers who devote so much time and energy to keeping the Wizards of the Spiral informed - there is something for everyone.  One group, Mercs 4 Hire, shares their gaming skills by helping other wizards with the harder dungeons while another group has an incredible website based on the pets available within the game.

A special 'Thank You' to Professor Greyrose, who does a truly amazing job of helping young (and old) wizards by getting the latest and greatest information out to the  official sites.  And, KingsIsle makes it easy to stay up to date using your favorite social network - Twitter, Facebook - you can follow updates and suggestions easily, and hear about the latest contests and specials.  KingsIsle has one of the largest, most devoted, fan bases that I have seen in a long time

Paige MoonShade

Paige's Page

• ArduArdu Member CommonPosts: 55

Being part of the community is truly an amazing experience; I enjoy sharing my opinions and feedback. KingsIsle is always listening to their customers and specially their fans. That’s exactly what makes their games triumph.

I remember one time  there was this new spell for Wizard101 but it wasn’t so great, so the community got together and voiced their feedback. The next day KingsIsle surprised every fan with a better spell.

This is all thanks to the awesome fan sites that allow us to share our opinions and feedback. The people who manage those fan sites do an amazing job, thank you so much for everything.

• kyanixkyanix Member UncommonPosts: 1

weak

• kasey156kasey156 Member Posts: 1
    KI is great and the fan sites are amazing.  The whole concept of community - people helping each other, looking out for each other - that is why I fell in love with Wizard101, and the reason I can't imagine myself being anywhere else.  I have wonderful friends on Wizard101, and  have met many more wonderful people in passing as I wander the spiral.  The best thing about the community is the example it sets for how we should treat each other in the game.  I only wish the "real world" was as warm and supportive.
  • SundnixeSundnixe Member UncommonPosts: 2
    I am with Wizard101 for two years now. After a short time there, I made friends I am still playing with. Some switched to Pirate101 and it seems like that game is as time consuming as Wizard101. Which is not a bad thing at all. I have gotten my 6. wizard to level 80 now and I hope, there is more to come. I am staying with this game for sure and with my friends. Thanks to all of the fan sites that help me navigate the new things and the pet training. Thank you so much.
  • judenjuden Member UncommonPosts: 2

As a player, I agree with all of the above. This is an awesome game for all ages. The fan sites and support sites are great. I have played online games for years ( wish I'd started Wizard101 sooner).

This is the best game and hope to hear that soon about Pirate101. Kingsisle truely cares about their players, allows them to progress at their own speed and helps them along when they falter. Absoutely the best!

• nightbird407nightbird407 Member UncommonPosts: 1

Kingsisle has made a truly astounding community. Rarely do games make such an effort to connect with their players and all the community members appreciate that. The entire communtiy is like a giant family whether your a wizard or a pirate. Thank you Kingsisle for making two fantastic games that have led to outstanding communities full of inspiring people!

-Connor Mistblade

• Johnnycentral1Johnnycentral1 Member Posts: 7

Both Wizard101 and Pirate101 are incredible games! I still remember the night I saw the first Wizard101 commercial on tv and ran to the computer and looked it up. I was hooked since 2008 and am still playing years later..

At first, I was just a player who went onto the game to play. Then I needed some help on how to figure one of the dungeon puzzles out and found the awesome fansite, Wizard101central. This site has guides, tips, helpers and is a place for all of us to come together and talk about the game we love. A big thanks to Jester and Olivia for all their hard work and creating W101c and now P101c.

Around the time of june last year, I found the community in a different place I wasn't familiar with - on Twitter. I also wanted to create my own fansite for the new announced game back then (Pirate101) [A big thanks to Paige Moonshade for helping me with Blogger]! :)

Fast forward a few months later and Pirates-of-the-Spiral.com is an official P101 fansite! I am honored to be a community leader both in Wizard101 and Pirate101. Like many others have said, our community is very unique and we all work together to make it better. I have yet to see another gaming community like ours.

Our community leaders (Wizard101~Prof Greyrose- Kiersten Samwell) and (Pirate101~One-Eyed Jack- Tom Purdue) are the best! Without them our community wouldn't be as good as it is today!

I'm very happy with how both games have been growing, and cannot wait to see what the future holds!

Great job Kingsisle & fansites! Also to all of the community!

Johnny

Wizard101Central

www.Pirates-of-the-spiral.com

• x-iLuvWizard101-xx-iLuvWizard101-x Member Posts: 1

Both Wizard101 and Pirate101 are incredible games! I still remember the night I saw the first Wizard101 commercial on tv and ran to the computer and looked it up. I was hooked since 2008 and am still playing years later..

At first, I was just a player who went onto the game to play. Then I needed some help on how to figure one of the dungeon puzzles out and found the awesome fansite, Wizard101central. This site has guides, tips, helpers and is a place for all of us to come together and talk about the game we love. A big thanks to Jester and Olivia for all their hard work and creating W101c and now P101c.

Around the time of june last year, I found the community in a different place I wasn't familiar with - on Twitter. I also wanted to create my own fansite for the new announced game back then (Pirate101) [A big thanks to Paige Moonshade for helping me with Blogger]! :)

Fast forward a few months later and Pirates-of-the-Spiral.com is an official P101 fansite! I am honored to be a community leader both in Wizard101 and Pirate101. Like many others have said, our community is very unique and we all work together to make it better. I have yet to see another gaming community like ours.

Our community leaders (Wizard101~Prof Greyrose- Kiersten Samwell) and (Pirate101~One-Eyed Jack- Tom Purdue) are the best! Without them our community wouldn't be as good as it is today!

I'm very happy with how both games have been growing, and cannot wait to see what the future holds!

Great job Kingsisle & fansites! Also to all of the community!

• LegendsofthespiralLegendsofthespiral Member Posts: 1

The Wizard101 and Pirate101 community leaders are the absolute best.

I started a fan-site for Wizard101 and not long after Professor Greyrose tool me under her wing, making sure I had all the necessary information and plicies in place to keep my site family friendly as well as providing great prizes so I could share with the community through contest and events.

Pirate101 is still failry new, but I have great expectations for them as well as the game continues to develop and take shape.

Legends / Red Beard

Legends of the Spiral / Stormgate Pirates

• Ma1kavianMa1kavian Member Posts: 3

Yes, KI did pretty good job keeping the comminty together. Me and my girlfriend run on to wizard101 two years ago.  We fell in love with w101 on first sight. At the time we wasn't aware of the community or fan sites. We discovered them in summer last year.  W101 blessed us by now with friendships, both online and in real life. Who would thought there are about to run on our countyman lol. Also, fun sites and community managers are really doing a lot for the community.  Beside, that they are making game interesting by making creative and fun contests, they keep in touch with their fans, and they always listen what we have to say. This has been amazing two years with KI. I moved forward for hat time in community, first by discovering it, and now i even help with one of the fan sites. Its an honor being a #twizard and a #twirate. Thank you KI for keeping this community together.

Duncan StormThief

• tywrentywren Member CommonPosts: 3

There is a difference between "advertising" and "putting the word out" and offering in game items to those who vote for them which is what KI did. The first 2 are politicking for votes which is fine, the 3ed is bribery which is not!

KI cheated to win their awards, it's as simple as that, and they did it the year before as well.

• ArduArdu Member CommonPosts: 55
    Originally posted by tywren

There is a difference between "advertising" and "putting the word out" and offering in game items to those who vote for them which is what KI did. The first 2 are politicking for votes which is fine, the 3ed is bribery which is not!

KI cheated to win their awards, it's as simple as that, and they did it the year before as well.

KingsIsle did not offer any rewards. Is absolutely absurd to make such claim, I'm also part of the Wizard101 community and I enjoy playing Wizard101.

• KesDragonHeartKesDragonHeart Member UncommonPosts: 2

The fansite community was the one thing that truly drew me in to the world of Wizard101 and made KingsIsle a household name for our family. About three years ago our then four year old daughter came home from my friend/neighbor's house talking about a computer game she'd been playing there. When I investigated and found out it was a MMORPG I was incredibly hesitant to let her play. So I did what any good mother would do and started playing myself. lol Well initially it was only to check it out but in trying to understand the game play (this was my FIRST experience with a MMORPG) I came across Wizard101 Central. That's all it took. Any questions I had about the game or game play were there and there were, and still are, so many helpful members. Soon, I was playing the game, I was comfortable letting our little one play and then her older sister got in on it. Eventually my husband was curious why we were all vying for the computer and he started to play too. About a year after we started playing I was chosen to be a moderator on Wizard101 Central and have had the opportunity to become even more involved in the community. From getting to interact with the community members, to the other moderators, to the site owners (Jester and Jilly) to other Wizard101 and Pirate101 fansite owners and members. I have truly met some wonderful people out there in cyberspace and agree 100% that KingsIsle takes an active interest in their community! This Mom gives them two thumbs up!

~Kestrel DragonHeart

• redrose14441redrose14441 Member CommonPosts: 3
    Wizard101 is an awesome game.
  • DiverGirlDiverGirl Member UncommonPosts: 4

I enjoy and appreciate the KI community whether directly managed by KI or by other players.  The support provided technically and in playing the game leaves one feeling appreciated and valued as a player.  It is easy to become just another account once a game acheives a large user base;  KI has managed to avoid this perception in me as a player.  

I feel KI does well and fair by its players (recent 30,000 crown "award" for a playing glitch) that surpasses most other companies.  Unlike other games I have played I don't feel like I am a wallet waiting to be drained.

Finally, I don't feel KI in anyway played unfair with the call to vote.  I didn't even realize the vote was taking place until reading the announcement at log in.  After signing up and voting I have since enjoyed reading and commenting on Wizard 101 and KI.  I say, "Clever move KI!" rather than shame them.  It is a great game that my family enjoys playing whether we are together in one room, one house, or separated by thousands of miles.  It is a family friendly game that engages adults and children equally well and should be supported.

Special mention to Wizard101 Central and all the support they give to the community - amazing support and involvement!

• sholin1955sholin1955 Member Posts: 2

the one really big difference for an older player like me is the respect the community has for every lvl of players... i amm  continously surprised and happy that i have yet to run in to a disrepectful player when it comes to rudeness and language especiaaly cause i am a real senior lol and enjoy palaying without a lot of drama. i have tried many games and have always left even tually cause i could not put up with attitudes and behaviors,, i mean its not utopia but is is the best site ive been on since i started enjoying online gaming and that was quite a while ago... thanks ki for keeping it fun for all ages...