Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

F2P or P2P Mode for TESO? What do you prefer?

SibcoeSibcoe Member UncommonPosts: 61

Hi TESO Fans - 

I wanted to share another episode of "Sicoe Asks" with you guys, the show where we ask you what you think about various topics.  In this episode I am asking what you guys think the best business model for TESO is:

TESO F2P?

Check it out and let us know what you think.

Cheers 0/

Comments

• pokrakpokrak Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Personaly I hate games with cash shops its just pushing me back. That is why I dont like F2P most games have it to make cash. Problem is that devs of most mmo's think that if game is P2P subscibtion has to be about 15$. Why dont make it cheaper.  Why not 5$ or give us choise 5or10or15 for some bonuses in game like more character slots more inventory slots or so on but not any advantages. And never will play game with sub and cash shop at same time like TSW has that is why I have'nt play this game.
  • ScandiesScandies Member Posts: 3
    Only serious companies make their games P2P.  All kinds of f2p trash is put out and you get the lowest common denominator for players.
  • ghorgosghorgos Member UncommonPosts: 191
    Well usualy i prefere p2p as i hate cash shops but the more i read about TESO the more i want it to be f2p because i like to a have a look at its lore and atmosphere but its not worth paying money for a subscription.
  • TuktzTuktz Member Posts: 299

I haven't watched the video you linked yet, but after trying out all the different models, I honestly think I prefer the subscription model.

Don't get me wrong, I used to be excited about the f2p model, until I played it a lot more, and really grew to feel it's issues were worse than sub model's issues. I won't get into all the reasons why I grew to feel that way, but disconnected big playerbase with no real vested interest since its f2p is one. I felt it hurts the sense fo community when its just a bunch of freebies runnining around that nobody gets to know. WHew, and don't even get me started on my issues with cash shops, and things you can buy with money that enhance your character in more than purely cosmetic ways. Even the cosmetic stuff, I feel like you should have to earn those things in the game, not just pay for them to get them.

I think it's personal preference honestly, I don't think one way is absolutely RIGHT or WRONG.

But if I had to vote, I'd vote for subsciption model, but give some options on $5, $10, or $15 sub model plans. Maybe have a maximum character number limit per pay plan, so most people would start with $5, and altaholics would bump their plans up. Or other ways of giving more sub model options.

MMO history - EVE GW2 SWTOR RIFT WAR COH/V EQ2 WOW DAOC
    Tuktz - http://www.heretic.shivtr.com/

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

P2P

There's more advantages for both players and the company when you have a subscription.

• SibcoeSibcoe Member UncommonPosts: 61

Reading all the comments here and on my channel, this has been really interesting.  So far, it seems the 2 preferred models are buy-to-play and pay-to-play, the latter by a large margin.  It will be really interesting, as the risk inherent in a new game launching, even with a solid IP, and keeping players in an AvA game style is so low it doesn't bear thinking about.  

I am confident this will be a great game, let's hope the model keeps a player base beyond 30 days.  I am certainly super excited for it.  

Cheers 0/

• BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439
    Pay to Play. There are so many benefits to the P2P subscription model. I think a top tier game like TESO warrants a subscription fee. Many players will probably have multiple accounts with toons on different factions, so that will really reap a good reward in a subscription model.
  • Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697
    I think the best way to go is B2P.  Pay once and you can play whenever it suits you without feeling like you have to play continuously in order to get your money's worth from the game.

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    P2P will always be preferrable to F2P garbage. Cash shops immediately makes a game feel cheaper and uglier. Just my opinion, however.
  • fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506

I prefer B2P.

It is a very good model. The cash shop are not as bad as some F2P....

• jandrsnjandrsn Member Posts: 187
    Subscription. Given the choice of having the dev team fixing bugs, adding content, etc, or having them spend time constantly inventing new items for a mall, I'll go for the monthly sub with a focused dev team every time. God help us if WoW goes f2p, then 98% of games will follow them as always...
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

With this big of a budget, I doubt they'll give up the box sales earnings and go straight to F2P.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

I would like to see a sub personally.

It keeps the riffraff to a minimum.

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626
    Whatever will keep an item shop out. So, probably P2P - though that doesn't mean "no item shop" any more, either.
  • Chief021Chief021 Member Posts: 107

Give us all the content and let us subscribe... $12.99 per month.

I don't like paying for "extra content"

A PS4 ESO guild accepting applications at http://lowlyknights.enjin.com

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Maephisto

I would like to see a sub personally.

It keeps the riffraff to a minimum.

Funny since the best community I've ever experienced is in GW2,and the worst was in WoW.  I don't think payment plans have anything to do with that aspect of MMOs, honestly.

Add me to the B2P crowd.

• SoMuchMassSoMuchMass Member Posts: 548

Without question Pay-to-Play and the subscription model.

F2P and B2P models are for games that are not good enough to deserve a sub fee.

Originally posted by SoMuchMass

Some of those F2P's started out as P2P's.  You never know what's "good enough" until it sinks.

• SoMuchMassSoMuchMass Member Posts: 548
    Originally posted by Eir_S

Some of those F2P's started out as P2P's.  You never know what's "good enough" until it sinks.

Yeah it wasn't good enough to warrant a subscription fee, even if the devs asked for it.  If ESO goes B2P or F2P I would be concerned, to me it shows that the devs don't have confidence in their game.

Originally posted by Eir_S

Yeah it wasn't good enough to warrant a subscription fee, even if the devs asked for it.  If ESO goes B2P or F2P I would be concerned, to me it shows that the devs don't have confidence in their game.

I used to think that way too about games that went F2P, but some of them turn a better profit now.  And the ones that were always F2P like Maple Story or even LoL have millions upon millions of users.  I'm still not sure what P2P going F2P really means, but sometimes it doesn't seem that bad for business.

What's good for business isn't necessarily good for player (especially the core/dedicated gamer).

It can be good for the casual/game hopping player though, because they have no committment to the game.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,606
    Originally posted by Tuktz

What's good for business isn't necessarily good for player (especially the core/dedicated gamer).

It can be good for the casual/game hopping player though, because they have no committment to the game.

Ya gaming has changed. Subs need to as well. Casual player who plays 1-4hr a week and paying 15 bucks a month can be a little muich. Families who have 2-4 people playing together that dont get a deal for doing so. The hardcore gamer who is now playing 2-4 MMOs because he is finished all the content and needs to play more then one MMO to do so, may find 2-4 subs costing to much. 

MMOs dont cost what they used to, networking and internet costs are very small compaired to 10 years ago. Dev tools that were not here 10 years ago. My question is a flat 15 bucks a month fair? Can MMOs make more money if they charged 7.99 a month because more people would play? Does GW2 B2P with a cash shop thats not pay to win a real option?

Yeah, the MMO genre is MASSIVE compared to what it was a decade ago.

However a lot of that is due to the mmo's that are catering more and more to the casual gamer. Kind of kills the immersion for us oldschool gamers though.

But it's catch 22, more people to play with is a good thing, but no sense of community due to casual game hopping players is bad.

Gotta be some good middle ground in there somewhere. ;-)

• SwiftrevoirSwiftrevoir Member UncommonPosts: 158
    I vote P2P but by golly you'd better pack in so much content that my ADD threatens to blow my head off.  If its F2P then by golly I expect an amazing cash shop and a AAA experience STILL.  The end!   
  • SwiftrevoirSwiftrevoir Member UncommonPosts: 158
    Oh just in case a dev was listening.  I meant quality content that engages my cerebellum.  I must feel the experience.