Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guildwars 2 gets better... right?

Comments

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by Beelzebobbie

Its like this with every game that is hyped. Some people think its gonna be the best game ever, reading about it every day and looking forward to release date. But when the game is finally released it doesn't match up to the hype and this has happened to alot of games like GW2. 

This will most likley happend to elder scrolls online aswell, skyrim and morrow wind players has been dreaming for this day to arrive and when the day comes many of them will be disapointed but many people will love it aswell.

Me for one LOVE GW2 I have not had this much fun in a game for many years and I for one in a bunch of millions will love this game for many years to come. 

Please stop with 'hype' and put the onus where it belongs... with the gamer.

There is no such thing as the best game ever.  Publishers are going to advertise their game to sell it.  They are going to promote  it to get the widest audience.  How would you expect a game to live up to (imaginary) expectations from a subjective perspective?  That just sounds silly and lack of investment from the gamer.

If you are telling me that gamers are 'dreaming' what they think TESO will be before they even get their hands on it, they deserve to be dissappointed.  The game is going to be what its going to be and we can't honestly opine on it until we actually play... and for some time I might add since its a MMORPG.

None of what you said is because of 'hype'

Back on topic...

OP never said what he appreciates or draws him into an MMORPG and that is critical in trying to assist him if GW2 is something for him or not.  But understand after all of our opinions at the end of the day OP its yours to make alone.  if you feel Level 4 you are bored and dont want to invest more time to see if you will like it... just quit.  There are tons of other MMOs out there.  You don't have to draw it out or justify it.

Me personally, GW2 still on my HDD.  I enjoy the world but its missing something to fully draw me in that I cant put my finger on.  I plan to go to max level with my human warrior and asura engineer.   Engineer interestingly was my first character and I loved how he was different. But being an older gamer it became hard from me to frantically run around and manage my hotkeys at the same time.

Hope you find something you are interested in.  There's more choice today than ever.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Kaneth

Case in point. I hated the elementalist, couldn't stand it. However, when I finally broke down and tried a Dagger/Dagger ele and learned the combo fields, I was like OMFGBBQ1!!!11!WIN!!!!, this is awesome!

I agree with everything you said, but THIS is the best part, because I did the same exact thing.  Staff is meh... but some people love it.  While switching between attunements, the D/D Ele is one of the most versatile and more than that, mobile destructive classes I've played in any MMO. 

Also, recently while farming the events in Orr's Cursed Shore (you probably know the ones I mean), I found that as a Guardian my staff is much more useful in groups than just my fave weapon (greatsword), since it hits more enemies (equalling more loot for me), but also is a better support weapon and keeps people from going down quite as much around me.  The game never ceases to surprise me.

• LurkersLurkers Member Posts: 20
    LOL glad this hyped up lame mmorpg is rarely played would hate for other mmos to take the gw2 fail route.
  • ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    I got my Engineer to level 46 and I just lost interest. When they introduced dailies, I quit for good. If I wanted to grind dailies, I would go back to WoW. That's the only reason I quit WoW. Why do devs feel the need to put dailies in their games?
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Thorkune
    I got my Engineer to level 46 and I just lost interest. When they introduced dailies, I quit for good. If I wanted to grind dailies, I would go back to WoW. That's the only reason I quit WoW. Why do devs feel the need to put dailies in their games?

why grind for them? especially now they are selectable you can choose what ones you normally would acomplish during your regular gameplay.. never once did i feel i needed to really grind out dailies to get them done in the same fashion as Rift and WoW

also dailies have been in since launch.. but with the laurels they made them actually worth acomplishing for stuff other than XP

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by dauntSilver
    Just bought, downloaded and installed the game today. after playing for about two hours, I feel like i just threw away 60 bucks. I am playing as a human engineer, only level 4. I dont even know if I want to log on anymore. Please tell me it gets better and I'm just getting the wrong first impression :[

you'll really be surprised when you get to level 80 and try to gear yourself in exotics, you'll definitely notice that there's a huge economic problem that a few people on these forums would have you believe isn't there and where you'll spend months trying to gain enough of any of the currencies to actually gear your toon. That's one of the reasons I left, it's been six months and they still haven't fired that economist that and the poor excuse for an engineer class.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

why grind for them? especially now they are selectable you can choose what ones you normally would acomplish during your regular gameplay.. never once did i feel i needed to really grind out dailies to get them done in the same fashion as Rift and WoW

also dailies have been in since launch.. but with the laurels they made them actually worth acomplishing for stuff other than XP

I know that I can choose to do as I wish. But, I am a completionist and I don't like the pressure to get them done.

Originally posted by itgrowls
    Just bought, downloaded and installed the game today. after playing for about two hours, I feel like i just threw away 60 bucks. I am playing as a human engineer, only level 4. I dont even know if I want to log on anymore. Please tell me it gets better and I'm just getting the wrong first impression :[

you'll really be surprised when you get to level 80 and try to gear yourself in exotics, you'll definitely notice that there's a huge economic problem that a few people on these forums would have you believe isn't there and where you'll spend months trying to gain enough of any of the currencies to actually gear your toon. That's one of the reasons I left, it's been six months and they still haven't fired that economist that and the poor excuse for an engineer class.

my memser is about to hit 80(78 right now)  i have 15 gold, 350k karma, 35 laurels from just normal playing nothing special(almost no dungeons also) so your telling me i can't get some gear with that? not to mention you can easily do anything in the game with level 80 rares to begin with

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

I know that I can choose to do as I wish. But, I am a completionist and I don't like the pressure to get them done.

but dailies have been in the game since launch why all of a sudden hate them now? because they are actually worth more than xp now? also as a completionist you should be happy with the new dailies as how easy and fast they can get done

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

my memser is about to hit 80(78 right now)  i have 15 gold, 350k karma, 35 laurels from just normal playing nothing special(almost no dungeons also) so your telling me i can't get some gear with that? not to mention you can easily do anything in the game with level 80 rares to begin with

ill help him out - you can get a full suite of exotic gear from Orr all 6 pieces and still have 100k left over for jewelry pieces that they also sell. You have the 35 laurels thats 1 backpiece or jewelry slot . 15 gold would buy you pretty much almost any skin of weapon you choose from the auction house thats exotic , but why bother all of them are the same stats so just get a good and cool looking 2-3 gold weapon and have 10 or more gold left over for alts .

There you go im bored so I did it for him , you dont have to grind for anything in GW2 including legendaries if you just play daily and enjoy the game . I have over 100 skill points on warrior just for leveling over and over again past 80 and didnt even realize im almost to a legendary from just playing daily and not ever grinding anything. I think ive run 4 dungeon runs total since owning the game.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Baitness

The game can't be for everyone.  It suspect it would not appeal to crafter-oriented, min-maxers, healers, people that love multispecs or raiding-oriented players, but that it would really appeal to explorers, pvp fans, altaholics, completionists, and jack-of-all-trades types.

Don't forget that you can level in different ways.  Though I don't find these as appealing as the normal pve way of levelling up, you can level through crafting and pvp.

If by the time you have your favorite 3 utility skills unlocked you are not having a good time, its not the right class for you.  I was a bit bummed with engineer myself because I was really hoping for it to be more similar to a ritualist, butI ended up vastly preferring using the kits to the turrets.  Try out the flamethrower and grenade kit.

Edit:  The game is absolutely positively not as bad as some people make it sound.  I consider it head and shoulders above all other MMORPGs I have played, personally, and I have played a lot.

Worst case scenario, you just really don't like the limited skill selection for the characters in GW2 and its not for you, but I imagine you will find one class that interests you.  If the events are proving to be uninteresting to you, you may just be burnt out and jaded from MMOs in general.  I really can't think of any reason I would prefer standard questing to events, the events have always been fun for me.

If you came for the PvP, I think it is some of the best.  Though the lack of skill options hurts GW2 in terms of customization, I think it helps in PvP.  Not having mana and healers really makes the pvp feel more balanced.  There are still heals mind you, but you aren't going to possibly get healed through even just one other player going after you (at least not without skillful play to avoid getting hit on your part).

On a technical level, I think the graphics are the most detailed in any MMO I have played before, but of course art-style comes into personal preference as well.  Guild Wars 2's art style follows from the original, which I personally enjoy.  The engine handles large numbers of people fighting surprisingly well, and I have not had to lower settings even in WvW spamfests.

Anyways, before I get too carried away, its safe to say that GW2 offers loads of content with no sub fee, and that the content is some of the best developed in any MMO.  People trying to paint the game as terrible and dull are trolling or jaded, and either way there isn't any MMORPG that will appeal to them.

Why wouldn't min-maxers enjoy the game? 

Originally posted by cronius77

ill help him out - you can get a full suite of exotic gear from Orr all 6 pieces and still have 100k left over for jewelry pieces that they also sell. You have the 35 laurels thats 1 backpiece or jewelry slot . 15 gold would buy you pretty much almost any skin of weapon you choose from the auction house thats exotic , but why bother all of them are the same stats so just get a good and cool looking 2-3 gold weapon and have 10 or more gold left over for alts .

There you go im bored so I did it for him , you dont have to grind for anything in GW2 including legendaries if you just play daily and enjoy the game . I have over 100 skill points on warrior just for leveling over and over again past 80 and didnt even realize im almost to a legendary from just playing daily and not ever grinding anything. I think ive run 4 dungeon runs total since owning the game.

yea that's my point this is probably one of the easiest MMOs bar none to get fully geared.. just boggles my mind people bitch about that aspect of the game:P

• artyportartyport Member Posts: 16

I have to say to the OP

When I bought the game I felt the same way and feel that the problem with early gameplay is that your level restrict you from doing certain things. The main one being exploring. Once you get to a certian level and can explore many different levels the game opens up and exploration becomes more fun. You also have more options of what you can do gameplay wise. Dungeons etc. To get to level 40 it took me almost 6 months. I have been playing since beta. But once i got to level 40 iw as able to explore many new zones. Do fractals. dungeons. the variety of gameplay open up alot. In 2 weeks ive gottten to level 74.
     And am enjoying the game so much more.

MY 2 cents

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

I'm telling you there is literally an issue with guy it's really to the point to where I honestly believe he is pathologically lying, he brought this up so many times and has been wrong about it in so many ways it's sickening lol, dead ass it really is.

No I'm not saying this because he has a strong dislike towards the game, I mean honestly getting good gear is not that hard, getting good gear that looks awesome you got to [work] for it, getting gold you get that by saving up your money and spending it wisely. 

Edited: I don't know who cronius is backing up but he literally just made Aerowyn's point even more clear lmao.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• fat_taddlerfat_taddler Member Posts: 286

@OP - If you're not enjoying the class mechanics that's one thing, try another clas.  However, if you're not enjoying the PvE experience then you really shouldn't bother continuing on because it's really the same formula until you reach level cap.

Also, don't let the "usual suspects" on this site try to tell you how great the game is and how you must be doing something wrong if you don't share their same level of enthusiasm for all things GW2.

Out of about 15-18 real life buddies (including myself) and some long-time guildies of mine who started playing GW2 at launch, not one is still playing.  That being said, you're certainly not in the minority as some would have you believe. 

• GurpslordGurpslord Member Posts: 350
    If you don't like the game at lvl 1 you don't like the game at max lvl either.  The game was and is touted as having basically no end game, that the game itself is the end game.  That's great because that works for some people.  The truth in this case tho is that if you're not enjoying yourself early, there's not much changing that's going to make you enjoy it later.
  • Nicco77Nicco77 Member UncommonPosts: 145
    Arena net stole your sweet roll.
  • achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    Originally posted by AzurePrower

Engineer is not very fun. Try another class.

This.  It's the most boring class in game imo.  It has the least amount of weapon options and the kits are not impressive.  I would at least try another 2-3 classes with various weapon combos to see if anything resonates with you.  If not then the game isn't for you. 

Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

You sound like you're going to have the same issue I did.. my biggest issue with the game is that you seem to receive everything too quickly so combat at top level feels very much the same as it does at lower levels... at least it did to me. 

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Originally posted by Gurpslord
    If you don't like the game at lvl 1 you don't like the game at max lvl either.  The game was and is touted as having basically no end game, that the game itself is the end game.  That's great because that works for some people.  The truth in this case tho is that if you're not enjoying yourself early, there's not much changing that's going to make you enjoy it later.

this really isnt true , I absolutely HATE GW2 begining of the game and ive been playing since head start off and on . I literally have a lifetime supply of cooking ingrediants so I can skip the first 20 levels pretty much and get an actual build going on any alts I make. I play to level 5 then stop completely and do cooking on all my toons to 400 so I can get to around level 20. GW2 does not even take off until you have at least  1 , 10 point trait line and utility skills on most classes. Trait lines are your blood line in GW2 and level 20 or really level 30 is when the game starts kicking off. Hell you dont even have all your weapon skills usually by level 5 , it takes you that long to open up all your weapon skills for most classes. PVE is just not fun until you have a viable build you are using that is fitting to your playstyle . PVE is much better in GW2 than most games that just have you stand in front of a mob and faceroll it and move on to the next . At least in GW2 you get rewarded for roaming and crafting , harvesting etc.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Lurkers
    LOL glad this hyped up lame mmorpg is rarely played would hate for other mmos to take the gw2 fail route.

Over 3 million boxes sold and the paradigm shift has already began to sway toward the Arena Net mode of MMO game design.  Looks like you lose!

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• SwiftrevoirSwiftrevoir Member UncommonPosts: 158

The exit was a little easier for me since it wasn't until around 60something that I quit.  I was eased into the malaise but it seems as if you sniffed the turd a bit sooner.  The hype was wrong man, it was supposed to be the Heyseus of MMOs but sadly Anet made a completely new type of online game.  Its hard to place it but something about the design feels wrong.  Keep reading  

I will say there is some great fun to be had in WvWvW and I spent most of my time there.  Play that out and get your money's worth at least.  Its easy to compete with everyone as you're bumped up to 80 automatically and most of the time the stat differences on armor don't mean you'll be a sword/bullet sponge.  Well, any more than anyone else is.  You earn little tokens as well that you can spend on more gear as you level up which will give you something to work towards I guess. 

The jump puzzles are the most fun I had in GW2 besides the WvWvW!  Make sure to try them all before you finally call it quits.

If you're still hurting for that money you just dropped pick up a few great F2P games like TERA and Planetside 2.  Neither are pay to win and if you hear differently, especially about PS2, then know they're just really and truly noobs.  You can earn anything you want in either without dropping a dime.  However if you really come to like them then please do support some...but that's way down the line.

PS2 is one of the best war sims ever with the random element making it my favorite go to game when I'm sick of something else I'm playing.  Well I just sort of play it all the time now and visit TERA briefly now and then.  Good fun and all, but good luck to you mate and I hope you can salvage some fun.   

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by Lurkers

Over 3 million boxes sold and the paradigm shift has already began to sway toward the Arena Net mode of MMO game design.  Looks like you lose!

This really doesn't matter to the guy, in fact I know if the game did increase in population he would still say the same thing.

To be fair it goes both ways, especially due to it being personal.

For me from my experience GW2 isn't a failure, but for someone with a strong dislike they would say the exact opposite, stuff like this is easy to say.

I could name 15-19 rl friends/family members that still play the game and use that to say that people that like the game are not in the minority...somehow *shifty eyes*.

On a serious note though, really I'd ignore guys like Lurkers, can't really do much about statements like that :/

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• SNAFUdamusSNAFUdamus Member UncommonPosts: 59

I bought it in February and I am in the same boat. I bought it, played 1 character to lvl 10, then another to lvl 9 and frankly I just couldn't log in any more. The questing is some of the most boring I have ever seen and frankly the gameplay is button mash WoW style play. It is horrible.

It was a total waste of money. Frankly MMOs in general have all gone this way latly.

• enik3enik3 Member Posts: 37
    I've only managed to get to level 19 despite playing since early release. I find myself logging on for maybe a half hour every three weeks or so. It's a beautiful game, but wow is it aimless and dull. I'm still looking for what people think makes this so revolutionary. It really looks like repackaging the same ideas to me -- and that repackaging took away more than it added, imho.