Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TSW or Defiance......

Comments

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    TSW is much better,   [mod edit]
  • RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

Depends on if you want a FPS or a RPG. TSW is a very solid game, It has downsides and all have been acknowlaged by the Dev's and they are attempting to fix them. Some people don't like it, others will. There are a few Myths that i will quickly list here.

Cookie Cutter Builds - Yes the absolute top DPS are specific builds, however you do not need these in order to be successful in any of the endgame runs. Specifc Runs actually require not using these builds.

Stationary Combat - Pure lie, The game does not teather you to the ground at all. Some abilities require slower movement to cast however only one stops you, and it also roots your opponent aswell. Also moving in combat creates 30% automatic Midigation.

Buggy to Unplayable - Nope, as it stands there is one bugged quest currently in game. Others have been fixed, Some will break in the future but thats possible in any game. Endgame content however is buggy, Not because it plain old doesn't work, Simply put people go looking for a way to glitch the boss to create a easier fight. However none of it is unplayable.

The legitimate problems

Animations - even Funcom has said they want better animations, They are working on it. They recently updated the Jump animation.

PVP - Yes, Also acknowladged and being worked on. There was recently a blog post about it saying their first steps.

Content - Content is currently thin because of its recent release, Due to restructuring and moving (In some cases to another country)  Has slowed content release. Issue 6 is to be given a release date this week.

However in the end, This is gonna come down to if you want a RPG or if you want FPS. 

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    Originally posted by Rayshe

However in the end, This is gonna come down to if you want a RPG or if you want FPS. 

Could've sworn neither of these were FPS. One is a 3rd person shooter though.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    Originally posted by Yizle

Fair enough, Ill accept that. Ones a Shooter the other is a RPG. Mistake Fixed.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• ESSKAESSKA Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Originally posted by FromHell
    Originally posted by rojo6934

The number keys arent a huge problem, the animations are the main problem. I could live with spamming even 1 button if the animations were enjoyable.

I don´t get it, everyone is parotting this "the animation are a problem" crap?

here, a random TSW video pulled up with gameplay, now point out exactly where the bad animation is, the walking? the runnign? the shooting? the dodging? what?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG2EA2qspSY

GW2 here, so this looks in any shape or form better? you kidding me?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UMjdsQXKxE

oh and look at the buttons pressed,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,2, what coincidence

pathetic forum parrots, really

Oh hey its FromHell and hes bashing gw2 who woulda thought!

The guy you quoted didnt even bring up Gw2 he was talking about Age of Conan and you go and find one boring video of GW2 and compare it to a bland video of TSW. Everyone knows you don't like GW2 man. Give it a rest already.

• KalafaxKalafax Member UncommonPosts: 591

Your correct neither are FPS, but the majority of people cant seem to wrap their heads around Shooter MMOs yet, eventually they will see the light, if you ever played Tabula Rasa you'd know what to expect from Defiance as far as gameplay is concerned, but the game live and died very quickly due to bad decisions by the Company and thus many people didnt experience it and the concept of a Shooter MMO is still completly unknown to them. Defiance is trying to bring back the Shooter MMORPG, and yes it is an RPG, just because its real time combat, and your shooting weapons doesnt make it a FPS or keep it from being an RPG, you have character progression, storyline progression, crafting and weapon customization, factional warfare, its own language/slang, and vehicles, pretty much everything staple in RPGs, the combat just happens to be Modern and with guns.

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

Fair enough, Ill accept that. Ones a Shooter the other is a RPG. Mistake Fixed.

Both have character development, skill systems, gear, experience, quests, grouping, guilds/clans/corps, cities etc. So how is one an RPG and not the other? Because combat is different?

Originally posted by Kalafax

Your correct neither are FPS, but the majority of people cant seem to wrap their heads around Shooter MMOs yet, eventually they will see the light, if you ever played Tabula Rasa you'd know what to expect from Defiance as far as gameplay is concerned, but the game live and died very quickly due to bad decisions by the Company and thus many people didnt experience it and the concept of a Shooter MMO is still completly unknown to them. Defiance is trying to bring back the Shooter MMORPG, and yes it is an RPG, just because its real time combat, and your shooting weapons doesnt make it a FPS or keep it from being an RPG, you have character progression, storyline progression, crafting and weapon customization, factional warfare, its own language/slang, and vehicles, pretty much everything staple in RPGs, the combat just happens to be Modern and with guns.

Yeah it seems some people are very naive or just narrow minded.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    I'm curious to know of the people who don't like the animations: when was the last time you played? Open beta? Just after launch? Since it went b2p? In the last month or so? You do realize animations have improved since beta right? Just asking.
    Originally posted by Ortwig
    I'm curious to know of the people who don't like the animations: when was the last time you played? Open beta? Just after launch? Since it went b2p? In the last month or so? You do realize animations have improved since beta right? Just asking.

About 3 weeks ago.

• drtack1drtack1 Member UncommonPosts: 273

Well didnt mean for thi thread to turn into a flame war.

The reason I posted this on MMORPG.COM is becasue both are an MMO and an RPG. 

I just wanted some feedback from the community, and I appreciate all of you with helpful feedback! You guys are great! To those of you who come in and start calling people names and try to turn this topic into a negative one............JUST DONT POST if you have no friendly feedback. 

Drtrack there are a couple of good gameplay vids on youtube for Defiance. Also there is one that goes through some of the windows and options so you can see those. They did finally implement a match making it seems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b16lY3Zrnf8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTtup_5yk-Y

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

OP both are B2P so why not both? unless you are really strapped on time and can only play one MMO...but still for me games like TSW are perfect for weekend play sessions while Definace for rest of the week.

I played Definace beta and all i can say is that it is releasing with a lot of content so you won't run out of things to do like you do with in a month in TSW.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    I personally found TSW even less entertaining than every game you've already quit, so I can't recommend it myself.  It just looks and feels very clunky to me, not much personality in the asthetics.  I'm actually kind of looking forward to Defiance though; Trion is a solid company (unlike Funcom) and it's got a show tie-in.  Whether that show will be any good, being a sci-fi show (I refuse to call it by its new name) is anyone's guess.  Still, with Trion at the helm, you can be sure it will have years of support and content either way.

Agree with this post....I was very unimpressed with TSW (and you ahve to pay for it now to boot).....I couldn't even get into it when it was free....Just had a very short term feel and all teh cutscenes and voice acting make it feel like a total single player game....Alot of people are still hyping it because it is fairly new but its nothing special.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

The way the monsters died just looked so stupid most of the time......It was like all of a sudden they jsut fell over.....No matter how I tried TSW just never felt right.....It felt like I was playing in a prescripted movie and I was just going through the motions...I even passed quests where I didn't even do a single thing (the NPCs killed everything).

Originally posted by Theocritus

The way the monsters died just looked so stupid most of the time......It was like all of a sudden they jsut fell over.....No matter how I tried TSW just never felt right.....It felt like I was playing in a prescripted movie and I was just going through the motions...I even passed quests where I didn't even do a single thing (the NPCs killed everything).

You didn't answer the question.  When was the last time you played it?

To the OP -- see if you can get a buddy key to TSW -- that way, you can just try it out to see how it goes.  There's a thread in the TSW forums here.
  • jocieBjocieB Member Posts: 72
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by drtack1

Thanks for the info on the clunkiness of TSW. I was a little worried about that from the videos ive seen. I guess I will be waiting on Defiance though. 

I think its clunkiness is mainly on the melee side - I find ranged dps looks fine, especially in PvP.  The AoE spamming there gets a bit much sometimes.

Loving Defiance too.  For entirely different reasons than I love TSW.  They really are very different game options.

As a side note, I don't really understand why AoC is classed as amazing by so many, combat-wise - but I haven't played for a year or so, so perhaps there have been changes.  I like the game itself though.

if your married and your wife does not game like my situation then you will understand what I am talking about lol. She gets majority of the TV time haha!

Give her an ipad. My wife is getting all her shows (mostly Asian dramas, but also NCIS and stuff) on it. We don't have to fight over the tv anymore.

I never discount how lucky I am to have a gaming BF.  Honestly, not being smug... just not taking it for granted.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Originally posted by FromHell
    Originally posted by Kalafax

I'm very surprised by how many people are comparing firefall to Defiance, the two do not play the same at all!

3rd or 1st person shooter doesn´t matter, both are mouse aiming FPS style shooters, no RPGs.

Planetside 2, Firefall, Defiance -> similiar gameplay

vaguely similiar at best.  I have played all three of those games - extensively - and can tell you shooter is all they have in common.

PS2 - No MMO feel at all.  Shot until you take an objective/rinse/repeat.  The same thing all the time.

FireFall - Boring half done game.  No quests, no real content updates.  Great ideas and COULD be fun but just meh right now.

Defiance - All the aspects of a MMOFPS with decent (at this point it seems to get better with each update) story and very smooth game play.

The last two are still in BETA, although Firfall seems to never want to leave that state.  And PS2 should still be in BETA.  I have a lot higher hopes for Defiance than I do Firefall. 

I would not compare Defiance to TSW.  I would hope that defiance adds some TSW style missions to the game but that is where all similiarities or desire for them end for me.

I will buy and play Defiance, it is entertaining and Trion seems to be dedicated to making a great game with built in longevitiy.  I would recommend Defiance over TSW at this point purely because of the PvP issues.  After EA fixes the PvP (lets hope) I would have to re-visit TSW and make a decision then.  

Good luck with your decision.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    I personally found TSW even less entertaining than every game you've already quit, so I can't recommend it myself.  It just looks and feels very clunky to me, not much personality in the asthetics.  I'm actually kind of looking forward to Defiance though; Trion is a solid company (unlike Funcom) and it's got a show tie-in.  Whether that show will be any good, being a sci-fi show (I refuse to call it by its new name) is anyone's guess.  Still, with Trion at the helm, you can be sure it will have years of support and content either way.

Oh look, GW2 fanatic bashing TSW. Some things never change.

• FluxiiFluxii Member Posts: 184

Seriously, pretty much everyone bashing TSW are GW2 fanboi's.  Look up post history... and this is coming from someone who plays GW2... I just don't go gaga over it.

There's nothing wrong with TSW.

The funny thing is, people bitch about the combat (mostly the GW2 crowd), yet it's not all that different.  There is dodging there too, almost the exact same number of skills, movement, targeting, etc...  Yet... all they can say is it's clunky or wierd.

Stop trying to get other people to drink the Kool-aid just cuz you did.

Well, when GW2 comes up with 500 skills to interact and animate (Yes I know, there are passives and they don't actually have to do that many) we'll talk.

And also without breaking the NDA, TSW.  Or to show I'm not a hater... GW2 when it's on SALE.

• jocieBjocieB Member Posts: 72
    Originally posted by Fluxii

And also without breaking the NDA, TSW.  Or to show I'm not a hater... GW2 when it's on SALE.

I am confused.  What does that sentence even mean and why is this the second time (this thread) TSW and an NDA have been mentioned?  It's not under NDA and hasn't been for almost a year. 

• cyriciancyrician Member UncommonPosts: 189

Problem is these are two totally different games tsw is very mmorpg . Defience is awesome but more fps . 

Give defience 6 months after release and we will see . Though I just threw down  for the 5 docs for defience . 

But then again I am playing 8 mmo,s at the same time and getting nowhere in any of them .

Current games;
    Star treck online
    Rift
    Eve online
    Firefall

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

TSW as rpg-mmo

Defiance as shooter mmo,after beta weekend , I am make preorder,it ll be main casual shooter mmo

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Someone needs to make an "EvE or WOW...." thread.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !