Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TSW or Defiance......

drtack1drtack1 Member UncommonPosts: 273

So, I havent been playing any mmos in the past 2 months. I was playing GW2 for a few months, got bored moved on to AoW. Aow kept me intertained for 2 months lol. I then tried Terra and it kept me intertained for about a week............

I am just in a rut I guess. Nothing really keeps my attention. I have been playing more Black Ops 2 then mmorpgs which is very rare! 

I have been looking at TSW for quite some time now, the big thing that has held me back from purchasing is I hear some negative things about PVP. I enjoy PVP in a game just as much as PVE. I really like the whole setting of TSW and it looks fun but for some reason I have just held back. 

I am also looking at Defiance. I really like Sci Fi games and I enjoy shooters. My faveorite game of all time was Tabula Rasa. So far everything I have seen looks pretty cool, but I am worried about longevity.

Soooo right now I am trying to decide between the two. I know I will have to wait a few more weeks for Defiance. I just dont want to purchase 2 games at the same time and not get my moneys worht out of 1 or the other.

I am in a mmorpg rut! I cannot decide if I want to go ahead and get TSW or if I want to wait and get Defiance. I cannot decide which I want to play!!!! Grrrr lol.

Comments

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    I personally found TSW even less entertaining than every game you've already quit, so I can't recommend it myself.  It just looks and feels very clunky to me, not much personality in the asthetics.  I'm actually kind of looking forward to Defiance though; Trion is a solid company (unlike Funcom) and it's got a show tie-in.  Whether that show will be any good, being a sci-fi show (I refuse to call it by its new name) is anyone's guess.  Still, with Trion at the helm, you can be sure it will have years of support and content either way.
  • MakidianMakidian Member UncommonPosts: 208
    TSW has a great look and feel to it but I didn't like the mechanics, waiting for Defiance, if you liked TabulaRasa then this is right up your alley
  • drtack1drtack1 Member UncommonPosts: 273

Thanks for the info on the clunkiness of TSW. I was a little worried about that from the videos ive seen. I guess I will be waiting on Defiance though. 

On a side note, the TV show looks like it has a potential to be a good show. Heh I may have a show other then NCIS and Big Bnag that I watch regularly. I jsut hope it doesnt interfere with my wifes endless TV series that she watches.....if your married and your wife does not game like my situation then you will understand what I am talking about lol. She gets majority of the TV time haha!

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by drtack1

Thanks for the info on the clunkiness of TSW. I was a little worried about that from the videos ive seen. I guess I will be waiting on Defiance though. 

On a side note, the TV show looks like it has a potential to be a good show. Heh I may have a show other then NCIS and Big Bnag that I watch regularly. I jsut hope it doesnt interfere with my wifes endless TV series that she watches.....if your married and your wife does not game like my situation then you will understand what I am talking about lol. She gets majority of the TV time haha!

Give her an ipad. My wife is getting all her shows (mostly Asian dramas, but also NCIS and stuff) on it. We don't have to fight over the tv anymore.

(BTW, you can also watch whatever on the ipad via a tv using apple tv + airplay).

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    I personally found TSW even less entertaining than every game you've already quit, so I can't recommend it myself.  It just looks and feels very clunky to me, not much personality in the asthetics.  I'm actually kind of looking forward to Defiance though; Trion is a solid company (unlike Funcom) and it's got a show tie-in.  Whether that show will be any good, being a sci-fi show (I refuse to call it by its new name) is anyone's guess.  Still, with Trion at the helm, you can be sure it will have years of support and content either way.

^ 100% BS, 0% credibilty

btw TSW and Defiance are apples and oranges, you could ask if you should play Zelda or Dr.Mario.

Defiance, who knows, probably plays like Firefall or Planetside. Not my cup of tea.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

OP, if you liked Firefall you will like Defiance for sure. Otherwise you might not like it.

About TSW, If you dont mind bad character animations and boring combat (youll be spamming 1 and 2 the rest of your life and sometimes 3-4)  then everything else in that game is pretty good (In my opinion), but character animations kills it for me. I would say for good Dark themed game try TSW, and for awesome animations and combat try Age of Conan.

Originally posted by FromHell

^ 100% BS, 0% credibilty

I don't like the same game you do.  Big deal.  Get over it.

I play firefall off and on. I havent played ina  few weeks. Just unlocked the battleframes I wanted and upgraded them how I wanted. The fact that its still alpha/beta and lack of content updates is the only reason I dont playit regularly.

On the TSW topic, I hear ALOT of people talk about the bad animations and the number keys. I think the reason I would like TSW is for the lore, pve content, and the atmosphere.

And to the guy who recomended getting an Ipad..........my wife jsut recently got a smart phone haha! I was telling her to get one for a few years but she doesnt care for the flashy stuff. As long as she has a good laptop to use for her PhD studies she is happy. She studies Marine Micro Biology and is somewhat of a conservationist. 

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

I play firefall off and on. I havent played ina  few weeks. Just unlocked the battleframes I wanted and upgraded them how I wanted. The fact that its still alpha/beta and lack of content updates is the only reason I dont playit regularly.

On the TSW topic, I hear ALOT of people talk about the bad animations and the number keys. I think the reason I would like TSW is for the lore, pve content, and the atmosphere.

defiance = firefall with different graphics and slightly different features.

On TSW, different people like and dislike different things. I tried to do the same as you, play it for the Lore and dark atmosphere  which is cool and PvE content which is nice too but to me the most important thing is my character, and if i dont enjoy what i am controlling i just wont go far.

The number keys arent a huge problem, the animations are the main problem. I could live with spamming even 1 button if the animations were enjoyable. The best features from Age of Conan and Funcom forgot to add them to TSW. Sigh....

So Age of Conan is a fun game? I had downloaded and made a character and played till about lvl 5, but got sent out on the road with work and couldnt play any games for a while. I just never got back to it for some reason. How is the player base?  I was watching some pvp videos just now and the assassin seems to kick ass! lol.
    Originally posted by rojo6934

The number keys arent a huge problem, the animations are the main problem. I could live with spamming even 1 button if the animations were enjoyable.

I don´t get it, everyone is parroting this "the animation are a problem" crap?

here, a random TSW video pulled up with gameplay, now point out exactly where the bad animation is, the walking? the runnign? the shooting? the dodging? what?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG2EA2qspSY

GW2 here, so this looks in any shape or form better? you kidding me?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UMjdsQXKxE

oh and look at the buttons pressed,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,2, what coincidence

pathetic forum parrots, really

The Return of ELITE !

• KalafaxKalafax Member UncommonPosts: 591

I'm very surprised by how many people are comparing firefall to Defiance, the two do not play the same at all! Firefall is over the shoulder third person with most people playing it in fire person, the animation is completly different, Defiance doesnt have battleframes or "classes", Firefall has open world stuff, but its all based around the invasion and there isnt much store to it and then you que for PvP, nothing like Defiances open world story play which has a strong storyline/different areas/tons of optional challenges you can do to see how your score compares to others( for those who love having the high scores ) and factional warfare to fight over territory and resources. Not to mention Defiances gameplay will tie in with the show, what the players do in the game will effect things on the show a few episodes down the line, which is why the game is releasing a couple weeks before the show goes live.

I have TSW and its fun, but I would definitly hold out for Defiance instead, the animation and such doesnt really bother me in TSW but alot of the story is too much on the vague/mystery side for me and I'm always just wandering around alone trying to figure stuff out which gets stale, nothing really jumps out at you and keeps you entralled for long periods of time.

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Depends on your playstyle.  If you are more into casual games, then I would definitely recommend Defiance.  If you like a more hardcore experience, then go for The Secret World.  As far as mechanics are concerned, combat is similar in both games although I died a lot less in Defiance beta than I did in TSW beta.

• ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446

I have played both games and the gameplay/ style of both games is very different.  I prefer TSW.  Reading your post I would suggest Defiance because of the way you like to play.

when exactly does Defiance come out? I cant sem to fidn the release date. I know the show starts next month.
    Originally posted by Kalafax

I'm very surprised by how many people are comparing firefall to Defiance, the two do not play the same at all!

3rd or 1st person shooter doesn´t matter, both are mouse aiming FPS style shooters, no RPGs.

Planetside 2, Firefall, Defiance -> similiar gameplay

The Return of ELITE !

The number keys arent a huge problem, the animations are the main problem. I could live with spamming even 1 button if the animations were enjoyable.

I don´t get it, everyone is parotting this "the animation are a problem" crap?

here, a random TSW video pulled up with gameplay, now point out exactly where the bad animation is, the walking? the runnign? the shooting? the dodging? what?

You're really hung up on this huh?  Yeah I watched the video and I played the game, and I don't find the animations better than GW2's (not even sure how GW2 came into this).  It's the least enjoyable AAA MMO I've played yet. 

And my biggest complaint is STILL that when you hit enemies they barely seem to react, like your weapons go right through them.

• VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466
    No one can decide for you.

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517

OP I will say TSW I grabbed when it went B2P for $15. I figured at that price it would be worth it. It is already uninstalled. Great idea but just boring combat and did not care for some of the quests. Nice atmosphere though. Combat was mainly me spamming 1 nonstop for anima shot I believe it was called. Once in a while I did an AOE. On bosses I sometimes used a finisher for the resources I had built up. Lets not get started on PVP because there is not much to say. It really is that bad. I will say this for Funcom, their games are usually a lot better a year or so after release.

As for Defiance I only have minor experience with it. Nice idea and I liked the combat so far. I am looking currently at preordering it now. GMG has a nice 20% off for it so leaning towards the purchase. Trion should have a live stream tonight on Twitch.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    when exactly does Defiance come out? I cant sem to fidn the release date. I know the show starts next month.

April i think.

04/02/13

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

^ 100% BS, 0% credibilty

btw TSW and Defiance are apples and oranges, you could ask if you should play Zelda or Dr.Mario.

Defiance, who knows, probably plays like Firefall or Planetside. Not my cup of tea.

Erm, which part of the original post are you referring to when you say "100% BS" ?

Because someone's expression of their opinion cannot possibly be BS, unless you happen to know what their REAL opinion is, and that it differs from what they wrote ? 

But, that aside, TSW and Defiance are vastly different games as far as I can tell at this stage. I'd almost want to say that if you really enjoyed one of them, you'd almost certainly not enjoy the other....

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

So, I havent been playing any mmos in the past 2 months. I was playing GW2 for a few months, got bored moved on to AoW. Aow kept me intertained for 2 months lol. I then tried Terra and it kept me intertained for about a week............

I am just in a rut I guess. Nothing really keeps my attention. I have been playing more Black Ops 2 then mmorpgs which is very rare! 

I have been looking at TSW for quite some time now, the big thing that has held me back from purchasing is I hear some negative things about PVP. I enjoy PVP in a game just as much as PVE. I really like the whole setting of TSW and it looks fun but for some reason I have just held back. 

I am also looking at Defiance. I really like Sci Fi games and I enjoy shooters. My faveorite game of all time was Tabula Rasa. So far everything I have seen looks pretty cool, but I am worried about longevity.

Soooo right now I am trying to decide between the two. I know I will have to wait a few more weeks for Defiance. I just dont want to purchase 2 games at the same time and not get my moneys worht out of 1 or the other.

I am in a mmorpg rut! I cannot decide if I want to go ahead and get TSW or if I want to wait and get Defiance. I cannot decide which I want to play!!!! Grrrr lol.

If longevity is a concern I'd go with TSW.  Defiance is going to be far more of a casual affair.

TSW is also just plain better(and cheaper) on the grand scale.  Defiance is fun but ultimately shallow.

Originally posted by Draemos

If longevity is a concern I'd go with TSW.  Defiance is going to be far more of a casual affair.

TSW is also just plain better(and cheaper) on the grand scale.  Defiance is fun but ultimately shallow.

Please provide any factual support to your statements besides the current price. TSW longevity? This game hit the bargain bin and lower price faster then any major MMO on the market. Better how? see my prior statement as well as the large wall of complaints TSW has had hence the lack of subs to it.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

I don´t get it, everyone is parotting this "the animation are a problem" crap?

you cant even compare the animations of GW2 to TSW , combat is clunky and slow in the secret world and animations are what everyone here and on their own boards scream about is the most lacking. I can give you the skill system is similiar with the 1 hotbar approach but why call people names here when they are right and you know it?  [mod edit]