Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guildwars 2 gets better... right?

Comments

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by dauntSilver
    Just bought, downloaded and installed the game today. after playing for about two hours, I feel like i just threw away 60 bucks. I am playing as a human engineer, only level 4. I dont even know if I want to log on anymore. Please tell me it gets better and I'm just getting the wrong first impression :[

It really depends on what you are looking for with this game. I can say that it is VERY common for people to hop into GW2 with the wrong mentallity. The game doesn't do a very good job of framing itself early on. On the surface it seems like it's just another WoW, but it's actually quite a bit different on MANY levels. Those that seem to enjoy the game are the ones who realized this, and were looking for it. Those who dislike the game have either missed that about the game, or actually prefer the WoW formula for MMOs. (carrot on a stick)

That said, I will say that lvl 4 is definitely too early to get a feel for the game. I'll also say that class matters. I've played every class in this game, and there are just some that I have a hard time getting into. Other classes I can't seem to stop playing (like Mesmer and Necromancer), it's really just a matter of preference. Engineer is also one of the most lackluster classes to start out with. They do get a lot better at higher lvls, but they are similar to Elementalists & Mesmers, in that their effectiveness relies heavily on traits. Classes like the warrior are always good, and the traits just buff the strength they already have. Classes like Engi, Ele, Mesmer play completely different depending on traits (i.e. Engineers may have bombs that healer, or be tossing elixirs the whole fight, or be tanking w/ a flamethrower, etc.)

Engineers are not the most straightforward classes, and excel mostly in utility & survivability. They can get good damage going w/ the right setups, but you literally need to the combination of traits / gear to be effective for the harder content.

- There are quite a number of people who hated the game at first, and now love it. You wouldn't be the first.

• pinktailzpinktailz Member UncommonPosts: 173
    At the start i didnt enjoy a lot too, but with levels and guild, there is more people events and fun, try few classes aswell, i tried 2 before i got which is mine.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

which gw2 classes very much has in many ways.. but yes the boons and conditions are somewhat short in duration(can be traited to last a bit longer overall) but as you said the game is very fast paced

Yes, the short durations of everything borderline annoyed me. Like many boons expiring so fast that the icon went away before i looked from center screen down  to the icon on my 26" monitor. You can then spend traitpoints to make 1sec durations run for 1.3sec..all i can say to that is: seriously, W T F ???

The game was a major letdown on many levels for ALOT of people and up to today, Anet still has no clue as to how to get classes, traits, balance, WWW, economy, loot together in a reasonable way. And to get back to the OPs question:

No, it doesn't get any better. In fact the game basicly stays about the same once you've got your weapon skills unlocked. No matter what the people tell you and how to hold on to lvl 40 "'it'll be fun then", you might end up quitting before you hit lvl 30 with more than 2 chars.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Volgore

which gw2 classes very much has in many ways.. but yes the boons and conditions are somewhat short in duration(can be traited to last a bit longer overall) but as you said the game is very fast paced

Yes, the short durations of everything borderline annoyed me. Like many boons expiring so fast that the icon went away before i looked from center screen down  to the icon on my 26" monitor. You can then spend traitpoints to make 1sec durations run for 1.3sec..all i can say to that is: seriously, W T F ???

The game was a major letdown on many levels for ALOT of people and up to today, Anet still has no clue as to how to get classes, traits, balance, WWW, economy, loot together in a reasonable way. And to get back to the OPs question:

No, it doesn't get any better. In fact the game basicly stays about the same once you've got your weapon skills unlocked. No matter what the people tell you and how to hold on to lvl 40 "'it'll be fun then", you might end up quitting before you hit lvl 30 with more than 2 chars.

How boons / conditions work REALLY depends on the class. A good example would be the elementalist. If you look at any 1 skill / trait, you're like 'great.. I get a buff for 2-3 seconds max, that is TOTALLY useless", until you look at how the traits / skills / gear all compliment each other to the point where you can literally be like ... 'wait a minute, I can chain these 3second buffs together, to literally have 100% uptime on all of them, that's insane!'. Other classes, like the warrior or thief, can't really do that. Instead they get longer-duration persistant buffs, that function more like 1-off abilities.

Honestly, there is only 1 class in the game that I would say is fairly broken in terms of balance, and that would be the thief. And it has less to do w/ their math, and more to do with a combination of culling problems & the decision to make thieves VERY stealth heavy.

It reminds me of Dota2 in a way, where every class feels insanely OP once you understand how they work. The game is definitely one of the most balanced MMOs out there atm.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Originally posted by dynamicipftw
    I have bad news for you OP. The first 10-15 levels are the best part of the game.

I feel exactly the same.

• BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675

The game can't be for everyone.  It suspect it would not appeal to crafter-oriented, min-maxers, healers, people that love multispecs or raiding-oriented players, but that it would really appeal to explorers, pvp fans, altaholics, completionists, and jack-of-all-trades types.

Don't forget that you can level in different ways.  Though I don't find these as appealing as the normal pve way of levelling up, you can level through crafting and pvp.

If by the time you have your favorite 3 utility skills unlocked you are not having a good time, its not the right class for you.  I was a bit bummed with engineer myself because I was really hoping for it to be more similar to a ritualist, butI ended up vastly preferring using the kits to the turrets.  Try out the flamethrower and grenade kit.

Edit:  The game is absolutely positively not as bad as some people make it sound.  I consider it head and shoulders above all other MMORPGs I have played, personally, and I have played a lot.

Worst case scenario, you just really don't like the limited skill selection for the characters in GW2 and its not for you, but I imagine you will find one class that interests you.  If the events are proving to be uninteresting to you, you may just be burnt out and jaded from MMOs in general.  I really can't think of any reason I would prefer standard questing to events, the events have always been fun for me.

If you came for the PvP, I think it is some of the best.  Though the lack of skill options hurts GW2 in terms of customization, I think it helps in PvP.  Not having mana and healers really makes the pvp feel more balanced.  There are still heals mind you, but you aren't going to possibly get healed through even just one other player going after you (at least not without skillful play to avoid getting hit on your part).

On a technical level, I think the graphics are the most detailed in any MMO I have played before, but of course art-style comes into personal preference as well.  Guild Wars 2's art style follows from the original, which I personally enjoy.  The engine handles large numbers of people fighting surprisingly well, and I have not had to lower settings even in WvW spamfests.

Anyways, before I get too carried away, its safe to say that GW2 offers loads of content with no sub fee, and that the content is some of the best developed in any MMO.  People trying to paint the game as terrible and dull are trolling or jaded, and either way there isn't any MMORPG that will appeal to them.

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

Let me preface this by saying: In no way, shape, or form am I trying to pick a fight and/or insult someone.

1)If you give up now. You will be accused of playing too little. Which in some peoples opinion means that your opinion is instantly invalid. I mean honestly IMHO if I have to be bored at the start of a game for it to get to the proverbial good parts. Then it's a compatibility problem or bad design. Sometimes even a combination of the two.

2) If you play up to the suggested level (believe it was 60 by most folks here). Possibly even you will be labeled a troll/hater.   As people will say well you must have found something you enjoyed in the game to play that long. Just not good to force yourself to certain parts just on the hopes that it might get better. Just depends on your own patience.

3) If you don't try at least a few of the classes before quitting. Your opinion will be dismissed. As people will claim you don't know enough about game and/or it's mechanics.

Game just isn't for everyone. I got to 46 or 47 in the first month of release in GW2.  After that I pretty much gave up.  Haven't been back since then. By time I got into 40's I was just playing to to hang out with my friends. After some of them stopped logging on, had less and less reason to play.  Sometimes it's just not meant to be.  Can't force a square block into a triangle cut out.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678
    Originally posted by Cromica
    It does not get any better. The game is nothing but a massive grind that anet didn't even try to hide, but instead made it even worse with DR and nothing meaningful to do at max level. 

grind?

i didnt grind for my 5 exotics sets at all

only grind that is in game is for legendary

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Just bought, downloaded and installed the game today. after playing for about two hours, I feel like i just threw away 60 bucks. I am playing as a human engineer, only level 4. I dont even know if I want to log on anymore. Please tell me it gets better and I'm just getting the wrong first impression :[

I personally think engineer is a rather boring class, some loves it but it really isnt a good first class. Role a warrior or a thief or something. Another race might also help a bit.

Another thing to think about is that GW2 is about exploration, go out and explore the zones instead of just expecting quests to lead you everywhere. Be curious and try to find hidden stuff and events you havnt done before.

Of course the game might just not be your cup of tea but you really should try another class and moving around a bit before you decide that. I also think engineer gameplay is pretty boring, on the other hand do I love how the theif works.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by saurus123

grind?

i didnt grind for my 5 exotics sets at all

only grind that is in game is for legendary

Not really true anymore, Ascended gear (as well as dungeongear) is also grindy. Laurels is after all a daily grind.

Exoctic gear on the other hand is easy to get and not grindy, only grindy armor pieces are the cultural tier 3.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

unless you can deal with the frustration of the engineer i would suggest not rolling one unless you have played the game and learned all the mechanics first. Playing classes like that , that die very easily mesmer , elementalist, engineer etc will just frustrate you and make the game go super slow for awhile. GW2 is all about dynamic events , and exploration and the faster you can do those things tagging more mobs at once in events , or running around without dying or having to fight one mob and a time and running away , the faster you will level and get to have fun. There are great zones in GW2 but there are also terrible zones that are just frustrating to play though , millage may vary. I would suggest rolling a ranger as your first toon if you want to be ranged , or guardian , or warrior if you want to go melee. Warrior and Ranger are probably the easiest classes and fastest to level in GW2 and are the most forgiving if you mess up or over pull. Guardian is almost as strong as both of them but weapon and build will determine that part of it.

Once you start getting into your 40s and 50s and get to see the larger dynamic events , you will have some fun but those events still to this day tend to be zergy so mechanics do not play a huge part. Also read up on dungeons before you run them , they can be down right frustrating if you do not know mechanics. I like to think of GW2 dungeons more like heroics from other games and some of the explorable modes as small raids.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

I do think the game opens up a bit allowing you to do more stuff - e.g. dungeons, crafting, swapping weapons and getting new skills. At level 4 you don't have pretty much any skills and you don't have access to swapping weapons/cool engineer kits.

My point is as you have already spent 60 bucks on the game why not give it a chance? Sorry but I am one of those people who think that you can't properly see if a game is for you after 2 hours. This is especially true for MMOs in my opinion. What exactly did you manage to see in 2 hours?  Also choosing the right class is super important in MMOs to the point where it can be a make it or break factor.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    It's not for everyone.  What was your last MMO btw?   For me, i got bored of GW2 after several months, then stopped playing it for a couple months, then just started again with this latest patch.  Overall though, i'm just burned out on the genre, and possibly even video games themselves.  I even tried Second Life which was interesting, but not my thing.  lol.
  • ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515
    Alright, I'll try and reroll as a new race/character.. I also have the graphics all turned on low cuz Im playing on a laptop, maybe thats why I'm just not being captivated by the game. My $1500 worth of computer parts are coming in this weekend, so I think Ill wait til then to play again.

The Engineer is a quite a good character to play but ONLY AFTER you've learnt how to play it. It's an amazingly fun and rewarding character but I would imagine it won't be the character beginners would enjoy unless they stick with it.

This is not a game.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Originally posted by aesperus
    Originally posted by Volgore

How boons / conditions work REALLY depends on the class. A good example would be the elementalist. If you look at any 1 skill / trait, you're like 'great.. I get a buff for 2-3 seconds max, that is TOTALLY useless", until you look at how the traits / skills / gear all compliment each other to the point where you can literally be like ... 'wait a minute, I can chain these 3second buffs together, to literally have 100% uptime on all of them, that's insane!'. Other classes, like the warrior or thief, can't really do that. Instead they get longer-duration persistant buffs, that function more like 1-off abilities.

Honestly, there is only 1 class in the game that I would say is fairly broken in terms of balance, and that would be the thief. And it has less to do w/ their math, and more to do with a combination of culling problems & the decision to make thieves VERY stealth heavy.

It reminds me of Dota2 in a way, where every class feels insanely OP once you understand how they work. The game is definitely one of the most balanced MMOs out there atm.

Thank you for taking your time and writing this down.

Although i was quite disappointed by GW2, it's still on my drive and i will give it another try somewhen. I have a low lvl Ele which was fun to play back then...once i pick up the game again, i will go with my Ele and keep your info in mind.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

I just started an engineer, have him to 12 now and to be honest it's fun so far. Kits make a bit of a difference, but the profession does feel like it'll take some getting used to. Every profession plays completely differently. If you judge based on one only you're simply doing it wrong... while the engineer may not feel all that great you may find you love the mesmer, warrior, etc. 

I've between 1300 and 1400 hours played now and the game is still getting better for me. But, your mileage will vary.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

The engineer is one of the professions that starts very slowly and gets better later on, Mesmer is similar as well. Additionally, while Queensdale (human 1-15 zone) is a great place to get your dailies done, I found it to be rather bland in comparison to the other starting areas of the other races, but it's typically one of the busier zones as well so you'll run into a decent variety of folks (depending on your server of course).

Try some different race and profession combinations, and see if there is something that clicks for you. You already bought the game, there's no other monetary obligation, so you may as well screw around with it.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Alright, I'll try and reroll as a new race/character.. I also have the graphics all turned on low cuz Im playing on a laptop, maybe thats why I'm just not being captivated by the game. My $1500 worth of computer parts are coming in this weekend, so I think Ill wait til then to play again.

i would.. game looks amazing at max details as you can see in my screenshot thread

I have my settings on mid and it looks like an upgraded WoW.  On max settings, on my wife's computer, it looks like a different very impressive game.  I've never seen a game look so different from low to max settings.

OP I would pick a class which has access to a lot of weapons so you have lots of skills to pick from.  I would say guardian or warrior.  Avoid engineer and thief as they have very limited interesting weapon choices early on.

• Mikey_HazardMikey_Hazard Member Posts: 84

My opinion(s):

-Engineer is hands-down the worst profession. SOME people can make it work (and very well), most cannot.

-At Level 4 you have not even seen a proper event yet. You have not done a jumping puzzle. You have not crafted. You have done NOTHING.

-Do yourself a favor and get into a guild ASAP. The game is 100% more fun when you are in a decent sized guild.

For me personally, I had a blast leveling to 80. Once I hit 80, things got a lot less exciting and I took a break for about 2 months. The great thing about GW2 is that there is no subscription and it employs horizontal progression vs. vertical progression. So when I DID jump back in 2 months later… I hadn’t fallen behind a bit… There are not words to describe how refreshing this is in an MMO.

It wasn’t until I started playing again recently that I joined a guild. Holy crap what a difference that makes! We are now engaged in Guild Events, weekly Jumping puzzles, Organized WvW, Weekly ALT zergs, and lots of other great stuff on the horizon. Joining and engaging with a guild in this games makes a ton of difference and can turn what seems like a somewhat crowded but silent game into something a whole lot more dynamic.

Truth is, I’ve tried my hand at a few different MMOs since GW2 came out and I just can’t bring myself to get back on that vertical treadmill…. GW2 has ruined me. For the better.

Good luck!

Mox

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." - Louis Hector Berlioz

• SteeJanzSteeJanz Member UncommonPosts: 334
    yikes, screwed this one up some how, so I reposted.

Originally posted by Volkon

I just started an engineer, have him to 12 now and to be honest it's fun so far. Kits make a bit of a difference, but the profession does feel like it'll take some getting used to. Every profession plays completely differently. If you judge based on one only you're simply doing it wrong... while the engineer may not feel all that great you may find you love the mesmer, warrior, etc. 

I've between 1300 and 1400 hours played now and the game is still getting better for me. But, your mileage will vary.

I agree, it's worth trying a few to find the one you like because each plays differently.  I didn't think I would like the Engie, but it may be my favorite.  It is the only class where you get to choose your profession mechanic skills (F1-F4).  They are related to your healing and utility skills, but you can change them.  No other class offers that flexibility. 

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Tool_belt

They do play differently and like all the other professions, your class mechanic skills need to be utilized to get the most out of each profession.  It does take a bit to get going though, because you have to unlock the utility skills before you can take complete advantage of the class mechanic.  You have to get to level 20 to unlock them all.

There are other smaller advantages also, like the speedy kits trait in the adept line of the Tools trait line.  Most people don't recognize that this gets you very close to perma-swiftness without using a valuable skill slot.

Originally posted by RegalChin
    Originally posted by SteeJanz
    yikes, screwed this one up some how, so I reposted.

+1

Yes a "Delete my post when I am a meathead" button would come in rather handy.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

It doesn't get better at "X" level.  Much like the first Guild Wars, you either "get" it or you don't (ie: I didn't get GW1).  Or some people just don't like it.  And even still, some people like Athene of Athenwins on Youtube come back and wonder why they stopped playing in the first place.  It's kind of a polarizing game, honestly. 

But I agree with what others have said about the Engineer.  I like almost every class better (except the Necro which I can't get into no matter what I do).  I'd try a Mesmer, there's much more room for strategy and the class just seems more fleshed out.

• BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430

Its like this with every game that is hyped. Some people think its gonna be the best game ever, reading about it every day and looking forward to release date. But when the game is finally released it doesn't match up to the hype and this has happened to alot of games like GW2. 

This will most likley happend to elder scrolls online aswell, skyrim and morrow wind players has been dreaming for this day to arrive and when the day comes many of them will be disapointed but many people will love it aswell.

Me for one LOVE GW2 I have not had this much fun in a game for many years and I for one in a bunch of millions will love this game for many years to come. 

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by Eir_S

It doesn't get better at "X" level.  Much like the first Guild Wars, you either "get" it or you don't (ie: I didn't get GW1).  Or some people just don't like it.  And even still, some people like Athene of Athenwins on Youtube come back and wonder why they stopped playing in the first place.  It's kind of a polarizing game, honestly. 

But I agree with what others have said about the Engineer.  I like almost every class better (except the Necro which I can't get into no matter what I do).  I'd try a Mesmer, there's much more room for strategy and the class just seems more fleshed out.

Put me in the same boat as Athene. I started at the headstart and played until MoP came out, and then did the WoW thing for a bit. I started to play GW2 again recently, and wondered why I left to begin with.

I also completely agree that the game is polarizing, and you either get it or you don't, but I also feel like those in the "don't get it" group perhaps didn't delve in deep enough either. Each profession can play so differently from one another, but yet still have that familiarity so choosing one can be actually difficult. Once you find that perfect setup for yourself though, it's like a light goes on.

Case in point. I hated the elementalist, couldn't stand it. However, when I finally broke down and tried a Dagger/Dagger ele and learned the combo fields, I was like OMFGBBQ1!!!11!WIN!!!!, this is awesome!

I've had similar situations with other professions, like I hate GS warrioring, but love Dual Axes. Hated being a necro, until I did a well spec. Hated ranger, until I switched from Sylvari to Norn and embraced the GS.

I think once it clicks, it clicks and it's hard to play other mmos after.