Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

no guild wars 2 expansions currently planned

Comments

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by RizelStar
    Originally posted by RegalChin
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    If they think they can keep players interested with more mini games and stuff which is mostly what their patches are about, good for them. Whether they are correct with this decision or not? is something only time will tell.

lol  So people complained for months that there was nothing special about guilds so why even be in one.  They add guild missions, and suddenly it's just a mini-game.

Maybe they need to add dungeons that take 5 hours and require 20 people but with only a 2% chance of getting the drop you want.  I can see that bringing in all kinds of business.

How about good old fashioned fun?  Or maybe choice?  I think back to GW1 and there was no progression in the traditional sense after you hit cap in the first few hours of play, but there were builds, exploration, elites, story, aesthetics etc that kept you coming back for months.  

ANet should have had the balls to make it a levelless game. 

I don't know, this might sound a bit crazy but according to what's been done with GW2 as of late they are doing exactly what you are talking bout unless you took what Eir S said seriousely lol.

How dare you!  I AM serious!  I heard from an insider that in Exp. mode dungeons, at the end you get to roll for the tokens.  I wouldn't lie!  It's just very hush hush right now... yep.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by doodphace
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Really really sad news and it is rather masochist of Anet to think their sales will continue under the withering assault of future releases like Neverwinter and especially Elder Scrolls Online.

Well, if they continue to bust out content I would be just as happy. Don't really see a "sad" part. As a business move it seems silly though.

Neverwinter I don't believe will cause a big dent on any game and TESO will probably be short lived.

Using the term "continue to bust out content" implies that have been continusly busting out content sincle launch...which...they have not been, thus, this is sad news.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates

Ya, they haven't....

Ya, that spells our cleary that they have been among the best in addressing issues/bugs/game fixes...but actual content updates, huge gap...

every month since oct has been a content patch.. the holiday events were large content patches just the content wasn't permanent but still large content patches nonetheless.. 

Every month has had a monumental amount of fixes/game design changes, can you please copy paste all the added content each month?

I literally though you were linking that to show everyone the lack of content...if you linked that to somehow show "all the content updates", I really feel sympathy.

Not to crap on the Haloween update, it was indeed pretty badass, but using conent that can no longer be accessed to prove content updates, is quite a desprate grasp. If there were so many large updates, you should be able to off hand mention something other than a no longer accessable holiday event lol.

At least they don't need to rehash existing dungeons for a half baked upda... oops I mean expansion:

http://www.swtor.com/gameupdates

"Test your group’s strength in upgraded Level 55 Hard Mode Flashpoints (Athiss, Hammer Station, Cademimu, and Mandalorian Raiders) and Operation: Terror from Beyond to acquire new elder game gear!

The level cap increase to 55 is included with the purchase of the Digital Expansion: Rise of the Hutt Cartel."

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by KhinRunite
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Really really sad news and it is rather masochist of Anet to think their sales will continue under the withering assault of future releases like Neverwinter and especially Elder Scrolls Online.

Well, if they continue to bust out content I would be just as happy. Don't really see a "sad" part. As a business move it seems silly though.

Neverwinter I don't believe will cause a big dent on any game and TESO will probably be short lived.

Using the term "continue to bust out content" implies that have been continusly busting out content sincle launch...which...they have not been, thus, this is sad news.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates

Ya, they haven't....

Ya, that spells our cleary that they have been among the best in addressing issues/bugs/game fixes...but actual content updates, huge gap...

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Shadow_of_the_Mad_King

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Lost_Shores

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Flame_and_Frost:_Prelude

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Flame_and_Frost:_The_Gathering_Storm

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Wintersday_2012

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Temple_of_the_Silent_Storm

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Spirit_Watch

There are more, if you would like to look for yourself.

I don't think he's counting content that cannot be replayed right here, right now. I don't know why though. I didn't experience the Halloween jumping puzzle, but that doesn't mean it wasn't an added content. It just made the content more special, as it wasn't experienced by everybody.

Yea this was my first thought when dood made that claim.

At least I hope for his sake he isn't counting them, if he does count that stuff, then yea  image

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

Originally posted by nihenah

Gw2 fanboys are just too funny. Here anet is stating there is no exp in the works, still the fanboys believe anet is for some unknown reason just lying.

Its just shows how delusional gw2 fanboys are, and its quite ridiculous.

Well, your pointless slurs aside, I don't believe there is one in the works if they say there isn't.  Honestly though, anyone who thinks there won't be one is delusional.  There are zones right on the map that have levels but aren't accessible.  Whether or not they'll be introduced in PAID expansions is my only real question.  They're constantly adding things for free, but whole zones?  I doubt it.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by Nadia

related

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/arenanet-tracker/topic/253070-gw2-expansion-targeted-for-2013/

It is true that Kongzhong is our Chinese publisher and that we are working with them to release Guild Wars 2 into the Chinese market. But like with the release in North America and Europe, we will do extensive beta testing, and the feedback of those tests will determine the time when we will release the game in China.

It is also true that we have said in the past that we will do an expansion at one point. But currently we are fully committed to expand the world of Guild Wars 2 through our Living Story (you can read more about it in this blog post by narrative designer Angel McCoy)

That mean:  ¨ first, we will make and insane amount of money with China, then maybe after that we will work on some real content and expansions for the game¨. Wellcome to the B2P world. 

Gw2 fanboys are just too funny. Here anet is stating there is no exp in the works, still the fanboys believe anet is for some unknown reason just lying.

Well, your pointless slurs aside, I don't believe there is one in the works if they say there isn't.  Honestly though, anyone who thinks there won't be one is delusional.  There are zones right on the map that have levels but aren't accessible.  Whether or not they'll be introduced in PAID expansions is my only real question.  They're constantly adding things for free, but whole zones?  I doubt it.

No no no Eir, let's take a look at his pointless slurs just for a quicky.

Out of all 9 pages there is only 2 that make statements that could almost be stating that they believe A-NET is lying.

One dislikes the game and one I don't know.

That to me makes his slurs very comical.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Originally posted by hikaru77
    Originally posted by Nadia

related

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/arenanet-tracker/topic/253070-gw2-expansion-targeted-for-2013/

It is true that Kongzhong is our Chinese publisher and that we are working with them to release Guild Wars 2 into the Chinese market. But like with the release in North America and Europe, we will do extensive beta testing, and the feedback of those tests will determine the time when we will release the game in China.

It is also true that we have said in the past that we will do an expansion at one point. But currently we are fully committed to expand the world of Guild Wars 2 through our Living Story (you can read more about it in this blog post by narrative designer Angel McCoy)

That mean:  ¨ first, we will make and insane amount of money with China, then maybe after that we will work on some real content and expansions for the game¨. Wellcome to the B2P world. 

You mean "real content" like changes to zones and features added that everyone can enjoy regardless of buying an expansion, something WoW even didn't do?  You mean like that "real content"?  "Real content" that is only real because you have to either wait forever for it or pay 50 bucks?

Your definition of real content is unreal.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    No way they have 300 peeps working on gw2 vanilla currently.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

Originally posted by RegalChin
    Originally posted by RizelStar

No no no Eir, let's take a look at his pointless slurs just for a quicky.

Out of all 9 pages there is only 2 that make statements that could almost be stating that they believe A-NET is lying.

One dislikes the game and one I don't know.

That to me makes his slurs very comical.

Unless he was referring to those two posters of course.  

Highlighted it.

I must say I was shocked myself but I took it as good news, it means they are going to maintain focus on the core game, making it better and keep [testing] features on it before trying it with the expansions. Example is the living story, this is their first time doing this, I have a feeling their next living story will be better than this one as they already experienced what needs work and etc.

Same with the added content they been releasing, Halloween was a bit easier, they encountered a lot of problems with the island, but if we are all honest they made better moves with wintersday. It's risky as you can loose customers in the process especially impatient and/or ignorant ones. Though in the long run they might gain more and get back those that where impatient and/or ignorant.

To me if  they where struggling financially they wouldn't be trying to hire people still and/or would already focus on an expansion though that is not likely cause it'd cost money to do so.

There could also be some bad, but the only reasons why I lean towards the good is one I am a GW2 fan(I might loose my cred now) and second I'm going based off their patches and added content. Seems they test things and see if it works or not.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

There are two scenarios.

1. ANet lied to their investors on the Nov-2012 call; well NCSoft did but they would have gotten that info from ANet in some sort of official way.

This is the raw transcript. Pretty black and white really.

In terms of the Guild War 2 expansion pack, that also in line with the China launch are the two big events that we have for next year and for right now, internally, we are in the process of trying to coordinate those two events.

2. ANet lied to their playerbase.

I'm going to believe the second scenario since the first can mean jail time / huge fines.

If you are pro-GW2, wouldn't you want to avoid ANet people going to jail / get huge fines and just lose face to their fans?

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Clearly they have way too many issues right now to be pumping out expansions. They need to figure out a way to help solve the 1-70 barren wasteland of dynamic events. You'll get a small handful of people and that is about it. 
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    No reason for an expansion until they've milked the cash shop for a while.  

You make me like charity

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Normandy have you played the game recently?

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by jpnz

There are two scenarios.

1. ANet lied to their investors on the Nov-2012 call; well NCSoft did but they would have gotten that info from ANet in some sort of official way.

In terms of the Guild War 2 expansion pack, that also in line with the China launch are the two big events that we have for next year and for right now, internally, we are in the process of trying to coordinate those two events.

I'm going to believe the second scenario since the first can mean jail time / huge fines.

If you are pro-GW2, wouldn't you want to avoid ANet people going to jail / get huge fines and just lose face to their fans?

Option 3 makes more sense. People still not grasping how GW2 and ArenaNet are doing things differently made an assumption, now Anet is having to delicately step back from that wrong assumption without offending the people that screwed up in the first place by assuming an expansion was in the works.

One of the most interesting comments from Colin was how they plan to over time morph GW2 into GW2.5 or GW3 just by adding new content and changes. So my take on that is two things... first, don't hold your breath waiting for an expansion. Second, they're here for the long haul, so settle in and enjoy the ride.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Only the MMO gaming crowd would be upset there isn't an extra charge for new content.  Often it's the same gamers that mock/insult others for spending money in F2P games.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    I'm only disappointed by this in that I was hoping for additional races, new areas, and also some other sort of lvel 80 horizontal progression (unlock new weapons?). That was just me wishing though.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by ignore_me
    I'm only disappointed by this in that I was hoping for additional races, new areas, and also some other sort of lvel 80 horizontal progression (unlock new weapons?). That was just me wishing though.

That can still be done without a paid expansion, though.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574
    I'm not really surprised by this. The game is only 6 months old. That's it. If you look at other MMOs, content patches are far more common and suppplement content in between expansions. That's what they're doing right now. While I'd love to see new lands, I think strengthening existing content is a worthwhile effort. The game is young, give it time to grow and improve. 

Southsun says "Hi!". image

Oderint, dum metuant.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by Volkon

There are two scenarios.

Option 3 makes more sense. People still not grasping how GW2 and ArenaNet are doing things differently made an assumption, now Anet is having to delicately step back from that wrong assumption without offending the people that screwed up in the first place by assuming an expansion was in the works.

One of the most interesting comments from Colin was how they plan to over time morph GW2 into GW2.5 or GW3 just by adding new content and changes. So my take on that is two things... first, don't hold your breath waiting for an expansion. Second, they're here for the long haul, so settle in and enjoy the ride.

Since it was an 'investor call' pretty sure an excuse like that isn't really going to work.

'Expansion' means 'a product that the company will sell' to an investor in this context; it is basically asking for your income this year and a 'free expansion' doesn't cause a bump on your reveune sheet.

That or NCSoft doesn't know what their subsidiary is doing which is probably not the case when it came to that call. They would have double / tripe checked with ANet.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• Schoeneck93Schoeneck93 Member Posts: 70
    Yeah, but anyone with a speck of damned intelligence knows they will make expansions. I mean look at their first game for God sakes. It's A-Net. I mean come on. 
  • WinterclawWinterclaw Member Posts: 28
    Maybe it didn't do well enough for NCsoft to approve an expansion.

Since it was an 'investor call' pretty sure an excuse like that isn't really going to work.

'Expansion' means 'a product that the company will sell' to an investor in this context; it is basically asking for your income this year and a 'free expansion' doesn't cause a bump on your reveune sheet.

That or NCSoft doesn't know what their subsidiary is doing which is probably not the case when it came to that call. They would have double / tripe checked with ANet.

Hey, it works for me. Here's what Nadia was kind enough to dig up and post:

it was first mentioned by well known analysts, KDB Daewoo, that took a recent tour of the ANET studios

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/guild-wars-2-expansion-predicted/

In China, the company is planning to launch Blade & Soul (via a publishing agreement with Tencent) in 3Q13 and Guild Wars 2 in 4Q13 (via a publishing agreement with Kong Zhong).

Furthermore, we expect NCsoft to release an expansion pack for Guild Wars 2 in Europe and the US in 2H13.

The whole expansion concept comes from the expectations of KDB Daewoo, not NCSoft, not ArenaNet. Analysts are not infallible. They can and do make mistakes. Maybe they mistook ANet releasing content through the year as releasing an expansion because that's all they know, we don't know. But no one can show anywhere at all ANet ever claiming an expansion was even in the works, and we see Colin gently backing off those expectations put in place by analysts half-way around the globe.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Volkon

Hey, it works for me. Here's what Nadia was kind enough to dig up and post:

it was first mentioned by well known analysts, KDB Daewoo, that took a recent tour of the ANET studios

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/guild-wars-2-expansion-predicted/

In China, the company is planning to launch Blade & Soul (via a publishing agreement with Tencent) in 3Q13 and Guild Wars 2 in 4Q13 (via a publishing agreement with Kong Zhong).

Furthermore, we expect NCsoft to release an expansion pack for Guild Wars 2 in Europe and the US in 2H13.

The whole expansion concept comes from the expectations of KDB Daewoo, not NCSoft, not ArenaNet. Analysts are not infallible. They can and do make mistakes. Maybe they mistook ANet releasing content through the year as releasing an expansion because that's all they know, we don't know. But no one can show anywhere at all ANet ever claiming an expansion was even in the works, and we see Colin gently backing off those expectations put in place by analysts half-way around the globe.

But why is Anet doing this to us??? We want an expansion! I personally have tons of content to go through and I've been playing since the beginning of Nov. Although I play very casually because of other commitments. But I still want an expansion! I want new classes (even though I am still working on leveling up a second toon so tons of alts to level up) and tons of new zones, skills and PVP modes for Spvp!

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Let's say the are not lying to us, and there is no expansion played, how long would it take to flip the switch and make one?
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"