Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MechWarrior Online: Testing Grounds Update Released

SBFordSBFord Associate Editor - News ManagerThe Land of AZPosts: 17,633MMORPG.COM Staff Uncommon

MechWarrior Online players can now familiarize themselves with maps and mechs, controls and abilities thanks to the latest update that brings the Testing Grounds into the game. In addition, players can try out the Cicada mech. Check out the video to find out more about Cicadas.

Today’s phenomenal update also comes with newly trackable player statistics including Savior Kills and Defensive kills. Savior Kills give rewards upon killing an enemy Mech, if an enemy who had been attacking a teammate who has a critical component that is 50 percent health or lower within the last 10 seconds you will be awarded 7500CBills, and 150XP. Defensive Kills rewards for killing an enemy Mech if that enemy was currently capping a base, anyone who had attacked the capturing mech within the last 10 seconds will be awarded 7500CBills, and 150XP. The game will now track Mech Stats, Weapon Stats, Map Stats, Game Mode Stats and Pilot Module Stats.

Find out more on the MechWarrior Online site.

Associate Editor:
Follow me on Twitter: @MMORPGMom

• TekaelonTekaelon Brookhaven, MSPosts: 542Member Uncommon
    Will someone who has played this give me a brief review of the gameplay? I was a huge MW fan and would like to know if its worth my time.
  • GenesiGenesi Bountiful, UTPosts: 6Member Uncommon
    I am currently playing the game and have been since the Founders Program started. I have played previous MW games and loved them. This game is a lot of fun. There are not a ton of maps, but the maps they do have can be a lot of fun. It is free to play. Download it and give it a try. You can see for yourself if it is worth it. 

- Dave

• tawesstawess LkpgPosts: 2,726Member Uncommon

I agree. The best way to see if you like it is to simply download it and try it for your self.

But all in all. If you like a bit more sim:ish mech combat i think you will like it.

• ubermutubermut dallas, TXPosts: 190Member Uncommon
    its very fun if you have a group and voice chat.  it can get a little stale by yourself, but its still in open beta or whatever. 
  • TheOctagonTheOctagon Arcade, NYPosts: 286Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by ubermut
    ...but its still in open beta or whatever. 

But they'll take your money right now if you want to fork it out. With the way they have it set up to buy the better mechs and weapons for cash, its pretty much P2W.

Also, I didn't like the first person only option. Way to restrictive and using your mouse for torso twist can be confusing if your trying to stick and move. I gave it a week and I never got comfortable with the controls and view.

Back to Mektek.

• TithenonTithenon Everett, WAPosts: 112Member Uncommon

A brief overview of the game: it is BattleTech in a computer game.  I'm not talking like the previous MechWarrior games, I'm saying this is the BattleTech tabletop game, though much faster and deadlier, a BattleTech simulator.  I love the game, and it's getting better all the time.

Yes, there are few maps, but they're adding a new one at least every three months, and at least one new 'Mech per month.  They will be adding Community Warfare, as well, which is an interface that will allow you to be part of a unit set up by the commander of that unit, where you can earn rank, awards, rewards and, I hope, more cash, and where contracts can be made and games executed from.  It's been in the works for a while, but I'm still hopeful that it will come out to be a real BattleTech-style in-game interface.  If you participated in The Registry, The Grand Council, The Cobra League, MechWarrior Leagues, or any of those others, then you have an idea what it's going to be about, though on a much more specific scale, I think.  And, with the advent of Lone Wolves, you'll have both ladder and planetary-style play, I believe.

As for the first-person view being restrictive, that's a load of crap.  First, you can zoom back to where you can see, whether on one or three monitors, the left and right windows of your 'Mech, and of course the front.  Third-person view is both cheating and immersion breaking, so the developers left it out.  You are piloting a BattleMech on a futuristic battlefield, not playing Modern Warfare, Rainbow Six, or any other twink games like that; you should be inside the cockpit.

You log in, choose your 'Mech, make any mods or repairs necessary, and can either drop with friends or into a PUG.  The matches last 15 minutes and, if you're not careful, it could be far less.  If you get ganked, though, don't log back to the lobby, or you'll miss out on important XP and in-game C-Bills.  These are reasonable, you don't go up too quickly, or too slowly, and once a match is done you have to pay some money (earned in-game) to repair, though the game repairs a minimum for you (25%).  There are many types of experience points to be earned, for capping, assisting, and now saving your team mates 'Mechs, and for a few other things.  Heat means something in the game, and there is no UA option, so you have to play the game even-handedly, and the way the game is built, if the twitchers don't take a light 'Mech, or a fast medium, they can't really put their twitch skills into play.

I hope that answers your question?